Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it also confirms that airpower will not be happening for a few more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

I think forums user "skull mask mcgee" back there may disagree.

:(

I’d also agree about the software, at least if you need 32-bit support :D

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Well, to start off, both 13 and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros have been using USB-C/Thunderbolt ports since the 2016 models, Late 2015 models were the last to have MagSafe ports.

Also, there are two kinds of 13-inch rMBPs, 2-port and 4-port.

The 2-port rMBPs have their ports attached directly to the logic board. On the 4-ports, the port assemblies (I/O boards) sit on a small board which attaches to the logic board.

It sounds likelier that your boss has a 2-port and the drop damaged something on the logic board..

Thanks. They sure do. Poor them. Thought maybe there was something else I could tell them but that’s what the teardown images I saw looked like as well, the 2 ports are directly attached.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is even going on in this timeline, they remove MagSafe from the laptops (ditching one of the genuinely best features ever for no apparent reason other than they don't care about the tech anymore) and then four years later they suddenly resurrect it and put it on phones

I suppose there's no point in hoping they might be planning on putting it back on the laptops, is there?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Data Graham posted:

What is even going on in this timeline, they remove MagSafe from the laptops (ditching one of the genuinely best features ever for no apparent reason other than they don't care about the tech anymore) and then four years later they suddenly resurrect it and put it on phones

I suppose there's no point in hoping they might be planning on putting it back on the laptops, is there?

Yeah I wouldn't be annoyed if it wasn't branded MagSafe, RIP in peace.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i miss the connector itself but i'm also glad the cord is no longer integrated with the power brick. would get expensive when a cat chewed it or it just eventually frayed from heavy use/transport

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah IIRC the magsafe cables were a bit of a support nightmare. I've had several of them over the years and they all wound up tattered to poo poo.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

As someone who lost an iBook due to an oblivious (now long-since ex) girlfriend walking right through the damned cord crashing the ibook onto the floor, I still support it. Still one of my favorite features of my macbooks (neither of which will charge anymore, so... yeah, it clearly has it's own faults).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

True that I'm on like my fourth power brick on my 2014 MPB.

...Still

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
You can also get Magsafe-style adapters for USB-C power cables, though I don't have any particular ones to recommend because there's about a billion Chinese clones of the same handful of basic designs.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
When MagSafe was first released 3h battery life was normal so you were always plugged, now its 11 hours and will only go up in the arm switch. Its not as necessary as it use to be.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Is that real-world 11 hours? or is it "we estimate that under x condition in a lab we got it to 10 hours and 1 minute once therefore" 11 hours?

I am still putting off buying a new iPad because my kid has one from school that only gets about 5 hours (6th gen standard iPad) and I really want more than that. I'd love a retrofit 17" macbook pro body with a huge-rear end retina++ screen and 20 hours of juice in it. I've got an empty visa just waiting for that event (which will never happen)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

otter posted:

Is that real-world 11 hours? or is it "we estimate that under x condition in a lab we got it to 10 hours and 1 minute once therefore" 11 hours?

I am still putting off buying a new iPad because my kid has one from school that only gets about 5 hours (6th gen standard iPad) and I really want more than that. I'd love a retrofit 17" macbook pro body with a huge-rear end retina++ screen and 20 hours of juice in it. I've got an empty visa just waiting for that event (which will never happen)

I can get typically through an entire day of work (7-8 hours) off battery with juice left over (15% or so) on my 13" 2018 MBP. I don't do a lot of videos, but I do a fair bit of tele/video meetings, remote desktop/ssh, a VM or two, and occasional script editing in PyCharm. Plus the usual MS Office stuff and poo poo-posting on here. Sometimes PDF review/annotation, but I mostly find it easier to do on my iPad Pro + Pencil.

I typically have to plug in toward the end of the work day if I've been using a local VM for a significant time (1 hour or more) It also helps that have that I live alone and have a pretty good mesh network in the house, so the MBP never has to struggle or fight with competing devices to communicate via wireless networking.

That's not everyday. A lot of the time I'm docked up with a T3 dock driving a 3440x1440 display. However, it's not uncommon for me to relocate to sunnier room or even out on the patio depending on the weather.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Roadie posted:

Codeweavers just announced CrossOver 20 for Apple Silicon that will supposedly bring full Wine support, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.
Huh wonder if they're doing the Qemu+Wine thing. Also good lord who the hell approved the CodeWeavers rebrand/redesign :psyboom:

otter posted:

I for one welcome our new iPad app overlord.
I'm too lazy to find a Simpsons gif.

For years I have wanted the ability to just have Yahtzee in a little window on my main computer so that in between tasks I can just play my wife back instead of having to grab my phone and play her. Or while I am on some kind of godforsaken hold time with clients, etc.

At first I was distrustful of the merger between iOS and MacOS but the lines, they are a-blurin'.
I was on board when they showed PDF Expert or something automatically running as a Catalyst app with resizable and multiple windows and basically working like a macOS app. I expect a lot of kludgey stuff due to the different UI paradigms but that happens regardless, might as well get a shitload of apps out of it.

well why not posted:

it also confirms that airpower will not be happening for a few more years
I imagine it's completely dead and replaced by MagSafe, unless Rezence comes back and becomes a thing.

otter posted:

Only getting 5 hours out of an iPad seems unusual, unless it's at like max brightness all the time and doing something semi intensive I guess, and/or just general battery wear if it went through a lot of cycles.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

japtor posted:

Only getting 5 hours out of an iPad seems unusual, unless it's at like max brightness all the time and doing something semi intensive I guess, and/or just general battery wear if it went through a lot of cycles.

I had not thought to look at the battery cycles on it. I just tried to check the battery health and it is apparently not an accessible feature since the school district has their restrictions in place on it. I just turned the brightness from 100 down to like 60% and you can barely tell the difference aside from less of that "sweet jeebus my eyes are burning" feeling.

He is 5, so the way he likes to run things is max volume, max brightness, and watching videos on repeat while rewinding them. (eff you Catbug, and all your screaming in a loop!!)

Maybe now we will get a little more life out of it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

For whatever reason you can’t check battery health on iPads.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

that just makes no sense whatsoever unless there's some legit black magic going on in there, such as with Liquid Death Mountain Water (now with 100% real demons inside).
He used it for about 3 1/2 hours today. About 90 minutes of google meet, and then some short video about pumpkins, a web browser based test, and practicing drawing letters. It's down to 37%. So I have to assume the thing has probably seen some heavy use over the last 2 years and it's just an issue of battery life/health then. It's pretty much what stopped me from ordering a new iPad (8th gen) to replace my laptop for the last 2 weeks.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have a Mac you can use Coconut Battery to read the iPad battery health

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

otter posted:

that just makes no sense whatsoever unless there's some legit black magic going on in there, such as with Liquid Death Mountain Water (now with 100% real demons inside).
He used it for about 3 1/2 hours today. About 90 minutes of google meet, and then some short video about pumpkins, a web browser based test, and practicing drawing letters. It's down to 37%. So I have to assume the thing has probably seen some heavy use over the last 2 years and it's just an issue of battery life/health then. It's pretty much what stopped me from ordering a new iPad (8th gen) to replace my laptop for the last 2 weeks.

Didn’t you say that this iPad was 6th Gen? That would put it at what, 2018? Assuming it was used in a school setting for ~2 years most weekdays and by multiple kids before the quarantine happened, I could see the battery health being worse than it initially was. Or it was charged badly at the school.

Video chatting on Zoom/etc will definitely whittle down the battery on most of these devices though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

L0vetodream says we're getting a refresh on the 13" rMBPs next month.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

otter posted:

My 6th gen takes about four to six hours to go from 100% to 50% after a year and change of usage(biggest killer is anything that keep the screen on, like safari, any chat or movies), while meet is a resource hog i think your battery is cooked

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 16, 2020

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

SlowBloke posted:

i think your battery is cooked

Makes me so glad that it's not "mine" and the school can have it back in June.
I also thought the giant nerf case they sent it home in was a bit much and then yesterday Mr. I Can Carry All This Down The Hall had a very unsuccessful trip and I would have ended up buying that iPad without said nerf case. Kids just don't treat things that well overall. I would have been terrified my dad would have beaten my rear end but I guess that's the difference between being 5 in '85 and being 5 in '20. That and first run episodes of Silver Spoons a year or so later.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

otter posted:

Kids just don't treat things that well overall.

It's not about being kids, it's being the owner/whoever pays for it. Some of our laptops have been returned to us in a way I had to ask to our management if we had to ask for the enduser to pay the device back (let's not talk about rental cars lol).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I was raised by my (single, poor) dad that if something doesn't belong to you then your responsibility is to treat it better than if it was yours.
Obviously, this lesson is not as widespread as I thought most of my life.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I want to get my wife a new Macbook Air to replace her 2012 model...what's the best spec build out bang for the buck? She's definitely not a power user - pretty much just browses the web, does finances, uses Photos and very occasionally remotes into work on it. I'd like for it to last her another 8 years if possible and I'm not sure if springing for the i5 is worth it for her uses. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

I want to get my wife a new Macbook Air to replace her 2012 model...what's the best spec build out bang for the buck? She's definitely not a power user - pretty much just browses the web, does finances, uses Photos and very occasionally remotes into work on it. I'd like for it to last her another 8 years if possible and I'm not sure if springing for the i5 is worth it for her uses. Thanks!
Well the i5 is the best bang for the buck, or arguably one of the lower end MBPs I think. Main question for another 8 years would be software support cause Intel Macs will be no more at some point. But for basic use like that it'll probably be fine for a while, and get through the growing pains of the ARM Macs by the time you want to replace it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro that I'm looking to dual boot Windows on with Bootcamp, but it only has a 128GB SSD drive. I've got an external 500GB hard drive lying around, could I use that for the Windows partition and keep the SSD for the macOS, or should I be looking to upgrade my internal storage to a 256GB SSD (or more)?

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 18, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Julio Cruz posted:

I have a 2017 Macbook Pro that I'm looking to dual boot Windows on with Bootcamp, but it only has a 128GB SSD drive. I've got an external 500GB hard drive lying around, could I use that for the Windows partition and keep the SSD for the macOS, or should I be looking to upgrade my internal storage to a 256GB SSD (or more)?

I would upgrade but remember only the non-TouchBar models have a removable SSD

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I'm not sure if Windows has ever fully/natively supported booting from a usb drive, bootcamp or no.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its Apple so always assume the stupidest and most petty reason for doing stuff.

How close was the MagSafe patent to expiration? I bet they pulled it early even so no one got any ideas about replicating it anywhere else.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Crunchy Black posted:

How close was the MagSafe patent to expiration? I bet they pulled it early

That's not how patents work.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I would upgrade but remember only the non-TouchBar models have a removable SSD

yeah this is a non-TouchBar model

is there a difference between different brands beyond the interface? this Macbook needs PCIe AFAICT

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah this is a non-TouchBar model

is there a difference between different brands beyond the interface? this Macbook needs PCIe AFAICT

I personally would try to find an OEM drive on eBay

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/found-this-adaptor-for-2016-2017-non-touch-bar-for-ssd-upgrades.2231881/

Using any old pcie drive might cause it to run hot or lock up or sleep to not work or make the case bulge since it’s not flush.

Read through that thread to see what drive has the least issues.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
looking at that thread Sabrent seems to be the overwhelming choice, it's a little bit more pricey than eg Kingspec but the increased quality is surely worth the extra ~$20

thanks for the link and the recommendation!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

japtor posted:

Well the i5 is the best bang for the buck, or arguably one of the lower end MBPs I think. Main question for another 8 years would be software support cause Intel Macs will be no more at some point. But for basic use like that it'll probably be fine for a while, and get through the growing pains of the ARM Macs by the time you want to replace it.

Thanks I totally forgot about the ARM switch, I'll probably hold off.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I would be shocked if Intel Macs lose support before 5 years.

People forget but the PPC transition was supposed to be stretched out over a long timeframe, but Intel happened to deliver massive generational improvement after improvement. And there was still 3 years of OS support, even though PPC was cooked by that point.

I don't see Apple delivering the same consistent generational improvement in the desktop space and even if they did you'd still see a long tail on OS and 3rd party software support.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The 2016 MacBook that my kid has been using for school has degraded to the point of being quite frustrating to use, so I need to figure out what to do. 6 months ago this would have been a free repair as part of the great keyboard apology tour but, alas, it's not 6 months ago.

Replacing that keyboard/topcase will run about $650. The service shop (Carbon) suggested that I see if I can talk Apple into a discount for it, so I'll give them a call a bit later to try. $650 feels like a lot to sink into a 4-year-old laptop.

My ex-wife has a MacBook5,1 i7/8GB MBA from 2012 that (probably just) needs a new battery, but might suffice for the purpose. Can I still get such batteries replaced?

It looks like refurbs in Canada start around $1100 for an 8GB i3 MBA, which is an awkward amount more than the repair cost.

Any advice?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
One thing to be aware of is that the new ARM-based Macbook stuff will probably drop in mid-November. I personally suspect this will drive down resale/refurb drive prices for older non-Pro models down because of the battery life gains with ARM and the ability to use the iPad game library, but it's hard to reliably predict that kind of stuff.

Subjunctive posted:

Replacing that keyboard/topcase will run about $650. The service shop (Carbon) suggested that I see if I can talk Apple into a discount for it, so I'll give them a call a bit later to try. $650 feels like a lot to sink into a 4-year-old laptop.

Check third-party bigcorps like Best Buy, too. They're more likely to have sales on random things.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

My ex-wife has a MacBook5,1 i7/8GB MBA from 2012 that (probably just) needs a new battery, but might suffice for the purpose. Can I still get such batteries replaced?

$80 for the battery

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Battery+Replacement/10950