Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

a big fat bunny posted:

That's money from being part of the Li Yong-Rui powerplay faction. Gotta hit the Power Contact from the Contacts menu (at a station with one) to cash it out.

Aah, had to renew my vows to Li. Hope he's still a good biscuit after three years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I decided to use the occasion of the CG to pull out my anti-xeno FAS and go interceptor hunting for the first time! Thoughts:

1) When I can aim, three Gauss Cannons seriously gently caress up Cyclops hearts. Usually I am not so good at aiming though.

2) I can't for the life of me figure out the correct range to detonate remote-release flak at to kill swarms.

3) Nobody told me that interceptors leave behind a cloud of death when they die. :mad:

4) My traitorous FC crew reported me to the space cops when I stashed a thargoid heart on board. Try that poo poo again and I'll reroll every one of you bastards.

5) Multiple full wings of gankers hanging out near the megaship in Onoros. Considering there's no CZ and the people they're going after mostly have no cargo and AX weapon fits, that's kinda low.

6) The top commander has killed over 100 interceptors in the last two and a half days. e: well maybe they just killed 15 Hydras, I dunno. One Cyclops puts you in the top 50%. The cutoff for 50% is 810,000, which means some poor schlub has killed 81 scouts so far.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 16, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

There's gankers at every CG. Deciat regularly has people camping out to blow up newbies going to their first engineer. Griefers are nothing new to ED.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

It is pretty fun to buy a new ship and get a bunch of features included that didn't come with my 2017 ships. Feels like buying a 2020 car after driving around in a 1995 ratler without assists or GPS.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part of me wants to own a fleet carrier now that I know they're mostly useless bullshit. Is the best cash meta still mining or has Frontier gone against everything they believe in and accidentally included a fun way to make money?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Part of me wants to own a fleet carrier now that I know they're mostly useless bullshit. Is the best cash meta still mining or has Frontier gone against everything they believe in and accidentally included a fun way to make money?

No mining is still the best source of money (drat near the only source, save road to riches).

I just spent the last couple of hours mining in an asp explorer and bought a krait mk2. Need to improve the jump range though, it's a bit short.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Black Griffon posted:

It is pretty fun to buy a new ship and get a bunch of features included that didn't come with my 2017 ships. Feels like buying a 2020 car after driving around in a 1995 ratler without assists or GPS.

I keep supercruise assist on my exploration ship, only so I can target a landable planet I want to have a look at, and the module will put me into orbit automatically and keep me there. Ideal for firing probes, or just watching the planet roll by. It's quite something in VR in SOL, watching the Earth roll by from the external camera suite with the ship out of view.

The other use for supercruise assist is replacing the old 7-second rule for avoiding the loop of shame. Engage supercruise assist when you enter the system, but keep your throttle right up full so it doesn't engage (SA will fly reaaaalllly slow), but then lower your throttle into the blue when you get within 5 or 6 seconds and supercruise assist will drop you automatically at the right moment.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I did a 512t run for 500mil in about two hours or so, so yeah, way better.

The amount I sold for was just bad luck at the time. I also had too much fiddly time due to the 2A refinery constantly clogging with bullshit, which has now been fixed. I don't have dirty drives on the cutter yet but that'll probably be a trip I make after this run as I already have the mats ready. A guardian fsd module would probably help a lot.

That being said, and accepting that luck plays a huge role, I still don't see hitting 256/hour. My best possible segment ignoring everything else was 233. Once you start adding in ten minutes of reloading to get rid of pirates every time and all the travel to find a decent price, the overall rate really tanks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pirates are a non-issue once you know how to deal with them, but fair warning, it's a very :frontear: game mechanic:

If you drop into a belt, an NPC pirate will usually appear. If you let them scan you, they'll see that you only have limpets in your cargo, and then proceed to ignore you entirely while you mine up a full load of ore and then leave.

This only works if you marathon farming up a full load all at once, if you get disconnected or need to log out then you might as well just leave with what you have, sell it, and come back.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I don't know if I'm just lucky or my DBX is too rinky-dink / my corvette is too intimidating but I haven't been ganked since the Sothis-poo poo Run days...maybe I need to visit more CGs.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Communist Bear posted:

No mining is still the best source of money (drat near the only source, save road to riches).

I just spent the last couple of hours mining in an asp explorer and bought a krait mk2. Need to improve the jump range though, it's a bit short.

robigo passenger stacking still works

not as fast, but way less effort than mining or road to riches

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Apart from surface scanning and full spectrum scanning, are there any specific changes to discovery stuff?

Don't need to mention that all ships now come with discovery scanners, found that out after searching several stations for a module.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can go back to the first few pages of the thread and read through, it was made right when the new scanning changes dropped.

Jul 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I don't know if I'm just lucky or my DBX is too rinky-dink / my corvette is too intimidating but I haven't been ganked since the Sothis-poo poo Run days...maybe I need to visit more CGs.

I went to the most recent Community Goal and got interdicted by a full wing of gankers in FDLs.

I was in a fairly well kitted out Corvette courtesy of Tommy the Newt's guide, but that guide also makes it clear that FDLs are the most dangerous ships in the game.

Full power to shields, boost, boost and just noped out of there...

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sincx posted:

Are there any rational reasons to play in Open?

Rational? No.

e: I guess if you want to have randos fill your multicrew slots, then you need to play in Open.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jabor posted:

This only works if you marathon farming up a full load all at once, if you get disconnected or need to log out then you might as well just leave with what you have, sell it, and come back.

Yeah it'd be better if I had marathon levels of time again like I had during the poop hauling days, but as is it's less time than attempting to sell and jump back again. It's technically still more money than the old lucrative way but it's a lot more effort than board flipping and a bunch of flying while you watch netflix.

As a QoL point - now that I've scanned and have the overlapping hotspot showing up can I ditch the scanner and pop in a docking module?

Freddles
Feb 5, 2009

Mailer posted:

As a QoL point - now that I've scanned and have the overlapping hotspot showing up can I ditch the scanner and pop in a docking module?

The hotspots disappeared for me as soon as I sold the scanner. It's almost like they made every single detail frustrating on purpose.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The game remembers scanned hotspots, but only shows them to you while the scanner is installed (and powered, I assume). In theory the mineral values of the asteroids there are the same whether you can see the hotspots or not, but good luck getting back to it without the scanner. In the same way, the game remembers geological and biological points of interest on planets you have scanned, but come back without the DSS installed and you won't see them.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Open is fun if you're equipped for it and not specifically grinding credits somewhere. It's more interesting to see a bunch of other players around even if they're trying to kill you, and avoiding being killed is actually pretty easy and can spice up your otherwise 100% predictable loading screen. It gets the heart rate going a bit and makes you think about how to solve a problem. Obviously it's sensible to play in solo if you have a specific goal in mind and don't want to put yourself at any risk in a fragile ship.

NPCs interdict and attack player ships the whole time as designed by Brabes himself, so the only reason it becomes a problem when players do it is the insane power and health discrepancy between shitfit and goodfit ships as a direct result of their inability or unwillingness to balance anything. If I can bang my drum once again it's a loving joke and the whole game suffers for it across the board, just less obviously if you're in solo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tommy the Newt posted:

Open is fun if you're equipped for it and not specifically grinding credits somewhere. It's more interesting to see a bunch of other players around even if they're trying to kill you, and avoiding being killed is actually pretty easy and can spice up your otherwise 100% predictable loading screen. It gets the heart rate going a bit and makes you think about how to solve a problem. Obviously it's sensible to play in solo if you have a specific goal in mind and don't want to put yourself at any risk in a fragile ship.

NPCs interdict and attack player ships the whole time as designed by Brabes himself, so the only reason it becomes a problem when players do it is the insane power and health discrepancy between shitfit and goodfit ships as a direct result of their inability or unwillingness to balance anything. If I can bang my drum once again it's a loving joke and the whole game suffers for it across the board, just less obviously if you're in solo.

I dunno if it was lag or what, but it was literally impossible to avoid interdiction from players while I was in Onoros in open. Even if I filled up my "got away" bar, suddenly it reset to 50/50 and this keep happening until I said gently caress it, killed the throttle, and then made a run for it until I could high wake out.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Being in fully engineered ships feels amazing to vaporize lovely stock pirate ships with. For literally anything else, engineering is just frustrating and annoying. Especially when NPCs have it. The balance is abysmal.

Also, even if they literally cannot kill you or even significantly ding your shields, gankers have nothing better to do than repeatedly interdict you over and over and over and over until you get bored and high wake out so they'll leave you alone.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I cannot remember how I did this stuff the last time around; what's the best/most efficient way to gather these wake scanner resources?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I cannot remember how I did this stuff the last time around; what's the best/most efficient way to gather these wake scanner resources?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4HClk1cRIo&t

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Being in fully engineered ships feels amazing to vaporize lovely stock pirate ships with. For literally anything else, engineering is just frustrating and annoying. Especially when NPCs have it. The balance is abysmal.

Braben's Intended Gameplay(c) of having the most dangerous pirate in the galaxy jump 200 times to get out to the random system I'm in with a ship that took a lifetime of combat engineering purely to ambush me for the $5 apple in my cargo hold never stops being :rolleyes:. So I high wake out or quit out or whatever because it's entirely one-sided. When I get around to grinding rank it'll be in a fully tricked out FDL in a conflict zone.

There's also, regardless of ship, no way in hell I'm going to beat someone who specifically plays for the PvP and has spent eight years fighting other people with FA permanently off. It's the same as any other game using the "PvP" title - it effectively splits the game in half regardless of the dev's assertion that it's all part of one game. I might be able to high wake out, but at that point it's the same as fighting NPCs, so there's zero reason to ever touch open.

This will change in the next expansion where I'll park at the newbie station and sit in one of those areas with a view of the landing pads because watching people fail at landing is great.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Playing multiplayer with random people on the internet is never fun in any game ever if you're older than 23.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

PerniciousKnid posted:

Playing multiplayer with random people on the internet is never fun
Actually I like it when idiots are mad at me for the dumbest loving reasons

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

PerniciousKnid posted:

Playing multiplayer with random people on the internet is never fun in any game ever if you're older than 23.

Unless it's co-op. Monster Hunter World SOS flares are the best. Someone somewhere in the world goes, "help me!" and their fellow hunters fly in to bail them out. It's the most wholesome multiplayer ever. :allears:

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Ive played in Open a fair bit and ran into people very rarely, mostly if I was doin shenanigans in the Plieades or something.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Shine posted:

Unless it's co-op. Monster Hunter World SOS flares are the best. Someone somewhere in the world goes, "help me!" and their fellow hunters fly in to bail them out. It's the most wholesome multiplayer ever. :allears:

Elite certainly could implement something very much like that, with a Broadcast SoS button or whatever, except you'd immediately come up against ~mY iMmerSion~ on the forums and it'd be shitcanned. MHW had some really lovely multiplayer issues but none of them were inherently based on the players being presented with possible fun then recoiling in horror.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's fine in Tetris 99 or Mario 35. Because you don't have to talk to people. :v:

However, in Elite I don't actually mind talking to people. I'm only playing in Open when I'm outside the Bubble anyway. So Elite is more like a single player game with a chat system from my view point.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

I'm a depressing number of years beyond 23 and I still find open fun but I guess I'm weird. A lot of gankers are actually quite poo poo pilots so the skill gap is smaller than you'd think, they're dangerous mainly just because they silo up an incredible ship while casual players have 1/5th the healthpool. Dedicated PvP people tend to hang out in their own corners, organising matches on discord, because one-shotting type 9s isn't fun if you're the kind of person who actually wants a challenge.

I view open encounters in elite a lot like the multiplayer in dark souls, most of the time it's just useless text on the floor, sometimes someone will try to kill you, sometimes you can get help... and if at any point you aren't in the mood you just opt out. Nothing wrong with opting out, but the insistence that there's no conceivable value in interaction is kinda weird to me.

Thundarr posted:

I dunno if it was lag or what, but it was literally impossible to avoid interdiction from players while I was in Onoros in open. Even if I filled up my "got away" bar, suddenly it reset to 50/50 and this keep happening until I said gently caress it, killed the throttle, and then made a run for it until I could high wake out.

Yeah it's very difficult to win the minigame, the best option is usually to submit, boost towards and past your attacker and wake. Again the whole system is let down by frontier being bad at making games.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Even if they literally cannot kill you or even significantly ding your shields, gankers have nothing better to do than repeatedly interdict you over and over and over and over until you get bored and high wake out so they'll leave you alone.

This is definitely true and annoying, but is also exactly what NPCs do under the same circumstances. The only difference is NPCs are incredibly weak and dumb (which is a problem in and of itself imo). Making the minigame work properly would help, adding a cooldown timer to interdictors would be one of the easiest ways to solve it. Doing that and narrowing the enormous power discrepancy would be ideal. Loads of players would probably still not want to play in open under improved circumstances, and that's fine, but the real enemy is always Frontier for making bad game badly and failing to implement a non-terrible c&p system.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tommy the Newt posted:

This is definitely true and annoying, but is also exactly what NPCs do under the same circumstances. The only difference is NPCs are incredibly weak and dumb (which is a problem in and of itself imo). Making the minigame work properly would help, adding a cooldown timer to interdictors would be one of the easiest ways to solve it. Doing that and narrowing the enormous power discrepancy would be ideal. Loads of players would probably still not want to play in open under improved circumstances, and that's fine, but the real enemy is always Frontier for making bad game badly and failing to implement a non-terrible c&p system.

Nah, NPCs are very easy to shake off if you don't want to be interdicted by them. Their interdictions are usually not at all challenging, they warn you ahead of time before they interdict you, and if you escape, they don't bother you again for a while. Players will jump out right after you and immediately interdict you again before you've gone 5 Ls.

It's not really an issue, especially since they'll only ever bother you in designated Ganker Zones like Deciat and CGs, but they will definitely continue pursuing you, even with no hope whatsoever of doing any damage to you, for a dozen interdictions to just stop you from going where you're trying to go and force you to leave the system. NPCs won't do that, but they will also bother you anywhere and everywhere even when it makes no sense at all and you're just trying to do a nice painite milk run in the middle of nowhere.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Are there any cool new exploration ships, or is my good old diamondback still the star whilst saving up for an anaconda and related upgrades?

Neato, thanks!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Black Griffon posted:

Are there any cool new exploration ships, or is my good old diamondback still the star whilst saving up for an anaconda and related upgrades?

Krait Phantom, Asp Explorer are both good exploration ships.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nah, NPCs are very easy to shake off if you don't want to be interdicted by them.

Which is why I said "under the same circumstances" and suggested fixing the minigame.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've got an Asp, but it's easier to rig my Diamondback for longer rage (at least at the moment). Will check out that Krait though, that's an entirely new ship for me.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Black Griffon posted:

There's pretty much 4 dedicated exploration ships that you can get, Diamondback Explorer, Asp Explorer, Krait Phantom and the Anaconda. The first three of those will all have pretty similar jump ranges once they are fully engineered and then you have the Anaconda which jumps about 10ly further than the rest of them. You can pretty much choose between the first three based on how much you like the look of them, there's only around 2ly jump difference. Fitting everything you want on the DBX can get a bit tough though, it's a little short on slots with the addition of the guardian FSD booster.

For reference here is my exploraconda build https://s.orbis.zone/9qtK. That's pretty much minmaxed for the greatest jump range while still having shields and the ability to boost. With the same basic fitting the other three ships mentioned are all jumping around 67-69ly with a full tank compared to the 79ly on the conda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Tried painite laser mining for the first time and made just over 80 mil in about an hour. Not bad and the only real annoyance was when my collector limpers suicided.