Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

0 rows returned posted:

tbf you can dismember a zombie in like 2 slashes and i dont know about your experience dismembering people but it takes quite the toll on a pocket knife

It really depends on where and how you cut them; with care and some minimal cleaning, I’ve done 10 or so without even needing to sharpen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Plaything through Nightmare mode in Re3:R for the first time using mainly the Rai-Den gun was somehow both the worst decision and the best at the same time.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

yeah but for real, i think Rev2 is very underrated. I think it laid some of the groundwork for the RE2 remake, as an attempt to use some of the classic horror gameplay in a modern third person shooter format. It's not super scary, but it's trying!

What's the deal with the Revelations games? Are they not canon? I think I own both of them through Xbox Gold promotions, but I never got around to playing them since I never heard much about them compared to the main series.

I just started 7 a few nights ago. I was kind of put off by the initial differences to the series and it felt a bit like more like Amnesia or those other first person games where you just have to hide from the bad guys in kind of scripted sequences. I'm finding keys in grandfather clocks and doing shadow puzzles now, though, so yes this is definitely a Resident Evil game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pooch516 posted:

What's the deal with the Revelations games? Are they not canon? I think I own both of them through Xbox Gold promotions, but I never got around to playing them since I never heard much about them compared to the main series.
They're canon, but they were experimental and released episodically, which I imagine did a lot to hurt their popularity. The first game was also simply not very good. The second Revelations game is excellent (and features a playable Barry Burton, Gun Dad extraordinaire) but I replayed both games only recently and the first Revelations game just doesn't compare. It's rougher and less interesting in every sense - plot, characterization, design, gameplay, even the graphics and animations are worse. A lot of people were probably turned off the series by the first game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

pooch516 posted:

Rev2 is the most canon since RE1.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

pooch516 posted:

I just started 7 a few nights ago. I was kind of put off by the initial differences to the series and it felt a bit like more like Amnesia or those other first person games where you just have to hide from the bad guys in kind of scripted sequences. I'm finding keys in grandfather clocks and doing shadow puzzles now, though, so yes this is definitely a Resident Evil game.

They’re canon, but they take place in between the main games, and they’re kind of side diversions where Chris/Jill or Claire/Barry stop some wacky viral outbreak with a new cast of eclectic characters that we never see again.

The first one was a big deal because it was a 3DS game, and it was a comparatively dark, intense title for the platform with amazing graphics. It also got attention because some of the segments with Jill were pretty spooky, which was rare for Resident Evil at the time.

The second was an episodic release on consoles. It was fun if you were playing each episode week by week, but I think a lot of consumers were less interested. You don’t lose anything by playing it as a normal game. I think it’s much more solid than Rev1, but they’re both pretty basic budget games compared to the mainline.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing RE3 (original) Mercenaries at the moment and trying to unlock all the infinite weapons. Anyone got any tips for maximising points without too much effort please? I can get about 1,100 per run at the moment but tend to run out of time trying to rescue all the civilians.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Convex posted:

Playing RE3 (original) Mercenaries at the moment and trying to unlock all the infinite weapons. Anyone got any tips for maximising points without too much effort please? I can get about 1,100 per run at the moment but tend to run out of time trying to rescue all the civilians.

There's a real stupid infinite points trick if you can get most of the way through the map. There's a hallway near the warehouse (I want to say it's where Jill has to burn the rope off the door with the lighter in the main game?) that's occupied by a pack of dogs, but has a stack of pallets you can climb on top of. They can't hit you, but you can stay up there and mash dodge for free evasions, which adds time to the clock and points to your final score.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Rev 2 is good because hot dad Barry is amazing *smashes door open with logs* "Who's the master of unlocking now?!" And his Great Value Liam Neeson/Taken stuff is :discourse:

Claire's SxS shotgun is also pretty gangster

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Rev2 is the only modern RE I havent beaten and I really need to do that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Wanderer posted:

There's a real stupid infinite points trick if you can get most of the way through the map. There's a hallway near the warehouse (I want to say it's where Jill has to burn the rope off the door with the lighter in the main game?) that's occupied by a pack of dogs, but has a stack of pallets you can climb on top of. They can't hit you, but you can stay up there and mash dodge for free evasions, which adds time to the clock and points to your final score.

Oh cool I'll look into that! Cheers!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The first Revelations is good, actually. If you’re looking for a sort of arcadey take on RE4 and with the understanding that you’re playing a DS game.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I would argue Rev 1 is more like classic RE with modern controls. At least that seemed like the idea. The parts on the ship play out that way. The flashbacks and whatnot are more shooty shooty. It’s actually a very well done game, especially considering its handheld origins.

However, Rev 2 trumps it by a mile imo. The story is engaging and relevant to lore nerds. The characters are better. The combination of modern controls and survival horror is more well realize. I liked everything about it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Danknificent posted:

Rev 2 is good because hot dad Barry is amazing *smashes door open with logs* "Who's the master of unlocking now?!" And his Great Value Liam Neeson/Taken stuff is :discourse:

Claire's SxS shotgun is also pretty gangster

"I was almost a Claire Sandwich!"

"Oh god, dad still tells that story?"

I want a DLC for the RE1 remaster that just changes all the dialogue back to the original RE1 script.

Same voice actors as the normal remake, just hamming it up with cheesy 90's dialogue.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Rev 2 is probably also the only game to feature "Go sit on a dildo!" in its dialogue.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I feel like the crazy one for thinking Rev 2 was much worse than Rev 1 by a long shot. The raid mode was much worse. The locations in Rev 2 was much less interesting and I hated the character switching.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

theres so little character switching i cant see how it could possibly bother anyone unless you really can't emotionally handle the glasps

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Rev 2 had a good story albeit you have to know how to trigger the good ending as it's really unintuitive. I really love that they brought back original RE1 Barry Burton including the incredible one-liners.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Convex posted:

Rev 2 had a good story albeit you have to know how to trigger the good ending as it's really unintuitive. I really love that they brought back original RE1 Barry Burton including the incredible one-liners.
It’s not “really unintuitive”, the entire Moira arc is leading up to that exact moment.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It’s not “really unintuitive”, the entire Moira arc is leading up to that exact moment.

Maybe not to you but I found it to be and a lot of people have the same issue.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's because you have to not do what the game tells you. You're conditioned to mash the QTE buttons because in every other circumstance not doing it would lead to instant death and you wouldn't think to ignore it and switch to Moira unless you were curious to see if you could.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, it is

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's mechanically unintuitive, but it's narratively sound.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Vakal posted:

Rev 2 is probably also the only game to feature "Go sit on a dildo!" in its dialogue.

Sold!

Maybe one of the Rev games will be my next Resident Evil I try. I skipped 6 since I know must people hate it, but I do like the third-person style of 4 and 5.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's mechanically unintuitive, but it's narratively sound.
I had a little think about it after my post, and this is sorta where I ended up, except I'd use the word (un)intuitive for both. I didn't even consider the option of not switching the character; the narrative arc was so clear to me that it basically blinded me to the mechanical side of things, which seems to be the exact opposite experience of people who are more in tune with game mechanics at a meta level.

Funny how the Burtons end up being the center of two such hidden narrative checks. Like, it has to have been on purpose that the one game where they bring back good/bad endings, it's centered around Burton (family) drama again.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 18, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Personally I’m not sure about the narrative soundness of ”I shot my sister with one of my dad’s guns when I was young so now I hate guns but I guess I should actually love guns.” Particularly when combined with “to save someone who doesn’t actually need my help at all.”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

pooch516 posted:

Sold!

Maybe one of the Rev games will be my next Resident Evil I try. I skipped 6 since I know must people hate it, but I do like the third-person style of 4 and 5.

I would say Rev2 is the best followup to 4, before they started the remakes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

Personally I’m not sure about the narrative soundness of ”I shot my sister with one of my dad’s guns when I was young so now I hate guns but I guess I should actually love guns.” Particularly when combined with “to save someone who doesn’t actually need my help at all.”

wait she used the power of love for guns to fire the gun? wow!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

pooch516 posted:

Sold!

Try 6 if you liked 4 & 5, especially because it's cheap now. It action RE bent to breaking point, but if memory serves correctly it has some cool set-pieces and one genuinely apocalyptic one. It's no series highlight, but I certainly didnt regret playing it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

When my brother and i played Rev2 we got the "bad" ending because Claire has to button mash way less than Moira does so Claire killed that guy way before Moira could do it. It's a good thing we looked up there even being additional endings because man is the "true" ending so much better

That last section is the only time Player 2 gets to actually shoot a gun, as they are Claire in the chopper helping Barry IIRC

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

It's literally just "overcoming your fears to save someone you hold dear", a pretty common plot point. Doesn't matter that Claire didn't need saving, it's the overcoming that's important. The guns aren't the point either, though obviously they are important as a narrative justification for the game's mechanics.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Try 6 if you liked 4 & 5, especially because it's cheap now. It action RE bent to breaking point, but if memory serves correctly it has some cool set-pieces and one genuinely apocalyptic one. It's no series highlight, but I certainly didnt regret playing it.

I'll probably get to it eventually just be a completionist.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE6 is super fun imo. Much better than 5

I beat the first episode of Rev2 and then discovered it’s the only episode I own??? I could’ve sworn I got the whole thing on sale a while back

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

RE6 is super fun imo. Much better than 5

I beat the first episode of Rev2 and then discovered it’s the only episode I own??? I could’ve sworn I got the whole thing on sale a while back

The first episode gets the main store page and the other 4 episodes are “DLC” for it. So if you only bought the main item you only got episode 1.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

The first episode gets the main store page and the other 4 episodes are “DLC” for it. So if you only bought the main item you only got episode 1.

No I realize that, but I could have sworn I got the whole thing with all episodes from humble bundle or something

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
There will probably be a halloween sale where it can be gotten for cheap

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Danknificent posted:

Good point. I think I got one of them for free a whole back with Xbox Gold, and I would be surprised if it was just the first episode, but who knows.

Anyway, RE7 might be the grossest/most unsettling the series has got for me since the stuff with Lisa Trevor. I just finished the second area, fighting the mother in the greenhouse and all I have to say is, good job to the sound effects team who created the audio for that boss fight.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Danknificent posted:

Humble Bundle is doing exactly that and the deluxe edition is $7.49 so I have the whole game now!

pooch516 posted:

Good point. I think I got one of them for free a whole back with Xbox Gold, and I would be surprised if it was just the first episode, but who knows.

Anyway, RE7 might be the grossest/most unsettling the series has got for me since the stuff with Lisa Trevor. I just finished the second area, fighting the mother in the greenhouse and all I have to say is, good job to the sound effects team who created the audio for that boss fight.

RE7 is very very gross, just walking around the environments is unsettling. It's so good

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Humble Bundle is doing exactly that and the deluxe edition is $7.49 so I have the whole game now!

RE7 is very very gross, just walking around the environments is unsettling. It's so good

Retrieving the key from the policeman's neck must have been interesting in VR :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Convex posted:

Retrieving the key from the policeman's neck must have been interesting in VR :stonk:

I learned from watching a speedrun that the Japanese version just has you pick up the key next to his body lol