Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Augus posted:

those are abilities that you get for beating the divine beasts that you have limited uses of and then they recharge over time. The red glow is a barrier that saves you from taking a hit and the lightning is an attack summoned by triple-charging your weapon.

okay, i haven't beaten the desert waifu or mountain himbo dungeons yet. i'm still flipping out over that some weapons have unique charge abilities, so i'm curious what else i've managed to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The phrase mountain himbo just makes me think of Link to be quite honest

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
in his climbing suit he counts but i think he's not beefcakey enough to qualify as a himbo? in City Queer I think he'd qualify as a Twunk but since I am but a shy Country Queer i cannot grok their outre conlang.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hear me out, what about for BotW2....jacked Link

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Forgive me if I am being dumb but isn’t a himbo just a male bimbo? Link seems like a pretty young dumbass and I feel like that fits the bill frankly

Perhaps the shrine of resurrection should be the shrine of bimbofication instead

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing sucks worse in BOTW than farming falling stars. This is the one item they hosed up. I’m following the guide where you talk to the guy who tells you the phase of the moon and you sleep over and over till it’s a full moon. Then you warp to the top of the dueling peaks, make a fire, and sleep till night. You awake a 9PM and face Hateno village, wait and pray. The Star will spawn (90% of the time) between 9:30PM and 3AM. When it spawns, you can typically warp to Hateno tower and glide to it. Usually. There’s not much water around but if it lands in the little that’s there you’re hosed. Occasionally it will fall on the side of a cliff and when you get near “it spawns” and rolls down into water. If it lands a top a mountain, sometimes it just clips into the world when you get near.

If you do all the right, you can farm one every 3-4 minutes. A giant pain in the loving rear end...

For me the pickup would be inside the world geometry more than half the time.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cartoon Man posted:

Nothing sucks worse in BOTW than farming falling stars. This is the one item they hosed up. I’m following the guide where you talk to the guy who tells you the phase of the moon and you sleep over and over till it’s a full moon. Then you warp to the top of the dueling peaks, make a fire, and sleep till night. You awake a 9PM and face Hateno village, wait and pray. The Star will spawn (90% of the time) between 9:30PM and 3AM. When it spawns, you can typically warp to Hateno tower and glide to it. Usually. There’s not much water around but if it lands in the little that’s there you’re hosed. Occasionally it will fall on the side of a cliff and when you get near “it spawns” and rolls down into water. If it lands a top a mountain, sometimes it just clips into the world when you get near.

If you do all the right, you can farm one every 3-4 minutes. A giant pain in the loving rear end...

Neither the moon phase, nor the direction are important for generating Falling Stars. If you spend a significant amount of time viewing the the night sky between 9PM and 3AM, a star will probably fall into your field of view (Dueling remains a great place to look for them, because you can pick a direction with a lot of land, so you won't lose it in the water).

Edit: Also, if you're not likely to make it to a Fallen Star before 4AM, drop a bundle of wood, make a fire, and Rest Until Night. If Daylight doesn't happen, the Fallen Star doesn't disappear.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/bBsr92N.mp4
My dumb death of the day. Sometimes life comes at you fastTM

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
loving incredible

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Smol posted:

Managed to play Majora’s Mask a bit. This feels more like an adventure game than a regular Zelda in my experience. I’ve only played BoTW and OoT before though, so I can’t say how unique it really is.

Mostly I’ve been exploring the city so far. I tried to go to the swamp, but didn’t figure out how to progress there. I’m guessing I might need bottle filled with something to heal the witch, but I haven’t found a bottle yet.

Currently I’m trying to solve the mystery of Anju and whatshisname. I got to talk to the masked dude after the postman deliver the letter. I also saw the conversation between the Curiosity shop dude and the guy trying to sell the stolen goods, but that didn’t seem to lead to anything.

I’m thinking I need to stop the mugging of the old lady to progress, but I’ll have to try that out during the next cycle.

This is beautiful to read, I will try and resist screaming out hints.
If you do really get stuck though, then you have to buy the prima guide to complete the mm experience.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

:lol:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I played a little more MM this morning.

Managed to finish the Anju and Kafei quest (at least for now, it feels like it might continue at another place) and got some refreshing milk as a reward! Yay!

I found a Keaton at the North gate, but didn’t answer his questions correctly. I’ll have to retry that at another time.

I continued exploring the swamp and finally managed to enter the temple. Honestly, I find the exact order you must do things a bit confusing sometimes. For example, here you needed to go back to the other witch after finding her sister. I didn’t do that on the first time I visited the swamp, so she didn’t give me the potion. Another confusing example was getting Epona in OoT. There you had to talk with Ingo during the ride, not before or after. It took me several visits to the farm to figure that out.

Anyhow, just found the bow at the temple, so quite good progress for this morning, I’d say!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I’ll write a games journalism article about how Age of Calamity is going to screw us out of BOTW2 having dating simulator mechanics.

Aw nuts someone already beat me to it.

https://gamerant.com/zelda-breath-wild-2-link-relationships-hyrule-warriors/

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Cartoon Man posted:

I think I’ll write a games journalism article about how Age of Calamity is going to screw us out of BOTW2 having dating simulator mechanics.

quote:

Some fans were hopeful that Breath of the Wild 2 might surprise everyone by introducing a relationship building and dating system to the game

Lmfao.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Cartoon Man posted:

But BotW already has relationship building? You literally build a town and help a couple fall in love and get married.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Thread Vote: Which Pin Should Link Go Towards Green Yellow Or Blue

Green.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Green

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Green sus

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I actually think it’s a cool mechanic to see it fall from the sky and glow off in the distance. I’m also willing to put up with weird shenanigans when it spawns and rolls into water or glitches out. My only problem with the item is that it’s needed to upgrade all the good gear and you’ll need like 15-20 of these bitches. It should’ve only been one or two stars needed the entire game to upgrade a piece of gear or two. Such a pain in the rear end...

I don't remember needing anywhere near that many. Are they used for dlc stuff or something? It's been a while but I thought I only needed like 5 to get all my commonly used armor upgraded. I definitely never farmed 15 of them anyway.

Also, I got a couple of my star fragments from killing silver lynels, so that is an option if you hate tracking down falling stars.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think you need fifteen Star Fragments without the Amiibo sets, and about seventy with them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Holy poo poo :laugh:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Love reading these Majora's Mask updates. Seems like you're figuring out that "progress" in this game is more of an expanding spiral than a straight line. I can't really think of any other game that tells its stories like this. I'm jealous that you get to go through it for the first time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Hygiene posted:

Perfection

https://twitter.com/drsexhands/status/1317614778043441152?s=21

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

lmao

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm playing a new game again and it's really a fun combo of wonder and frustration. I am really just wandering after I got the camera from the Tech Lab. I've killed my first Hynox and eventually went to the jungle and found myself very frustrated that I can't scale the Sheika Tower there.

Man this game is still beautiful.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm playing a new game again and it's really a fun combo of wonder and frustration. I am really just wandering after I got the camera from the Tech Lab. I've killed my first Hynox and eventually went to the jungle and found myself very frustrated that I can't scale the Sheika Tower there.

Man this game is still beautiful.

If you wanna spoil it, you can scale that tower by uncovering the air vents around the base of the tower using magnesis or stasis. Then ride the updrafts with your paraglider.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Cartoon Man posted:

If you wanna spoil it, you can scale that tower by uncovering the air vents around the base of the tower using magnesis or stasis. Then ride the updrafts with your paraglider.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I had forgotten all about those. Thanks!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This BotW run is a ton of fun so far. This is the first time I've started the playthrough with the mindset that (a) deaths are just gonna happen, rush into everything; and (b) the food/elixir system so massively outweighs the health bar that focusing on gaining hearts early on is almost a trap option. I've been having fun ignoring the plot, just finding shrines and throwing everything into stamina. The main downside is that modest test of strength shrines are basically at my skill limit with three hearts, so most of the battle shrines are just "turn around and leave" for now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Zelda Megathread: deaths are just gonna happen, rush into everything

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I will say that my favorite and most successful place for falling star hunting is going to the taller of the dueling peaks (the south one) and looking out over central hyrule, it usually lands fairly close to one of the shrines in my experience.

Also I'm horrifically outvoted but I'm fond of Blue

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Golux posted:

I will say that my favorite and most successful place for falling star hunting is going to the taller of the dueling peaks (the south one) and looking out over central hyrule, it usually lands fairly close to one of the shrines in my experience.

Also I'm horrifically outvoted but I'm fond of Blue

Agreeing on both counts

blue

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Vote blue in real life and in Hyrule.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have now completed making my Hylian gear black as is my standard, I have activated the tower near the durian patch so I can get those every blood moon, I killed the Lynel on Shatterback Mountain and have saved Mipha's spirit. A good couple days of a new game.

I'm now up to 5 hearts and an extra portion of stamina wheel. I haven't done many shrines yet.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
For what it's worth, the Blood Moon doesn't control plant regrowth, but they occur far enough apart in playtime that they can be a useful reminder for when the random regrot chance has had enough rerolls that you can effectively restock.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The honeymoon period is over for Genshin Impact and the gacha banner events are about to begin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/10/18/genshin-impacts-first-new-hero-is-about-to-go-live/amp/

The new character will be highly sought after, require in game currency to “pull the gacha” (gamble for), and have extremely low drop rates. The game has been very successful so far, but this is what the developers have been waiting for. How this unfolds will determine the game’s longevity. They’ll need to strike a balance between keeping the whales happy and offering enough incentive to steal a buck or two from the commoners. Make the new unit too easy to acquire and the whales leave. I still have never downloaded it and don’t plan to do so, but I’ll watch from the sidelines. Curious if anybody else in here still plays and whether you’re considering visiting the cash store to win the new character.

The fact that the new character looks like an anime loli is a whole nother issue...

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 19, 2020

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

maltesh posted:

For what it's worth, the Blood Moon doesn't control plant regrowth, but they occur far enough apart in playtime that they can be a useful reminder for when the random regrot chance has had enough rerolls that you can effectively restock.

They're tied to the game's cache. Blood moons are a way for the game to reset the world state and clear the clutter out, so if you want them to happen more often (can get them down to like every third day), just keep the game running and suspend your Switch when you play, and over time they'll start happening more and more often.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah in 2 days of playing the new game I've had 2 blood moons. Of course I'm travelling around a lot and suspending the game instead of closing it etc.

Edit: the 2nd blood moon happened after I killed the Shatterback lynel- I glided directly to meet up with Sidon and jumped into the bed at the dock to sleep so I could heal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cartoon Man posted:

The honeymoon period is over for Genshin Impact and the gacha banner events are about to begin.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/10/18/genshin-impacts-first-new-hero-is-about-to-go-live/amp/

The new character will be highly sought after, require in game currency to “pull the gacha” (gamble for), and have extremely low drop rates. The game has been very successful so far, but this is what the developers have been waiting for. How this unfolds will determine the game’s longevity. They’ll need to strike a balance between keeping the whales happy and offering enough incentive to steal a buck or two from the commoners. Make the new unit too easy to acquire and the whales leave. I still have never downloaded it and don’t plan to do so, but I’ll watch from the sidelines. Curious if anybody else in here still plays and whether you’re considering visiting the cash store to win the new character.

The fact that the new character looks like an anime loli is a whole nother issue...

I heard all the buzz about this game before I saw it in action and I cannot BELIEVE that this game is getting all the praise lavished on to it. It really doesn’t look or seem that impressive unless you view through the lens of “this is pretty good for a free game”

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I heard all the buzz about this game before I saw it in action and I cannot BELIEVE that this game is getting all the praise lavished on to it. It really doesn’t look or seem that impressive unless you view through the lens of “this is pretty good for a free game”

The element juggling combat is actually legit fun and good and way above your standard “free game” poo poo you usually run to. That + the game’s general fun overworld and exploring and yeah it’s fun little side game punching above its weight by just copying BOTW. The gacha can be completely ignored and the game’s content can be (and has been) entirely completed with the free characters the game provides.

Last i checked they were planning on halving the pity timer from 90 to like 40 so even if you don’t spend a penny on the game you should end up with a decent roster of characters. Just doing the daily poo poo and running dungeons gets you a couple of rolls a day and that’s after you burn through all the poo poo you get from just completing the main story and side quests.

My main grievance with the game is that it has no controller support on mobile yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s really important to stress “the gacha can be completely ignored” is actually just “I am personally not affected by the gacha mechanics” because some people, due to psychological or environmental factors, literally CANNOT ignore the Gacha.