Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The key to berserk is to forget about berserk for a couple of years at a time

Considering that I read all of Once Piece over a couple month period, I can feel that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, those have several different series, so it's not quite the same as having one, ongoing story like One Piece does. Also only Super Sentai counts of the big three toku series anyways, Ultraman takes breaks and Kamen Rider has only been going non-stop for 20 years!

Jojo may be a better example, though I'm not sure if there were breaks between parts at some point.

Nope, Jojo's has been going super big and weird now for 33 years straight.

e: The O.G. is probably Golgo 13, which is in year 52 of straight publication. Rock on you crazy bastard, that NES game was cool when I was a small child.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 18, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I was thinking maybe Sazae-San was longer, but the manga was from 1946-1974. On the other hand, the anime of it has been running nonstop since 1969

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

13- when WB defeats an enemy crew, if he finds them to be unworthy, he will take their treasure, sell their ships and just hand them over to a middle agent who will claim the bounty on their heads
picturing the WG begrudgingly paying out the bounties for someone they so totally know is working for an emperor is funny to me

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Doraemon is still running in some form.

rannum posted:

picturing the WG begrudgingly paying out the bounties for someone they so totally know is working for an emperor is funny to me
They would send Jozu in a fake mustache.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

The key to berserk is to forget about berserk for a couple of years at a time

Berserk itself does this.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

At least it's not HxH

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

At least now we know that anytime someone says Big Mom is the weakest emperor, we can point directly to this and say Kaido and Big Mom are on the same level.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Are those Ace novels canon?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raspberry Bang posted:

Are those Ace novels canon?

I'm pretty sure they are, yes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Those reveals are some dope poo poo.

Neat that Big Mom was the actual first Emperor.

Also glad to see my man Shiki getting some recognition.

EDIT: Really wonder what happened to mainline Shiki (since the movie is a parallel universe). He did get out, but he hasn't done anything in the story since. Is he still plotting? Did he give up on his plans? Did he get taken out by someone else?

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

does that mean that boichi oneshot was canon too?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Strelok604 posted:

does that mean that boichi oneshot was canon too?

That oneshot was an adaptation of part of that book, so I assume as much.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Absolutely fascinating stuff! Loved the extra canon lore! :D

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Shanks Crew probably didn'tt like to go see WB because WB was from Rogers time and treated them like kids. Trying to give them candy and money etc.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is that little shanks? I remember you when you had this many arms *produces two lollipops*

😡

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna be honest, I feel like none of the Shanks Pirates has enough shame to turn down free candy, let alone money. They probably only hosed up Kid because he started poo poo with one of their provinces full of innocent old ladies.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It says Shanks is ruthless but losing your arm is a hell of a lot better than having your crew massacred or receiving your grandmother’s head in a gift-wrapped box.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
If only Luffy was stretchy like rubber, but also sticky like gum.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ThingOne posted:

It says Shanks is ruthless but losing your arm is a hell of a lot better than having your crew massacred or receiving your grandmother’s head in a gift-wrapped box.

Shanks’ crew murdered every single one of the mountain bandits without hesitation

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Terror Sweat posted:

Shanks’ crew murdered every single one of the mountain bandits without hesitation

Where does it say they murdered them all? I just reread that scene and the only ones who died for sure are the guy Lucky Roo shot and Higuma. All the other bandits were beaten down by Beckman and that's the last we saw of them. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as what happened to Moria or that guy who didn't show up to one of Big Mom's tea parties.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 19, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'd really enjoy it if shiki shows up in the manga proper just doing the retired garp/sengoku thing but for pirates

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
You say if but I think it's only a matter of time, no way would he build up a character as being that central and involved in backstory to then relegate him to a half-canon movie.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The anime has many many faults, but in my quest through One Pace, I just hit Big Mom's big Disney musical number and its awesome and everyone should watch it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one pace rules, i just wish that they would work on it chronologically. i tried getting my friend into one piece but hes not really a manga person and the anime is riddled with filler arcs and a lot of pointless stuff that one pace is very good at editing around. unfortunately, as of right now it stops at baratie and then picks up again, then stalls out again from chopper through alabasta and skypeia and theyre doing water 7 right now. i get its a hobby and stuff, just seems odd to not work through the show in a way that makes sense to watch it in.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

ThingOne posted:

Where does it say they murdered them all? I just reread that scene and the only ones who died for sure are the guy Lucky Roo shot and Higuma. All the other bandits were beaten down by Beckman and that's the last we saw of them. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as what happened to Moria or that guy who didn't show up to one of Big Mom's tea parties.

They're dead and shanks sicced that beast on higuma. Shanks' crew is ruthless and takes no prisoners. There's a reason the village is at peace for the next few years

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Paper Lion posted:

one pace rules, i just wish that they would work on it chronologically. i tried getting my friend into one piece but hes not really a manga person and the anime is riddled with filler arcs and a lot of pointless stuff that one pace is very good at editing around. unfortunately, as of right now it stops at baratie and then picks up again, then stalls out again from chopper through alabasta and skypeia and theyre doing water 7 right now. i get its a hobby and stuff, just seems odd to not work through the show in a way that makes sense to watch it in.

This is the exact same reason I'm not watching One Pace yet. Once they knock out the earlier arcs they haven't done yet then I'll watch it.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Paper Lion posted:

i think they prioritized some of the worst offenders in terms of pacing/filler in the arcs when the project started. i was able to watch from the beginning through WCI and it was pretty good, the few times needing to dip into the main anime was generally fine. alabasta and drum were probably the worst offenders that are still left. skypiea and water 7 are pretty alright from the anime. while i agree that it would be good if they finished the earlier arcs, they have been keeping up with the modern anime and that is admirable on its own.

probably gonna be a long while till those early arcs get done. if you wait until its done i don't blame you because flipping back and forth was some :effort: - maybe one piece kai will exist before then

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doing the earlier arcs should honestly be their last priority though? Iirc the filler is generally pretty segregated from the canon until, like, Ennies Lobby/Water 7 so you can just use one of the guides to avoid it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThingOne posted:

Also Kidd is a huge rear end in a top hat anyway. Stopping at an arm is very merciful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

You say if but I think it's only a matter of time, no way would he build up a character as being that central and involved in backstory to then relegate him to a half-canon movie.

HAS he been built-up in the mainline manga at all? I don't really recall him being mentioned - if he has, I certainly wouldn't say he's been "built up" - certainly not in a way that someone like Rox has.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

HAS he been built-up in the mainline manga at all? I don't really recall him being mentioned - if he has, I certainly wouldn't say he's been "built up" - certainly not in a way that someone like Rox has.

I feel like I remember him being a pretty significant part of that movie tie in chapter but not much else tbh.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

He got a mention pretimeskip at one point in Impel Down and in the chapter where the yonko bounties got revealed they directly namedropped Shiki as a former member of the Rox pirates. I don't think Oda really plans on having him enter the mainline manga at this point, but he's still a neat part of the worldbuilding.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There was a theory that the dude Corcus was talking to in one of the chapter pages was Shiki, but it was never proven. Shiki had long hair and wore a similar cloak thing in the movie, and in the official colored version, the colors of the hair (blonde) and the cloak (yellow/orange) match as well. On the other hand, Shiki had a massive steering wheel embedded into his head, and probs wouldn't be able to rock a hat in his condition.

The other prevailing theory is that its Corcus's old bud Calico Yorki (Brook's original Captain) who somehow survived the deadly disease, cause Oda never showed him actually dying, just on his death's bed. Plus, this series was showing people close to the Straw Hats, and while Yorki is close to Brook, Shiki is not really a friend (and also they never met Shiki in the mainline universe).

As Julias said, Shiki was mentioned during the Impel Down Arc as the first dude - and only before Luffy and co. came about - to ever escape from the place. I think the mention came around the time the movie was coming out or announced? We also had a tie-in chapter that showed a bit of his escape (cut off his feet and replaced them with his swords) as well as his history with Roger and his capture at the hands of Garp and Sengoku.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

As far as I'm aware, while the events of the film Strong World aren't canon, the promotional Chapter 0 is. Also, my interpretation of the Ace novels is that while they are officially credited to other authors, I feel like they likely wouldn't push this kind of thing out if they hadn't run a lot of it by, or even developed it with, Oda himself. So, for me, having him be A) important enough to have been specified to have escaped Impel Down, and then B) later confirmed to have been a part of the Rocks pirates in a context that implies that he was a super-heavyweight of the pirating world, and C) for Chapter 0 to have at one point been a personal rival to Roger himself, and then D) the Ace novels confirming that he was essentially one of the original Yonko... I mean, that all seems pretty significant.

And yeah, I mean, that's probably Shiki in that one cover art. No way would they just accidentally design that character to have the same hair and coat as Shiki, same colour scheme and everything, for it to be some random nobody. Like come on!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Laboon looks really excited so I always figured it had to be Brook’s Captain.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Any translations of those novels around? I'd love to read them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Viz licensed them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I haven't watched the movies, and I have no idea who Shiki is, for some reason I keep thinking that's the name of the smoking shopkeeper who hangs out with Rayleigh on Sabaody until someone starts gushing about how he's this super important figure who has apparently been built up a lot. I don't think Shiki has really been mentioned in the manga much at all that I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I haven't watched the movies, and I have no idea who Shiki is, for some reason I keep thinking that's the name of the smoking shopkeeper who hangs out with Rayleigh on Sabaody until someone starts gushing about how he's this super important figure who has apparently been built up a lot. I don't think Shiki has really been mentioned in the manga much at all that I can remember.

From what I can remember, he's been mentioned a grand total of two times in the mainline manga (not counting the special chapter released for the movie which was drawn by Oda and shows you stuff from the Silver Age of Piracy).

1. First dude to escape from Impel Down
2. A major pirate from the past who used to be a member of the Rox Pirates

His rivalry with Roger isn't really brought up in the mainline manga.

I don't think he's really majorly brought up, he appeared in a grand total of 1 movie and 1 special manga chapter. And maybe a few anime episodes building up to the movie.

Dude sorta suffers from the main character buff and power creep of One Piece; he was literally on the same footing as Whitebeard and Roger, but he gets beaten by pre-timeskip Luffy. Sure, dude had no feet and also destroyed the entire Straw Hat Crew when they fought the first (2?) times, but being beaten by pre-Haki pre-Gear 4 Haki???? Dude got power creep punished even harder than Croc.