Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

Watched the “Evil Admiral Terry O’Quinn” episode of TNG, and as it turns out from reading Memory Beta articles, after he was court-martialed out of Starfleet for the USS Pegasus incident, Section 31 immediately recruited him to do more similar evil poo poo dealing with phase cloaking devices.

There are all these EU things about Section 31, usually involving Bashir, but I always thought the most consistent way with Bashir's character that they might follow up would be if he became the Federation's Edward Snowden. Except ideally with the Federation and Starfleet reacting a bit better than we did.

Like, he's never going to willingly join them or work for them, but I could see him working hard to blow it all wide open.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
If you don't like the dumbass ways Section 31 has been used on the shows post-DS9, I'd advise you stay away from the novels, where 31 basically runs the Federation. Like, at one point, they're straight up forcing the President to resign and then secretly murdering him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

If you don't like the dumbass ways Section 31 has been used on the shows post-DS9, I'd advise you stay away from the novels, where 31 basically runs the Federation. Like, at one point, they're straight up forcing the President to resign and then secretly murdering him.

Ah, so it really is the space CIA

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

That clip reminds me of something... every now and again we hear the klingons switch from speaking in english to their native language for impact... but I thought everyone had universal translators so wouldn't every bit of spoken klingon be automatically translated into english for everyone in star fleet? (this isn't a real nerd nitpick, just strange to think about)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Astroman posted:

Somebody find her nowadays so we can get her hot takes on DISCO. :allears:

Also, I too am not a confirmed "Trekie".

She’s definitely dead, she has a very strong entitled old person vibe

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

G-III posted:

That clip reminds me of something... every now and again we hear the klingons switch from speaking in english to their native language for impact... but I thought everyone had universal translators so wouldn't every bit of spoken klingon be automatically translated into english for everyone in star fleet? (this isn't a real nerd nitpick, just strange to think about)
It makes absolutely no sense and is best not worth thinking about.

I liked how Discovery established how the translator " really" works, then at a point just switched to us hearing the Klingons in English.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anonymouse Mook posted:

IIRC, the novelization had them intending for it to burn up in the atmosphere, but Saavik changed the targeting to a soft landing. Can't recall the exact reason, but it may have been so he could rest on the world he helped create? Whatever, she was emotional--half Romulan and all that.

Actually, she changed it so that it intersected with the last remnants of the genesis wave with the idea that it would atomize his body and incorporate it into the world.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

G-III posted:

Like the doors that only open when someone is actually ready to leave a room, Universal Translators are equipped with finely-tuned Narrative Compensators to ensure that they don't disrupt the Dramatium field that is the real reason that the Federation has been so successful.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The doors things mostly isn't a problem. With present day learning algorithms we could probably get a computer to figure out if someone is or isn't about to want a door to be open with decent accuracy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Senor Tron posted:

The doors things mostly isn't a problem. With present day learning algorithms we could probably get a computer to figure out if someone is or isn't about to want a door to be open with decent accuracy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcfp_t-Fco

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Senor Tron posted:

Not sure they'd program that kind of thing into a dominion prison :v:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHkeQ58_pQ

Maybe these things were secretly more dangerous than the exploding consoles

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My favourite thing about Star Trek’s longevity as a franchise is that it means we have fifty years worth of outtakes of actors walking into doors.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Actually, she changed it so that it intersected with the last remnants of the genesis wave with the idea that it would atomize his body and incorporate it into the world.

Oh I like that. I wish they said that in III

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Like the doors that only open when someone is actually ready to leave a room, Universal Translators are equipped with finely-tuned Narrative Compensators to ensure that they don't disrupt the Dramatium field that is the real reason that the Federation has been so successful.
I believe engines are also equipped with the Compensators for speed and functionality. Really sucks when you're aboard a vessel who's destruction would be poignant.

Thinking about it, watching foreign dubbed Star Trek - where the lips don't match the speech - would be more 'realistic' in a way.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I want to start reading the book A Stitch In Time because I really like Garak even though I’ve only seen him in one episode so far. Is there any reason not to do that? Are there any huge DS9 spoilers I should be wary about?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Unmature posted:

I want to start reading the book A Stitch In Time because I really like Garak even though I’ve only seen him in one episode so far. Is there any reason not to do that? Are there any huge DS9 spoilers I should be wary about?
I would read it after you have finished watching the series

There are things mentioned in there about his background that you wouldn't know yet

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would read it after you have finished watching the series

There are things mentioned in there about his background that you wouldn't know yet

I’ll hold off by starting Spock’s World or Ishmael. Wait do I have to watch every episode of Here Come the Brides first

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They need to reprint A Stitch in Time and they need to do it in a classy hardcover edition this time.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Unmature posted:

I’ll hold off by starting Spock’s World or Ishmael. Wait do I have to watch every episode of Here Come the Brides first

I have a soft spot for Spock's World, and it's one that I've not often seen discussed when talking about Trek books.

That and Probe.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Unmature posted:

I'm not very far into the book myself, but it does definitely make offhand remarks about incidents and political landscapes you won't have any clue about.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I remember really liking Yesterday’s Son when I was a kid. It’s a sequel to the episode where Spock is trapped in a prehistoric time with some woman and starts to revert to pre-Surak behavior.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bull3964 posted:

Frakes is just a bit too old for that now I think.

Not in an animated series he isn't.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntMdtzG5a8

Data fuckin' KILLING IT.

Joe Piscopo taught him well.

The best part of it is that Picard and Riker both obviously know he's doing some weird robot-wants-to-be-human thing and just let him go for it instead of stopping him.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

G-III posted:

The universal translator is a technology that among other things is shown as being able to reproduce psionic/emphatic powers. More specifically, it is able to dechiper context to a supernatural degree. It seems able to, at least in part, deduce the intent of speakers so it is not a stretch to think that it knows when you want to express yourself in your mother tongue and simply let's that go through. The Klingons is the only species rude enough to make use of this functionality often, although one could argue it stems from a genuine belief that something gets lost in the translation (Shakespeare is best in the original Klingon etc).

That said, humans do this too. Picard sings in French (to the children he gets trapped with in the elevator with).

Alternatively, I guess the translator could be deciding itself that the cultural context of the phrase is such that it should not be translated, or the crews have an incredible surreptitious way of turning the translator on and off.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 18, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also the universal translator doesn't know french. It's only universal.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Broadcast on all known frequencies and in all known languages... including welsh.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Unmature posted:

I've not read it but the character ends up being in a lot of episodes throughout the whole series, so I can only assume a book about him would play off those in some way.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Having read the book summary - I would not read it until you are done with the show. Part of what makes Garek such a good character is how his history is very gradually revealed, which is partly an artefact of Robinson going from occasional guest to show regular but used very effectively by the storytellers.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It would completely spoil almost everything about the end of the show. Don't read it unless you've seen all of DS9 or don't care about spoilers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Also the universal translator doesn't know french.
"Crazy gibberish!"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kntMdtzG5a8

Data fuckin' KILLING IT.

Joe Piscopo taught him well.

Brent Spiner is such a talent. He blends so well in to the Data character that you don't notice how well he has to be acting to do it, and then he hits you with a comedy bit and nails it.

His impressions of Stewart at conventions are pretty great too. The man can't be overlooked.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Strong Convections posted:

Broadcast on all known frequencies and in all known languages... including welsh.

WELSHYYYYY!

Arglebargle IV
Oct 5, 2020
Brent Spiner is weird in that sometimes he's so good and sometimes he's so bad it's hard to watch. Data was really the role of a lifetime I guess.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Arglebargle IV posted:

Brent Spiner is weird in that sometimes he's so good and sometimes he's so bad it's hard to watch. Data was really the role of a lifetime I guess.

I feel like between the show and the movies he completely forgot how to play Data. Even when he’s not using the ‘motions chip and just being himself it seems totally wrong

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every time I see Spiner as "himself" I think he's creepy as gently caress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

MikeJF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwODwwgE6rA

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Every time I see Spiner as "himself" I think he's creepy as gently caress.

You should maybe check out his web series Fresh Hell then. It really leans in to this perception and Spiner plays a great Larry David-esque miserable self-destructive rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Here's the roles I've seen Brent Spiner play:

Data
Bob Wheeler
Patrick Stewart