Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Snack Bitch posted:

Whoa survival mode limits your stack size. I had no idea but that explains how y’all are moving 1 billion in activated iridium.

Survival mode stack size used used to be standard stack size for every game mode. AKA the dark times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

AirRaid posted:

Survival mode stack size used used to be standard stack size for every game mode. AKA the dark times.

It sure was. You could still make big money building fusion igniters via the crafting chain (though I had two haulers with 48 inventory size purely for storing materials, in addition to the storage containers), but obtaining hundreds of thousands of activated iridium was unthinkable, let alone moving it to a buyer.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Man I wish they let you recolor starships. I've found a bunch I like but they're always in rear end-ugly colors.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Hakarne posted:

Man I wish they let you recolor starships. I've found a bunch I like but they're always in rear end-ugly colors.

not an empty quote

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

AirRaid posted:

You can't. Max for an Exotic is 25+7. (which my green exotic is, and can't be upgraded higher, I tried) The preorder ship is a weird quirk that for some reason gets to be 25+21.

what?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I dunno when that changed, but I swear I tried it the other day and it was greyed out. I had a handful of storage augments lying about because I had "maxed" my capacity on the two ships I actually wanted to use and couldn't use them further. I just looked again and I can, and have, upgraded my exotic further.

The pre-order ship still wont go over 25 though. :shrug:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AirRaid posted:

Yeah I dunno when that changed, but I swear I tried it the other day and it was greyed out. I had a handful of storage augments lying about because I had "maxed" my capacity on the two ships I actually wanted to use and couldn't use them further. I just looked again and I can, and have, upgraded my exotic further.

The pre-order ship still wont go over 25 though. :shrug:

Class still restricts. If you upgrade the class to S you should be able to max it out.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i was upgrading my baby haulers inventory and it stopped at the border and i was like, well that sucks! Then i clicked upgrade again and it just pushed right past the border haha. The only limiting factor is the class, any S class ship can achieve 48+21 so pretty much just grab one that you fancy. I bought an S class exotic for 8m but the tall fin was annoying so i scrapped it--there's some really nice looking blue ones with that pointed nose that i wanna get but at the same time it pales in comparison to a living ship. I think i'm just gonna sit with tiny hauler and wait for the living ship but i'm kinda disappointed because what's the point of ship classes if they can all be upgraded to the same slots? They should have quirks like haulers having a few high capacity storage slots.

I think there's a hidden point where you can get quicksilver missions and see the full vendor because i can only see the 'all' tab on the vendor and it's just 2 pages and the nexus refuses to give me the daily quest. I'm just trying to burn down the main quest because i think that's the limiter for me but i have no loving clue. It's annoying as poo poo because i could be amassing quicksilver for the living ship right now but i can't do the loving daily.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

SquidShip for lyfe.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hakarne posted:

but... but what about the time-honored tradition of browsing the coordinate exchange reddit, then sitting on the roof of the trading post reloading my save for 2 hours????

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'm frankly surprised they don't let you build ships from scratch because they clearly kitbash a lot of ships so why not let the player do so with a lot of time investment?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arghy posted:

I'm frankly surprised they don't let you build ships from scratch because they clearly kitbash a lot of ships so why not let the player do so with a lot of time investment?

For a long time after the game released you couldn't change the inventory size or class on a ship, so give it time and they probably will eventually

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Jumped around a bit and found a keeper exotic best described as funny-sexy. I named it the DFS Double Penetrator

Also thanks to the goon that recommended the positron ejector, it's tons of fun and ridiculously powerful. I paired it with some maxed-out phase beams for variety and fun.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

is there a way to fix the last step of the living ship quest? the fallen vessel I'm supposed to find literally is not at the quest marker, and I figure it's because someone else already took it. the star sector the last step of the quest is in is pocked with dozens of bases and other people already. going to a different galaxy and restarting the quest wants me to just go back there and do it all over again.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Arghy posted:

My assumption is that they're reticent to pull back the curtain on the relatively small number of parts ships have (even if it's already been figured out by some players). If there ever is a ship customisation update I'd hope it would be alongside an expansion to ship variety.

I would love to park my ship in a section of the station and have this song kick in though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXJtpsWUQI

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the path to becoming post-economic in No Man's Sky? What's the real money and nanite makers?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zesty posted:

What's the path to becoming post-economic in No Man's Sky? What's the real money and nanite makers?

Stasis Chambers, Fusion Igniters and a big Activated Indium mine for units.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2261037438
So that's what i see at the quicksilver merchant.

Also maxed rank photon cannons are absurd and plasma grenades are getting really dumb with tiny obstacles, oh you didn't see that crystal sticking up in front of you? well your dead.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Plasma Grenades have always been Max Chaos right from launch. SOMEONE is going to die. It might be the thing you're shooting at, it might be you! It could be both! Do ya feel lucky?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If you want to randomly die then just stick the Geology Cannon on your multitool.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

Also maxed rank photon cannons are absurd and plasma grenades are getting really dumb with tiny obstacles, oh you didn't see that crystal sticking up in front of you? well your dead.

And you can't scroll up or down? Weird.

Also you should have walked past the station giving you Quicksilver missions every time you got to the vendor. Does the huge, fancy terminal with blinking lights not give out missions or something? You did try that mission terminal out, right?

I think your save maybe hosed.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I forgot to take a screen of that nexus but it's just 4 standard missions with no quicksilver option it's weird. I can scroll down to 1 more page of decals and bobble heads--everything else works so no idea how just this might be broken on my save haha. I've done 2 nexus missions so far thinking that it'd trigger the quicksilver but to no avail.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Arghy posted:

I like the cyclotron ballista on spaceships and the pulse spitter on foot. I don't know if they're optimal but they feel good to use with lots of upgrades.

I've never touched secondary weapons because I don't feel like dealing with more ammo to haul around, but I don't think I'm missing much except self-harm.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Poniard posted:

is there a way to fix the last step of the living ship quest? the fallen vessel I'm supposed to find literally is not at the quest marker, and I figure it's because someone else already took it. the star sector the last step of the quest is in is pocked with dozens of bases and other people already. going to a different galaxy and restarting the quest wants me to just go back there and do it all over again.

If you get to a spot where there's supposed to be a host ship there and it isn't, save and reload your save and it'll show up. (It's also highly recommended to turn off multiplayer if you're in situations where you're looking for specific multitools/crashed ships, since anyone you randomly get in your multiplayer area can snag those and have them be gone for you just long enough to be a hassle)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is buying and scrapping ships the most efficient way to convert units into nanites? It's taking a while!! I need 25k of these things to get my saucy alien multitool to class A!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is buying and scrapping ships the most efficient way to convert units into nanites? It's taking a while!! I need 25k of these things to get my saucy alien multitool to class A!!

Find a strong economy Korvax system and park in the station. Buy any A or S class shuttles or explorers that land (in a strong economy there will be a lot of As) and scrap them. They're cheap as poo poo but will give you storage upgrades and A rank modules just like any other ship.

If you find a system that consistently sells large amounts of pugneum you can also buy mountains of it, trade it to the scrap dealer on the station for X class modules and suspicious tech/weapons packages, and sell those.

Is there a rough estimate for how complex a base can be before the game forces you to stop building? I found a pretty moon with a large floating island in range of both S class power and S class oxygen (yay chlorine farm). But I found that the base computer is also within 700-800 units of another floating island. Dare I bridge them together? Is the moon's curvature enough that the base parts won't quite line up right across that distance? I guess there's only one way to find out.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Frist, buy pugneum from stations and NPCs that land. Then use it to buy suspicious tech from the scrap dealer which you can sell for nanites. Make a list of all the stations you find with pugneum for sale and you will be swimming in nanites like a Gek breeding pool.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Behold my folly. (that corridor is level with the ground on the other island)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey I'm totally new to this, a couple questions:

What is an atlas pass and where do I get it? I keep on finding barrels that need one.

What do I do with all these vortex cubes I keep finding littered about?

According to my menu I can "consume" some things. Should I be eating stuff?

E: or if there's a decent newbie guide that answers all this feel free to send me to that instead.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 18, 2020

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey I'm totally new to this, a couple questions:

What is an atlas pass and where do I get it? I keep on finding barrels that need one.

What do I do with all these vortex cubes I keep finding littered about?

According to my menu I can "consume" some things. Should I be eating stuff?

E: or if there's a decent newbie guide that answers all this feel free to send me to that instead.

Vortex Cubes exist to be sold. Consuming stuff will boost your life support bar a tiny bit, but that stuff can also be cooked at some point. Alas, there's isn't really a newbie guide, but there's always the wiki.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Use to get it from one of the starter missions, but now you find the blueprint for it in a manufacturing facility.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

So is there anything to do with the stacks of Grantine, Herox and Lemmium I get randomly? Most are from either frigate missions or killing random pirates.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

moroboshi posted:

So is there anything to do with the stacks of Grantine, Herox and Lemmium I get randomly? Most are from either frigate missions or killing random pirates.

All 3 of those are needed to make another mineral required for stasis chambers called irredesite. If you plan on going down the crafting route to make cash keep them so when you finally do start making stasis chambers you won't need to worry about ingredients for a long time. I'm still using the cache of them that i got when wandering the planets and by the time i need more i'll have more units than i know what to do with haha.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I found something interesting with Exosolar's Beyond Base Building and freighter bases today: you can snap small building prefabs to freighter hallways. This means you can build multi-level rooms on your freighter with some amazing views:

Unfortunately you can see through your freighter if you turn to face inwards but you can build your windows facing straight out to minimise the jank. Here's an example with a log cabin room on my freighter - the system's star is visible out the window!

Edit: don't build these close to the command room area: if you extend buildings beyond the partition between the buildable area and the command room, you won't be able to remove them easily!

piano chimp fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 18, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I get really extreme texture pop in for planet surfaces. Like I'll be standing on a blurry smudge for 10 seconds and then it'll suddenly switch to a proper ground texture. Some patches of ground just don't switch at all. Is there any way of adjusting / fixing that? I thought I had everything on ultra.

Also is there something wrong with HDR? Enabling HDR on my OLED TV makes the colours go totally insane. Not just brighter but like they switch to completely different colours. The mining laser is red instead of green.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

fuf posted:

I get really extreme texture pop in for planet surfaces. Like I'll be standing on a blurry smudge for 10 seconds and then it'll suddenly switch to a proper ground texture. Some patches of ground just don't switch at all. Is there any way of adjusting / fixing that? I thought I had everything on ultra.

Also is there something wrong with HDR? Enabling HDR on my OLED TV makes the colours go totally insane. Not just brighter but like they switch to completely different colours. The mining laser is red instead of green.

i used this mod for the pop-in and it looks a bit better https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1316

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Poniard posted:

i used this mod for the pop-in and it looks a bit better https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1316

One caveat is that the most recent Ultra release is way more resource-intensive than previous versions of Ultra were, apparently because of how the author had to go about fixing some serious display bugs in the earlier Ultra version for Origins. Like, it took it from perfectly playable to practically a slideshow. Lite seems to work fine, though, and I haven't seen any bugs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Huh, thanks I was wondering what was up with the random low res ground textures.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Vortex Cubes exist to be sold. Consuming stuff will boost your life support bar a tiny bit, but that stuff can also be cooked at some point. Alas, there's isn't really a newbie guide, but there's always the wiki.
Ahh thanks, thought I was missing something important.

Fixed up my spaceship, flew to a new planet and now I’m apparently supposed to build a log cabin??

I don’t get this game. Shouldn’t I be assembling walls of carbon foam or some other space age material? I haven’t even felled a tree, just shrubs so presumably I have terrible taste and am assembling particle board in the shape of logs. This is McMansion Hell in space.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, kinda getting into the groove with this now, but there's still some stuff that feels really clunky.

I'm plugging through the base building missions (and now have a solar-powered base backed up by a lone battery which isn't actually enough), but after being told to hunt for solarium on a 'scorched' planet I came away with a poo poo taste in my mouth for the space exploration because unless I've missed it, your discovery map doesn't keep track of stuff you've scanned in space right? You've gotta land on every planet to keep a note of it and it's contents?

The other thing I learned is that collecting common stuff (like oxygen) is a really offputting part of the game. So far i've been using my infinite wealth to just hoover up thousands of each resource on space stations because mining rocks is just so tedious.

Is there a mod or something that just makes all resources available from a store? Being told to go find something like stuff that only grows in caves, only to then realise I've no idea how to find a bloody cave on this random planet I'm on is just tedious.

Also, the buried tech or whatever used for unlocking base parts and blueprints, is there a way to quickly farm those, or is it really just scouring a planet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why don’t you just learn how to find a cave? Or use your scanner to find blueprints? Or get past the early early game where you’ll have plenty of money for buying all the elements you need instead of cheating money?

I don’t think you like what this game is about.