Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

thinking back to the xenosaga days where important characters were recast in each new installment, we really do have it good these days. but im still really sad to lose osbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I just learned what president rocksmith looks like and I know that's about what I should have expected but I'm also kind of disappointed that he didn't look like a punk rocker or something.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So who replaces them?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Cool, nothing like replacing your big antagonist's voice actor on what should be the last game in the arc.

Given the prevalence of home studios a lot of actors have (even if they are just a closet with some makeshift stuff used for sound proofing) it's weird they couldn't find a way to keep the cast.

One character isn't a huge loss, but more than that and it sticks out quite bit. Especially on the last game, of all things.

Iirc there’s a pretty sizable gap between when a game’s VO is being recorded and when the localization as a whole is completed so the pandemic might have just hit when it happened. That one Vanillaware game 13 Sentinels that came out a month ago had its English VO implemented in a day 1 patch because of those issues but that might be an unfair comparison since CS4 is a huge reunion game which runs more of a risk of VAs being able to do the whole home setup thing.

CS4 spoilers: im kinda concerned now since I’ve been keeping up with story spoilers and Olivier isn’t actually dead, right? And his VA and Laura’s are married so...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Last Celebration posted:

CS4 spoilers: im kinda concerned now since I’ve been keeping up with story spoilers and Olivier isn’t actually dead, right? And his VA and Laura’s are married so...
Matt Mercer is in if that's what you're asking.

But yeah this kinda sucks. Even worse that we had to find out through someone who happened to get the game 2 weeks early rather than through official channels.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

MythosDragon posted:

Apparently Osbourne and Mcburn too.

Is there a source for this? I saw some speculation but a full cast list from the credits would probably be definitive.

Edit: Just listened to that villains of CS4 trailer from a bit ago and McBurn definitely sounds the same. Osbourne less so, but it could easily just be a weird line read.

Edit 2: Also think I accidentally spoiled myself on a CS3 twist by doing this but I was pretty sure that the random professor that shows up in chapter 2 was gonna be a bad guy anyway because i've played other Trails games.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2020

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

MythosDragon posted:

Apparently Osbourne and Mcburn too.

Okay what the gently caress, one character is one thing but could they not at least mention that three of them had to be recast, and why?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Justin_Brett posted:

Okay what the gently caress, one character is one thing but could they not at least mention that three of them had to be recast, and why?

You can check out some of the voices they released a few months back here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMEYF88jAFA&t=8s

Mcburn definitely sounds the same to me, though granted its possible he had to be recast very recently or something I guess.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm hearing some scuttlebutt about Lechter and Leonidas too, though I'm not sure how reliable that all is.

But yeah I think this is what really annoys me here. This stuff happens and it's unfortunate, but sometimes it's all you can do without delaying a game into infinity. What's not okay is not communicating with the fanbase who, rightly so in my opinion, was pretty on edge about NISA's takeover of the localization...

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Yeah they should absofuckinglutely be out there confirming or denying this stuff. It's awful.

The game has apparently broken street date in the EU though I dunno if they have the english dub

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Yes, that's where that info is coming from.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just did the Rean/Bardias solo fight in my CS3 playthrough. I heavily abused those items that give you BP combined with Ebon Crest.

I feel bad because, after all this time, I finally missed an AP (and don't have any convenient saves to fix the mistake). I don't think it matters; from what I understand, you have some leeway for getting all possible AP rewards, and I think the trophy also doesn't care. Is there any benefit to getting literally every AP?

I have one gameplay question. Which does more damage - regular Rean's S-Craft at 200%, or awakened Rean's S-Craft at 100%?

Apraxin posted:

Sledgehammer can get you through most everything, but there's multiple boss fights where it isn't available. That was where I had the most trouble.

Even with Sledgehammer it often takes long enough to break a boss that they can get a few attacks in (which can be enough to cause you a lot of problems).

One thing I find is that, if possible, it's often a good idea to do some damage before you break them, because if you break them super early then your S-Crafts will often leave the boss low on health (but not dead) which results in them doing that self-heal/buff. They'll also often leave break state super fast if you break them at the wrong time (sometimes literally the next turn).

The best strategy, when possible, seems to be following breaking the boss with Kurt's Order, which can give you a lot of extra attacks.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think I forgot to turn in one quest missing out on like 3ap and I didn't receive the super accessory at the end.

Easiest strategy for the 1v1 fights is just to stack the evade on Rean and use insight with the counter damage master quartz and move close to Bardias and he'll mostly beat himself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

infraboy posted:

I think I forgot to turn in one quest missing out on like 3ap and I didn't receive the super accessory at the end.

Easiest strategy for the 1v1 fights is just to stack the evade on Rean and use insight with the counter damage master quartz and move close to Bardias and he'll mostly beat himself.

I've missed 2AP I think (the bonus from that "inspect the boats" quest), but from what I read you should still be able to get the max rank while missing like up to 10 AP.

The worst thing is that when I did that quest I was thinking "I'm pretty sure I remember there being more to this when I did it in the JP version" but the guide I was using wasn't clear.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My source is my friend who uses twitter, so grain of salt.

I'm gonna give Nisa the benefit of the doubt cuz they went out of their way to keep most of the battle grunt voices from sky that none of us would have complained about being changed. So choosing to change characters woth actual voice history would be super bizarre.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Ys Vs TitS hit 100% 2nd edit and Azure Geofront hit 20%.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think I clearly played CS1 the right way, although I feel like I made Rean a homewrecker.

fake edit: also I will never forgive my friend who got me to play on nightmare difficulty

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
In CS2 way too many npcs have been completely unfazed or non responsive to a talking cat.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So Sean Chiplock has been streaming CS1 and 2 and is planning on getting ready to stream CS4 on release. In the latest stream, Hatsuu actually got on and did an interview, starting here. Listen in if you want to hear about chest messages, the origins of the term "Ogre Mode", and Hatsuu raving about her favorite vtubers.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

PlushCow posted:

In CS2 way too many npcs have been completely unfazed or non responsive to a talking cat.

Zechs is the best cuz a certain Sir Zechs has experience being one such talking cat

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Cool, nothing like replacing your big antagonist's voice actor on what should be the last game in the arc.

Given the prevalence of home studios a lot of actors have (even if they are just a closet with some makeshift stuff used for sound proofing) it's weird they couldn't find a way to keep the cast.

One character isn't a huge loss, but more than that and it sticks out quite bit. Especially on the last game, of all things.

For a second I thought you were talking about Laura and I got mad for a second thinking this was unmarked spoilers, and then realized you were talking about Osborne instead.

Also some people are saying it's the same VA. I think people are just getting antsy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about Laura and I got mad for a second thinking this was unmarked spoilers, and then realized you were talking about Osborne instead.

Also some people are saying it's the same VA. I think people are just getting antsy

I would be down for...whatever it would take to see Laura turn heel. I don't necessarily think it would be good, but it would be fun to see in a trainwreck sort of way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"I'm not sure I like swords anymore," says Rean

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The S stands for Sith, her sword turns red

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
8 days to go!

In the meantime, here's Estelle singing Hoshi no Arika

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diiMrpQknc0

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Limited Edition being delayed is killing me and I'm genuinely eyeing the digital pre-order edition.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Shinjobi posted:

I would be down for...whatever it would take to see Laura turn heel. I don't necessarily think it would be good, but it would be fun to see in a trainwreck sort of way.

Mishy rises up as a counter force to the Grandmaster, and starts his own secret society of Mishelemites.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That would precipitate the Tio heel-turn.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tesseraction posted:

That would precipitate the Tio heel-turn.

We have determined the first two Anguis, then.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I haven't found compelling reasons to keep moving forward with Trails from Zero. Part of that is just I have to reboot into Windows every time I want to play it, but part of it is I'm just not in love with the SSS. They're all fine enough, I guess, but they don't feel as special to me as the Liberl crew did and I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my losses and move on. I really want to see how the Estelle/Joshua/Renne stuff turns out though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tesseraction posted:

The Limited Edition being delayed is killing me and I'm genuinely eyeing the digital pre-order edition.

True fans double dip, anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

I haven't found compelling reasons to keep moving forward with Trails from Zero. Part of that is just I have to reboot into Windows every time I want to play it, but part of it is I'm just not in love with the SSS. They're all fine enough, I guess, but they don't feel as special to me as the Liberl crew did and I'm starting to wonder if I should cut my losses and move on. I really want to see how the Estelle/Joshua/Renne stuff turns out though.

How far are you, and have you played the CS games?

Zero/Azure party is definitely better than CS one, but I can see someone not liking the absence of a dynamic like Estelle/Joshua. The SSS is better as a group than the Sky characters beyond the main duo, though (who don't really feel like a coherent group).

In terms of plot, Zero/Azure feel dramatically better paced; I think it's easy to forget how much content Sky had that wasn't the good parts.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

How far into it are you? I wasnt super into them at first but the first crossbell game is pretty slow like most first-in-a-series trails games. I really started to like the crew toward the last half of zero and adored them by Ao

edit: I feel like you get to know them all way better too since the main group stays the same all throughout the game.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 19, 2020

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

unimportantguy posted:

I basically felt the same, and while the SSS grew a bit on me by the end I still rate Zero well under any Sky game (even 3rd) and CS1 (haven’t played the rest). There are those who love Lloyd and team but you’re definitely not alone in finding them bland and underwritten.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

unimportantguy posted:

As I'm sure you probably realize, the end of Estelle/Renne's story takes place during Zero. So if you want to experience that through a game and not a youtube video or something, you're gonna need to finish Zero.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I think the SSS are just a slower burn than Liberal's Finest because for a while they're just coworkers.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Zero was pretty slow starting for me but looking at it in context of when it was first released in Japan it was introducing totally new characters and environment as opposed to people in America likely only playing them after having played the CS series. One of the unique things in Zero is that 95% of the game is using only the same 4 characters.

Lloyd is a pretty typical male protagonist, humble, self sacrificing, and trying to live up to his older brother.

The game really picked up for me when you rescue KeA

The story really picks up in Azure since the game doesn't have to spend multiple chapters introducing anyone particularly new. I didn't mind grinding through any slow parts because ultimately I thought the Crossbell story is excellent by the end, and it is significant by the time you get to CSIV and even more so in Hajimari.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not spending a whole lot of time with character re-introductions (since they're off on assignment temporarily) so that instead Azure can open up with Lloyd bonding with Wazy and thus make their integration into the SSS organic and seamless when the others return is maybe one of the smartest things a Trails game has done with party member dynamics IMO.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The video of Zero I saw was loving boring as poo poo, but the video of Azure was also boring as poo poo but monkey cheese whacky, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Already ordered it. I was gonna buy the costumes anyway so its only 15$ and backing my saves up is worth 10$ every so often.

unimportantguy posted:

The SSS is great and amazing, but Zero is like 70% the SSS alone by themselves, and Trails entire thing is having your team interact with the world and the hundreds of cool people in it, and you rarely every see them in Zero so the SSS just doesnt have as many sides to them as Sky Team and Class 7. I hear Azure buffs the cast immensely, both main group and getting to interact with others, so I say power through it and then wait for Azure.