Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It was looking at Louie scared that got her to changer her mind. You know, the one she had an adventure with and kept his picture in her pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Goldie episode!

Seems like she's softened up a little too quickly, but then again, given the episode's themes I think she's gotten a pretty abject lesson in everything stolen has to come from somewhere, and some things can't be replaced. Also, seems she enjoys having friends, and realises not everyone is going to be as forgiving as Scrooge. Though I can guarantee you she copied out every page of Isabella Finch's journal.

Interesting possible shout out to Pirates of the Caribbean, or maybe rather the book they used for the plot of On Stranger Tides, since the fountain of youth works about the same way. Also hey, a New World explorer actually being shown as a massive rear end in a top hat who treats human life as his to spend!. Also Rockerduck's state reminds me a bit of Redmond and Blutarch in Team Fortress 2.

Honestly, the resort name being "Conquistador" should have been our first clue.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Honestly, the resort name being "Conquistador" should have been our first clue.

It was. At the same time isn't that exactly what you might name a hotel/spa like that given its location?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGGWqJcPeMc

Can any Scots goons confirm?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Not a Scotsman, but according to wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Haggis (Scottish Gaelic: taigeis) is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach

and my opinion is that something like that is bound to have a strong distinctive flavour.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I've been in a few haggis eating contests

Socks and regret is about right.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Socks and regret is how Malort tastes, how can Malort taste like haggis

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Deathlove posted:

Socks and regret is how Malort tastes, how can Malort taste like haggis

Ah but haggis tastes like socks and bitter regret.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some of the best cooking in the world is what happens when peasants have to make do with whatever the rich people didn't want to eat, but the inhabitants of the British isles manage to resist this.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the best cooking in the world is what happens when peasants have to make do with whatever the rich people didn't want to eat, but the inhabitants of the British isles manage to resist this.

Ox-tail soup is pretty loving great...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also getting Spider-verse vibes from the previews, including it looking like this version of Taurus Bulba is combining Kingpin's role with Doc Ock.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Clearly this meant that even the British Royalty ate the poo poo the royals of other countries rejected.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

On the latest episode, I love how as soon as they turn back to teenagers, Scrooge and Goldie become 200% thirstier for each other. If Webby hadn't interrupted them, it might have ended up like that page from Don Rosa's comic with the two stuck in a cabin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New clip featuring our first glimpse of the new Gosalyn:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=otGp1iWjGOo

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Based on that, Gpsalyn should forget Darkwing and approach Webby, Lena and Violet, three young ladies who kind of define taking the bull by the horns.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

amigolupus posted:

On the latest episode, I love how as soon as they turn back to teenagers, Scrooge and Goldie become 200% thirstier for each other. If Webby hadn't interrupted them, it might have ended up like that page from Don Rosa's comic with the two stuck in a cabin.

Possibly some of the most potent innuendo I've ever seen in something produced for children, well besides maybe how Road To El Dorado had that scene implying one character was giving another a blowjob

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

amigolupus posted:

i've never read the Scrooge comics, what page was this?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ThermoPhysical posted:

The non-musical version of this one?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

ThermoPhysical posted:

In short: Goldie robs Scrooge, and when he catches up with her she's already spent his money; so he forces her to work for him at his concession for a month so she can pay him back.

Lots of stuff happens, and in the end Goldie is "rescued" by three dudes who knock out Scrooge in the process. The next morning the dudes awaken to find Goldie missing: she's gone back to Scrooge's cabin during the night. Scrooge also wakes up and thinks Goldie has run away with his gold again, but is startled to find her still there; however, she's acting too nice, unlike herself, so Scrooge thinks she's trying to trick her somehow, and they begin fighting.

Then this happens:

It's evening by the time Scrooge and Goldie emerge from the cabin.

So yeah, they can't come out and say it outright because it's Disney, but Scrooge and Goldie totally hosed.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 16, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The recurring joke with judge Roy Bean* during the previous pages is, of course, that he was an hanging judge on steroids.
So him going "this isn't an hanging offense now hang back and don't you dare disturb the two" to Wyatt Earp and Bat Masterson* totally seals the deal on what's going on.

*welcome to the Life and Time of Scrooge McDuck, where Scrooge meets the who's who of the mythological** Far West, he inspires and gets inspired by Teddy Roosvelt, and so on and so forth.

**they were real persons, but their stories absolutely count as mythology

E: Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid were also in this particular story.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

In short: Goldie robs Scrooge, and when he catches up with her she's already spent his money; so he forces her to work for him at his concession for a month so she can pay him back.

Lots of stuff happens, and in the end Goldie is "rescued" by three dudes who knock out Scrooge in the process. The next morning the dudes awaken to find Goldie missing: she's gone back to Scrooge's cabin during the night. Scrooge also wakes up and thinks Goldie has run away with his gold again, but is startled to find her still there; however, she's acting too nice, unlike herself, so Scrooge thinks she's trying to trick her somehow, and they begin fighting.

Then this happens:

It's evening by the time Scrooge and Goldie emerge from the cabin.

So yeah, they can't come out and say it outright because it's Disney, but Scrooge and Goldie totally hosed.

As an addendum to this: While Goldie did end up working for Scrooge, it was all part of her long con to steal Scrooge's gold nugget and deed to his claim. Though she does run into a bit of a moral quandary:

Another thing is that while Goldie did succeed in stealing Scrooge's box later on, she finds the document that Scrooge says is his most prized possession and that's what makes her go back to Scrooge:

The two really love each other, and you can cut the sexual tension between them with a knife, but it didn't work out back then because the two just can't be honest about their feelings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fun part is given the way the new show treats Scrooge's backstory as more or less the same as the comics, this is probably broad strokes canon. The way Scrooge and Goldie act around each other makes it about as clear as Disney can make it that they have definitely hosed.

Of course, a big part is that while Scrooge and Goldie are definitely attracted to each other and understand each other like no one else does, I don't think they'd know what to do if they actually got together. Of course, we haven't seen much of Goldie's downtime or her private life in comparison to other characters, though she does seem to like mixing business with pleasure.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Sockser posted:

Oh my goodness. But I *liked* haggis, though it would be with other things like eggs for breakfast. Did you just eat it on its own without anything else during the contests?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

I feel like Gosalyn, based on that voice should be Lena's height/age rather than what seems to be Webby and the triplets' height/age.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

In the context of an otherwise very PG setting, I tend to interpret this sort of thing as "very intense smooching."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

In the original Bulba had that dude murdered. So I don't think things are looking good for him.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

dividertabs posted:

In the context of an otherwise very PG setting, I tend to interpret this sort of thing as "very intense smooching."

the internet has photographic evidence aplenty to the contary

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The cartoon ducks loving thread is weird. Is there some place I can say it's weird.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also did I just watch someone die?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Sockser posted:

I've had haggis at the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival, and it was actually pretty good. Though their haggis might have been of higher quality than what you ate.

ikanreed posted:

Sure looks that way. How that made it past the censors is beyond me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Cockmaster posted:

Sure looks that way. How that made it past the censors is beyond me.

And honestly it's one of the more gruesome deaths I've seen on screen outside a horror movie. Straight up "You have chosen poorly" poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ikanreed posted:

Yup, also the dude you watched die had murdered thousands of people over hundreds of years.

SPRING BREAK!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

And honestly it's one of the more gruesome deaths I've seen on screen outside a horror movie. Straight up "You have chosen poorly" poo poo.

As long as it isn't actual sex/nudity/etc. Disney will let animation of kid's shows get away with quite a lot of things. For example, this happened on Gravity Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWtJHOO225E&ab_channel=WatchMojo.com

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

just a normal kid's show

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

just a normal kid's show

It kind of is now. I mean, it's not Rick and Morty but in Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Steven Universe there's been some flat-out horrific moments that you never would have seen in kids' tv in previous years.

I recall that as a kid growing up in the 80s one of my favorite shows was the old 60s era Jonny Quest because mother-fuckers died on that show. I was pretty sick of all the "everybody jumps out of the tank/plane/etc a nanosecond before explodes bullshit of GIJOE" when I discovered reruns of JQ. Also, holy poo poo, I just found out that Tim Matheson was the voice of Jonny Quest from circa 1965.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's one of those things that goes back and forth depending on how much attention the pearl clutchers are paying- or how much they're paid attention to. Cartoons do love coming up with ways to freak out kids while obeying the letter of the law.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The latest amphibia had Anne and sprig's skeletons as the end card for the Halloween episode.

Luv 2 terrify children erryday

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

T-man posted:

The latest amphibia had Anne and sprig's skeletons as the end card for the Halloween episode.

Luv 2 terrify children erryday

Gravity Falls had this for Dipper as the opening theme song in the same episode as the above clip.

Gravity Falls rules yall.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Everyone posted:

It kind of is now.

was referring to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly even in different eras with different standards there are often exceptions, overall it seems easier to get away with killing someone or something if the way they die is something fantastical or otherwise pretty much impossible for kids to imitate or if it happens just offscreen enough to be left at least partially to implication rather than directly saying it(there's a reason so many Disney villains die from falling off things)