Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Theoretically yeah, but every run I've done was mostly chasing each other around screaming/running away - to be fair, it does kinda rely on people being good sports about it and not just spawncamping one spot. The vision handicap helps a lot (I think it's 0.5x we had it on) because you can sneak past the imposter as long as they're not too close. I wouldn't play it in pubs who weren't in for the fun of humming the jaws theme, shouting marco/polo and offering each other as bait sacrifices, but if you're playing with friendly people it's just a good way to play and it really helps with the 'newbie doesn't know how to play and is immediately called out by people who know the map back to front and every task' stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough - I think I'll propose it to my regular group and see how it goes. Sounds like great story fodder if nothing else haha

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It's definitely a fun low-pressure way to introduce the game to new players who haven't played before, because they don't have to really know the maps or keep track of everyone or any of the heavy duty tactics, no one accuses them, they just have to kill/task and run. I started a new static today for playing it and the newbies were at a huge disadvantage (because experienced players can be like oh key swipe, oh they were at x which is only entered by y, etc) but once we swapped to benny hill hide and seek mode? Way more equal playing field and everyone chattering and we ended up playing two hours of stupid murder tag. I think we had something like:

1 imposter, 7-8 crew.
0.5x imposter vision, 1.0x crewmate vision (lets crewmates sneak past imposters/lose them when running)
1.0x imposter, 1.25x crewmate speed
10 second kill cooldown
no meetings, no reporting, no loss conditions sabotages only (so lights and doors)
imposter gives everyone a 10 second headstart

Which worked well and we had a pretty even win/loss ratio on all the maps with a mix of experienced and new players. I know other groups mess around with the types of tasks instead of the speed to give crew a chance, that can also work.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This is brilliant.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They should make that a option in pub

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Found two interesting potential bugs. On the swipe, if you swipe back and forwards three times quickly you’ll get a green. But more interestingly, on the alignment task if you align and then triple click it will complete the other half of the task too.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

New server for goons and goon-adjacent folks: https://discord.gg/vsQdpDP

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm setting up a private Discord channel for me and my buds. Most of the settings seem pretty straightforward, but is there anything not obvious I should be doing to make sure things run smooth when we try to have our game night later this week?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Red Oktober posted:

Found two interesting potential bugs. On the swipe, if you swipe back and forwards three times quickly you’ll get a green. But more interestingly, on the alignment task if you align and then triple click it will complete the other half of the task too.

The engine alignment? You mean triple tap on the screen (mobile)?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Outrail posted:

The engine alignment? You mean triple tap on the screen (mobile)?

I don't know about mobile, but on PC if you triple click when you're aligning the first engine it'll complete both parts.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

the new halloween skinning of the levels is pretty cool.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

AOC is streaming Among Us right now

https://www.twitch.tv/aoc

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
holy gently caress ilhan omar is so good at this game

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

In the first round AOC killed someone and accidentally reported it immediately. No one thought she would report herself so she escaped attention on that vote lmao.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
AOC was so cute and terrible at this game hahaha

Ilhan on the other hand was pretty savage- just knifing dudes left and right

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AOC is just a regular cute newbie whereas Ilhan is a natural born killer with veins of ice and a black stoney heart

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/1318767592740253696

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Social deduction games aren't really my jam, but the AOC stream was really fun to watch.

https://twitch.tv/videos/776770697

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

watched some of the AOC stream, it was good. McElroy's were streaming at the same time.

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1316742373120987136?s=20

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I follow some of the streamers who were with them in those games.

Big fan of how Disguised Toast was trying to help out the newcomers Ilhan and AOC (and that game where he manipulated AOC into trusting him was golden), and I was laughing at her reaction to Corpse Husband's voice.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

just played a pub game where someone called a meeting and then everyone instantly voted me out, at the exact same second. the chat opened and every single person but me instantly voted me.

Was that someone hacking?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tears In A Vial posted:

just played a pub game where someone called a meeting and then everyone instantly voted me out, at the exact same second. the chat opened and every single person but me instantly voted me.

Was that someone hacking?

Could be a bunch of friends on voicechat who didn't want you in the game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Just another sad example of infighting among the left, smh

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Red Oktober posted:

Could be a bunch of friends on voicechat who didn't want you in the game.

They should be running private games in that case.

I got kicked out for entering a public game that was apparently people playing Tag and no one gave the memo at the start. Its pretty rude.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I've definitely seen vote hijack hacking. They really need the most basic anticheat in this game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This is why you should only play either with friends or through a Discord group

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Kazy posted:

I've definitely seen vote hijack hacking. They really need the most basic anticheat in this game.

They added some sort of anticheat recently.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've been playing tons the past week with kids I work with. Every evening we've had a group of 8 or so and just had a blast for an hour or two. Because some of them are a bit younger (ages 9 to 17) the standard rules are a bit too difficult, both because some just don't get the tactical side of things and because they just can't keep quiet when you're not supposed to talk.

Instead we've been playing hide and seek: lowest vision for the imposter but highest for the crewmates, lowest kill cooldown, only a couple of short tasks. One imposter who has to announce they're it and give the others a bit of a head start to scatter, sabotages comms which can't be fixed and everyone is allowed to talk and scream whenever. No reporting or calling a meeting.

Just absolute chaos and fun as the imposter runs around to kill the crewmates before they've been able to finish their tasks.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Kazy posted:

Saw that today, and also someone announcing I was the imposter when I hadn't done poo poo because "I cheats man". At least people were annoyed in both cases and asked for the guy to be kicked. It's not a big stakes game, but at least people tend to want to play it right.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Have the developers announced what features they'll be bringing to the game?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have the developers announced what features they'll be bringing to the game?

there's been a public beta running for a few weeks which includes anonymous voting, options to change when the progress bar updates (for example maybe you want it to update only after meetings), and shapes on the wires task for colour blind people. I think that's it for now though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Tears In A Vial posted:

there's been a public beta running for a few weeks which includes anonymous voting, options to change when the progress bar updates (for example maybe you want it to update only after meetings), and shapes on the wires task for colour blind people. I think that's it for now though.

Friends lists! Jfc friends lists!

I'd like an option to hit 'friend' on people's names, and if they friend me back it shows how many friends are in a random game.

Also some sort of auto join function for pub games, so you mash in what variables you want and it'll auto join you to the fullest game that meets the criteria (or the room that has the most people on your friends list). It'd make casual gaming a lot easier.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Outrail posted:

I'd like an option to hit 'friend' on people's names, and if they friend me back it shows how many friends are in a random game.

this would be great. I've played three games today, and in all of them someone just shouted "IT'S PINK, VOTE PINK" straight away and everyone just votes. No chat at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tears In A Vial posted:

watched some of the AOC stream, it was good. McElroy's were streaming at the same time.

https://twitter.com/McElroyFamily/status/1316742373120987136?s=20

jesus the quality of the video and audio for this is not good.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tears In A Vial posted:

this would be great. I've played three games today, and in all of them someone just shouted "IT'S PINK, VOTE PINK" straight away and everyone just votes. No chat at all.

quote:

Me: Pink sus
Pink: How? What’s your proof?
Me: This is among us not a court of law.

*Pink was ejected*

Works every time

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Public games can work if you can fall into a game that's got 3-4 friends looking to have a couple extra bodies and stick with it. That does takes a bit of effort and time and still leaves running into idiots, though I usually take the chance to relentlessly mock them.

That said you're posting here, go play with goons. I only expose myself to pubbies cause I'm too much of a misanthrope.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Outrail posted:

Also some sort of auto join function for pub games, so you mash in what variables you want and it'll auto join you to the fullest game that meets the criteria (or the room that has the most people on your friends list). It'd make casual gaming a lot easier.

They have also said they're working on a new map, but I doubt that will be delivered any time soon.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
They need a Mac version so I can play on my work machine

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

just had a game where one player hacked another players chat and was submitting text for him? So brown was accusing cyan and himself at the same time?

Brown: It was cyan i saw him do it
Brown: It was me I killed and self reported
Brown: Wtf
Brown: Who's hacking my text?
Brown: Vote me out I killed him
Brown: Vote me out I killed him
Brown: Cyan how are you doing that?

was pretty weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Yeah I saw a game with text hacking too

Looks like they're doing system maintenance tonight to beef up their anticheat, as well as an account system coming in November.

Also:

https://twitter.com/vr_jar/status/1319336846258786304