Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Has anyone played Crown Trick? It looks like a really neat roguelite.

I played a beta (possibly demo, was difficult to figure out how much content was there since it was only available for 2 days) and I liked the core gameplay but found the bosses to be really tedious. The main gameplay is like rogue wizards except there's substance to it. Where that one was basically about number-go-up, Crown Trick had an interesting combo system that you need to take advantage of to replenish your mana resource during fights, which take place in closed rooms similar to Wizard of Legend. I was intrigued by what I saw, but I don't know if there's enough content there to make for a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Acerbatus posted:

Okay, how the hell do I kill anything early game? Necrons have 12 HP and sometimes 1 armor and my guns do 1-2 damage.

I have no doubt it gets easy but this is absurd.

There's two types of armour; yellow/blue means physical/energy, enemies can never have both at the same time. If they're immune to gun fire early on, just walk up to them and hit them with an axe. 1) The basic necron has no melee skills, 2) units can't use ranged attacks if someone in melee range, and 3) the basic axe roots people in place on a crit.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Heretek missions being labeled "easy" is a tremendous troll by the devs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is a folder called "Downloading" in my steam directory, with a subfolder called GAMEDATA and a further subfolder in that called PCBANKS, with 8 gigs of .pak files in it. Are these safe to delete, or do they need to be there? I'm clearing out my steam folder since there's poo poo like 5 gigs of duplicate TF2 folders in secondary account folders and poo poo like that that I can safely expunge, and anything else I can give the boot I want to do so.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s a good shoot mans game that is cheap/ on sale frequently that isn’t also dead?

No thanks on Destiny 2.

Single player but Dusk is worth some time and it's frequently on sale.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

What’s a good shoot mans game that is cheap/ on sale frequently that isn’t also dead?

No thanks on Destiny 2.

Battlefield 4 is still well populated (24 hour peak of just under 3000 on Steam alone, probably about that much on Origin) and is arguably the last really good Battlefield game.

Titanfall 2 has a great singleplayer campaign and multiplayer that includes the Frontier Defense coop mode, it was dying off somewhat but Apex and then the Steam re-release breathed new life into it, and the player count again got a decent bump since Titanfall 3 was leaked at the end of September and players have come back to it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Captain Invictus posted:

There is a folder called "Downloading" in my steam directory, with a subfolder called GAMEDATA and a further subfolder in that called PCBANKS, with 8 gigs of .pak files in it. Are these safe to delete, or do they need to be there? I'm clearing out my steam folder since there's poo poo like 5 gigs of duplicate TF2 folders in secondary account folders and poo poo like that that I can safely expunge, and anything else I can give the boot I want to do so.

Look at the modification date. Have those files actually been downloaded recently?

If not, purge. That folder holds temporary files.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Invictus posted:

Just about every reference I can find about PCBANKS and Steam is about No Man's Sky, so it's probably safe to delete if you're not playing that game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aha, I paused a major update for No Man's Sky a while ago and never resumed it, so that's likely what those are. Think now that I've cleared out a bunch of space I'll get rid of these extraneous chunks and let it redownload updates to the current version. Thanks!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I got to the end of control. I still have to do the DLCs but unless they torpedo it somehow this must be one of my top 10 games ever. what an incredible game, loved just about every part of it. the visual & sound design and attention to detail were some of the best I've ever seen. also I didn't understand roughly the entire last two hours of it but that's ok. it's the kind of game where that is ok

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have a weird issue, though it's not a major one:

I got SW Jedi Fallen Order through Origin via an Intel promo.
Game works fine when I start it from either within Origin or through the desktop shortcut.

I tried adding it as a Non-Steam game, using the exact same path and working dir settings as in the shortcut, but when launching from within Steam, I can see Origin starting up as a task, and then nothing.
I haven't been able to find any solution, as all everyone are talking about, is how the game originally had issues launching, when people had bought it on Steam and Origin wouldn't work for them, and that whole integration thing.

So has anyone succeeded in launching SW Jedi Fallen Order, as a pure Origin game (not bought through Steam), from within Steam?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Vigil: The Longest Night in about 20 hours. Well sort of, because it appears that I missed a ton of bosses despite seemingly being very thorough. Some of them appear to be as well-hidden as Bloodborne's secret areas, and you presumably need them all to get the "true" ending. Overall I'd say it was a pretty cool game and would recommend it if you like recent 2D Soulstroidvanias such as Salt & Sanctuary, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, or just want to see an indie studio release a Legally Distinct Bloodborne. If they have NG+ I might go back to see what I missed since according to the internet there's at least 3-4 more bosses than the ones I found. Hard is pretty freaking Hard in this game so don't select it unless you want a challenge!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

I have a weird issue, though it's not a major one:

I got SW Jedi Fallen Order through Origin via an Intel promo.
Game works fine when I start it from either within Origin or through the desktop shortcut.

I tried adding it as a Non-Steam game, using the exact same path and working dir settings as in the shortcut, but when launching from within Steam, I can see Origin starting up as a task, and then nothing.
I haven't been able to find any solution, as all everyone are talking about, is how the game originally had issues launching, when people had bought it on Steam and Origin wouldn't work for them, and that whole integration thing.

So has anyone succeeded in launching SW Jedi Fallen Order, as a pure Origin game (not bought through Steam), from within Steam?

Unfortunately I have FO on Steam so I can’t test this theory, but problems like this are very often caused by the steam overlay. If you haven’t yet, try disabling that for the FO.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
That did it! Thanks :)

But it was a bit of a hassle to disable Steam overlay on a Non-Steam game, as the setting doesn't exist in the properties in the library.
You have to open Big Picture mode, go into Controller Config and disable it there, then exit Big Picture mode and it's disabled in the regular mode as well.

Why on earth it's not possible to do so in the game properties is beyond my understanding.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

phantasy star online 2 is finally available in my region, is it worth a go or should i just remember its day on the dreamcast?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artelier posted:

phantasy star online 2 is finally available in my region, is it worth a go or should i just remember its day on the dreamcast?

I had never played it before the PC release but really had fun with it for about a month or so before running out of steam. Not sure if your question means you've played it previously or not but if you're looking for an mmo ish experience that's both confusing as hell and swarming with robots I highly recommend it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Acerbatus posted:

The Heretek missions being labeled "easy" is a tremendous troll by the devs.

The game got its difficulty adjusted heavily specifically because of complaints like the one you're responding to above on launch, so any advice from anybody that played more than like two months ago is effectively worthless, including my own. But as a general rule of thumb, while your guns only do like 2 to 3 damage, if you're chasing cognition points (and you should be) you should be able to fire off multiple attacks per turn from every character, letting you chew through that warrior block. Don't make the mistake of just doing a shoot-move with your characters, try to maximize actions as much as possible, because action economy is the god stat in that game.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Is there a CSGO thread? Is that poster still around who would help you sell your inventory items, he was like an escrow service?

I just unboxed a Skeleton Knife and my heart fell out of my chest.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Samfucius posted:

Is there a CSGO thread? Is that poster still around who would help you sell your inventory items, he was like an escrow service?

Was that cpt invictus or something like that? I think he had an SA mart thread, if that helps.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Yeah, I was Captain Invictus, I figured it out and sent him a message

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Just finished Vigil: The Longest Night in about 20 hours. Well sort of, because it appears that I missed a ton of bosses despite seemingly being very thorough. Some of them appear to be as well-hidden as Bloodborne's secret areas, and you presumably need them all to get the "true" ending. Overall I'd say it was a pretty cool game and would recommend it if you like recent 2D Soulstroidvanias such as Salt & Sanctuary, Hollow Knight, Bloodstained, or just want to see an indie studio release a Legally Distinct Bloodborne. If they have NG+ I might go back to see what I missed since according to the internet there's at least 3-4 more bosses than the ones I found. Hard is pretty freaking Hard in this game so don't select it unless you want a challenge!

are these bosses/secrets permanently missable?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samfucius posted:

Congrats, man. Have you decided which country you're going to retire to?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

are these bosses/secrets permanently missable?

Without spoiling too much, there's a cutoff point after the third boss where you enter an alternate dimension, and if you did not complete certain sidequests before, you won't have the items you need to complete certain long quest chains in the next. So if you're worried about permanently missing stuff, look up a questing guide before you go into the Catacombs to face off against the third boss.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I bought this after your posts and it seems pretty great. Thanks Tea!

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

exquisite tea posted:

Hey, thanks for your mini-reviews of this game. I have some questions if you don't mind:

1. How's the backtracking/fast travel in this game? 1 of the most repeated complaints about Metroidvania (MV) style games are the backtracking part, and for example Blasphemous has been day & night for me after they added the fast travel at savepoints thing.

2. Will the combat expand a lot from the initial stage of the game? More mobile or something? For example, Salt & Sanctuary never actually change from start to the end on the mobility part, while games like Hollow Knight improve massively as you get better power ups.

3. How's the (auto)map? Is it non-existent like S&S, or serviceable like most games, or quite good like Bloodstained & such that you can actually deduce where to go next from the unexplored part of the map?

Thanks in advance. I've just finished Blasphemous and I'm looking for another game to scratch that MV itch. Have played all the common highlights like HK/Bloodstained/etc.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question on Terraria: What size world should I play on, for my first time? (Well, not really, but more like first time to really commit to it)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Unlucky7 posted:

Question on Terraria: What size world should I play on, for my first time? (Well, not really, but more like first time to really commit to it)
If you're solo, small.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

srulz posted:

Hey, thanks for your mini-reviews of this game. I have some questions if you don't mind:

1. How's the backtracking/fast travel in this game? 1 of the most repeated complaints about Metroidvania (MV) style games are the backtracking part, and for example Blasphemous has been day & night for me after they added the fast travel at savepoints thing.

2. Will the combat expand a lot from the initial stage of the game? More mobile or something? For example, Salt & Sanctuary never actually change from start to the end on the mobility part, while games like Hollow Knight improve massively as you get better power ups.

3. How's the (auto)map? Is it non-existent like S&S, or serviceable like most games, or quite good like Bloodstained & such that you can actually deduce where to go next from the unexplored part of the map?

Thanks in advance. I've just finished Blasphemous and I'm looking for another game to scratch that MV itch. Have played all the common highlights like HK/Bloodstained/etc.

1. The fast travel + save point system is probably the best I’ve seen for a game of this type. You can fast travel and save at any owl statue, and you’re given an infinite use Homeward Bone at the start of the game. You lose progress if you die before reaching the next statue, but you can use an item to create a quicksave anywhere if you want to spare yourself the runback to a boss or are about to attempt a difficult platforming section.

2. You unlock a few traversal moves such as a double jump, slide and dash but that’s about it. Somewhat unique to a Metroidvania is that you level up weapon-based skills instead of stats. I went with mostly 2handers all game and unlocked a heavy attack combo, air flip and whirlwind. Also every weapon you find out in the world has its own specific technique skill. I settled on Vigil’s equivalent of the Kirkhammer and that had a special ground pound ability.

3. The automap is free and always present like Bloodstained, but to be honest it’s not the best. I could use it to infer some places I hadn’t yet explored, but confusingly a few areas such as caves or insterstitial zones won’t show up, making it difficult to orient yourself at times. I liked it more than HK’s system but it definitely could have been better.

Well there you go!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

so heres some interesting 2p coop puzzle games I haven't seen mentioned here before which I just finished playing through with my brother.

We Were Here
We Were Here Too
We Were Here Together

these are puzzle games for 2 players that require tight communication. every puzzle involves the players being separated and presented with different information and different ways to interact with the puzzle, and you have to talk it out. you could just use discord but we chose to use the ingame walkie talkies (which adds a bit of challenge since they only allow one person to talk at a time and won't work if you both hold the button down at once). worth looking at if you like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Destiny 2 raids, etc.

puzzles are pretty varied and creative, and differ in how much each player is "doing" vs "guiding" (the first game has one player do all of the guiding but the second two mix it up). you might have to direct the other player through a maze, do some weird-rear end alchemy where you send ingredients back and forth to each other to combine, describe a symbol to your friend who has to recreate it based on your description, etc. A few puzzles have time pressure and you get dumped into lava or something if you take too long. there were only a couple puzzles I didn't like and they're overall quite good.

the games are very budget, with some jank and some hilariously bad voice acting, but we found that stuff pretty enjoyable/ignorable because the puzzles are the important part anyway. they're also not particularly long, with the first game taking us 1 hour, the second game taking 2 hours, and the third game taking 5 hours. then about half that time again to replay each game with swapped roles. the first game feels like a bit of an experiment/prototype but it's also free so whatever--each subsequent game is substantially higher quality. I haven't been able to find many other games like these, so I'd welcome any similar game recommendations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Unlucky7 posted:

Personally I find small maps a bit cramped with all the biomes and stuff and prefer medium sized maps but it's perfectly playable regardless of map size.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unless they changed things, small medium and large maps all have the same amount of resources but spread wider apart, so a small world would be good for your first time, then possibly a medium world so you're not getting such huge clumps of resources everywhere.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Captain Invictus posted:

Unless they changed things, small medium and large maps all have the same amount of resources but spread wider apart, so a small world would be good for your first time, then possibly a medium world so you're not getting such huge clumps of resources everywhere.

They changed that ages ago, because it was legit way too difficult to find resources on Large.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yami Fenrir posted:

They changed that ages ago, because it was legit way too difficult to find resources on Large.
okey well disregard that then! It's been a while, maybe I should hop back in again. How many "tiers" of content(like, first 3 bosses are tier 1, hardmode is tier 2, etc) have they added past the moon lord? that's the last boss I killed.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

I'd recommend medium too. Small worlds might be just a little too small.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I felt like small worlds were good for 1-2 players back when the game first came out, but now they’ve added so many new biomes as well as little bonus biomes like the marble zone that a medium world makes sense even for 1 player, since that extra world space isn’t just getting you “more caves,” it’s getting you more of everything

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

so heres some interesting 2p coop puzzle games I haven't seen mentioned here before which I just finished playing through with my brother.

I also played through those games and loved them, sadly there doesn't seem to be much similar stuff out there. My friend and I tried Tick Tock: A Tale for Two but ended up not enjoying it. There's a game projected to come out next year called KeyWe that had a pretty good demo earlier this year and scratched a similar itch.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Did you get Observer when it was free on Epic? You can get the new game with a big discount!

https://twitter.com/ObserverRedux/status/1316789684710731776

(It won't show the full discount until you're at the checkout page, but it does work with the free version)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ymgve posted:

Did you get Observer when it was free on Epic? You can get the new game with a big discount!

https://twitter.com/ObserverRedux/status/1316789684710731776

(It won't show the full discount until you're at the checkout page, but it does work with the free version)

I got it when it was free on Twitch :sigh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Banner Saga 2 runs into the trap of having you import your save from the first game but having no real ideas for what it wants to do with your imported crew, and the story it seems more interested in telling revolves around a whole new cast of unlikeable turds. The overall effect isn't great, even before they start chucking new generic fantasy gubbins into the previously streamlined and focused narrative (have some centaurs isn't that exciting...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I take it the latest Humble Monthly isn't selling very well since I just got an e-mail notifying that I can get the bundle for $6. It just makes me regret my purchase of Fae Tactics even more, though. Wish I had refunded it when I had the chance!