Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've posted about our home rolled database query wrapper that manages "secure" access to production databases as it was logging passwords in plaintext (which got fixed), but I was messing around with it today (because if you're not gonna fix the fact that it uses an rdp wrapper that has local admin on a server used to "host" the sessions then I'm going to see what is left on said server) and the session URLs it pings to get the db creds are a) logged b) are not one time, they persist and c) are callable from anywhere

so I can copy the session address out from remote server rdp session and call it from my desktop and get back the instance name and username and an *encrypted* password, however I know that that password must be decryptable by the server I'm on so this looks like a pretty bad gap to me

people are gonna hate me for raising this lol

storing shared credentials used by a client app is one of those impossible to solve problems. how do you protect credentials from a user but still give them access to those creds inside an application so it can authenticate?

Windows has built in data protection apis for it, but it doesnt ultimately protect you from someone who really knows what they're doing. the best you can do is lock down the remote desktop so they cant get to the tools that let them use the data protection api and/or generate the creds

on the webservice side you could have the client provide credentials to get the encrypted creds and only store those creds with the legitimate client so you cant access it outside the rdp. this has the same shared creds problem, but if youve done the work to mitigate access to the creds it would improve the security of the webservice

the better way to do this is not use shared creds on the client at all. either use windows auth directly to the db and handle security in sql server or create a data service that takes the users creds (as windows or oauth or something) and handle auth in the data service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jonasLyk/status/1316104870987010048
lol, this guy still making GBS threads on microsoft

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rufus Ping posted:

I don't believe so but maybe subjunctive can weigh in

I don’t believe so, no. I haven’t been following it but I suspect someone would have told me if my long-held dream was coming true

it would have been great for delegating sub-CAs too, so that Microsoft could issue for *.microsoft.com and be actually restricted rather than just pinky-swearing

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t believe so, no. I haven’t been following it but I suspect someone would have told me if my long-held dream was coming true

it would have been great for delegating sub-CAs too, so that Microsoft could issue for *.microsoft.com and be actually restricted rather than just pinky-swearing

intermediate CA's with name constraints are not uncommon, but nothing on the roots AFAIK

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

intermediate CA's with name constraints are not uncommon, but nothing on the roots AFAIK

that's great. last I looked at it iPhones didn't support the extension, which means that you couldn't mark it critical, which meant it wasn't super useful. that was at least 3 years ago, though

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaggar posted:

storing shared credentials used by a client app is one of those impossible to solve problems. how do you protect credentials from a user but still give them access to those creds inside an application so it can authenticate?

Windows has built in data protection apis for it, but it doesnt ultimately protect you from someone who really knows what they're doing. the best you can do is lock down the remote desktop so they cant get to the tools that let them use the data protection api and/or generate the creds

on the webservice side you could have the client provide credentials to get the encrypted creds and only store those creds with the legitimate client so you cant access it outside the rdp. this has the same shared creds problem, but if youve done the work to mitigate access to the creds it would improve the security of the webservice

the better way to do this is not use shared creds on the client at all. either use windows auth directly to the db and handle security in sql server or create a data service that takes the users creds (as windows or oauth or something) and handle auth in the data service.

i agree with all this pretty much, and I've said similar stuff when people go "alright so what would you do then?" but it gets pretty much ignored.

like idk over a year ago I flagged that there is only one level of account permissions "allowed" on servers and that's admin. No separate login as a Service role, just admin, so even if you use Windows auth for your db access, chances are that account can be used to log on to a host directly and then go nuts.

edit: I should clarify you can still do logon as a Service by granting at service setup but you'd need an account to logon to the server in the first place and that will have admin rights so ahhhhhh

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 15, 2020

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

that's great. last I looked at it iPhones didn't support the extension, which means that you couldn't mark it critical, which meant it wasn't super useful. that was at least 3 years ago, though

Wow, iOS didn't support Name Constraints till 10.13...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

Wow, iOS didn't support Name Constraints till 10.13...

yeah, so you still can’t mark it critical...

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, so you still can’t mark it critical...

:smith:

critical or not won't matter on platforms that support it at least I guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i agree with all this pretty much, and I've said similar stuff when people go "alright so what would you do then?" but it gets pretty much ignored.

like idk over a year ago I flagged that there is only one level of account permissions "allowed" on servers and that's admin. No separate login as a Service role, just admin, so even if you use Windows auth for your db access, chances are that account can be used to log on to a host directly and then go nuts.

edit: I should clarify you can still do logon as a Service by granting at service setup but you'd need an account to logon to the server in the first place and that will have admin rights so ahhhhhh

yeah granting users access to the sql db directly is not a great option (especially if you arent using procs) cause they can just do the access from wherever. altho u could restrict access to the db via the firewall so only the rdp hosts and maybe some known administrator hosts can access.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

https://twitter.com/__steele/status/1316914387710599168

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nice

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Truga posted:

https://twitter.com/jonasLyk/status/1316104870987010048
lol, this guy still making GBS threads on microsoft

was this the same guy who had a baffling "POC" video involving being able to tab through hidden fields on a windows login screen and then when microsoft told him that wasn't a critical vuln he just screamed about how not owned he was until he vanished

or was that someone else

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

SoundMonkey posted:

was this the same guy who had a baffling "POC" video involving being able to tab through hidden fields on a windows login screen and then when microsoft told him that wasn't a critical vuln he just screamed about how not owned he was until he vanished

or was that someone else

that's him and he owns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wait until he discovers that nothing enforces ntfs permissions if you read the file system outside of windows

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
that sounds harder to exploit from inside a vm guest

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it does?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

install gentoo, op

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Carthag Tuek posted:

install gentoo, op

don't post post suicide requests

mystes
May 31, 2006

It sounds like he's saying that normal users now have read only access to raw block devices by default which does actually seem to be a real permissions issue?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
there should be a physical pull tab you can flip on a hard drive to secure it similar to the security mechanism on cassette tapes

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Computer Serf posted:

there should be a physical pull tab you can flip on a hard drive to secure it similar to the security mechanism on cassette tapes

if there's one thing computer and electronics developers are good at, it's physical security mechanisms

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

mystes posted:

It sounds like he's saying that normal users now have read only access to raw block devices by default which does actually seem to be a real permissions issue?
yeah, they do. it's really easy to check in 7zip, just run as a normal user, go to \\.\ and then you can pick a PhysicalDrive# and partition to explore (I think bitlocker needs to be off on the partition)

edit: well technically I didn't test a completely normal user but it works while non-elevated

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 17, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SoundMonkey posted:

if there's one thing developers are good at, it's security

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Computer Serf posted:

brb hacking my hard drive with a hole puncher

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

how about a write protect screw instead?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

how about a write protect screw instead?

text me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

brb hacking my hard drive with a hole puncher
you can do better/worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpX8YvNg6Y

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
your voting system is a pos
https://twitter.com/Perpetualmaniac/status/1317695488565665793?s=20

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

:trumppop:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goes without saying but seriously don’t touch this poop.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

no charges will be filed because lmao fascists facing justice for anything in hellyear 2020

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Midjack posted:

instead, watch 4chan wallow in it like common swine and then be the INTERNET HACKER FORUM that CNN is talking about tomorrow morning

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Midjack posted:

too late.

please welcome the new president of the united states, nick mullen

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The SecFuck is believing anything from 4chan that discredits election results

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Funny if fake, funny if real

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
according to people who know what they're talking about, there is no way to use that to actually change someone's vote without committing big boy crimes. the warning popups are inaccurate or poorly worded

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Invalidating someone's vote is bad enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Invalidating someone's vote is bad enough.
I filed a bug in the electoral college repo but it was classified as "wontfix."