Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did bush the elder do? I only know of the gulf war crimes and puking on japanese prime minister.

Isn’t he the one who really brought the oil companies in to government?

He also launched a war just because people thought he was a dweeby weak aristocrat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean if you look at Jimmy Carter, who's generally perceived to have been the most "peaceful" of modern Presidents, he still got the US involved in Afghanistan, approved of a coup in Turkey, launched a (failed) incursion into Iran, and greenlit the Indonesian invasion of East Timor

"best relative to his peers" does not imply "good" - the standard is extremely low

What do you imagine the extent of Trump's foreign policy has been, including direct military, indirect military, and diplomatic issues?

And would stripping hundreds of thousands of people in the US who have been here for years or decades of TPS and forcing them out count as foreign policy?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean Trump has expanded Obama's drone warfare, backed coups in Bolivia and Venezuela, ended the Iran Deal, withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accords and a bunch of other multinational treaties and institutions, and probably more stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head, but on the other hand he's eviscerated the State Department, made the rest of the world openly acknowledge that the US isn't a force for good, and is yet to start a war and kill a million people in the Middle East even though John Bolton and the other chickenhawks really really wanted him to, so that probably makes him one of the better modern presidents when it comes to foreign policy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
are people doing that.

When it was revealed Bolivia was an obvious coup no one really cared

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Trump half heartedly tried to pull the us military out of the middle East and the military just refused to do it ("slow walked it"), aided by the Lib media and uspol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Trump is continuation of Obama by other means.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Oct 17, 2020

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Don't forget backing Israeli annexation fully. Not every bad foreign policy comes from bombs.

e: though he did also tear up arms treaties

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Oct 17, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/1317085160626675715?s=20

lol probably most of us were alive for at least two worse.

personally i think this is probably a better candidate for dumbest statement in that oped

https://mobile.twitter.com/JTOBrown/status/1317286287523651585?p=v

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It's great that Biden loves his crackhead failson, I just wonder hows many millions of lives Biden destroyed with his law and order, tough on crime, antidrug crusader policy when those people probably could have used some love as well

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The gop would bring that up as a point if they weren't 100% on board with it as policy as well

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

The gop would bring that up as a point if they weren't 100% on board with it as policy as well

Why would that stop them? :thunk: See Karl Rove's ratfucking style.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I have overestimated their adherence to principles yet again :negative:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vyelkin posted:

withdrawn from the Paris Climate Accords

this one was completely worthless tho

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this one was completely worthless tho

but not worthless in the same way that trump thought it was worthless

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

maybe when they edit the algorithm to weed out disinformation there's unintended consequences????

of course not, tech companies are the enemies of the working class, not just the algorithms or policies they put in place

the trick is that they don't actually give a poo poo about disinformation. they're editing the algorithm to try to minmax their reputation and public image in the eyes of various politically powerful groups

the conservative groups will scream about bias no matter what, while the liberal groups are naive and trusting, so the way to minimize public accusations of bias is to favor the hell out of the conservative groups

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

What did bush the elder do? I only know of the gulf war crimes and puking on japanese prime minister.

the gulf war involved numerous war crimes (eg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death) and was followed by instituting sanctions that led to mass deprivation of iraqis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did clinton expand the sanctions or just get flak for perpetuating them

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did clinton expand the sanctions or just get flak for perpetuating them

He didn't get flak.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he showed that democrats can be Tough On Starving Children too.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

the gulf war involved numerous war crimes (eg https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death) and was followed by instituting sanctions that led to mass deprivation of iraqis

Probably also worth remembering he pardoned all his iron contra criminal friends to keep them from testifying about him

Once upon a time notion that trump might do such a thing was considered his great thought crime against the republic

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

yknow he does look like a smug pepe

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

Probably also worth remembering he pardoned all his iron contra criminal friends to keep them from testifying about him

Once upon a time notion that trump might do such a thing was considered his great thought crime against the republic

HW Bush's involvement in Iran-Contra was exposed the week before the elections and probably played a large part in why he lost.

The liberal media tends to downplay this a lot because it eats away at the myth of Bill Clinton being an exceptionally gifted politician and campaigner.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/1317509655996911621

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

incredible article btw

quote:

What a pair we are. Certainly, there have been setbacks. He isn’t always patient. I’m not always on my best behavior. And on those occasions, I leave a token on his desk to let him know when I have been up to no good (minor mischief like sneaking embarrassing items into a line-cutter’s grocery cart). The token I leave is an innocuous trinket, a Statue of Liberty figurine from a key chain. Anyone else who saw it wouldn’t think twice. But he knows what it means.

Whenever I leave the figurine on his desk, it means I’ve done something wrong. The second he sees it, he comes to find me, gives me a kiss and slips it back into my purse. Often, he doesn’t ask what I’ve done, but if he does, he knows he can trust me to be honest. And I know the same, so I never stray too far outside the lines.

Which is why his denial of his office crush was so confusing.

quote:

My husband was never thrilled to hear that I had spent the day in a stranger’s house without that person’s knowledge or committed other misdeeds.

quote:

When you’re a sociopath in a marriage, especially one with children, honesty is critical — even more, I would argue, than for people in “normal” relationships. As a sociopath, I had difficulty prioritizing telling the truth, but as a wife and a mother, I forced myself to learn.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Glad to see Catowife getting a chance to lay out her side of the story.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Major STDH vibes in that article. I don't know if she's actually a sociopath, but she's definitely a compulsive liar.

Sociopaths aren't dangerous but also I used to break into people's houses and steal cars.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why did her husband put up with this

are sociopaths just really great lays

edit i read the article and she doesnt even attempt to answer this question its actually a fairly impressive article in terms of how little information it conveys while using so many words

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Oct 18, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i guess she must be rich as gently caress, how else can you describe "breaking and entering" into people's homes playfully and how it relates to your husband's mood and not be in loving jail

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreylad posted:

i guess she must be rich as gently caress, how else can you describe "breaking and entering" into people's homes playfully and how it relates to your husband's mood and not be in loving jail

plot twist: she's a cop

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Feel bad for her kids

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is this the same (probably fake, probably self-diagnosed) sociopath who was doing a book tour and NPR interviews several years ago?

e: no, that was "Confessions of a Sociopath" by M. E. Thomas

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sociopathy is the new autism

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm a whimsical sociopath, just like Mary Poppins

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

It makes sense people want to read a sociopath's perspective to get an understanding of them, problem is no one understands sociopaths enough to actually verify that it's an accurate perspective.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
there was someone doing an A/T thread about being a sociopath recently and it was insane, like back to back 2000-word posts about how he was the smartest person on earth and he can read everyone's mind and he's the best at literally everything and he can manipulate you into doing whatever he wants just by saying the right words in the right order and he gives his girlfriend over 9000 orgasms every day with crazy bdsm sex

anyway i can't find the thread now so maybe it got nuked by the mods, i guess if that poster wanted his work to be immortalized he should have approached the new york times instead

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 16:06 on Oct 18, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mad Drongo posted:

:pusheen:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StashAugustine posted:

plot twist: she's a cop

Sociopath not psychopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sleeptalker posted:

It makes sense people want to read a sociopath's perspective to get an understanding of them, problem is no one understands sociopaths enough to actually verify that it's an accurate perspective.

Just read The Economist. They've been doing it right for a century and a half