Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Adun posted:

Are there any Windows laptops that have the same screen quality as a Macbook Pro?

The XPS line of laptops have very good screens. They come in 1080p matte and 4k glossy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Uthor posted:

Trash it is!

Sell it, some Chromebook enthusiast would love to put Linux on it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Lenovo Legion 5 review by jarrodtech Ryzen 4800h model with 1660ti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvLF1pp3pRw

I feel relieved that it reviewed as a decent laptop for it's price and that there wasn't a huge flaw that kills it. I actually use mine more as a mobile computer than a laptop as I have a keyboard and monitor set up wherever I need a computer.

The temperature measurements are really good, but the fans I can say in person if you have turbo performance mode on it is LOUD.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FCKGW posted:

The XPS line of laptops have very good screens. They come in 1080p matte and 4k glossy

1200p, not 1080p, as God intended

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chillyrabbit posted:

I feel relieved that it reviewed as a decent laptop for it's price and that there wasn't a huge flaw that kills it. I actually use mine more as a mobile computer than a laptop as I have a keyboard and monitor set up wherever I need a computer.

The temperature measurements are really good, but the fans I can say in person if you have turbo performance mode on it is LOUD.

Ugh that stupid number pad that shifts everything to the left. It's like a cancerous growth on a gaming laptop.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Mu Zeta posted:

Ugh that stupid number pad that shifts everything to the left. It's like a cancerous growth on a gaming laptop.
Well excuse me, but if your preferred gaming is Nethack from 30 years ago then the number pad is very useful. :colbert:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Legion 5's fans whoosh very loudly, even on the balanced profile. On the plus side it's dead silent when I'm using word or a browser, so the passive cooling works all right.
It's a bit of an odd configuration they are reviewing though. Seems like it would make more sense to have a slightly less speedy Ryzen 5 and a better gpu in that price range. If it was meant for gaming, at least.

roomforthetuna posted:

Well excuse me, but if your preferred gaming is Nethack from 30 years ago then the number pad is very useful. :colbert:

:hai:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Chillyrabbit posted:

how's the build quality? leaning towards this or another Legion 5 model, though I'm waiting to see how the Black Friday deals pan out

also, is there a difference between Legion 5 and Legion 5i, other than AMD vs Intel?

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 16, 2020

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I like it but I'm using it as a mobile computer with a seperate monitor and keyboard. When I did some initially testing the keyboard felt good and the screen bright and responsive.

The specs and price matched what I was looking for and I was gambling a bit on not knowing the temperatures it gets up to, but it does stay pretty cool. Though like I said the Fans are LOUD when it's playing games on performance mode, I wear headphones so I don't really hear or pick up the fans going but it is audibly loud when I take them off.

I personally don't like how the wrist rest area feels because it feels oddly plastic like, but it's smooth and it does feel and weigh like a brick.

I think so far it's an excellent midrange gaming laptop which fits my needs very neatly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FoneBone posted:

also, is there a difference between Legion 5 and Legion 5i, other than AMD vs Intel?

You can look up the exact differences here, using the model numbers: https://psref.lenovo.com/

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

If you look around at T480 and T480s overheating, it's actually pretty common. If they are connected to AC power, they seem to idle VERY hot. The thermal management on them seems to be pretty terrible. They'll do this thing where they idle super hot on AC, spin up the fans full tilt which drops it below a threshold, they they basically stop and start the process over again. Over time the whole chassis heat soaks and weird stuff starts happening.

I've had it connected to three different docks including the official one and all exhibit the same issues. Only way to resolve is bounce the machine and it will behave on AC for a little while.

Inside is as spotless as a clean room. It's 100% a firmware bug that people have been complaining about since 2018.

Beyond that, the capabilities of the external monitors is just terrible because they made too many compromises with the way the internal displayport is handled to stick a dumb HDMI port on the thing.

You can choose dual 1080p monitors, anything beyond that is on your head. If you are LUCKY, you can get the thing to settle down for a bit and knock a 4k monitor down to 1080p60 or 4k30 to allow a second monitor to be detected and that config might be stable for awhile. But then the AC bug will hit which drops and reconnects the dock over and over again, confusing the poo poo out of any monitor configuration.

The most stable solution I've found is to drop back to a USB-C dock with Displaylink rather than try to use thunderbolt. It's actually able to use the monitors without issue if the USB-C port is behaving.

My first T480 lasted about 9 months before it developed a memory fault. I know before we closed down the office (pre-covid, we all just went remote 100% of the time) there wouldn't be a week that went by without someone sending back one that failed.

Confirming that my work T480 also constantly shits itself due to overheating/throttling. Sometimes I have to get up and walk away for a few minutes and pray Excel doesn't crash on me by the time I get back.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Just ordered a new XPS 13. How accurate are the Dell delivery dates, generally?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Adun posted:

They're super conservative in my experience and others here have said the same IIRC; they estimated like three weeks for the last couple of things I or people I know bought from them and they always show up in like 5-7 days.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Adun posted:

Be sure to look at the screen really carefully. I had a couple dead pixels and apparently a few people on reddit mentioned it, too.

Also, for me they were on the ball with dates each time.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Thanks guys

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

Be sure to look at the screen really carefully. I had a couple dead pixels and apparently a few people on reddit mentioned it, too.

Also, for me they were on the ball with dates each time.

There are also websites which have dead pixel tests to make the screening process easier

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
So I was originally going to build a gaming desktop, but after some thought I've decided to go with a laptop instead. I travel a decent amount for work and in my personal life (in normal-ish times at least) so something portable would be nice, plus I'm not sure my fiancee would enjoy a giant glowing gaming computer sitting in our living area (we live in Boston, so we don't have a ton of space and it would be noticeable no matter where we put it).

My budget is $1500, maybe $1600. I'm looking for something with a 240hz screen (I'm also buying a 144hz ultrawide, so will connect it to that as well) and a 20-series GPU. I wouldn't really consider myself a hardcore gamer, but I'd like something that will stay functional, ie running new games well, for a couple of years. I'd like something that doesn't look too gaudy.

Given my price range, should I just buy the Zephyrus G15 and not think twice? I read it has some venting issues, but it seems like that's not a huge concern performance wise. Seems like it's great bang for the buck otherwise.

FWIW, I was also looking at the MSI GS66 Stealth, but it seems like that might not quite fit my budget and I read it gets very, very, very hot.

Edit: Also was looking at the HP Omen 15z, which seems similarly well priced to the G15 but only has the 144hz screen.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 17, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Here’s my laptop purchase report. Couldn’t handle the frustration of my old surface choking on web documents anymore so I bought something in-person, retail. Had been looking at a refurbished Dell 7480 FHD 16/512 on eBay. Ended up paying about $400 more for a new Dell 7300 2n1 13”. Same memory quantities as the 7480 but with an i7 1051U 4K instead of the 6000-something i5 on the 7480.

As far as I can tell, it’s a sort of half-step refresh of the Inspiron 2n1 Black that was reviewed poorly by notebookcheck in 2019 for its aggressive throttling. There are no mainstream site reviews of this particular model. Mine does spin up the fan at seemingly odd times, but it’s still brand new so maybe there are background processes updating or something. Anyway, hope the newer processor means that it won’t be subject to quite as much cutback, but honestly after I opened one of my 4K Premiere timelines and saw how responsive it was, and how much easier multi-tab browsing has been so far, this is looking like it will be just fine. Seems like about as much performance as I could hope to get out of something near-surface pro size without going to the $1,500+ price point of a similar spec XPS 13 or MacBook. The all-black chassis and recessed pen dock are nice too.

Fingers crossed it won’t suffer the slow decline for at least 3 years.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I just clocked this thing on SlickDeals from Microcenter but they're in-store only, not shipped. I wish I still lived in North NJ so I could grab one, but now I'm in CA and the only MicroCenter in the state seems to be out of stock.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Is there something I'm missing with the ASUS Rog Strix G15? Seems like $1500 for a 2070 and a 240hz screen is a way better deal than the Zephyrus. Is there some kind of catch that I should be concerned about? The only major (if you can call it that) flaw I can see from the specs is that it doesn't have a thunderbolt port.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
maybe it's just me but that hinge inspires the opposite of confience for me

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Is there something I'm missing with the ASUS Rog Strix G15? Seems like $1500 for a 2070 and a 240hz screen is a way better deal than the Zephyrus. Is there some kind of catch that I should be concerned about? The only major (if you can call it that) flaw I can see from the specs is that it doesn't have a thunderbolt port.

I think the Zephyrus is their thin and light/premium build laptop brand. At least that's the impression I get with my Zephyrus G14. That laptop you linked looks like a cheap plastic build that would cut costs in places just to cram in powerful components. A lot of laptop brands have something like that.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

CFox posted:

I think the Zephyrus is their thin and light/premium build laptop brand. At least that's the impression I get with my Zephyrus G14. That laptop you linked looks like a cheap plastic build that would cut costs in places just to cram in powerful components. A lot of laptop brands have something like that.

My impression was that the Zephyrus series was also a plastic chassis, but maybe it's still more solidly made nonetheless. Maybe I should just stick with the G14 or G15 and not overthink this, though I'm tempted to go above my ideal price range ($1500 or so) for the MSI GS66 Stealth.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Professor Funk posted:

My impression was that the Zephyrus series was also a plastic chassis, but maybe it's still more solidly made nonetheless. Maybe I should just stick with the G14 or G15 and not overthink this, though I'm tempted to go above my ideal price range ($1500 or so) for the MSI GS66 Stealth.

The G14 is a pretty good plastic chasis, though the G15 probably isn't super cheap or anything. The G15 you posted is going to be considerably thicker, heavier, and I'd be a bit concerned about the heat dissipation and definitely battery life.

Keep in mind, this is the 2070 Mobile (NOT the super, not Max-Q) so while you get some great performance, heat and power usage is definitely a concern here. That 2060 is almost half the wattage for ~20-30% perf drop, that's a really good tradeoff especially at 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, without reading an in-depth review, this looks like a great laptop IF you are looking for more of a desktop-replacement and you have a cooling pad or something when doing more intensive gaming.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Lockback posted:

The G14 is a pretty good plastic chasis, though the G15 probably isn't super cheap or anything. The G15 you posted is going to be considerably thicker, heavier, and I'd be a bit concerned about the heat dissipation and definitely battery life.

Keep in mind, this is the 2070 Mobile (NOT the super, not Max-Q) so while you get some great performance, heat and power usage is definitely a concern here. That 2060 is almost half the wattage for ~20-30% perf drop, that's a really good tradeoff especially at 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, without reading an in-depth review, this looks like a great laptop IF you are looking for more of a desktop-replacement and you have a cooling pad or something when doing more intensive gaming.

Thanks, that's a good point about the power usage. And yeah, reading more about the G15, it seems like they put some kind of venting over the fans that kind of mucks up the cooling. I am getting skeptical the more I read about it even though I wasn't initially too concerned.

I am looking for something like a desktop replacement--as I said above, I was originally thinking about building a desktop but decided (1) I travel a good deal for work and in my personal life, so I'd like the mobility of a laptop; and (2) having a giant glowing gaming rig in our living room might not be my soon-to-be wife's first choice of decoration.

I just came across the Acer Predator series (Helios and Triton), which seem to be a bit beefier but have solid components and cooling. They look pretty gamer-y, but not too bad. And they seem to be well priced. Thinking that might be the way to go.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 18, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Professor Funk posted:

I just came across the Acer Predator series (Helios and Triton), which seem to be a bit beefier but have solid components and cooling. They look pretty gamer-y, but not too bad. And they seem to be well priced. Thinking that might be the way to go.
The Acer QC is hot garbage. If you do buy one, make sure that it’s from somewhere with good returns.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Professor Funk posted:

I am looking for something like a desktop replacement--as I said above, I was originally thinking about building a desktop but decided (1) I travel a good deal for work and in my personal life, so I'd like the mobility of a laptop; and (2) having a giant glowing gaming rig in our living room might not be my soon-to-be wife's first choice of decoration.

How much of a high performance gaming do you intend to do while traveling? My choice has been powerful gaming desktop and for my laptop gaming I do NES and SNES emulator. And I wouldn't worry about the glow, you can build a nondescript box without careful choice of components. And if you have a traditional cabinet under the TV you can probably hide the computer there.

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

Professor Funk posted:

Thanks, that's a good point about the power usage. And yeah, reading more about the G15, it seems like they put some kind of venting over the fans that kind of mucks up the cooling. I am getting skeptical the more I read about it even though I wasn't initially too concerned.

Look at the Eluktronics RP-15. May be a decent option for you. Don’t see people post about it much in here, but it got pretty good reviews. I have one and love it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lockback posted:

The new g14 uses a magnesium alloy chassis.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
If i was looking for a gaming laptop around $1500, id go for this deal - https://www.reddit.com/r/LaptopDeals/comments/jdlr9y/eluktronics_mech15_g3_laptop_i710875h_rtx_2070/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Have there been any updates about laptops with the NVidia 3000 series cards? I’m guessing next summer at the earliest with supply issues but was wondering if there was anything more concrete.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Joker posted:

Look at the Eluktronics RP-15. May be a decent option for you. Don’t see people post about it much in here, but it got pretty good reviews. I have one and love it.

Interesting, I know nothing about Eluktronics. Thanks for both of these--glad I posted here.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Acer QC is hot garbage. If you do buy one, make sure that it’s from somewhere with good returns.

Thanks for this too!

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 19, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Have there been any updates about laptops with the NVidia 3000 series cards? I’m guessing next summer at the earliest with supply issues but was wondering if there was anything more concrete.

Early 2021 announcement (probably), though usually there is a lag. You'll see high end, desktop replacement-type stuff first. I'd guess next summer for when they become more mainline is probably a decent guess, though you'll probably find them before then if you want to pay a nice bit for them.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
My wife is trying to make a decision among Lenovo T495s, L15, and the E15 ThinkPads. Any is a massive step up from her current laptop. She's unsure if she'll hate the numpad of the E15 more than the smaller screen of the T495s. But maybe y'all have other info that rules out one or the other. She does some gaming but it's mostly low-spec hidden object games. The most graphically advanced game she's played has been some Sherlock Holmes game. Thanks!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Just pulled the trigger on my first new laptop since my Y410p back in 2013. Went with the Lenovo T14s with the Ryzen 4750u and 16gb of ram. Unfortunately it's a 5 week wait since I wanted the 400 nit display and not the trash 250 nit one in all the pre-configured models. Will report back in a loving month and a half when it shows up.
Does anyone here have any hands-on experience with the T14 or T14s? I sacrificed being able to expand the ram to get the magnesium chassis and honestly can't think of any applications where I'll need 32gigs anyway.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

So I ended up going with the MSI GL65 Leopard with the 2070 mobile. It was the same price as the Acer Helios 300, so I essentially ended up sacrificing the 240hz screen for the mobile 2070, which I understand has implications for thermals and for battery life (I frankly don't care about battery life all that much), but which will keep me current for longer. I also heard better things about MSI as far as QC and reliability go than I did about Acer, and I like the way the MSI looks more than the Predator.

My only concern is that, while the GPU thermals are apparently fine, the CPU does not come undervolted and thermal throttles at 95 degrees in turbo mode. From what I've read, turning off turbo mode brings the CPU temps down 10 degrees or so. Nonetheless, if I'm using it connected to a monitor, I'll use a cooling pad. If I'm not, I'll probably turn off the turbo mode or generally avoid pushing it. I'm somewhat new to all this, so I might undervolt the CPU once I get confident enough to so--apparently it's pretty easy from the BIOS. Also apparently the fans can be pretty loud but...it's a gaming laptop so I'm not too concerned there.

I still have time to turn back if I made a really terrible decision, but I feel good about it especially at that price point given the specs.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 21, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A cooling pad will make a big difference on that laptop. I think if you keep it on there you'll be fine most of the time.

Consider using frame limiters too so you're not having your GPU push 300 FPS then throttle itself.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Lockback posted:

A cooling pad will make a big difference on that laptop. I think if you keep it on there you'll be fine most of the time.

Consider using frame limiters too so you're not having your GPU push 300 FPS then throttle itself.

Yeah, I'm mostly going to be using it as a desktop replacement (why I went for raw power over everything else) connected to a 144hz ultrawide, so I definitely don't mind using a cooling pad. This one seems to be pretty legit? Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep the thread posted on my experience.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I deciding between getting either a small form factor PC like a NUC or a laptop. This machine will be for work only, (no games), and it will probably spend 99% of it's life plugged into the wall.

My question is does keeping a laptop plugged in all the time ruin it's battery? I remember a while back reading that it does, but I don't know if modern batteries these days can handle being plugged in all the time without damaging it.

Is it possible to get a laptop with a removable battery, and just use it with the battery uninstalled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

School of How posted:

I deciding between getting either a small form factor PC like a NUC or a laptop. This machine will be for work only, (no games), and it will probably spend 99% of it's life plugged into the wall.

My question is does keeping a laptop plugged in all the time ruin it's battery? I remember a while back reading that it does, but I don't know if modern batteries these days can handle being plugged in all the time without damaging it.

Is it possible to get a laptop with a removable battery, and just use it with the battery uninstalled?

Many machines won't run at full speed without the battery.

Why can't you just run it on the battery for a day once every other week or so?

Edit: or buy a desktop