Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Taima posted:

So what's the most effective thermal paste solution for cooling something like a 5950x via an air cooler (a chromax black)?

I see all of this poo poo about liquid metal but it's hard to tell if it actually matters... or maybe there's something better that I'm missing? I am so lost.

I just use arctic Mx-4 for everything. It might be worse by one or two degrees but it’s pretty cheap for a decent sized tube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Taima posted:

So what's the most effective thermal paste solution for cooling something like a 5950x via an air cooler (a chromax black)?

I see all of this poo poo about liquid metal but it's hard to tell if it actually matters... or maybe there's something better that I'm missing? I am so lost.

I have been really impressed with cryonaut. I got a small tube for like $10, seems fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Griz...032604386&psc=1

Load temps dropped 7-10C but that also includes a new case and washing off the radiator. Its also vs stock AIO paste and I did a thinner application then stock. The old case had 3 intake 140mm fans so its probably not just the new case.

I didn't like what liquid metal did to peoples copper AIOs after a year. These things actually last a long time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Got a question about the ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4. Normally I plug in my headphones from the front with a 3.5mm AUX cable, but I recently moved the tower to the floor, and now the AUX cable tends to get caught on my chair or chewed up by my cat. I want to plug in my headphones from the back, but I tried plugging in a 3.5 AUX cable to the green port, and the sound is all weird and underwater sounding, plus the cable doesn't completely fit like it does on the front.

What's going on here? Should I be using a different kind of cable? Are they not the same kind of port? What options do I have if I want normal audio out from the back instead of the front? If it helps, I'm using this tower, and normally use the audio out on the front which is wired up to the motherboard.

Or should I maybe not have my tower on the floor at all?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You just need to jam it in a bit harder. The sound issues are from it not making a proper connection.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Are they not the same kind of port?

The front audio port is electrically different from the back ports and is the one you should use with headphones.

This page on the higher end 1200 vs 1220 talks about it a bit. The motherboard manufacturer can screw it up though, but it sounds like you were using the headphone port. https://www.igorslab.de/en/realtek-alc1200-demystifies-what-different-the-beginner-soundchip-is-really-different-from-the-larger-alc1220/

quote:

By the way, now you know why I always tell you to connect the headset to the front panel of such boards, but in general, the three (headphone) amplifiers for the output always work separately from the I/O shield and the front header for the HD car, with port D always being the front connector. Well, it should be. But I already had boards in my hands where exactly this was wrongly wired on the ALC1220 and Port-D was incomprehensibly unused.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

o

Well, I guess in that case, I'm a little hosed. Maybe I'll put it back up after all and reassess if I ever get another desk with a bit more space.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Pollyanna posted:

o

Well, I guess in that case, I'm a little hosed. Maybe I'll put it back up after all and reassess if I ever get another desk with a bit more space.

You could buy an extension cable pretty cheap and probably find a way to route it from the front port to the rear if you wanted.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Your board doesn't have either such codecs, it'll work fine from the back port; I've got the b350 version with the same codec. If you were after audiophile-grade sound you'd have an external solution anyways.

It's analog audio, the only thing that could be different is amplification levels which would be apparent very quickly, and no motherboard is going to have beefy enough amps to damage a pair of headphones, especially not at lower settings.

Edit like a million: the igor quote is talking specifically about the ALC1220 codec, and the thing there is it outputs a higher voltage to the front connector to better drive high impedance headphones.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 18, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
:eyepop:

https://twitter.com/davidgburns/status/1314651989234667525/photo/1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VorpalFish posted:

You could buy an extension cable pretty cheap and probably find a way to route it from the front port to the rear if you wanted.

Yeah, that's probably my best bet. Right-angle-to-straight >10ft AUX cord. I can do that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

That looks incredibly wrong for Intel's top single core chip to be the one they're sticking in new Dell XPS laptops with a 28w TDP? Surely a desktop i9 or whatever would have way higher single core?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

That looks incredibly wrong for Intel's top single core chip to be the one they're sticking in new Dell XPS laptops with a 28w TDP? Surely a desktop i9 or whatever would have way higher single core?

It's because the 11th Gen desktop chips won't be out until 2021.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's a desktop i9 in the list, isn't there?

People aren't kidding when they say Intel is more concerned with mobile / server

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

People aren't kidding when they say Intel is more concerned with mobile / server

There is, but it's also 10th gen. Won't know about the 11th until closer to their release.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Spiderdrake posted:

They would probably be releasing 10nm desktop stuff and mobile CPUs with more than four cores if their yields were better, that's been a big issue with 10nm.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Oh I see it now, the mobile version of twitter.com completely covers up the bottom entry with "retweet/share" gibberish.

Well gently caress, that's real good for AMD, on the other hand if I'm going for best perf-watt then the i7-1185g7 might be competitive.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tiger lake took the IPC gains of ice lake but actually clocks decently because of 10nm process refinements, so it kind of makes sense that it could beat the 14+++ desktop chips in single threaded benchmarks, particularly if they're on the shorter side and spend longer relative time at the short duration power limit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Golden Cove has a good 18% IPC on Skylake (although it's slightly less than Ice Lake as the cache changes seem to have hurt a lot of tasks) and Tiger Lake will boost up to 4.8 GHz on a single core (and will actually hit and sustain its advertised spec for a little bit), so it actually does have a significant advantage in single-threaded performance. Plus if your workload uses AVX-512, Golden Cove has that while Skylake doesn't.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16084/intel-tiger-lake-review-deep-dive-core-11th-gen/8

of course these numbers are ST (across a test suite) and that's more affected by burst, and Renoir offers twice the cores... but the 4800U under test also violated its advertised TDP by 50% for unlimited durations of time, so it's effectively a 22.5W part. Looking at the MT numbers, and splitting the difference between the TGL-U 28W and 15W scores, a 21.5W TGL-U would be about 19.43 int and 27.36 fp, vs the 4800U at 26.78 and 27.11, so 73% of the int performance and 101% of the FP performance (the latter due to AVX-512) with 50% of the cores. On a per-core basis TGL-U is punching about 45% above its weight in MT int and 102% above its weight in FP when looking at performance-per-core compared to the 4800U (iso-ish power, during sustained boost). Of course that is giving Tiger Lake more power per core (4C vs 8C in a 1W smaller power budget), but that doesn't scale linearly at all either. Overall Tiger Lake isn't doing bad at all, it's clearly a big step above where Skylake was.

It's hard to overstate what a trainwreck being stuck on Skylake for so long has been for Intel. Even if they had been stuck on 14nm, if they had actually ported back some of these architectures sooner they would be in a massively better place. Sunny Cove at 4.8-5 GHz all-core (aka Rocket Lake) would have danced on Zen2 by margins probably similar to Coffee Lake vs Zen1+ if it had been out last year. But coming 5 months after Zen3 it's just not as impressive.

(and Rocket Lake doesn't include the cache changes, which in hindsight seems to have been a blessing, so while it is nominally "Golden Cove" it should have Ice Lake's slightly higher IPC)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 18, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Some Goon posted:

Your board doesn't have either such codecs, it'll work fine from the back port; I've got the b350 version with the same codec. If you were after audiophile-grade sound you'd have an external solution anyways.

It's analog audio, the only thing that could be different is amplification levels which would be apparent very quickly, and no motherboard is going to have beefy enough amps to damage a pair of headphones, especially not at lower settings.

Edit like a million: the igor quote is talking specifically about the ALC1220 codec, and the thing there is it outputs a higher voltage to the front connector to better drive high impedance headphones.

In general a "line out" does not have a headphone amp. Looking over the ALC886 datasheet it does appear however that "a" headphone amp can be configured on any of the flexible ports and no difference is called out between them. The reference design does however have a different circuit for the front panel audio connection but I wouldn't expect it to be as dramatically different in the ALC12xx codecs. It still is a different layout though so differences could absolutely be real.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Got a question about the ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4. Normally I plug in my headphones from the front with a 3.5mm AUX cable, but I recently moved the tower to the floor, and now the AUX cable tends to get caught on my chair or chewed up by my cat. I want to plug in my headphones from the back, but I tried plugging in a 3.5 AUX cable to the green port, and the sound is all weird and underwater sounding, plus the cable doesn't completely fit like it does on the front.

What's going on here? Should I be using a different kind of cable? Are they not the same kind of port? What options do I have if I want normal audio out from the back instead of the front? If it helps, I'm using this tower, and normally use the audio out on the front which is wired up to the motherboard.

Or should I maybe not have my tower on the floor at all?

It's possibly just a bad 3.5mm jack on the back - does the plug fit into other colors on the back panel okay, or do they all seem a different size than the front panel jack?

Have you checked the Realtek control panel to see what is assigning the back ports to? Aside from what others have mentioned, I've seen things like green being assigned to the center channel, or otherwise not just being straightforward stereo out. It could conceivably need to be set for headphones as output, too.

Following off the above, if for some reason the green 3.5mm port in back is bad but the others are okay, you should be able to re-assign the back ports and make them do what you want, like have the black port serve as line out and be set to headphones.

Note the above is assuming you're running Windows, and that the Realtek software you're using is similar to that I've used.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Excepting possibly some esoterica, the green jack should be able to power either speakers or headphones, it's a standard. Conventional wisdom (not that you should ever listen to conventional wisdom on audio, and this predates the ALC1220 codec) is to use the rear ports since lovely wires used for the front panel connectors are more likely to pick up interference within the case. Some headphones need a dedicated headphone amp since they're harder to drive than typical models, but those tautologically need more gain than most motherboards are capable of producing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

You really do just need to use a bit more force, mine was having the same issue. The jack's just a little too tight out of the factory. It'll sound fine once it's all the way in.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Some Goon posted:

Conventional wisdom (not that you should ever listen to conventional wisdom on audio, and this predates the ALC1220 codec) is to use the rear ports since lovely wires used for the front panel connectors are more likely to pick up interference within the case.
My case is from like 2011 and I had to switch to the rear jack after I noticed interference when connected to the front panel. And then I had to buy a resistance adapter as the rear jack on my MSI X470 was way too loud

I didn't originally notice interference and now I can't remember if it was switching headphones or an internal component that led to it

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

At that point I'd probably just buy a $5 USB audio adapter.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

That, or go wireless. I've been using Bluetooth headphones for so long that being tethered to the machine would be weird.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FuturePastNow posted:

Paying $5 to avoid realtek audio drivers is a worthy expense. Or, if you have high-quality headphones that are worth the expense, a mini USB DAC + integrated amp.

We should have a True Realtek Stories Thread because I ran into a doozy last weekend.

Zero VGS posted:

28W TDP is not terrible for a single thread, if the cooling solution is enough to keep up with it. A Ryzen or Comet Lake isn't going to use 90W running one thread, you just can't shove that much power through a single core. So much heat in that small area will kill the silicon no matter what your cooling solution is, because the limit starts being how fast it can conduct heat out of the die itself.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

I've found this device to be a nice medium cost compromise between 5 dollar crap that might actually sound bad, and 100 dollar nice, entry level audiophile.
https://www.amazon.com/XtremPro-X1-1-Performance-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B07P6SYQG9

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Might also consider apple's USB-C to 3.5-mm Headphone Jack Adapter. Not sure how it matches up to the XtremPro X1-1 but it is cheap and has worked fine for me on windows.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some Goon posted:

You just need to jam it in a bit harder. The sound issues are from it not making a proper connection.

It 100% does not fit the way it does up front.

I just tried it and it works now. I don't know what the gently caress, but whatever. I'm not wrong. You're wrong. Nyah :(

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 19, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

o

I think you should consider a set of PC speakers with a headphone jack built in, it would get your headphone jack up high where you want it with minimal special purpose components.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-5000u-cezanne-lucienne-mobile-series-specifications-leaked

they're not even segmenting them from top to bottom! it's alternating odds and evens!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-5000u-cezanne-lucienne-mobile-series-specifications-leaked

they're not even segmenting them from top to bottom! it's alternating odds and evens!

What are they doing, jfc

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

What are they doing, jfc

Lmao, did they put the marketing intern in charge of naming? Who the hell comes up with this poo poo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
why is there even a new (?) Zen2 chip being released alongside Zen3, like is it cheaper to make than Zen3 or something? Smaller die / older variant of the 7nm process making it a little cheaper perhaps?

or is Lucienne kind of like Zen+/RX 580 where it's the same masks (or a minor stepping change) on a newer variant of the process with slightly better tolerances or whatever?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Seriously, why isn’t just the same part numbers + m?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

gradenko_2000 posted:

it might make sense if multicore performance/gpu performance is decreasing consistently

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hobbesmaster posted:

What are they doing, jfc

I dunno, it kinda makes sense in a way. Zen 3's IPC performance gains are way bigger than it's clock gains, so this way the models will have much more consistent performance steps up and down the chart rather than the SMT disabling of the 4000s. This way the 5800U will show off unambiguously better performance than the 5700U.

I'd guess this is another profit-taking move and the Zen 2 parts will sell for about the same as the were when they had a 4000 label, while the 5600U & 5800U enter a new price tier up with intel's premium laptop stuff. As previously discussed ITT, OEMs do not want anything with an old model number when number+1 exists.

I mean it's also dumb as hell that they're retreading Renoir as a "new" processor, but that's marketing for you. I also wonder if the paper specs of a 5700U and 5800U will appear identical, such that the odds will eat into the profit of the evens.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

At some point they are going to put out a roadmap for naming conventions that just leads up to a box labeled "The Aristocrats!"

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

hobbesmaster posted:

What are they doing, jfc

Its very very simple, they can't keep up with demand and using all fab/reserves possible to fulfil orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
There hasn't been any news of Zen3 Epyc yet, right? A quick search turned up the usual wccftech speculation/rumours, but nothing that looked official or like a decent leak.