Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The fisher tiger flashback really impressed me, because using the fishmen as an allegory for racism could have gone much worse and I think Oda actually did a good job with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I feel like the only person who didn't care much for the Noland flashback

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

I feel like the only person who didn't care much for the Noland flashback

It kinda hit hard in the anime but that’s partly because Uunan And The Stone Storage Room played at the end of it, which is cheating because that poo poo is the sad music version of You Say Run.

https://youtu.be/G77OKKTTmX4

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loving loved my man Norland, and I cried when I read the final moments of the flashback; Calgara and his tribe thrust into an unfamiliar and hostile (physically and emotionally) environment, with no way to get home, attacked by invaders, desperately fighting to protect him homeland so he'd be ready to welcome back his friend, and Norland, eager to reunite with his best bud, only to find everything gone, and coming to a (true) realization that was rejected and used to malign his reputation, Norland's actual crew trying to vindicate him but being shouted down by imposters planted by the royal family.

Luffy ringing that loving bell, helped by Wiper (who himself was determined to realize Calgara's greatest wish), so that Norland's ancestor could finally find peace with himself and move on, was so loving emotional.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bleck posted:

this is probably the fifth or sixth time I've said this in this thread but it's baffling how many people post in the One Piece thread who, apparently, don't like One Piece

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

i loving love one piece

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the more i think about this chapter the more i like it

"dead men give no orders" is an explicitly better translation for big moms line, too, because it makes what the scabbards are doing that much more emotional. they're not "following oden's order to open wano" - especially as the flashback implies, THEY are the ones that want to be his number 1 retainer, it's their own will to do so, they don't need oden to say kill kaido, because dead men give no orders, they're here of their own volition. it's beautiful

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah, this is definitely in the top 5 chapters about inherited will, which I think is probably one of, if not THE, most important theme in One Piece. Great stuff.

People talk poo poo about the early OP movies but all the anime’s best music comes from them

https://youtu.be/h3YnC9qEgcQ

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 17, 2020

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I didn't find the chapter too amazing, but the themes and story work a lot better for me when I devour it all in one go. Man reading Wano as a full arc is gonna be a loving treat.

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
one piece rules and also the soundtrack rules too yea

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

How many pieces of media have been going nonstop for 22 years and still has fans tuning in to the latest release and saying how much we love it

It truly is something special

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

RuBisCO posted:

i loving love one piece

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Strelok604 posted:

How many pieces of media have been going nonstop for 22 years and still has fans tuning in to the latest release and saying how much we love it

not only that but actively getting better over time in most regards

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EmmyOk posted:

I love the scabbards in this, so loving sick.

Does anyone think Marco was referencing Rox to Mom? When she talks about dead men not giving commands when she's talking to Marco about WB. He's like yeah you should now after all when you're a remnant of the Rox?

I thought it was an interesting contrast to Oden and the Scabbards, who are clearly the living will of their dead lord, while Marco and Big Mom are of the opinion that the dead don't get to influence the living anymore.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Grappler Baki has been going on for 29 years. :cool:

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I Am Fowl posted:

I thought it was an interesting contrast to Oden and the Scabbards, who are clearly the living will of their dead lord, while Marco and Big Mom are of the opinion that the dead don't get to influence the living anymore.

Well Big Mom surely thinks that, but I think Marco holds that allowing the remnants of Whitebeard's former crew to go their own way is them carrying out pops' will, because Whitebeard wouldn't want his kids to be tied down after he's gone

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

I Am Fowl posted:

i actually think the opposite with the scabbards is being implied. kaido is confused about being hurt because the scabbards don't carry oden's will, even making a point to flash back to when oden trained the scabbards and them not listening. i think they're following their own will and that's why they're strong enough to actually hit kaido, even if they're not as strong as oden.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

People talk poo poo about the early OP movies but all the anime’s best music comes from them

https://youtu.be/h3YnC9qEgcQ

Tbf the best themes in Hunter x Hunter came from the movies which I haven’t bothered watching but by all accounts are trash (the new bad guy has a special version of nen that works off negative emotion! Because that’s not already how nen works!) if it’s the same composer for both it’s not hard to believe they’d have made a good fitting track even without the movie.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tbp posted:

the more i think about this chapter the more i like it

"dead men give no orders" is an explicitly better translation for big moms line, too, because it makes what the scabbards are doing that much more emotional. they're not "following oden's order to open wano" - especially as the flashback implies, THEY are the ones that want to be his number 1 retainer, it's their own will to do so, they don't need oden to say kill kaido, because dead men give no orders, they're here of their own volition. it's beautiful

It's very good, yes.

euphemism posted:

i actually think the opposite with the scabbards is being implied. kaido is confused about being hurt because the scabbards don't carry oden's will, even making a point to flash back to when oden trained the scabbards and them not listening. i think they're following their own will and that's why they're strong enough to actually hit kaido, even if they're not as strong as oden.

I think, considering what we know of Oden, this is actually the truest expression of inheriting his will. He wanted his country to be open and free. They're not bound by orders, this is the manifestation of their own freedom and the strength of their convictions.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah because you post this every time anyone has even the mildest critique of a tiny part of the story.

edit: seriously, you're reposting it this time because one or two people said "I liked this, but it didn't hit me as hard as another part that I loved"

Libra fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 18, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Libra posted:

Yeah because you post this every time anyone has even the mildest critique of a tiny part of the story.

seriously it's loving absurd that having any kind of problem with aspect of one piece means "you hate it"

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if it was up to Bleck this thread would be ran like a dictatorship. instead, make me IK and i'll also run it as a dictatorship but Bleck will be in jail.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

People are so mad that the Scabbards are actually managing to hurt Kaido. I can't imagine what it's like being so broke-brained that you can't enjoy one of the most emotional moments in the series because it messes up your list of the top ten strongest characters in One Piece.

Tbf this is exactly what's going through Kaido's head right now...

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah after the "I acknowledge you" moment he's going to shift to his in between form, which we notably have not yet seen and is the strongest form a typical Zoan user can take. Or it was until awakening, at least. Could be that instead.

I feel like this is going to be the catalyst for the kabuki-esque tragedy as Kaido instantly wrecks the Red Scabbards in a silhouetted hybrid Zoan form, only for the full appearance to be revealed during the Luffy vs Kaido duel.

Guy A. Person posted:

I was just remarking about this to a few of my friends but it finally hit me this chapter watching Izo make some attacks that he is on the level of and possibly not eve the strongest of the Scabbards and we know that most of the fighting Straw Hats are more powerful than their leader. Like we obviously all knew that they had leveled up significantly over the time skip and Luffy beat Doflamingo but remembering how Luffy was totally outclassed in the Summit War and now someone who was a player in that arc is like, sidekick status to the Straw Hats is a crazy feeling

This is exactly why Jimbei joining the Strawhats pre-timeskip or even during Fishman Island would have felt way too OP or unbalanced as a former Shichibukai, but now feels appropriate and good.

EmmyOk posted:

That’s fair for sure! Totally agree on the text. This is what has me thinking of the subtext along with Marcos initial “are you sure you’re not mistaking on the meaning of remnants”

Given the ominous font shift, is this possibly a hint that the Rox crew members killed their captain in a power struggle? Rules of Piracy and all that...

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 18, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Libra posted:

:shrug: sorry for liking One Piece, I'll let everyone get back to talking about whether or not Kaido's power level is balanced enough competitively

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Liking One Piece doesn’t have anything with you bagging on people for the mildest criticism of it. Don’t use your enthusiasm to make excuses for yourself being a dweeb about anime.

Edit: vv Yeah, that’s 100% correct. It seems I am the dweeb today.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 18, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck's extremely mild ribbing is also honestly not anything to get bent out of shape over

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

i am tim! posted:

Liking One Piece doesn’t have anything with you bagging on people for the mildest criticism of it. Don’t use your enthusiasm to make excuses for yourself being a dweeb about anime.

I am sorry. please, tell me more about how you didn't like the birdcage,

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

gently caress can we just skip to the Pell Discourse?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Besides being a bit overlong of apart on an overlong ark, I’ve come around a lot on the Birdcage over all. I loved the island populace using Doffy’s super-special seastone factory to be able to push against it when nothing else really could.

Edit: The Anime nailed Pica. There, I said it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like the Birdcage conceptually as Doflamingo saying "IF I'M GOING DOWN I'M TAKING YOU AND THIS loving ISLAND WITH ME", very Enel energy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I just finished Dressrosa in my reread, and I decided that the Birdcage isn't so bad when you breeze through that part of the story in an hour or two. It's thematically appropriate and a really cool use of Doffy's powers.

Still probably sucks in the anime, though.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Like I can nitpick about the space between the strings in the manga but it’s not really distracting. The anime is much worse about it, and makes sure you have plenty of time to see with all the padding shots.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 18, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Given the ominous font shift, is this possibly a hint that the Rox crew members killed their captain in a power struggle? Rules of Piracy and all that...

Roger and Garp killed Rocks from what we were told.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Besides being a bit overlong of apart on an overlong ark, I’ve come around a lot on the Birdcage over all. I loved the island populace using Doffy’s super-special seastone factory to be able to push against it when nothing else really could.

Edit: The Anime nailed Pica. There, I said it.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that last part, the anime is halfassed but it’s halfassed as the product of a broken archaic release format that the creators are beholden to, it’s not just some moneymaker to them (them =/= Toei).

Speaking of the anime I started watching it on Netflix and guys, I have a super hot take for this thread: One Piece fuckin owns, I was basically about to cry at the end of the first episode when Luffy punches Alvida the heck out (that’s at least partially the depression but still).

Also I thought I remembered Zoro being dumb as poo poo being a gradual shift but it’s built right in:

“I’m super for real, so I’ll survive this ordeal that a lesser person couldn’t no problem”
“...umm, before you go can you feed me that rice ball ground into the dirt?”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know if this was linked but a bunch of trivia about the Emperors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/irjl3k/the_ace_novel_has_very_important_and_interesting/

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I like the Birdcage conceptually as Doflamingo saying "IF I'M GOING DOWN I'M TAKING YOU AND THIS loving ISLAND WITH ME", very Enel energy.

I wouldn't have minded birdcage if daffy just mentioned it was a failsafe and he'd planted the threads over the years instead of a move he could do with a snap of his fingers and all the insane heavy hitters being totally unable to stop it.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I also wonder if it will turn out "dead men give no orders" were something Rox said

cool!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

The Toku thread says hi.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xelkelvos posted:

The Toku thread says hi.

Well, those have several different series, so it's not quite the same as having one, ongoing story like One Piece does. Also only Super Sentai counts of the big three toku series anyways, Ultraman takes breaks and Kamen Rider has only been going non-stop for 20 years!

Jojo may be a better example, though I'm not sure if there were breaks between parts at some point.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There is always Berserk. But again, breaks.

edit: jesus, 31 years so far on that one. This month is the anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
The key to berserk is to forget about berserk for a couple of years at a time