Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never seen someone try so hard to torpedo their own thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

haveblue posted:

*emails the last five pages to the mods*

Thread redeemed.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I’m all for the ability to send voice chat along with a report to Sony, like I don’t play any competitive games so I’m always shocked by how insanely abusive and awful people are whenever they hear a woman speak, or something. I’m surprised there hasn’t been anything done about this until now.

But idk, I think constant surveillance is an inevitable and necessary phase in human development.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 18, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There sort of has been, most games in the last few years have had voice chat off by default and made it opt in to hear. Its a toxic swamp and turns out you really don't need it for 90% of players

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had a guy absolutely lose his loving mind because I took his declaration of “none of you f-words better get in that helicopter” in a GTA online mission as an obvious challenge to get in the helicopter, by waiting for him to get in then dragging him out and taking off before he could get up again.

Anything that upsets people like that whilst also removing them from the community is a net positive.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I had a guy absolutely lose his loving mind because I took his declaration of “none of you f-words better get in that helicopter” in a GTA online mission as an obvious challenge to get in the helicopter, by waiting for him to get in then dragging him out and taking off before he could get up again.

Anything that upsets people like that whilst also removing them from the community is a net positive.

This was always my favourite battlefield player. You gently caress off in their tank or whatever and they sit in spawn screaming or mashing all caps waiting for the vehicle to die so they can take it lmao.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Policenaut posted:

I don't play multiplayer games with goons because every single time I've joined a community on PS4 with goons for some online PS4 game invariably with "Goon" in the title the community itself is dead as hell and no one plays or talks. So thanks I'll just play DBD or Squadrons or whatever with the rest of the PSN like a normal person.

Communities suck for this purpose.

Join the Playstation goon discord. At least we'll set up subchannels for different games and it's easier to find out if people are up for playing. Plus there's a literal ping system!

I had a gran turismo sport goon discord that regularly met up for weekly races for 2.5 years so it can be done.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

JBP posted:

This was always my favourite battlefield player. You gently caress off in their tank or whatever and they sit in spawn screaming or mashing all caps waiting for the vehicle to die so they can take it lmao.

I miss when Battlefield was good. C4ing tanks was my favorite thing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this thread is good, actually.

beanpole, dont worry, the age of the sony playstation 5 is almost here. cerny is gonna fix voice chat. kaz is gonna come back and make cerny put full playstation 1-3 bc in the next firmware patch.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 18, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

either it's a black dualsense or a fake black dualsense

The dev kits went out with black prototypes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Overwatch and League of Legends are games that I actually really enjoyed playing but the team chat was unbearable and that was the last time I ever played games with voice. Gaming is supposed to be fun getting yelled at by strangers and cold slurs and fun.

I also kind of agree with Imhotep, I think that in 2020 we all kind of live in a society and there’s no way everything you do and say isn’t already being documented and recorded.

If SONY is gonna take infinity tetrabytes of audio data from its consumers in some nefarious plot to sell us more crap or narc us out to the govt, they would have to have Batman Begins levels of information technology.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Man I used to love Battlefield 1942(??) online. That was some of my fave online ever. BF4 was good too but I only played it on my own. I hope they do crossplay next gen, my brother always plays them on PC

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I never use voice chat but it's been a trip over the years to hear other people's. parents yelling at their kids, people playing music that sounds great over the lovely bitrates, griping about griefers, etc.

like it's just extra entertainment while I'm playing. and then like every 100th time, someone will use it for something actually useful.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 18, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some of the best voice chat experiences I’ve had were in Destiny 2 PC discord. You would be hard pressed to find a chiller group of gamers, IMO, but the flip side is that when some goon actually totally sucks, or they say mad CHUD poo poo or Nazi poo poo, it really stands out.

We also had a couple of really amazing infamous rage quits during a few raids, so I understand voice chat has value in some games.

I just don’t think it does 99.9% of the time.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Friday the 13th was probably my favorite multiplayer game experience this generation. Over one great summer I put like 400 hours into it and a huge part of that was the open mic voice chat mechanics built into the game, where survivors could communicate in-person or over long distances (but not across the entire map) with radios. It was fun as hell when you got lobbies of people wanting to work together and have fun, or try to diffuse situations when so-and-so got the boat propeller and wants to finish the boat but you know you saw Jason in the water and have to convince them not to because if the boat gets out there and he dies then no one's escaping on that boat anymore. I used to laugh for eons playing as Jason and teleporting to the biggest house at the start of every round and going "HEY GUYS I GOT THE CAR BATTERY COME ON OUT!" and when someone opens the door I'd throw a knife into them and hear a ton of players inside confusedly shouting. I have fond memories of using barely remembered Spanish learned 15 years ago to communicate to someone that I had the fuse for the phone and if they just came with me to watch my back I could call the cops.

It's a scrappy survival game where everyone had to work together so some of them could survive, and if everyone was just secluded in their own party chats then it was a goddamn miserable experience because PantyDropa1987 had the Gas but welp they died in the rear end-end of nowhere and because they weren't using a radio on in-game chat no one outside of that party knows where they dropped the gas. There were always a few bad apples but I just muted those people and moved on with my life, I probably would have appreciated the ability to report people calling me the n-word when I got a perfect round as Jason.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I dont think I've ever played online with voice chat. The last online game I played regularly was Day of Defeat

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The pubbie chat death mic in Modern Warfare is a joy, you get to hear a couple seconds of someone's mic when you kill them. Great for hearing children whine that you "lasered" them with a pathetic scatter of automatic fire that barely managed to land enough hits to kill while they were faced away from you. Also useful for keeping up with the latest gamer words.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Hearing a full family is one of the more jarring voice chat experiences. Wonder how much the controller and headset mics for next-gen will pick up.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to be in a community

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
one more month... until the grand return...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

where'd you get these Elden Ring screens???

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

where'd you get these Elden Ring screens???

at the end of the leaked trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1loTCYjmRrw

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Man I used to love Battlefield 1942(??) online. That was some of my fave online ever. BF4 was good too but I only played it on my own. I hope they do crossplay next gen, my brother always plays them on PC

PC/Console cross play would be a hellish experience, surely? Controller players wouldn't stand a chance against m+kb.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

PC/Console cross play would be a hellish experience, surely? Controller players wouldn't stand a chance against m+kb.

I'd take the option any day. It's fine in Warzone :shrug:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I'd take the option any day. It's fine in Warzone :shrug:

I guess so. I play Fortnite, and I think that does PC + console matchmaking now I think about it, and I can still regularly get to the final couple of people there. So maybe it's less of an issue than I imagined.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CottonWolf posted:

I guess so. I play Fortnite, and I think that does PC + console matchmaking now I think about it, and I can still regularly get to the final couple of people there. So maybe it's less of an issue than I imagined.

For all the talk about whether controller or M/KB is superior, easily 90% of the outcome is more about whether or not the player is a dumbass, so it evens out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I also think the divide was more noticeable before people spent 20 years playing FPS games competitively with controllers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CottonWolf posted:

Its nbd they always have matching options yo choose based on platform and i put method anyway

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Never seen someone try so hard to torpedo their own thread

it's not my thread :3:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

so the world might be mended

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Decided to load up demon's souls, released in 2009 on the sony playstation 3, and i was surprised how easy it was to connect to the private server. Had a save deep into a ng+ and died and then started a new game and im one shoting things in the tutorial area.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

haveblue posted:

*emails the last five pages to the mods*

:hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pretty sparkles!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is a whole two numbers away now but the other day I bought a few PS3 games on a whim, including Tales of Xillia and Asura’s Wrath. I guess those are two more games that will forever be locked on the PS3?

Man, I sure would’ve liked it if they hadn’t decided to go all weird with the PS3’s architecture, or I could be playing those games in 4K and 60fps.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Asura's Wrath is on Xbox 360, too. It's just a big mess wrt cloud gaming/retro replays because the DLC has the actual ending to the game if I remember correctly. And all kinds of other stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Deep Down come out on PlayStation 5?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

Asura's Wrath is on Xbox 360, too. It's just a big mess wrt cloud gaming/retro replays because the DLC has the actual ending to the game if I remember correctly. And all kinds of other stuff.
Oh it does, which one? There’s like six DLC’s and I can’t really tell what their deal is.

I’ve only started playing the game and is a ridiculous spectacle like I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ufarn posted:

Asura's wrath also runs on xbox one (and series x) via bc too! So it'll live on for quite a while.