Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

drat people weren't kidding when they said Superhot was the best VR experience. Also having a gun pointed at you in VR is legit terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Any goons playing Echo Arena? Just got my Quest 2. Only issue is the FOV isn’t incredible but then I don’t know if this is standard as I’ve not done much vr in the past. Would be good to play with people regularly as it seems like the sort of game where a well coordinated team would make it ten times as fun

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

What would you even do with a jailbroken Quest 2? If you don't sign in, you can't use the store and most of the apps. Some sideloaded games might work if they don't use the online services.

I guess you could turn it into a PCVR headset, if you disabled everything except the tracking and output. Someone would have to write the PC side driver for it, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why is Oculus store so loving god awful? I own at least some games in basically every PC story there but I never more issues with just installing and starting my games with any other store. loving Oculus bullshit always breaks and gives me cryptic error that don't explain poo poo.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

iron buns posted:

What would you even do with a jailbroken Quest 2? If you don't sign in, you can't use the store and most of the apps. Some sideloaded games might work if they don't use the online services.

I guess you could turn it into a PCVR headset, if you disabled everything except the tracking and output. Someone would have to write the PC side driver for it, though.

Pretty much every Quest game has been pirated and can be played offline. A jailbroken Quest would prevent Zuck from bricking your headset, I'd imagine.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Any goons playing Echo Arena? Just got my Quest 2.

We have a semi pro around in these forums.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every second or third time I launch my Quest from power-off I get a popup that says “Bluetooth keeps hanging” or something to that effect. Anyone else seeing this?

To the best of my knowledge I haven’t paired anything with this headset unless it does so without me knowing it.

E: Q2 to be clear

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I just finally got a wheel/pedals for my PC. Fired up Project Cars and drove a couple of tracks I've driven IRL, in VR and HOLY COW. I'd tried it with a controller but it's nowhere close to a wheel. I have an OG Rift, the SDE and resolution are lacking. Is the upcoming Reverb G2 the best clarity we'll be able to get for a while? Any other VR racing games besides Dirt Rally and Project Cars?

I assume I won't be able to use the HP with Oculus games. Does the Reverb just use the SteamVR ecosystem?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sipher posted:

I just finally got a wheel/pedals for my PC. Fired up Project Cars and drove a couple of tracks I've driven IRL, in VR and HOLY COW. I'd tried it with a controller but it's nowhere close to a wheel. I have an OG Rift, the SDE and resolution are lacking. Is the upcoming Reverb G2 the best clarity we'll be able to get for a while? Any other VR racing games besides Dirt Rally and Project Cars?

I assume I won't be able to use the HP with Oculus games. Does the Reverb just use the SteamVR ecosystem?

G2 is looking super promising, particularly for simming. I still have my doubts about WMR tracking but that screens going to be crazy for simming.

Assetto Corsa is pretty much as good as it gets for racing, but you'll need to setup CSP and Content Manager.
Problem with Assetto Corsa is that it'll make Project Cars feel terrible once you try it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Keep in mind that doing anything similar to the Oculus Quest would've likely started the moment the Quest itself was announced at the earliest, and that was only 18-odd months ago. Anything new from Samsung or Apple would likely be barely out of design and into early prototyping around now. At least one competitor is undoubtedly coming, but the Quest is such a paradigm-shift in the hardware that it's probably not gonna be seen until at least mid/late next year.

Santa Cruz was first shown four years ago, Lenovo/Google and HTC both had 6DoF standalone headsets out before Oculus did, and other smaller players got their own equivalents out for enterprise use soon after. The industry's known about the inevitability of standalone 6DoF VR for years before "Oculus Quest" was announced as an official product, if anyone started late it was because they were waiting to see how successful the Quest would be in the consumer space.

The major thing Oculus brought to the table with the Quest's release wasn't the tech, it was a software library people actually gave a poo poo about and marketing that let people know it existed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sipher posted:

You should be able to use ReVive to play Oculus games on the Reverb

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sipher posted:

Do yourself a favour and set the weather to start off clear then transition into a thunder storm at night at the Nordshlief, if you can set it so the sun comes up and the weather clears at the end - It's still one of the most incredible VR experiences I have had
Also do that on the coastal road track, it's insanely cool watching the clouds roll in

Other racing games:
Race Room Experience - Free version available - Solid game but multiplayer dead
R Factor 2 - Superb sim, not much going on online but worth it I think, can mod it too
Automobilista 2 - Really good - no mods, uses the project cars engine and runs well, online is hit and miss
Assetto Corsa - Excellent, busy multiplayer and you can get endless mods for it
assetto corsa competizione - GT3 racing, very good, very intense hardware wise, online is OK
iracing - the best multiplayer there is really, runs lovely in VR, has had support since the DK1 days and it really is good
Redout - Slick game like Wipeout
Grip - Even slicker game like Rollcage / Wipeout
Euro Truck Simulator - Not a racer but a kick rear end driving sim to chill out to
VR Karts, dumb fun Mario Clone but is worth a look

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2020

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Which version of project cars are you talking about ? I saw project cars 3 had pretty bad reviews so wasn’t sure what’s best for vr?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Jakabite posted:

Any goons playing Echo Arena? Just got my Quest 2. Only issue is the FOV isn’t incredible but then I don’t know if this is standard as I’ve not done much vr in the past. Would be good to play with people regularly as it seems like the sort of game where a well coordinated team would make it ten times as fun

Yeah, Echo Arena is awesome and I've noticed the match making is going a lot faster since the Q2 launch.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Davedave24 posted:

Anyone have opinions on the best place to get prescription lens inserts from?
I got mine from https://vroptician.com/ and they're fantastic. Took my prescription, arrived in about a week, come with a good case and protective bags and everything.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pierson posted:

I got mine from https://vroptician.com/ and they're fantastic. Took my prescription, arrived in about a week, come with a good case and protective bags and everything.

Seconding this company.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Carmant posted:

drat people weren't kidding when they said Superhot was the best VR experience. Also having a gun pointed at you in VR is legit terrifying.

I just got it a few days ago; it was definitely the moment that my time with VR went from "awesome" to "This is what I dreamed of as a kid"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

by.a.teammate posted:

Which version of project cars are you talking about ? I saw project cars 3 had pretty bad reviews so wasn’t sure what’s best for vr?

Project Cars 2 ...1 is ok but obsolete 3 is just dumb

Dirt Rally 2.0 is my top VR simracing title though, the stages are so god drat beautiful I sometimes stop my car and get out to enjoy the rivers and vistas... passenger planes fly overhead as bugs and birds fly about.. the clouds move and trees shake in the breeze and freeroam on Dirtfish is amazing freedom/fun. Its stages/maps rival some of the best VR maps -from games made to expedience on foot. Driving 100+mph next to cliffs and trees and through buildings in VR is mind blowing and biggest complaint is how boring and lifeless it has made all other simracing feel in VR to me :p

For anyone wanting to get it to run an dlook better, I followed this guy's tuning guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWUeiC46A4

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have experience with the Index and the Quest 2? What sort of comparison do we expect between the Qeust 2 and the Reverb 2?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have experience with the Index and the Quest 2? What sort of comparison do we expect between the Qeust 2 and the Reverb 2?

The reverb g2 has a slightly higher resolution (2160x2160) per eye than the quest 2 (1833x1920) per eye. The quest 2 has the added performance hit of having to run a video encoder to stream the video to the headset, but the higher resolution of the reverb g2 might offset that. The quest 2 is the best looking VR I’ve ever seen and the price is so much lower that I’m not really interested in the reverb g2 anymore.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I know there's other software for this but some guy on reddit made a really simple program that can measure and can gather data on various fov for headsets. I guess it's part to compare headsets and also for you to see how you are wearing your set/your ipd/wearing glasses etc affects fov as compared to other people.
https://www.infinite.cz/projects/HMD-tester-virtual-reality-headset-database-utility

I found it interesting just to compare what I am actually seeing since I don't know how to trust my own eyes and was intrigued by some other headset figures.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Thoatse posted:

Project Cars 2 ...1 is ok but obsolete 3 is just dumb

Dirt Rally 2.0 is my top VR simracing title though, the stages are so god drat beautiful I sometimes stop my car and get out to enjoy the rivers and vistas... passenger planes fly overhead as bugs and birds fly about.. the clouds move and trees shake in the breeze and freeroam on Dirtfish is amazing freedom/fun. Its stages/maps rival some of the best VR maps -from games made to expedience on foot. Driving 100+mph next to cliffs and trees and through buildings in VR is mind blowing and biggest complaint is how boring and lifeless it has made all other simracing feel in VR to me :p

For anyone wanting to get it to run an dlook better, I followed this guy's tuning guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWUeiC46A4

I followed this guide and got the game looking good without many frame drops, but I think the biggest thing for my performance was moving it to an SSD.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

by.a.teammate posted:

P Cars 2, as a game it is fine, as a VR dick around game it really can be beautiful. I can spend time in it in a cool car just driving, feels good man etc
I wouldn't touch 3 with a barge pole it's not good

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In case it's useful for someone,

ethernet over usb works in Quest 2.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

In case it's useful for someone,

ethernet over usb works in Quest 2.

How do you get that to work?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

D-Pad posted:

How do you get that to work?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jcw14j/quest_2_supports_usb_ethernet_adapters/

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Thanks for all the replies. Good lord it's a pain in the rear end to get my SteamVR location right. 90% of the time I'm too far forward or, now, in the middle of the car.

-edit- found setting to reset seating position at start of every race

Sipher fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 17, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sipher posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Good lord it's a pain in the rear end to get my SteamVR location right. 90% of the time I'm too far forward or, now, in the middle of the car.

Most games have an in game option to recenter your view on the fly. Quick google search says it's on the keyboard for project cars and you'd have to map it to a free button on your wheel. You can also hit the home button for Oculus on the touch controller, and there will be a recenter view option right in front of you. You can also access it in the toolbar with the volume controls. it's on the right side of a UI.

Anytime you are playing a game where you are in a drivers seat/cockpit, the first thing you should do is figure out how to reset the view so you don't end up with your face in the brake pedal.

Edit; NM looks like you figured it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

At the point where we're using Ethernet adapters, is the only advantage over a Link cable just the cost of commodity cat6? You're tethered either way now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Or just plug in for faster installs and updates, then untether to play.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Martytoof posted:

At the point where we're using Ethernet adapters, is the only advantage over a Link cable just the cost of commodity cat6? You're tethered either way now.

I thought it was interesting if some day someone needed some troubleshooting because something failed, not for any practical, day-to-day reason.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Actually, now that I posted the question, the obvious thing I'm thinking is that you can Virtual Desktop over awesome ethernet in any room of the house, not just remain tethered to the room that your gaming PC is in.

My house is wired for cat6 so I can theoretically PCVR in my living room, not my office with the gaming PC, with a super affordable cable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

Do you have previous game dev experience? This all looks super fantastic and polished. I'm still using the unity kyle robot and all my environments look like... this lmao

I really like that smooth, clean look

Thanks! A little, I worked briefly in games professionally, got laid off, and went into general business software for the job security and paycheck.

So i've been trying to do indie game dev in my free time for a few years. This year I got laid off due to corona, so I'm working full time on this project to procrastinate on getting another real job :cheeky:

Hearing a lot of other people say they want a light gun VR experience is reassuring. Maybe I can actually sell this thing at some point!

I tried doing a pixel art thing in VR, like COMPOUND, but I don't have the skills. That game is so gorgeous! And even this art, it isn't mine. They're marketplace assets I bought. Buuut.... Crisis Vrigade did the same thing (literally the same artist's work) so I don't feel bad. If they did it and they're on Steam, that means I can too haha. But the lowpoly style is good for indie devs, I can actually model some new assets that look similar enough, and it gives a nice consistent clean look, and makes for good VR performance. Toss in some realtime lighting and bloom and not too shabby.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 17, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A question. Does Beat Saber don't have cloud saves? Stupid Beat Saber lost my high scores. How the hell a game as popular as BS and owned by FB doesn't have it! Or maybe there was a glitch in the system and didn't detect mine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Even with the FB requirements, I see messed up stuff. Like a 10 year old sounding kid asking players to give them head in the Echo VR lobby, and then simulating it, which you can do really well in the game. Zero gravity blowjobs.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Quest has been rooted?

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jd6cfi/the_quest_2_has_allegedly_successfully_been_rooted/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/thebigdev433/status/1316926387664584704?s=20

Facebook Head of VR - "Quest 2 buyers should make sure their Facebook accounts are in “good standing” before buying a headset."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Do I need two oculus accounts to have a Quest 2 playing a game and SteamVR + Vive + Revive playing the same game? Want to try Echo VR with roommate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If I play for a few hours and then take my contacts out and put on my glasses and then use my phone poo poo gets trippy. Like my brain takes the fact it can see my glasses frames in the periphery as the same thing as the hint of goggles on the edges of the quest display and thinks reality is vr. It feels like my hands aren't there or they are disconnected vr hands or something and that I'm a person sitting in my brain looking out my eyes. The phone display feels like the heads up display when using virtual desktop.

I don't know how to explain it better. Does this happen to anyone else? Surely there is a term for it. I feel like if I play too long I'll come out and reality won't ever be reality again. The future is loving wild.

Edit: I wished I still smoked weed because I feel like the effect would be 10x stronger

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 18, 2020