Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Hi Goons, this is Gonzo.

Gonzo has been part of the protests out in Portland as well as in SLC, D.C. and Los Angeles. There were some troubling times in his past and he was trying his best to escape them.
He (at the time) had claimed to be a homeless anarchist. I encountered Gonzo because his artwork and life story had interested me when I caught someone retweet his story and art on Twitter.

He has previously worked as a professional chef, printer, artist and - previously worked for Joe "Tiger Joe" Exotic -- particularly for his Presidential Run in 2016.

He also worked as a "caretaker" at his exotic zoo in Tulsa, OK and was in charge of feeding and maintaining the livelihood of the tigers, bears, cats and bearcats that Joe had collected. He had a few stories to share but mostly sided with Joe loving the animals and hating Carol Baskin.
We did not force him to watch any episodes of the Tiger Joe special on Netflix as he had specifically requested not to watch them. Since we had already seen them, it was not a big deal to leave that discussion in the dust.

I'm a desperate person at heart when it comes to helping my fellow man, and my heart may be larger than I deserve -- so I offered for him to come to my place and at least stay safe from the horrors he had faced living homeless during the riots and protests. He had gotten "catfished" in SLC and followed an untrustworthy lead - which lead to him falling back on going to D.C. where he had a stable relationship with the protest crowd and could easily resume life in a tent outside the White House.

He lived in this tent in my back yard, outside of Chicago, from August 28th until today, October 17th. Luckily, the weather was mostly accommodating.

We did our best to provide him with a safe location to produce his art, look for work and get medical help.
We were able to get him out to Stroger Hospital, where he was provided with medication to help combat his herpes; and some resources to get him to a safe location.

Here is some video evidence of him working at Joe Exotic's zoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XmtFLJoQg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-dDN88VYOw

We tried to dress him in clothing that would be suitable for a cold Winter that was quickly approaching in Chicago:

He made artwork, which he originally printed from a place in Hollywood because they got him the best quality at the lowest price. He used to be on twitter here but just deleted his account last night so it's hard to pull up his previous posts.
They apparently love this guy out in Hollywood. His style was "glitch" art of photos he took.
Here are some of his artworks:

<- (This is Lindsey Lohan with a gun to her head, he is especially proud of this.)

He tried to sell his artwork downtown in The Loop for a couple days, while it was still relatively nice out, for the past month - stationed outside the Art Institute, which allowed him to get free Wi-Fi from the Starbucks across the street while he laid his art out and tried to sell it for $50 per print.

My wife made him this kickass design to clip on his portfolio bag he carried around, to help him attract attention and sell his artwork:

He was able to make one or two sales, but that money was quickly squandered on booze and cigarettes; since they are a highly-taxed commodity, he ran out of those funds quickly as the weeks passed.

I bought him a couple of vape pen cartridges to keep his weed supply going, and he used the food stamps he had left in Portland to buy a whole bunch of K-cups for coffee that he wanted to drink while he was stationed here. We got him set up with a nice inflatable mattress in the tent and he made his best out of it while hitching our Wi-Fi to upload his art or bitch at politicians on Twitter.

Here he is making some of his art on an iPad. Please forgive the fact that my house looks like poo poo.
I think I was making him watch "I Think You Should Leave" on Netflix at the time.

He also made music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04tkNrwLSrA

What I'd like to do in this thread, if anything - is make Goons more aware to how dire the homeless situation is in the United States and to encourage anyone with any possible situation like my own to try their best to help their fellow man. Gonzo was trapped in Portland, as a homeless, but also as an independent artist trying to make a living for himself. The riots happened blocks away from his "residency" and he ultimately had no choice but to relocate entirely so that he wasn't choking on tear gas trying to sleep.

I can make this an AMA of sorts because he's now moved on to a homeless shelter and the only communication I'll have with him will be over email. I don't want to ask for donations on his behalf because at this point, I am not certain they would reach him.
If you want to go Internet Detective and get more information about him, that would be great but please PM me first so we're both aware that we aren't exposing any personal information about this nice gentleman.
He will have physical mail delivered to my house still, so I can forward things on to him, once I learn of his new temporary address.

I am able to speak to what it's like inviting a homeless person to your house, as well as trying your best to help them acclimate to society again while ending sentences with "gently caress you, that's why" and helping to break them of that habit.

MODS: If this doesn't belong in GBS then punt it over to A/T, I figured it would get more attention here but correct me if this is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I dig Gonzo's art, I'm a bigger fan of his more abstract pieces.

I hope Gonzo can continue his art career while integrating back into society.

What events got him to this point as you said he was working in the resturant industry.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

zaepg posted:

I dig Gonzo's art, I'm a bigger fan of his more abstract pieces.

I hope Gonzo can continue his art career while integrating back into society.

What events got him to this point as you said he was working in the resturant industry.

He was previously working as a chef at the Hyatt Regency in Hollywood. He was normally, as he explained all kitchen staff are, high on meth, coke or weed, or as a combination of all three in a speedball.
My understanding is that he encountered some rough times outside of the kitchen and had come across the wrong crowd to acquire drugs from which lead to his rape in an alleyway that the cops dismissed and pushed him aside because of his living situation.

The first meal he prepared for us from ingredients out of the fridge smelled closer to feet than actual food, but it tasted good enough. When I got some steaks and actual ingredients, I will not lie the meal was absolutely incredible.
We tried our best to prepare food at least for dinners together but the remainder of the day he filled up on pork rinds and coffee.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm not aware of Chicago, but New England has a lot of programs to help people like him get back on their feet. Hopefully he can shell out a little money to get to rehab as well.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It’s about time we talked about that guy

I wanted to say something for a while now

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

zaepg posted:

I'm not aware of Chicago, but New England has a lot of programs to help people like him get back on their feet. Hopefully he can shell out a little money to get to rehab as well.

Unfortunately, he is a very addicted alcoholic. We had tried finding a few places nearby that would be helpful for his current situation, but much like the other cities he has been in they are turning away new applicants due to COVID-19 restrictions; beyond the fact that many have been defunded to hell.

In the past four days, he started weening himself off alcohol under the impression that either he would not be able to afford it further or would check in to a location that would not permit it and would have to deal with the shakes either way.
He got word on Thursday this week that the one of the nicer locations had to turn him away and I think that was the turning point in his mind to find immediate shelter beyond a flimsy tent in some dude's back yard.

We don't have much room to spare for him staying indoors here or I would definitely have provided that as a temporary option while he still attempted to get on solid ground.

Dear Watson posted:

It’s about time we talked about that guy

I wanted to say something for a while now

I'm glad we are finally talking about him.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

lol this dude think he hunter s thompsom

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

lol this dude think he hunter s thompsom

Motherfucker I paid you to shamefully eat out of a Chef Boyardee can like a hobo you're one to talk.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Video Nasty posted:

Motherfucker I paid you to shamefully eat out of a Chef Boyardee can like a hobo you're one to talk.

Yeah but I looked like my own peeson when I did it

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Sid Vicious posted:

Fine. Ask a question instead of punching down on the poor guy hey?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sid Vicious posted:

Leave me, your pee son, out of this.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

hey i wasn't trying to punch down I was just pointing out that the guy who named himself Gonzo is emulating hunter s thomas the gonzo journalist I promise I was not being rude and I m sorry

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Maybe his parents named him that, did you ever stop and think that, hmmm?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

hey i wasn't trying to punch down I was just pointing out that the guy who named himself Gonzo is emulating hunter s thomas the gonzo journalist I promise I was not being rude and I m sorry

You're good people. Also, I like some of this guy's art. Too bad I can't afford to buy any for the foreseeable future.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

It appears that he only deactivated his account on Twitter so I was able to collect more images to help tell his story.

Here is a rough estimate of the traveling he has done since 2019 to escape homelessness

While in Hollywood, he would camp out directly on the sidewalk and sell art like this:

This is an American flag he painted like Ralph Steadman and carried around with him to the various protests.

It was being used as a tarp over the tent in my back yard to keep rain out.

Here is the tent he camped in outside the White House (note the flag)

Here's his photo with Joe Exotic

And here's the platform Joe was going to run on in 2016

edit: Now that his tent has been packed up after a month and a half in the same spot, the vague shape of a skull of dead grass remains in my lawn.

second edit: Since he is back on Twitter, I'd like to give a free promotion to his art sales if you'd like to claim a print for yourself:
https://twitter.com/abbGONZOhoffman/status/1317838143610081280

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 18, 2020

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
When/why did you or him decide it was time to stop living at your house?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

When/why did you or him decide it was time to stop living at your house?

On Thursday, the 15th he received another rejection from a mental health facility because of COVID restrictions; they simply weren't admitting new inpatients.
He had a day-long breakdown and started sobering himself up. He would come into the house to use the bathroom (I have the fortunate situation where I work from home), sniffling and basically acting completely dejected.
We didn't make eye contact the entire day, besides the first time he came in for the morning. He stopped pouring liquor into his coffee and stopped buying alcohol at the local bodega.

I could sense something was up but when he "deactivated" his Twitter account on Thursday night that seemed like the biggest warning sign that something drastic was going to happen.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
I keep hearing different versions of this, can someone clear up whether the revolution will be televised or not? Will I need to buy tickets or subscribe to a particular streaming service? I don't wanna miss it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Is "in my back yard" a euphemism?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Universe Master posted:

Is "in my back yard" a euphemism?

No.

Jawdins posted:

I keep hearing different versions of this, can someone clear up whether the revolution will be televised or not? Will I need to buy tickets or subscribe to a particular streaming service? I don't wanna miss it.

Thanks to advancements in 5G technology we can broadcast more of the revolution than ever!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
If he’s an alcoholic looking for help drinking, why hasn’t he become active in the AA community?

People who are recovering from addiction need a network of support, not just one caring family, as you saw, it’s too much of a burden for one family to handle.

For a sincerely committed person, AA (or NA or any of these programs) is the only way to stay away from their addiction long term. This along with being stabilized on meds that even the gutted ACA would provide would go a long way.

I think that might be part of the problem, any program would ask that he give up his lifestyle to achieve sobriety. For a period of time for him to become stable, wouldn’t that be for the best?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dooo dooo dooo-dooo tent's in my back yard

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Solvent posted:

If he’s an alcoholic looking for help drinking, why hasn’t he become active in the AA community?

People who are recovering from addiction need a network of support, not just one caring family, as you saw, it’s too much of a burden for one family to handle.

For a sincerely committed person, AA (or NA or any of these programs) is the only way to stay away from their addiction long term. This along with being stabilized on meds that even the gutted ACA would provide would go a long way.

I think that might be part of the problem, any program would ask that he give up his lifestyle to achieve sobriety. For a period of time for him to become stable, wouldn’t that be for the best?

I can attest to him having an easier time getting away from alcohol than he could from vaping weed and smoking cigarettes.

During his time here, we thought we could help condition him to being a little friendlier around people so that he wouldn't immediately act out as a defense mechanism. I like to think we mostly succeeded :shobon:

AA/NA was most likely a waste of time to him, as it doesn't provide him actual housing or mental care unless he believes in God and he's not willing to reduce his integrity to that kind of thing.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dooo dooo dooo-dooo dude's in a tent in my back yard

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Video Nasty posted:

AA/NA was most likely a waste of time to him, as it doesn't provide him actual housing or mental care unless he believes in God and he's not willing to reduce his integrity to that kind of thing.

What makes you think this is how most AA/NA groups work?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

What makes you think this is how most AA/NA groups work?

Of the resources we printed out to have him call and apply towards, there were several with a clearly religious bias but it was wrong of me to apply such a broad stroke.

I was hopeful that his time at my house would be temporary until he could secure his own residency to get mail and basic services. The most we could do was get him medicaid while homeless to cover emergency health concerns.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Video Nasty posted:

It's honestly a "higher power".

If you get the shakes (withdrawal), you're an alcohol addict, this is not my opinion, this is physical addiction as medical fact.
I suggest that you attend an Alanon meeting OP, you're well intentioned and ill informed, this leads to at best, frustration.
An addict's sponsor is someone who has more knowledge than a layman about the subject, and it's them, as well as group leaders who provide and direct people towards the resources you speak of. I'm sure you know what an enabler is, by giving him a place to drink to the point where he has withdrawals, buying him vape carts, that's enabling an addict.

You did more harm than good for that man.

Good luck.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Yeah the whole providing safe haven was surely just an afterthought and I clearly had just intended to enable an addict. :agesilaus:
I am aware of the steps and the other poo poo involved, it is not my place in life to encourage that for those unwilling to participate.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OP let a homeless person live somewhere safe for a bit

Goons - why didn't you cure him and fix his life?!!!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Video Nasty posted:

Of the resources we printed out to have him call and apply towards, there were several with a clearly religious bias but it was wrong of me to apply such a broad stroke.

I was hopeful that his time at my house would be temporary until he could secure his own residency to get mail and basic services. The most we could do was get him medicaid while homeless to cover emergency health concerns.

NA/AA can be pretty difficult to explain because of the way they organize. They are bottom up organizations that allow individual groups a lot of latitude in how they operate. So, some groups will be extremely religious and border on revival meetings. Others will be straight up atheist and make zero mention of god ever. This is part of why pretty much all groups recommend someone who is new to programs visit as many different groups as they can and find one that fits them well. In a bigger city like Portland this works pretty well since itll give someone going into recovery a chance to meet a lot of new people who are sober, see some different groups and hopefully find one they like. It doesnt work so well in rural areas where often times the only group is organized at the local fundie church, but since you are in Portland we can avoid that particular can of works.

And even with all that said, Ive never heard of a group turning someone away or denying them access to the services they provide based on religion or damned near anything else. AA/NA dont turn people away. If a group was denying people access to services based on religion Im not sure what mechanism district organizers and above have to compel them to stop but I expect they would do everything they could put an end to that.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
This dude has it way better then me, tell him to look up a fast taper and he can get into a shelter and free clinic. Also lol that his problem was needing herpes medication. If he doesn't have cirrhosis or hep or aids or whatever, he can be fine. He also looks healthy enough for day labor. As a fellow hobo, just tell him to try SOMETHING, even if you punctuate your sentences with "gently caress you that's why" you can still wave a flag for a day and make enough to eat drink and smoke. Also lol that y'all bought him vape pens like that's important while you starve in a tent.

Solvent posted:

Lol, AA/NA makes you feel like a worthless victim who has no control of themself.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
there was a dude living in the park across from my house. i tried making contact a few times but he never reciprocated. i did find an aid group to get him supplies and it looked like he had finally cleared out when he broke into an unused part of my in-law's apartment and made off with a handful of old coins. i knew it was him because i saw him escape out the back door while i was jacking off out the window. not really sure anything icould have done would have helped him more, but i'm open to strategies if anyone has tips.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

there was a dude living in the park across from my house. i tried making contact a few times but he never reciprocated. i did find an aid group to get him supplies and it looked like he had finally cleared out when he broke into an unused part of my in-law's apartment and made off with a handful of old coins. i knew it was him because i saw him escape out the back door while i was jacking off out the window. not really sure anything icould have done would have helped him more, but i'm open to strategies if anyone has tips.

Lmao

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Video Nasty posted:

AA as a fellowship doesn't provide housing or institutionalisation to alcoholics at all. Though some members in some groups will be involved in those tasks as individuals. AA meetings are open to anyone of any belief who wants to give up alcohol.

The idea is that newcomers can be empowered by hearing the experience, strength and hope of recovered alcoholics, rather than relying on their own thinking and willpower, which had not got them sober.

Not all alcoholics who get sober go to AA, but millions have, and many detoxes and rehabs recommend and even require patients to attend meetings.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 18, 2020

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
You may have noticed posts by goons who are better informed about the rooms than I am.

Don’t be defensive, it’s one thing to give someone a hand up, it’s another entirely to put up someone you clearly admire for a finite period of time. I mean what I said about enabling him, imagine you had made this same thread while he was still with you. Imagine how much more good you’ve done for him, how much less frustration your kind family would have had to experience.

I’ve met people who are actively involved as sponsors, they very often have exactly what that gentleman artist needed. A way into a recovery home, a way into temporary work.

Phiz called it if I read into his post right anyways. Dudes gone, this is about you.

To the guy who responded with his own version of smug, you know drat well it’s better for everyone involved for this admired, respected hobo to get a shower, hot meal, respect and some clean loving socks than it is to just squat in someone’s yard. Someone who wanted to just help a homeless guy for a bit isn’t someone posting THAT OP. That looked like a humanizing story of a man who’s life is in the street. Gonz is a human being who deserves respect for sure, respect for his desire even to not seek addiction help, but respect is a double edged sword, hence that “do some day labor” poo poo you posted. A grown person is responsible for themselves and their decisions in the end.

We all know that.

What’s not said is that (analogy warning) exchanging a junkie’s needles is one thing, giving them a place to flop and shoot is another.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
That’s why I don’t try to help the homeless, I don’t have a PhD in it, I don’t run an award winning transitional program teamed up with a prestigious hospital, and I’m not an AA sponsor

It’s a shame you hosed up so bad OP

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Solvent posted:

Phiz called it if I read into his post right anyways. Dudes gone, this is about you.

To the guy who responded with his own version of smug, you know drat well it’s better for everyone involved for this admired, respected hobo to get a shower, hot meal, respect and some clean loving socks than it is to just squat in someone’s yard. Someone who wanted to just help a homeless guy for a bit isn’t someone posting THAT OP. That looked like a humanizing story of a man who’s life is in the street. Gonz is a human being who deserves respect for sure, respect for his desire even to not seek addiction help, but respect is a double edged sword, hence that “do some day labor” poo poo you posted. A grown person is responsible for themselves and their decisions in the end.

Guy wasn't taking shits in a bucket or alleyways here, dude.
He had access to shower, shave, cook and eat our food and wash the clothes he took with him, as well as warmer attire for the coming cold weather ahead.

Solvent posted:

What’s not said is that (analogy warning) exchanging a junkie’s needles is one thing, giving them a place to flop and shoot is another.
This is immature at best and stupid at worst. Try harder to upset me with your crap analogies.

e:

Do it ironically posted:

That’s why I don’t try to help the homeless, I don’t have a PhD in it, I don’t run an award winning transitional program teamed up with a prestigious hospital, and I’m not an AA sponsor

It’s a shame you hosed up so bad OP

Welp, can't miss me with this sound logic. Sorry for being a failure, everyone.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Solvent posted:

i'm just saying, it's real tough to help folks in this situation because they aren't often aware of every issue that compels them to make the decisions they make. As an addict, i can speak from experience, but there's a huge frustration-shame-avoidance cycle which really pushes you from just one desperate act to another. "Getting someone help on their terms" and "ennabling their self destruction" can look exactly alike, but trying to force someone into a recovery plan they don't agree with isn't likely to get better results.
Video Nasty, i think you tried your best to do right by someone who wasn't in a position to help themselves. you have gone beyond what probably 80% of self-professed "anti-homeless advocates" have done themselves. please take this as a learning experience and keep doing good in the world. <3

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm just saying, it's real tough to help folks in this situation because they aren't often aware of every issue that compels them to make the decisions they make. As an addict, i can speak from experience, but there's a huge frustration-shame-avoidance cycle which really pushes you from just one desperate act to another. "Getting someone help on their terms" and "ennabling their self destruction" can look exactly alike, but trying to force someone into a recovery plan they don't agree with isn't likely to get better results.
Video Nasty, i think you tried your best to do right by someone who wasn't in a position to help themselves. you have gone beyond what probably 80% of self-professed "anti-homeless advocates" have done themselves. please take this as a learning experience and keep doing good in the world. <3

I appreciate the sentiments. I could see that he had hopefulness of getting himself personally better. This may have not been the time. We had done our best to, at the very least, provide shelter and company when he wanted it - which could seem like a complete luxury from what his past experiences had proven.

He addressed me on his way out, that made me feel like he had become burdensome to our household, which I rebuked and just admitted (again) that time was more important than ever for him to find a warm, safe place to be comfortable and continue doing whatever he wanted.

baby delivery truck posted:

This dude has it way better then me, tell him to look up a fast taper and he can get into a shelter and free clinic. Also lol that his problem was needing herpes medication. If he doesn't have cirrhosis or hep or aids or whatever, he can be fine. He also looks healthy enough for day labor. As a fellow hobo, just tell him to try SOMETHING, even if you punctuate your sentences with "gently caress you that's why" you can still wave a flag for a day and make enough to eat drink and smoke. Also lol that y'all bought him vape pens like that's important while you starve in a tent.
He had physical capabilities to perform manual labor, but his resume was spotty-at-best with the previous eight years of his life in and out of protest camps or living adjacent-to homelessness so he relied on selling his artwork instead.

He applied online for positions at the nearby Target and Wal-Mart and even got an interview at the Target but ultimately was passed over which took a week to even know the results. :(

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Literally everyone who's had the slightest thing to do with the horrid people in this awful Neflix show has tried to gain something from it, and they are all horrid people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Your heart's in the right place OP but you were absolutely enabling him.

I'm an atheist who's been through AA and I agree the higher power thing is just a repackaged Christian God, and there's a whole host of other problems with the program, and it sucks that it can be exclusionary, but the reality is there's not a lot else out there for the struggling addict and if you want to get sober you use the tools you have.

He started to sober up when he was in danger of losing his housing. That's not some tough-love BS, it's how addicts get clean.