Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was shocking wasn't it lol. I said "no loving way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

DogsInSpace! posted:

Dunno if it helps but I barely made it through season 2 and noped out in 3 for the same reasons. I even got annoyed at the guy playing Lucifer as it just felt so hollywood. Then I started the Netflix seasons and there is something just ... better about it. Maybe it was just the time off but I've been enjoying the Netflix seasons. I would say give them a try and I never went back to season 3 as the latest seasons sum it up well enough.

Lucifer was treading water for seasons 2 and 3 and not really advancing the overarching plot much at all; kind of like a serial anime.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Michael Emerson is god tier :allears:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Okay fine I'll watch Evil

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm also angry that Netflix chose to save Lucifer instead of continuing Santa Clarita Diet. They may not be related in any way but that's just how I feel.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was shocking wasn't it lol. I said "no loving way"

Yeah I was really surprised that they went all the way with that on a network like CBS.

Whatever, show's alright. A couple plot points like that and the haunted VR headset feel a little too ripped-from-the-headlines for me but there's enough interesting stuff in there to keep me watching over my wife's shoulder while I do other stuff. And yeah Michael Emerson is great.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

Same

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.

Gaunab posted:

I'm also angry that Netflix chose to save Lucifer instead of continuing Santa Clarita Diet. They may not be related in any way but that's just how I feel.

I read that is was Drew who decided to end it to focus on her talk show. But no way to know for certain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Santa Clarita Diet finished and was cancelled a year and a half before her talk show started. They’re not related at all. It was cancelled by Netflix. Where do you get your news from?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Escobarbarian posted:

Santa Clarita Diet finished and was cancelled a year and a half before her talk show started. They’re not related at all. It was cancelled by Netflix. Where do you get your news from?

Yeah, that sounds like something said very recently to give the people below the fold some benefit of doubt.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Wait her talk show wasn't just an snl sketch

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gen-Xers don't need SNL, they parody themselves.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaunab posted:

That show was so good. That and The Tick were god tier and both of those getting cancelled back to back was such a giant bummer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Turns out the streaming services are as good at murdering quality programming as the cable channels who could have predicted this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Netflix is way more inclined to do it because their revenue is 100% non-discriminated. A $400k income household pays the same per screen for Netflix as a $35k one. Whereas on network or cable, a show may survive several seasons on 100k viewers if enough of them drive Audis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

theflyingexecutive posted:

Netflix is way more inclined to do it because their revenue is 100% non-discriminated. A $400k income household pays the same per screen for Netflix as a $35k one. Whereas on network or cable, a show may survive several seasons on 100k viewers if enough of them drive Audis.

Netflix also knows exactly how many eyes are on any given show, so they know for sure if it’s worth the investment.

Sadly the increased costs after 3 seasons means that’s when a lot of shows bite it. Unless you’re an Altered Carbon season 2 level fuckup, usually if you get renewed for S2 you’ll make it to S3.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hopefully by this point creators realize that and don't leave everyone with a cliffhanger on the second season.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm assuming the streaming apps also basically do away with the old syndication benchmark where a show might buy some time just to make itself profitable in the secondary market. But Netflix doesn't really have to worry about that with its stuff.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Well with networks running low on shows currently they are showing some previously streaming-only shows, like MANHUNT, LA's Finest, and Star Trek: Discovery. I don't know how comparable that is to syndication, however.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO is bringing over a bunch of Israeli dramas too. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

HBO is bringing over a bunch of Israeli dramas too. I think we'll be seeing a lot more of that.

Maybe more people than me watched Our Boys last year, which was very good but seemed to have almost zero online traction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The United States posted:

Well with networks running low on shows currently they are showing some previously streaming-only shows, like MANHUNT, LA's Finest, and Star Trek: Discovery. I don't know how comparable that is to syndication, however.

I don't think it is. My understand is that the idea with syndication was always that you needed around 88-100 episodes of it to make it worth channels paying to air it on a nightly basis and not burn through the whole thing too quickly. So that could buy a struggling show a 3rd or 4th season if they were on the edge but they saw value in giving it a chance in that secondary market. But like Netflix isn't selling its shows off to syndication and their "secondary market" is just their first one with people binging on the app. And short run shows are probably even more valuable in that way because they're more attractive to binge than an 8 season show or something.

The network airings of the streamings hows doesn't feel similar since they're still doing them week-to-week so even a short run series has value and this is a short term thing anyway.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 18, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm still proud of myself for making this gif. I will never stop laughing at it.

Also the guy who ran seasons 1-4 is coming back to run the new show so as long as it's a continuation with absolutely nobody from the original series except Dexter and maybe Masuka, I'm game.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

it's going to be fun seeing how he tries to reverse that dumbass ending so we can get Dexter behind bars finally

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still have not finished Dexter and I consider that a mark of personal growth that I was able to walk away and not go back.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

IRQ posted:

Criminally mishandled show. Is that streaming anywhere?

Should I also finally watch Dexter?

Almost Human is streaming on IMDB tv, which is part of Amazon's tv service network (which you can access through Amazon Prime's app, generally). If you have an amazon device like a fire stick it might be a separate client.

Similarly, Fringe is on it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Started a rewatch of Newsradio on Crackle because the Mary Tyler Moore reminded me of it and it's been a decade since I saw it. It's still really good. Like I wish it was on Netflix or Hulu so it could become one of those 90s shows that has a resurgence.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Has anyone rewatched Working lately? I remember absolutely loving it while it was coming out and recently watched the pilot. I think it may have aged quite well, if not for the version I watched being like 240 resolution.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spartacus ruled. Banshee ruled. Black Sails ruled.

What's the new Spartacus / Banshee / Black Sails? I want it.

pleasedon'tsayVikingspleasedon'tsayVikings

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Warrior is on season 2. It's from the same team that did Banshee.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s def Warrior right now

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Warrior is great and it's a shame that there doesn't really seem to be a place for a show like that right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is warrior easier to get into than Banshee? I wanted to like that show but every character was just such a shithead I couldn’t root for anyone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is warrior easier to get into than Banshee? I wanted to like that show but every character was just such a shithead I couldn’t root for anyone.

I've found it harder, but that's mostly because it's a bit shapeless, and the first season barely resolved anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It definitely has more classically likeable characters but yeah you have to remember who’s in what Tong and what their scheme is at each moment and it’s not always easy. There’s a third Tong that doesn’t get much focus that I still couldn’t really tell you anything about

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

esperterra posted:

it's going to be fun seeing how he tries to reverse that dumbass ending so we can get Dexter behind bars finally

Let's just hope they don't go the book route where the dark passenger is a literal creature inhabiting Dexter driving him to kill

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Azhais posted:

Let's just hope they don't go the book route where the dark passenger is a literal creature inhabiting Dexter driving him to kill

Oh I hope we go that router. Dexter, monster hunter. So loving corny.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
idk i want dexter to fully get away with his crimes

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

didn't realize it was from the wife husband team who created good wife and the good fight. That's an instant win for me and I'll add it back to my list once DISCO is all up and I can just pay for a single month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quick reminder that because we’re in October it’s law that you watch Over the Garden Wall at least once