Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I have never understood the whole burn the insects method.

Y'all are wasting so much insect meat and chitin. That's chemfuel and cash right there, shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

After a while you get so many insects because you're so rich that it isn't worth the effort, you just want them to go away.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

How much insect meat and jelly per bionic limb I need to shell out for as a result of melee engagement with purpose-designed combat monsters?

Of course once your blockers are chromed up, they last quite a bit longer, and the fights are resolved a bit more quickly too!

(Deffo cracking up at the drop commandos who smashed into a woodshed with incendiary weapons)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I have found that the focus spell from Royalty makes your melee guys into absolute monsters - and, importantly, gives them a bigger dodge chance too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

OwlFancier posted:

After a while you get so many insects because you're so rich that it isn't worth the effort, you just want them to go away.

LonsomeSon posted:

How much insect meat and jelly per bionic limb I need to shell out for as a result of melee engagement with purpose-designed combat monsters?

Of course once your blockers are chromed up, they last quite a bit longer, and the fights are resolved a bit more quickly too!

(Deffo cracking up at the drop commandos who smashed into a woodshed with incendiary weapons)

My last couple engagements with 40+ hives ended in maybe 5 minutes and I had zero serious injuries. If you chokepoint and have enough bullets flying in its pretty tough for the buggos to get enough shots in. That being said there were like 10+ pawns other than the blockers pouring rapid fire rounds in.

*Does not apply to vanilla expanded buggos because those can be rough.

I guess to be fair I do/did need a large amount of fuel since I am on a -80 to -145 degree map and insect meat basically kept my heaters going in addition to being food.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 17, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Berserk Pulse also works on bugs, so it's useful to have a chokepoint with a slightly larger hallway to give your psycasters plenty of targets. Vertigo Pulse works too but obviously making bugs puke for awhile isn't as good as getting them to kill each other

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Fighting bugs isn't really interesting, its a basic check on "Do you know how to game the system" so they spawn specifically where you want and know how to set up defences that only really work against them.

You can make enough money selling drugs/statues/animal by products/long pig by products that losing bug meat and jelly is a minor loss.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Not played since royalty was released, saw they balanced some things. Have they added more psychic abilities or anything? Can I make someone's head explode yet?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Not played since royalty was released, saw they balanced some things. Have they added more psychic abilities or anything? Can I make someone's head explode yet?

They added a ton of new and very useful psychic abilities, including one that lets you teleport groups of people on the world map so long as you have an ally at the destination. There are a bunch of psycasts that are useful outside of combat, like being able to stop mental breaks and massively reducing prisoner recruitment resistance

Nothing that just blows up 1 person's head but neuroquake will turn everyone on the map outside of a small radius around the caster into a berserker

They also added jetpacks, and a version of recon armor that has a jetpack built into it

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Since I'm in a cold biome the standard devilstrand duster uniform doesn't really work for most of the year. Should I be putting everyone in devilstrand parkas or is there a more optimal outfit?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

With the Vanilla Expanded Cooking series, you can turn insect jelly into insect preserves, which sells nicely and can also be used in a gourmet meal for an additional +6 24hr moodlet. Great to shove into gourmet desserts as a, “eat this when sad” item.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

Since I'm in a cold biome the standard devilstrand duster uniform doesn't really work for most of the year. Should I be putting everyone in devilstrand parkas or is there a more optimal outfit?

How cold does your area get? Devilstrand duster/t-shirt/pants/tuque should get you down to -30 celsius tolerance. If you've got mods that add stuff you can probably get better coverage/temp but that should be ok unless you're on an ice sheet.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Det_no posted:

What's the best combination of pawn AI mods? There's Common Sense, Pick up and Haul, Jobs of Opportunity etc but which ones are recommended?

Anyone know?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pick up and Haul in large colonies can make a load of lag, so be careful.

There are various food selection mods to check out as well as.... uh.... I forget the name of the one that makes your doctors not rescue and run off to go drink a beer while patients are bleeding out.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I have a similar mod request.

I want a mod that lets my pawns keep melee weapons equipped when out of combat (mainly because I want them to get the passive bonus from psylinked melee weapons with traits) but then automatically switch to ranged weapons when in combat/hunting. Simple Sidearms allows for some of that but its weapon auto-switching settings only let you tweak what pawns switch to when attacked AFAICT. Anyone know how I can accomplish this with mods or maybe a setting in Simple Sidearms that I'm overlooking?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Just got royalty and got my first refugee quest. It says there is a chance of them joining me, or I can capture them. How likely is it that they will join after a few days?

If not, how do I capture them? I don't see any arrest options for them. I needed to draft a pawn before I could try to arrest someone.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 17, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Whether they join or wander off the map once they're reasonably healthy depends on a dice roll weighted by their mood and relationships. The only way to be sure of recruiting someone is to imprison them ~

You need a closed room with a sleeping spot in it which is set to Prisoners. The option is called Capture, when you select a pawn and right-click on the downed pawn. You can send this command without a valid prison and will get an error notification that you need a prison

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Just got royalty and got my first refugee quest. It says there is a chance of them joining me, or I can capture them. How likely is it that they will join after a few days?

If not, how do I capture them? I don't see any arrest options for them. I needed to draft a pawn before I could try to arrest someone.
If refugees do decide to join, they won't do it until fairly late in the time they're refuging. However, betrayal can happen, and if it happens, even the refugees who claimed they joined you will start attacking you. Worse, they'll be starting fires and attaching your animals.

I think refugees are enough fun that I just make sure they don't have arms, clothe them, and hope they either join (fairly uncommon) or leave and drop off valuable presents later (reasonably common). Oh, and I never take refugee squads that outnumber me.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Moon Slayer posted:

You can use muffalo wool button-down shirts and pants, those only provide a very marginal armor benefit anyway.

Jackets provide better cold insulation than dusters (and also sharp armor!) but don't cover the legs

Thrumbofur dusters are better sharp / and much better cold insulation than devilstrand, but don't provide as much heat protection

Quality on the dusters will help a good amount too

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 17, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I feel like if you're mass-producing thrumbofur dusters, you've probably already won.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think refugees are enough fun that I just make sure they don't have arms, clothe them, and hope they either join (fairly uncommon) or leave and drop off valuable presents later (reasonably common). Oh, and I never take refugee squads that outnumber me.

Im pretty sure you meant making sure yhey dont have weapons, but this IS rimworld.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I had a group of them to turn traitor, except they turned right in the middle of a prayer service to cthulhu and a number of my colonists had tamed daedons following them.

The revolt was brief.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

They added a ton of new and very useful psychic abilities, including one that lets you teleport groups of people on the world map so long as you have an ally at the destination. There are a bunch of psycasts that are useful outside of combat, like being able to stop mental breaks and massively reducing prisoner recruitment resistance

Nothing that just blows up 1 person's head but neuroquake will turn everyone on the map outside of a small radius around the caster into a berserker

They also added jetpacks, and a version of recon armor that has a jetpack built into it

Oh that sounds awesome. I saw they added a way to get powers without bowing to/pissing off the empire with that weird tree, that looks pretty cool. May have to fire things up and start a new game. Means sorting my mod list though.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Thrasophius posted:

Oh that sounds awesome. I saw they added a way to get powers without bowing to/pissing off the empire with that weird tree, that looks pretty cool. May have to fire things up and start a new game. Means sorting my mod list though.

Word of warning, growing anima grass is slow as balls and you probably need multiple people regularly trudging over to the tree if you want to upgrade your psyker in any reasonable time frame. It's still worth it because it means you can have psychic powers while keeping your wealth low, but like anything else with tribals it takes a lot of work time.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The huge build limitation irritates me, so i used one mod to decrease it by half or so. I used one that made it no limitation but that was a bit much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would rather it worked like an offset, so you will lose power by building near it (or in line of sight of it, perhaps) but you can gain it back by building or growing things near it.

I get the idea it's going for but I would rather it offered a reason to build something new rather than discouraged building altogether, in this colony building game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, if it had to be wooden structures or if nearby artificial structures could be offset with nature shrines and decorative plants - or even number and type of different plants - there could be some interesting building opportunities.

On a frozen map or super hot map you can find, enclose, and nurture the Anima Tree in some sort of way, that’d be excellent. Same with protecting it from toxic fallout or growing through eclipses.

I’ve now got this vision of the mystic anima tree enclosed in a greenhouse surrounded by exotic plants and shrines with anima grass trying to snake up the walls. The tribals allowed peace and ability to meditate at their tree, nurtured and protected by the technology of the outlanders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is to force you to have it outside the settlement so that you have to go out to use it, but like, I just don't think that's as interesting as encouraging it to be the centerpoint of the settlement and encourage different building styles around it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Why is it that every time I get to about the midgame, around the time I'd be getting drop pods and the like, I get the urge to start a new colony? I don't think I've ever gotten one to the space age.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Moon Slayer posted:

Why is it that every time I get to about the midgame, around the time I'd be getting drop pods and the like, I get the urge to start a new colony? I don't think I've ever gotten one to the space age.

After midgame you no longer need to worry about literally anything except raiders, who you are basically forced to deal with with a bland killbox of some sort.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Moon Slayer posted:

Probably because rimworld plays like a strategy game but doesn't have a clear failure-state so when tech/industrial progression slows to a crawl due to resource and/or labor bottleneck it sorta feels like you've made some kind of mistake but there isn't an obvious way to fix it so you're stuck endlessly second-guessing where your strategy went wrong.

Progress slows down because the game isn't actually meant to be played that way, it is more management sim than RTS. It's gonna feel like you're just treadmilling along for years with little tangible evidence of progress, if all you're focusing on is trying to build the next bigger gun or whatev. Might help if you occasionally take time to stop and smell the absurdity?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternate answer: Make more caravans. I found myself always stalling out at about midgame, too, right up until I realized that I actually did have something I could do while my colony stayed mostly stable, and that's go trading/raiding/looting.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

silentsnack posted:

Probably because rimworld plays like a strategy game but doesn't have a clear failure-state so when tech/industrial progression slows to a crawl due to resource and/or labor bottleneck it sorta feels like you've made some kind of mistake but there isn't an obvious way to fix it so you're stuck endlessly second-guessing where your strategy went wrong.

Progress slows down because the game isn't actually meant to be played that way, it is more management sim than RTS. It's gonna feel like you're just treadmilling along for years with little tangible evidence of progress, if all you're focusing on is trying to build the next bigger gun or whatev. Might help if you occasionally take time to stop and smell the absurdity?

Holy poo poo, thank you for putting this into words because I think it's exactly what's happening. It's always one little thing that annoys me enough to start again. This time it's the fact that I ran out of marble on my map so all my walls and sculptures aren't as pretty as they could be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I play it like a little model town builder so that doesn't bother me so much, because the map constraints are what give you incentive to build interestingly.

I usually stop once I fill out a lot of the map but I think if you can keep thinking of fun things to build it helps keep an interest. It's also why I like mods like rimatomics/feller that add big industrial chains, because you build areas to house them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you for putting this into words because I think it's exactly what's happening. It's always one little thing that annoys me enough to start again. This time it's the fact that I ran out of marble on my map so all my walls and sculptures aren't as pretty as they could be.

You can slap down a deep drill on a bare (as in no resource) patch of ground and get rock chunks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimatomics is helpful for adding midgame and late-game objectives, a nuclear reactor serves as sort of a central component of my base that I want to significantly protect and eventually nuking factions is a good way to end a saved game

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also the quarry mod can get you chunks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Word of warning, growing anima grass is slow as balls and you probably need multiple people regularly trudging over to the tree if you want to upgrade your psyker in any reasonable time frame. It's still worth it because it means you can have psychic powers while keeping your wealth low, but like anything else with tribals it takes a lot of work time.

The neat thing is that Empire psycaster growth tends to slow down over time, since you're limited by not only opportunities to generate royal favor but also the requirements of your nobles. Whereas Nature psycaster growth tends to speed up over time, since each additional psycaster increases the rate that you grow anima grass, and any level 6 psycasters no longer need grass and simply contribute to grass growth.

So at the start of the game, it's much faster to create a low-level noble, but by mid-game the situation flips. 3 nobles competing for royal favor and impressive bedrooms creates a bottleneck, but 3 people all with nature focus just means that anima grass is growing that much faster.

An anima tree with a bunch of anima stones around it also grows grass faster than a tree by itself, in addition to improving meditation focus to a high degree, whereas a really impressive throne room only improves focus. This is by far the fastest way to get a bunch of level 6 psycasters, but is limited by your ability to find and recruit people with the Nature meditation focus.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

Sculptures can be made out of silver. That’s usually where I go once I’ve got loads of silver, skill 10+ artists, and needs for marble to make pretty walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really want to like the expanded vanilla mods, but they just add so much extra stuff that only add such minor bonuses.

The food mod just adds so much ... stuff and its all just so finicky.

I do love the fishing mod though. Being able to supply meat just as a simple job is fantastic.

E: But I keep thinking making fancy cheese or high quality whiskey may be a fun money maker change away from the constant hard drugs.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 19, 2020