Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I think I’ve had enough isolation this year tbqh

Don't worry, you aren't actually isolated in Alien Isolation most of the time. There is always an 8 foot tall barrel of fun banging around in vents that can't wait to meet you asap.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Amazing games. Some of the best from gen 8 I think.

Agreed. If Amnesia Rebirth can live up to Soma, drat that would be swell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed. If Amnesia Rebirth can live up to Soma, drat that would be swell.

I'm so fuckin excited for Tuesday. 2020 gamin keep on keepin on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

same. hang in there, yo, we'll be back to normal soon enough :doit:

Brainstorm was an OK movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZSyO_twOA

what

quote:

Have you heard? Sega celebrates its 60th birthday this year. That’s why there’s a Sonic the Hedgehog costume in Fall Guys, and it’s why Steam has a raft of free games for you to pick up between Thursday and next Monday.

The offerings include Streets of Kamurocho, which sounds like Streets of Rage using Yakuza characters. Kiryu and Majima team up to beat-em-up in a very well rendered, 16-bit tribute to both Sega franchises. It’s free to download and keep, but only from Oct. 17 to Oct. 19.

my bad, somebody posted it already.

but WHAT ABOUT....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc1qwginrWU

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 18, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My favourite thing about nier automata so far has been ending Z

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Is Milla Jovovich contractually bound to be in every badly adapted movie of a capcom franchise?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

Is Milla Jovovich contractually bound to be in every badly adapted movie of a capcom franchise?

As long as Capcom keep letting her husband direct them, sure.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love how in 2020 where movie adaptations are almost slavishly devoted to the source material, Paul W.S. Anderson is making a Monster Hunter movie that revolves around the US Marines and stars Milla Jovovich. He's the last director still trying to make things that fans will surely hate and barely recognize. It's so gloriously 1997.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Morpheus posted:

All in all, I found it an enjoyable, if lengthy, time. Certainly not a goty experience, but a better-than-average one for sure.

I liked that game a lot, I also think it gets a harder reception than it deserves. One thing about it is that you can see the game actually get better and more interesting as it goes on, as though you can see the designers getting more thoughtful and skilled.

Also for real, shoutout to Boozer. I love how one of the game's main objectives is to cheer up your best friend Boozer, which you do by sticking a knife on his arm and making him feel manly again which seems pretty realistic for that kinda dude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Allright guys, we are making a movie based off the popular video game series "Crash Bandicoot". It all starts out when our star Vin Diesel rejoins an elite group of Navy Seals after losing his wife and child in a terrorist attack. Once he lands in Iraq, he finds a magical amulet that...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

I liked that game a lot, I also think it gets a harder reception than it deserves. One thing about it is that you can see the game actually get better and more interesting as it goes on, as though you can see the designers getting more thoughtful and skilled.

Also for real, shoutout to Boozer. I love how one of the game's main objectives is to cheer up your best friend Boozer, which you do by sticking a knife on his arm and making him feel manly again which seems pretty realistic for that kinda dude.

Also the bit where you graft an ice cream scoop to his arm so he can drive the truck I think that was a thing that happened right?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Streets of kamo is fun, shame its only the first level but its cool af

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Okay, so Nier Automata. I am somewhere in Route C. When is this game supposed to get good again? I am so bored by everything in this game I honestly can't see what people see in it. I am seriously considering abandoning this playthrough but figure I should at least see it though. How far am I from the "end"?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

Okay, so Nier Automata. I am somewhere in Route C. When is this game supposed to get good again? I am so bored by everything in this game I honestly can't see what people see in it. I am seriously considering abandoning this playthrough but figure I should at least see it though. How far am I from the "end"?

you should probably play a game you actually like instead of forcing yourself through something other people liked

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Route C is the final route but why have you played it so far if you don’t like it?

If you aren’t enjoying it just punch out now, there’s nothing coming that’s gonna change your mind. Play something you enjoy instead, time is valuable.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Idk, this game is so highly regarded and even though I was very critical about it before playing it I feel I should experience it in its entirety in order to form a complete opinion about it. I dont mind so much if it is boring since I play games mainly to relax so I'm not complaining as such, merely commenting on my experience with the game.

If I am really close to the end I think I will just finish it

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

fridge corn posted:

No you’re there! Route C is the end, and when poo poo goes down.

Also there’s still tons of good music, do it for my girl Emi. https://youtu.be/woDwApwNUrI

Also holy shut I just found out she does a lot of the most memorable Dark Souls’ tracks vocals, just ‘oohs’ and ‘aaahs’ but still !
https://youtu.be/mvvFnR0kJFw

https://youtu.be/CBvdme-HvdE

She’s also the reason I didn’t break my controller in Shrine of Amana! https://youtu.be/DOwietDRIeE

imhotep fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 18, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I like the game enough to have a N:A tattoo and even I wouldn’t say “just keep going it gets better!”

Route C can be knocked out in under 10 hours if you just mainline it. There’s one more ending to get after you finish but it’s literally (minor spoiler) picking the last chapter from chapter select and making the opposite decision that you made for your first one so if you’re really going to get all the way there you might as well tack on the 10-15 minutes it’ll take to do that and see ‘everything’.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

fridge corn posted:

fridge corn posted:

I'm not complaining as such

You are very bad at not complaining.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

SiKboy posted:

You are very bad at not complaining.

Sorry but I feel its an important distinction

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
to answer your original question Fridge Corn I think i battered through C, D and E in the same day without any trouble, I was kinda rushing through for the ending though although that sounds like it'd suit you too

its a weird game honestly, I cried at the very ending because it had such an emotional impact but also it has so many flaws that put me off playing till the end, the combat is boring and rudimentary, the character design is pervy in a way I don't care for, its kind of an ugly game, it doesn't feel particularly great to play in the way platinum games normally do but it did enough clever things to make it interesting

Definitely a prime example of a game being better on easy, at least for me personally, people go on about the chip system but I found it easy to totally ignore, its nothing like the combat in a Bayonetta or a God Hand which is kind of what I wanted going in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

My favourite thing about nier automata so far has been ending Z

Ending Zzz.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Y’all are crazy, I can just turn it on and run around and drift on hogs while taking in the beautiful music and scenery. I think movement feels great in it, and I’m glad they updated the Nier Replicant remaster to feel similar. Also I just looked up what ending Z was and you’re a monster.

Fridge Corn, you should play Outer Wilds next, very curious what you would think of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished Vigil: The Longest Night and I'd say give that a look if you enjoy hard AF 2D Soulstroidvanias and one indie studio's quest to make a Legally Distinct Bloodborne. I think it's 25bux and my first playthrough was around 20 hours, missing quite a few optional bosses and zones. Good music, encounter design, and some pretty fun combat with weapons ripped straight outta BB.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Okay, so Nier Automata. I am somewhere in Route C. When is this game supposed to get good again?

I was really struggling enjoying the game until I read a really good guide online about it. What you wanna do is, navigate to the icon on your PlayStation menu, press "options" and then select "delete software"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was really struggling enjoying the game until I read a really good guide online about it. What you wanna do is, navigate to the icon on your PlayStation menu, press "options" and then select "delete software"

wish this worked on your posts

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Allright guys, we are making a movie based off the popular video game series "Crash Bandicoot". It all starts out when our star Vin Diesel rejoins an elite group of Navy Seals after losing his wife and child in a terrorist attack. Once he lands in Iraq, he finds a magical amulet that...

It seems to me like a lot of adaptions like this shove in some US army dudes to function as viewpoint characters for the audience, which is pretty hosed up in it’s own right and also really patronising. And boring.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Y’all are crazy, I can just turn it on and run around and drift on hogs while taking in the beautiful music and scenery. I think movement feels great in it, and I’m glad they updated the Nier Replicant remaster to feel similar. Also I just looked up what ending Z was and you’re a monster.

Fridge Corn, you should play Outer Wilds next, very curious what you would think of it.

Outer Wilds is a good shout. It fell off my radar but theres nothing else on my immediate wishlist below the magic £20 barrier. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

wish this worked on your posts

lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s one more ending to get after you finish but it’s literally (minor spoiler) picking the last chapter from chapter select and making the opposite decision that you made for your first one so if you’re really going to get all the way there you might as well tack on the 10-15 minutes it’ll take to do that and see ‘everything’.

VERY IMPORTANT: Do this, for the love of god. Don’t do what Donny Don’t Did

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

fridge corn posted:

Outer Wilds is a good shout. It fell off my radar but theres nothing else on my immediate wishlist below the magic £20 barrier. Thanks!

Hell yes, I’m excited to see what you think. I mean I love Nier, but I’m mostly joking when I reply dismissively to people who say they aren’t enjoying the game, and I can totally understand why it’s not for everyone (even tho I do think it’s weird/interesting enough that even people who aren’t enjoying a lot of it still end up playing all of it). But I can honestly recommend Outer Wilds to anyone who posts here, without any reservations or caveats, because it’s truly a special game and utterly unique and also beautiful, especially for a very small indie devs first game. Don’t look up anything about the game tho, i don’t want to say why, but the game is very ‘spoilerable’ because of the nature of the core mechanics and how you progress in the game.

Not enough ppl itt have played Outer Wilds, it deserves Yakuza/Nier/Bloodborne status in here, it’s one of the best games of the decade, easily.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 18, 2020

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Imhotep posted:

Not enough ppl itt have played Outer Wilds, it deserves Yakuza/Nier/Bloodborne status in here, it’s one of the best games of the decade, easily.

I bounced off The Outer Wilds so hard. I found the flight mechanics to be very realistic but very unfun because of that. It was frustrating just getting around the environment at all times. The story was good, but the game was not.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Seedge posted:

I bounced off The Outer Wilds so hard. I found the flight mechanics to be very realistic but very unfun because of that. It was frustrating just getting around the environment at all times. The story was good, but the game was not.

I don't get The Outer Wilds. It crashed to desktop twice for me then when I gave it a 3rd chance the second I walked up to an NPC and had to read subtitles for a fake language I knew it was the sort of game I wouldn't enjoy. Not for me Clive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nier Automata is great but just because a game is good means you have to like it.

I know games threads can get histile to the idea you don’t like a good game but it will happen

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nier Automata is great but just because a game is good means you have to like it.

I know games threads can get histile to the idea you don’t like a good game but it will happen

Idk if this was directed at me, but I mean yeah I agree. I don’t like Breath of the Wild or The Witcher 3 or Spider Man, but i know that they’re good games. Just like I think Nier is an incredible game, that I can completely understand not enjoying for the same reasons that made me think that the game wouldn’t be my thing when I saw trailers and other promotional stuff for the game.

I also just meant that with Outer Wilds, i can recommend it without having to say ‘i know the androids are wearing heels and short skirts and are hot, and it’s pretty anime looking, and Emil looks kind of like a Tim Burton design, but it actually is good! Like I don’t have to make excuses for it, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well this was more at the idea he has to finish it.

You really don’t.

People might try to play gotcha that your opinion isn’t valid unless you play a certain percentage but eh gently caress those guys

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Agreed, everyone should like Nier Automata and other good games

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Of course not, but it’s Fridge Corn, he will complain about a game for weeks and then say ‘well I finished it, it wasn’t that good’. And also is a self proclaimed lover of mediocre games.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think I was always going to finish nier automata and my saying I was considering otherwise was more commentary on my thoughts while playing it than anything else really. I don't care about people thinking my opinion on the game would be invalid if I dont finish the game but it deserves a fair shake and perhaps the ending of the game will alter my opinion on the work as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Imhotep posted:

Of course not, but it’s Fridge Corn, he will complain about a game for weeks and then say ‘well I finished it, it wasn’t that good’. And also is a self proclaimed lover of mediocre games.

Sometimes an Okay game can be Good and sometimes a Good game can be Bad. These are just some of the mysteries of the Fridge Corn Game Rating System