Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That whole part was super moving for me, and if you folks who didn't like the episode didn't even see it, I guess that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Wait, wasn't the sphere data in the suit?

The suit that she ordered to self destruct?

That suits coming back up one way or another. Wild speculation time: Putting the data destruction to one side, maybe the bomb she sent to the future blew up something important, so the future people tried to stop the federation before they could build the suit-bomb but didn't realise it came from the even distant-er past.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Lol @ this season’s premise: Star Trek Andromeda

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Trek tech gets retconned frequently, but dilithium doesn't make warp, it just regulates a matter/antimatter reaction. And since a M/AM reaction provides the maximum possible energy from any fuel, you'd probably still use that for power with some other FTL tech.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I'm pretty sure the idea in nu-trek is dilithium is just like gas for your car though

You put it in your brewery engineering system

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Some of the Sheep posted:

Lol @ this season’s premise: Star Trek Andromeda

It won't be Andromeda unless they spend an entire season using a bar on a desert planet as the backdrop for every single episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Trek tech gets retconned frequently, but dilithium doesn't make warp, it just regulates a matter/antimatter reaction. And since a M/AM reaction provides the maximum possible energy from any fuel, you'd probably still use that for power with some other FTL tech.

The whole way that warp cores are depicted on screen doesn't even make sense so I'm ok with then fudging things a little. They're basically just reaction chambers, put matter and anti-matter in, get plasma out. The whole concept of an uncontrollable warp core breach should be basically impossible since you can just turn off the anti-matter supply.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

King Burgundy posted:

That whole part was super moving for me, and if you folks who didn't like the episode didn't even see it, I guess that makes sense.

I'll agree with that. The whole ending bit with Sahil was pretty moving, cheesy flag thing and all. I'm not going to know what to think if DISCO joins TLD as Star Trek for people who love Star Trek, but I'm going to like it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

gently caress the picard haters, p.stew chewing the scenery as an eyepatch-wearing french pirate is absurd and i love it. it's ok to like dumb things. and star trek has plenty of dumb things. And like Mr. Mot's Hair Emporium.

why yes, this is the first time i've watched picard.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

also, i'm digging the ship having a bunch of hologram assistants that are just the captain with different accents. good use of an actor.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I liked the Cargo Cult Starfleet guy, but he raises questions. His father and grandfather managed to have kids while still performing vital Sitting In A Room Doing Nothing duties, does that mean that station still has a sizable population? Or has everyone left but him?

I just hope he had a holodeck. Do you think he's ever known love? What kind of snarky quips is he going to be able to toss out in a tense situation? Boy I hope this guy becomes a valued member of the Disco crew so we can learn all about him.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
If he joins the Disco crew and actually goes on the ship with them, I hope there are some "Hello computer" esque moments for him, or whatever the equivalent would be for going from the 32nd-23rd century. Like maybe these primitive fucks don't use three seashells.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
And how long has been isolated and alone? Unless his dad died last week he should be poo poo-throwing insane right?

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Discovery has some cool ideas and unlike many I like Michael but man this episode was really badly directed. Just a mess of superficially flashy techniques thrown together with no thought to how they work in context. Constantly roving handheld for no reason, weird jump cuts that actually hurt the flow of the performance during Michael’s weed rant, etc. Framing, editing, and choreography could be a lot better.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Strong Convections posted:

Wait, wasn't the sphere data in the suit?

The suit that she ordered to self destruct?

That suits coming back up one way or another. Wild speculation time: Putting the data destruction to one side, maybe the bomb she sent to the future blew up something important, so the future people tried to stop the federation before they could build the suit-bomb but didn't realise it came from the even distant-er past.

The sphere data is in the Discovery, that's why they sent the Discovery into the future.

If the rest is about what Burnham did with the suit - she sent it back to 2258 to send the seventh red burst signal that Spock saw at the end of the final episode that confirms she made it to the future. Then had it self destruct so a time suit isn't floating around in space in the past as evidence of what they did.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

xerxus posted:

This Sahil trashing is gross. For all we know, he only spends an hour each day at the reception, and the rest of the time he's trying to repair the station, and self-teach Starfleet Courses.

That would be a totally reasonable character, but that's not what is presented on screen. The point of the intro is that he spends every day doing exactly the same routine - getting up, brushing teeth, literally bag holding a flag he can't raise, and staring at a sensor screen. The point of his character is that he is doing the same thing over and over again because he hasn't lost hope that someone from Starfleet will show up.

e: I'll give some credit - Book knows who he is and that he's there. But that's the only concession the show hints at that the guy hasn't just wasted his life in a white box.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Seemlar posted:

The sphere data is in the Discovery, that's why they sent the Discovery into the future.

If the rest is about what Burnham did with the suit - she sent it back to 2258 to send the seventh red burst signal that Spock saw at the end of the final episode that confirms she made it to the future. Then had it self destruct so a time suit isn't floating around in space in the past as evidence of what they did.
Ah! Of course! For some reason I had it in my head the Discovery & crew went through to keep Michael company and the suit had the data.
I though she told it to go to the future and explode after setting the last signal this episode though? Might have misheard, I'll need to rewatch.

I've liked most of the promo images on Netflix for the series, but I have to say, this is the ugliest one I've seen:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the concept of the federation needing to be restored in what I assume is a diystopian future is edgy and grim dark so if you are already there might as well commit

There is a nearly infinite gulf between a Canticle for Leibowitz and The Road.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

xerxus posted:

This Sahil trashing is gross. For all we know, he only spends an hour each day at the reception, and the rest of the time he's trying to repair the station, and self-teach Starfleet Courses.

I'm assuming he spends his days reading logs from old missions to get a feel for the federation's history and creating wildly inaccurate fanfiction vidlogs he broadcasts to get people to remember the fed [cut to an episode of ToS]

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

King Burgundy posted:

Burnham literally gives him a commission. And then they do the flag. Did you miss some of the episode?

"Mr. Sahil, you are as real a federation officer as any I have ever met. If you would do me the honor we need an acting communications chief who can keep searching for my ship. Will you accept the commission?"

I think you're misunderstanding that post. The question is why he hasn't already been commissioned if there have already been a couple Starfleet ships flying around for (presumably) his whole life, which we know there are because he can detect them. I don't think this is a strong objection: those guys are probably busy with other stuff and may not know he's even there. But the posts aren't asking about Burnham.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

CaptainSkinny posted:

The part about The Burn that I'm curious about is how Starfleet can claim it will never happen again.

Can't was the line, basically the implication is the Fed investigated it, said yeah we got no clue why and it could happen again. Like imagine tomorrow every single fuel powered vehicle went boom, billions of casualties, no clue why and no promise that it wouldn't happen again, the world would be fundamentally different and you wouldn't just be able to transition to solar energy because those supply lines violently exploded alongside any expertise that happened to be near any fuel.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

The whole way that warp cores are depicted on screen doesn't even make sense so I'm ok with then fudging things a little. They're basically just reaction chambers, put matter and anti-matter in, get plasma out. The whole concept of an uncontrollable warp core breach should be basically impossible since you can just turn off the anti-matter supply.

i didn't remember or notice at the time but after lower decks' gushing over warp cores i went back and watched a few scenes and i'm very very amused that the warp core breach visual effect is always steam just flying out of a random seam

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure we're gonna find out the Burn was caused by someone who will turn out to be the antagonists for the season.

Yeah, the writers.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A.o.D. posted:

There is a nearly infinite gulf between a Canticle for Leibowitz and The Road.

I mean yes but that’s why you use context in a discussion, generally

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure we're gonna find out the Burn was caused by someone who will turn out to be the antagonists for the season.

We're going to have 12 episodes of the protagonists solving all of their problems through violence and then a speech in the finale about how violence isn't the answer.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, the writers.

:sickos:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Also the violence will have turned out to be the cause of all their problems in the first place, but they'll still decide they're the best ones to fix it with fists all season four

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As much as I love time loops and predestination paradoxes, I’m getting kinda tuckered out by “it was us all along :aaa:” arcs. I hope this season doesn’t rely on that with The Burn.

Aw who am I kidding. It will.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

As much as I love time loops and predestination paradoxes, I’m getting kinda tuckered out by “it was us all along :aaa:” arcs. I hope this season doesn’t rely on that with The Burn.

Aw who am I kidding. It will.

The plus side is they can end the series with a giant gently caress YOU button to undo the entire thing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The way she hastily sends off the red suit on its own to send the final signal, I'd be really surprised if it doesnt somehow factor back in.

If not as a huge plot device, at the very least to send cannibal hitler back in time to star in the Section 31 show. They'll find the suit embedded in an asteroid or something, rusty and malfunctioning with age.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
A lot of the episode was filmed in awesome places in Iceland and that made me happy. That area under the waterfall is a really neat place that you can actually walk behind (fun fact, it was also a location featured during a season of The Amazing Race). I hope they weren't walking on the moss-covered volcanic fields though, as that can damage the ecosystem there.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

The way she hastily sends off the red suit on its own to send the final signal, I'd be really surprised if it doesnt somehow factor back in.

If not as a huge plot device, at the very least to send cannibal hitler back in time to star in the Section 31 show. They'll find the suit embedded in an asteroid or something, rusty and malfunctioning with age.

Maybe so, but I'm thinking they just got rid of it. Still having a time travel suit that can also teleport you anywhere and is also durable enough to let you survive getting hit by a spaceship and planetary re-entry kinda breaks the show. When she sent it away and also set its self-destruct, I was like "did she say she was going to blow up the suit last season? Isn't she the only one that can use it anyway? Couldn't she wait for that wormhole to close, and then open a different one later to send the signal?"

The bottom line is that it was just a plot device to get the show to this point. They don't need it anymore, so it's being thrown away regardless of any practical reasons Michael would actually want to keep it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Senor Tron posted:

Aren't most of the times we have an impending warp core breach because they can't stop the flow into the chamber?

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

UnquietDream posted:

Can't was the line, basically the implication is the Fed investigated it, said yeah we got no clue why and it could happen again. Like imagine tomorrow every single fuel powered vehicle went boom, billions of casualties, no clue why and no promise that it wouldn't happen again, the world would be fundamentally different and you wouldn't just be able to transition to solar energy because those supply lines violently exploded alongside any expertise that happened to be near any fuel.

If that happened and Ford started making cars again and was like, "I know they all exploded randomly before, but it's cool now. It can't happen again because we don't know why it happened." I might question that a little.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Aren't most of the times we have an impending warp core breach because they can't stop the flow into the chamber?

I sometimes wonder how many times the writers would turn in a draft where the main reactor turned into a ticking time bomb (or the ship turned into a flying death trap in some other way again), and they got notes back saying "uh there's like two different safety mechanisms designed to prevent this" and the writers would curse those nerds in the art department as they wrote in "...and the safety systems that should be preventing this aren't working"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Serious times if I ever get to go to a nerd convention where there are TNG writers doing a panel discussion, the highlight of that convention for me will be getting up and asking "was it your intention to turn the Enterprise into a flying death trap or did that just happen by coincidence?"

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

The Bloop posted:

The plus side is they can end the series with a giant gently caress YOU button to undo the entire thing

Voyager did it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ah, the days online in 98-05 when the “reset button” was one of the top major complaints about modern Trek. :allears:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

Ah, the days online in 98-05 when the “reset button” was one of the top major complaints about modern Trek. :allears:

now we're practically begging for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

The Bloop posted:

now we're practically begging for it

and people complain about picard not being star trek. literally ends with a reset button for picard.

classic trek.