Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So Athena dodges don't deflect anything Alecto does but the little ancillary bolts she fires, yes? I figured the blades and aoe areas wouldn't either but she just beat me to death swinging at me and charging, through my Athena dodges. I've never lost to Alecto, or any fury, after having completed dozens of successful runs, but she just chopped me up out of nowhere somehow. Utterly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

ChrisBTY posted:

My most recent clear was with Eris rail. Unfortunately the whole thing kinda went tits up and it was a 37 minute clear on heat 4. I didn't have a call at the end because I couldn't get Athena to cough hers up for love or money so it made the dad fight take like 3 minutes longer. Apparently I don't quite 'get' the Eris Rail.

One of the cool things about Eris is that all damage is affected by the boost even Doom. So Ares is a surprisingly good choice for an attack boon with some of his support boons.

Throw a big number boon on special like Aphrodite, Athena or Artemis and you’re pretty much good to go.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I only tried 3 runs and it didn’t grab me in comparison to rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon but all the praise it keeps getting is making me think if I should give it another shot.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I only tried 3 runs and it didn’t grab me in comparison to rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon but all the praise it keeps getting is making me think if I should give it another shot.

Ya... its good

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

Give it a few more runs and pay attention to what people tell you after your runs. Hade is really a "game-for-everybody" in that sense.

If you're looking for "bust the game wide open after smashing its skull across your knee" builds like you can get in Isaac/Gungeon you're going to have to wait until the Authority/Prophecy mirror builds because the game is fairly locked-down.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sure. I was kinda in this same boat when i started playing it on Early Access a while ago. After a failed run i just kinda lost interest and waited until they finished the game. Now that 1.0 is out, I went back and this game has exceeded my expectations.

What sets this roguelike apart is a combination of things. Pretty drat quick combat with all the great lessons they took from their prior games. Being able to make accidentally good builds almost all the time with the tools and powerups you get, an absurdly gigantic amount of voiced dialogue that keeps track of your progress, and things you do and people you meet. The art, music and sound effects are amazing as always.

When you successfully finish your first run, trust me when I say you'll find plenty of motivation to keep on playing. I'm not sure if you'd believe me if i say this, but I think they managed to top Bastion

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Jank runs when you get to Hades, know you don't really have a chance, and see a fishing spot on the screen are the worst.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I bought it a while ago and put enough time into it to get my first clear. I stopped then until release cause you couldn’t really continue the story. You continually improve and once it clicks it continues on forever. The story is pretty good too. The characters are very sexy and they legitimately are cool to talk to. Plus the art is amazing like all supergiant games.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

SeANMcBAY posted:

How far did you get?

I love the game personally but comparatively dislike games like Isaac or Gungeon where less stuff carries over run-to-run. In Hades I was hooked instantly by the meta-progression and house story.

If you saw most of the stages but didn't like it then maybe it just won't be your thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

if you asked me which elysium enemy was the most obnoxious, I think I would have a different answer after every single run

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

if you asked me which elysium enemy was the most obnoxious, I think I would have a different answer after every single run

It's really dependent on your weapon (the big chariots are bullshit with the bow) but the consistent fuckers are the shield guys.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Oxyclean posted:

Does Eris work with Rocket? I assumed with no blast to stand in you lose the ability to take advantage of it.

Yes, it's great with Rocket Bomb cause you can stand in front of a wall and blast yourself in the face to charge up, and it's much much quicker than waiting for the normal special.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Im about 50 hours in and i finally heard Zag Repeat one line. This game has voiced dialogue to rival point n click adventure games, this is amazing
Seriously. I have about 100 hours now and I'm still getting occasional new dialogue from the Megaera fight. Alecto isn't pleased with Zag's ongoing mission to make Tisiphone say more words!

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Something clicked and now I haven't lost a single game for 20b runs. I think Dark Foresight and the legendary/duo mirror perk made all the difference. Still working on summons.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Funky Valentine posted:

It's really dependent on your weapon (the big chariots are bullshit with the bow) but the consistent fuckers are the shield guys.

This. Even the flamewheels don't stand up to the remarkably consistent anger the shield assholes inspires in me. I've learned to deal with flamewheels, and the big chariots are just another enemy. Even with Forced Overtime there are so many ways to get around them, even with a melee weapon. But a run doesn't go by where I don't beat myself senseless against shields and take a million pink energy waves to the face, despite knowing full well you can dash through them and hit them in back. Except when you can't because they turn around when you do. Or there's suddenly a trap there, or another shield dude.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i put the game down for a few days after winning three runs in a row and now that i've turned heat 1 on (9:00 tight deadline) i suddenly can't beat asterius and theseus without burning all the deaths defiance i need for hades :downs:

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

This. Even the flamewheels don't stand up to the remarkably consistent anger the shield assholes inspires in me. I've learned to deal with flamewheels, and the big chariots are just another enemy. Even with Forced Overtime there are so many ways to get around them, even with a melee weapon. But a run doesn't go by where I don't beat myself senseless against shields and take a million pink energy waves to the face, despite knowing full well you can dash through them and hit them in back. Except when you can't because they turn around when you do. Or there's suddenly a trap there, or another shield dude.

Just bait out the attack, then dash through the shield guys. Gets them every time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

War Wizard posted:

Something clicked and now I haven't lost a single game for 20b runs. I think Dark Foresight and the legendary/duo mirror perk made all the difference. Still working on summons.

Having a maxed out summon is a huge power boost. Most of them can completely skip a boss phase, I mostly use Meg because of the accurate AOE but Thanatos is really good on bosses who have a phase where they stand still like Theseus doing his summon - it can completely end Theseus phase 2 I’ve found

Meg is great on EM3 if you immediately use her because that’s 5000 damage you’ll almost always get right away

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm extremely enjoying theseus' terror before his entire second phase gets erased by companion mort

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i thought fists + ares was the ultimate omae wa mo shindeiru build, but it turns out its fists + hangover

full on drunken boxing

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought fists + ares was the ultimate omae wa mo shindeiru build, but it turns out its fists + hangover

full on drunken boxing

It's Ares + Dionysus. Ares on special, Dio on attack, and the Duo Boon on top of it all. It's magnificent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

JamMasterJim posted:

It's Ares + Dionysus. Ares on special, Dio on attack, and the Duo Boon on top of it all. It's magnificent.

If you manage to add Aphrodite you can make basically everyone in the afterlife swear off alcohol forever*.

*until next week or so but still.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

JamMasterJim posted:

iirc you don't need a Doom effect to get the Duo so the dream is Aphro on special and Ares on Cast or something so you can get both Hangover Duo Boons. Icing is Artemis Call for her Hangover Duo boon/Support Fire/Homing Blades.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

JamMasterJim posted:

I'm pretty sure the quickest that I've killed Hades was with fists using Dionysus on attack along with the Dionysus/Artemis duo. Just hangover damage and critting everywhere.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god i hate the tiny vermin

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

crepeface posted:

iirc you don't need a Doom effect to get the Duo so the dream is Aphro on special and Ares on Cast or something so you can get both Hangover Duo Boons. Icing is Artemis Call for her Hangover Duo boon/Support Fire/Homing Blades.

If you do not take Ares attack or Special, I think only his Vengeance boon can trigger the Duo, while aphrodite can have either the cast or the Dash aside from the attacks. But either of the duos makes the build extremely viable.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

JamMasterJim posted:

If you do not take Ares attack or Special, I think only his Vengeance boon can trigger the Duo, while aphrodite can have either the cast or the Dash aside from the attacks. But either of the duos makes the build extremely viable.

the Duo doesn't need Doom to Trigger it as I understand the description. it just ticks faster once you have it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the highest dps run i ever had was aphro special on the fists with the hammer that gives the special the landing slam with some insane base damage, then i got a chaos boon that buffed special damage. i would clear entire rooms in one hit as long as i remembered not to dash-special since the dash-special doesn't trigger the landing slam

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

crepeface posted:

the Duo doesn't need Doom to Trigger it as I understand the description. it just ticks faster once you have it.

You need to have one of the doom effect boons to get the dio/ares duo boon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

god i hate the tiny vermin

I love how it's the only enemy in the entire game, including all the bosses, that Zag is actually afraid of.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ZypherIM posted:

You need to have one of the doom effect boons to get the dio/ares duo boon.

Ah, I just checked and you're right. Was remembering incorrectly:

crepeface posted:

Just had a run with a 12 dmg/0.5s Heroic Hangover boon on Eris attack rail with just about every other Hangover boon as well as 4 Duo boons (8 stack, +crit chance for each stack, +crit damage on weak enemies, 0.35s damage ticks). I also had 10% attack speed from Hermes, Ricochet shot hammer and Flurry Fire (faster, more accurate shots). Stuff just melted as I pelted them with SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS.

On that note, does anyone have numbers of Flurry Fire vs Delta Chamber? Which one is higher dps?

Unrelated: Poseidon's favour is absolute bullshit, finished all the others ages ago.

I still think you don't need to have the Doom on to trigger Curse of Nausea though, I reckon you could overwrite Ares Special with Aphro Special

crepeface fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 18, 2020

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea once you have the duo boon you could get rid of the ares one, but doom on special is a pretty strong ability since you usually aren't trying to spam it too hard what with having dio on attack. Getting aphro on cast would be far better, as without support I think its a superior cast to ares and you'll be up close anyways.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Zeus is Good.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, Zeus monomaniacal focus on his lightning bolts makes stacking his boons a strong proposition. Basically all his boons compounds, even if it's not obvious.

I'm assuming that's because Zag is a man and thus Z is keeping his horniness portfolio at home.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've been spoiled on Skelly's employer but somehow I still haven't gotten that bit of dialogue. Is there anything specific you need to do to trigger it? I tried using the Companion Rib against Charon cause I thought that'd do it once I was back at the House, but it didn't work.

edit: Hmm, looks like you might need to talk to Hermes while you have Skelly's Tooth equipped. Makes sense I would miss this since I never equip it prior to Styx. I'll try this now.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 18, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Omobono posted:

Yeah, Zeus monomaniacal focus on his lightning bolts makes stacking his boons a strong proposition. Basically all his boons compounds, even if it's not obvious.

I'm assuming that's because Zag is a man and thus Z is keeping his horniness portfolio at home.

I get annoyed that Chain Lightning and Lightning Bolt are different things. Like Ares has Doom and Blade Rifts, except they're both Lightning, so there are SOME Boons that work on both.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Wow did I ever just end a loving hell of a run right now. Hades mostly melted.

Maxed chaos shield, power rush bull rush, piercing shot, 170ish doom on special, weak on attack, constant doom on weak.

Every room: 400 point piercing shot that applies weak followed immediately by six-shield full-screen shotgun blast applying doom. Repeat.

It felt like having a hacked staff of apocalypse in Diablo 1. You just walk in a room and everything dies.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I can't really get the rhythm of chaos shield down. The throw delays your ability to block, and I seem to end up throwing the special past stuff that I bull rush into. It ends out working fine but I don't think I'm using it to its full potential

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

I can't really get the rhythm of chaos shield down. The throw delays your ability to block, and I seem to end up throwing the special past stuff that I bull rush into. It ends out working fine but I don't think I'm using it to its full potential

Bull-rush through dudes, not into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

crepeface posted:

I get annoyed that Chain Lightning and Lightning Bolt are different things. Like Ares has Doom and Blade Rifts, except they're both Lightning, so there are SOME Boons that work on both.

At least with Zeus you can still potentially roll his Legendary and some of his strongest Duos by following one or the other. And also his Legendary is probably a contender for one of the best in the game.