Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schadenboner posted:

Why is streaming such a technological challenge? I see (for example) "PCs for streamers" as an entirely separate category on Logical Increments and I'm confused. Is uploading of video output really that much more computationally intensive than mere display of that output locally?

:confused:

Because we gave billions of dollars to the major telcos and network owners in the late 90s to beef up their infrastructure, they pocketed it and did nothing, and we didn't throw people in loving jail for a thousand years over it.

Now we have soda straw sized internet tubes and everybody's upload loving sucks so we have to burn a lot of electricity and use billions of transistors to optimize our video to fit in those tiny, tiny upload straws.

We could all be on symmetrical gigabit pipes for $29 a month today if we would have strung up like four telco execs in '99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MrMoo posted:

Real time video encoding with low latency is still a really expensive market with custom hardware ($10k+). The hope is with faster PCs you can avoid a lot of that and do it locally, however organisations like the MPAA are aghast at the thought. Usually the trade off is higher latency, like 30s used to be acceptable for streaming.

er what

it doesn't take $10k in hardware to encode video realtime with low latency. every smartphone today has a deece low latency encoder built in. so does every intel cpu which has an integrated gpu. so does every amd/nvidia gpu. encoders are everywhere and they're cheap

30s+ latency in streaming isn't a hardware limitation, it's an optional delay buffer which streamers can enable or disable

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

one of the reasons you hear "people used to put up with a streaming delay" is because twitch used to have a pretty significant and unpredictable one. but now, some of the newer streaming services have hardly any delay, and twitch's has gotten a lot better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. brand new channels have Low Latency Mode ticked by default (i created a 2nd account last week for a test/dry run stream cause im bout to get back on the air and want to polish things up without notifying followers i'm live) which indicates to me that it's basically out of beta and turning it off is now like a debug mode or w/e

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BobHoward posted:

er what

it doesn't take $10k in hardware to encode video realtime with low latency. every smartphone today has a deece low latency encoder built in. so does every intel cpu which has an integrated gpu. so does every amd/nvidia gpu. encoders are everywhere and they're cheap

30s+ latency in streaming isn't a hardware limitation, it's an optional delay buffer which streamers can enable or disable

Just use your phone lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i know apple wants to keep it an all-on-the-phone experience but if they exposed HDMI or NDI out the lightning port, i'd probably buy one of those fuckin quad-digit iphones 12 pro and just get a nice tripod mount for it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

i know apple wants to keep it an all-on-the-phone experience but if they exposed HDMI or NDI out the lightning port, i'd probably buy one of those fuckin quad-digit iphones 12 pro and just get a nice tripod mount for it.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh poo poo. looks like that will do actual realtime mirroring, too

ty. had no idea that existed

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LMFAO that’s $398.88

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Apple only has one trillion dollars and one of anything is just not that impressive

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Doc Block posted:

LMFAO that’s $398.88

jesus loving christ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm sure that's just like the minimum amount they can finance through their creditors. Nobody actually clicks that option.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

richest company in the world just forced to offer customers a lovely deal because their creditors just wont let them do better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nobody finances that. oh my god

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

good thing you clarified, almost looked like apple wasn't great and good there for a moment, but your eloquent defense have won me back over.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
if only there was a way to hide that option altogether

poor apple

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's stupid but nobody gives a poo poo because nobody is going to finance a $49 adapter for $398.88. if you can find one documented example anywhere on the internet of somebody doing so I will buy you plat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
did anyone actually click my link because the option is not there, that's the financing plan for a $399 iphone SE

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol if u click

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BobHoward posted:

Good luck plugging a HDMI cable into your iPhone, and it running all day encoding. I'm not saying it is needed, I'm saying it is there, even B&H have a lot of random expensive encoders from $2-20k. Also see special snowflake requirements like the BBC with their Dirac codec. The expensive device mentioned is specifically the piece of junk encoding my 720p Dow Jones Index graph and sending it to CBS and other stations from the NYSE floor.

30s used to be the GOP buffer on streaming garbage like RealVideo, but is definitely not uncommon with 720p era encoding hardware. 5-7s today is common for average latency, i.e. the 6s GOP of 180 max frames that even Amazon media encoding services support. Low latency from Twitch is 1-2s, but if you just run regular webRTC encoding you can get single frame latency with no problems (I run video walls like this).

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 18, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

did anyone actually click my link because the option is not there, that's the financing plan for a $399 iphone SE

I clicked the link and that’s what came up. maybe a bug on apple’s website (looks like it’s fixed now), but that’s what came up.

edit: wait, it did keep the uncropped version:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
here’s what it looks like when Apple isn’t trying to get me to sign up for the Apple Card

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jonny 290 posted:

there's a pay-for ndi app that's apparently not terrible

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Ive got a basic text renderer working for my asm game, next up is adding a crt effect and actually editing the code...

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

toiletbrush posted:

Ive got a basic text renderer working for my asm game, next up is adding a crt effect and actually editing the code...

this looks hella sick

make a yosposting app with it when you’re done with the game

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wrong color hth

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lutha Mahtin posted:

one of the reasons you hear "people used to put up with a streaming delay" is because twitch used to have a pretty significant and unpredictable one. but now, some of the newer streaming services have hardly any delay, and twitch's has gotten a lot better

to expand on this, early on (back when justin.tv was either on its way out or already dead), twitch used rtsp and flash to transfer video, giving delays of about 3~8 seconds on average.

as flash continued to get constantly poo poo on by the internet, twitch migrated to using hls. with hls came a huge increase in delay: upwards of 30 seconds. it was catastrophic when a lot of the fun of streaming is interacting with the person doing it.

eventually twitch tweaked and hosed with settings and encoding details and got it down to about 10~15 seconds of delay.

further changes and tweaks have gotten delay lower, often to about 2 seconds.

unfortunately this also came with a lot of other changes; keyframe intervals are now set to 2 and bitrate is generally supposed to be set to a constant value. this means you lose out on a lot of encoding benefits with vbr, so either you waste a ton of bandwidth on scenes that aren't changing much or your video turns into mud because you can't burst above 2000kbps when a bunch of action happens.

one of the old streaming alternative sites, hitbox, had low delay (in the age of 30s twitch) as their "big things". mixer also got delays down to a second or two, when twitch was around the 10s area. twitch has actually been historically terrible about stream delay but at least it's better, even if the rest of their site/product is dogshit.

Jonny 290 posted:

Because we gave billions of dollars to the major telcos and network owners in the late 90s to beef up their infrastructure, they pocketed it and did nothing, and we didn't throw people in loving jail for a thousand years over it.

Now we have soda straw sized internet tubes and everybody's upload loving sucks so we have to burn a lot of electricity and use billions of transistors to optimize our video to fit in those tiny, tiny upload straws.

We could all be on symmetrical gigabit pipes for $29 a month today if we would have strung up like four telco execs in '99

also this. it's absolute dogshit and the pandemic really, really highlighted how much "thanks for your money, we'll never upgrade anything" happened. it was especially fun when cox moved our connection to an overloaded node and for literal months we experienced constant packet loss and signal drops.

but at least they gave us a grace period on our data cap :suicide:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
relevant to that last bit our isp has been so consistently awful i wrote something that pinged our home connection from a server and graphed it out

black = 0ms, bright green = 100ms, red = lost packet
(each pixel is one second, one row per 5 minutes)

truly quality deserving of one hundred and thirty united states dollars. thanks, cox.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
would you be willing to share that code because i need to prove to comcast that they hosed something up about three months ago and i went from Literally never touching my cable modem forever to needing to reboot it twice a day. my internet goes down EVERY MORNING at 10am. guess when my first meetings are.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
its gross but sure

there's also something even dumber you can just run locally (though it requires this)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

toiletbrush posted:

this screen draw is incredibly pleasing

Jonny 290 posted:

would you be willing to share that code because i need to prove to comcast that they hosed something up about three months ago and i went from Literally never touching my cable modem forever to needing to reboot it twice a day. my internet goes down EVERY MORNING at 10am. guess when my first meetings are.

i dont know if you have any splits for cable boxes or in the wall for other potential rooms, but i had to remove those in mine because spectrum is incredibly flaky in our area

signal quality is trash any time the season shifts. i did the modem fight from 8-9 am every morning so i could make my standup meeting over the course of a few weeks until i pulled two unused splitters in the line

it happened two years after they redid the drop with stable performance, too, so im blaming the inevitably shoddy wiring further down the line

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i started tracking the cable modem's signals too, since that was a problem we had

this mostly just helped diagnosing the issue where our cable modem was being driven to > 58.1dBmV power, which is just slightly out of spec.

funnily enough when i first started doing this logging into the modem was done by plain-text query string parameters. :thumbsup:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
spent some more time on asm game tonight, now you can edit code! The ui is sort of hellish but I'm not sure how else to do it

I'm definitely gonna speed up some of that drawing, too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Agile Vector posted:

this screen draw is incredibly pleasing

i dont know if you have any splits for cable boxes or in the wall for other potential rooms, but i had to remove those in mine because spectrum is incredibly flaky in our area

signal quality is trash any time the season shifts. i did the modem fight from 8-9 am every morning so i could make my standup meeting over the course of a few weeks until i pulled two unused splitters in the line

it happened two years after they redid the drop with stable performance, too, so im blaming the inevitably shoddy wiring further down the line

I have high grade rg6 quad shield in a single straight run from the ground block outside the house to my cable modem, connectors crimped by myself, setup hasn't been touched in 3 years. Their head end stuff and the big neighborhood lines are falling apart

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

I have high grade rg6 quad shield in a single straight run from the ground block outside the house to my cable modem, connectors crimped by myself, setup hasn't been touched in 3 years. Their head end stuff and the big neighborhood lines are falling apart

aaaargh thats the worst, im sorry dude :(. i kind of suspected youd know it wasnt local but was hoping it was something simple like that that slipped through

also that is loving great for your home setup, but i should have suspected itd be proper, too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

to add, one place i lived in had a cable tech come to the building and just leave all the wires hanging out in a bush for the whole complex. just blindingly incompetent even for sub-sub-subcontracted work

when i called it in a proper tech showed up and he was a bit surprised since his guess was someone stealing hbo, but nope

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I’m sure you know this but the cable companies do listen to FAA complaints and fix their plant if you can find it leaking around VHF and whatever. might be worth a shot to war-drive if you think the problem is between the fiber node and your house

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats not the worst idea and i do have that nice shiny RSP1 sdr that i bought and have used for like twelve minutes total. hm

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

e: gently caress, i had no idea how old the post i quoted was

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
istp: making kpop idols dance to different music

http://www.kc4ylv.online/ha_x_rv.mp4

[song is half alive - still feel]