Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Spooky Halloween Outfit Ideas
This poll is closed.
The guy from Hades 37 7.76%
The priest from Faith 22 4.61%
A Corpse from Microsoft's Graveyard 27 5.66%
The Ouya 62 13.00%
Google Stadia (scariest option) 73 15.30%
Mr. Mosquito 31 6.50%
Did someone say Bowsette? BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE I HEARD SOMEONE SAY BOWSETTE 122 25.58%
Wario (nude) 62 13.00%
Wario (formal) 33 6.92%
Captain N 8 1.68%
Total: 304 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
There is but it's pretty dead: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763612&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Goongratz on the fancy knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why is a video game knife worth $950

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

Real world money laundering

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Help Im Alive posted:

Masterworks all, you can't go wrong

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Help Im Alive posted:

Honestly I am asking the same thing, but given that it's an appreciable percent of my salary I'm not complaining.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also it's almost Halloween and it barely feels spooky at all this year, except for the plague lurking around every corner.

So I'm playing the Medievil remake lol, and turns out I was absolutely terrible at video games as a kid, I couldn't get past the first boss at the time and you can almost literally just hold still and shoot it with your crossbow.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does it still play like a so so ps1 game? I skipped it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

Does it still play like a so so ps1 game? I skipped it

Sure does lol, they did no real modernizing to it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I played like halfway through Medievil before I realized you can move the camera, and right after that I got stuck and haven't touched it in what, 20 years?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

is it possible to like. fight these things normally

i never got far enough to find any i dont think

Weedle
May 31, 2006

medievil is a ps1-rear end ps1 game but it'll always have a special place in my heart for being the first game i can remember playing on a store demo kiosk. i rebought it on psp like 15 years later and it was still pretty fun

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Kerrzhe posted:

Yes, you use the master sword or the ancient weapons to cut off all of their legs and then poke out the eyes with arrows .

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Kerrzhe posted:

That's not the normal way people fight enemies in botw?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, you use the master sword or the ancient weapons to cut off all of their legs and then poke out the eyes with arrows .

Don't listen to this coward. You fight guardians by parrying their lasers.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kerrzhe posted:

Define "normally" in a game where every gameplay system has been designed to allow for emergent player behavior.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So have I. Hmmm maybe I've been working from home wrong?

sorry buddy

games finished in 2020:

Donkey Kong Country (gba)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (gba)
Mega Man Battle Network 3 blue (gba)
Mega Man Battle Network 1 (gba)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (gamecube)
Mega Man Battle Network 2 (gba)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles (genesis) [replay]
Sonic Adventure DX (gamecube)
Pokemon Sword (switch)
Nier Automata (ps4) [replay]
Sonic the Hedgehog (game gear)
Fire Emblem: Three Houses [Crimson Flower] (switch)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (game gear)
Sonic Blast (game gear)
Sonic Chaos (game gear)
Sonic Triple Trouble (game gear)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (gba)
Animal Crossing (switch)
Yoshi's Crafted World (switch)
Pokemon Colosseum (gamecube)
Halo: Combat Evolved (pc)
Awful Emblem Act 1 Demo (gba rom hack)
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (ps4)
Joe and Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics (snes)
Outer Wilds (ps4)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (wii u)
Fire Emblem: The Road to Ruin (gba rom hack)
Abzu (ps4)
Halo 2 (pc)
Gato Roboto (switch)
Wishing Sarah (pc)
Bomberman Jetters (gamecube)
Far From Noise (pc)
Ring Ring (pc)
Water's Fine (pc)
Nonsense at Nightfall (pc)
Halo: Reach (pc)
Trials of Mana (switch)
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (gamecube) [replay]
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (ps4)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (ps4)
Spyro the Dragon (ps4)
Sonic Heroes (gamecube)
Sonic Advance (gba) [replay]
Spyro the Dragon 2 (ps4)
Terraria [master mode] (pc)
Tokyo Xanadu eX+ (ps4)
Sonic Advance 2 (gba)
Super Mario Bros (snes)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm (switch)
Spyro the Dragon 3 (ps4)
Super Mario Bros 3 (snes)
Sonic Battle (gba)
Super Mario World (snes) [replay]
SMW - Peach's Adventure Demo (snes rom hack)
SMW - Captain Barry's Treasure (snes rom hack)
SMW - Kola Kingdom Quest (snes rom hack)
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
SMW - Luigi and the Island of Mystery (snes rom hack)
Sonic Advance 3 (gba)
SMW - A Halloween Walk (snes rom hack)
SMW - Halloween in the Mushroom Kingdom (snes rom hack)
SMW - Il Maniero Spettrale (snes rom hack)
SMW - Shrine of Eternal Ice (snes rom hack)
SMW - Mario Wakes Up (snes rom hack)
Doom [2016] (ps4)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (switch)
SMW - Other World Demo (snes rom hack)
Kirby's Halloween Adventure (nes rom hack)
SMW - Adventure Demo (snes rom hack)

currently playing:
Prey
Resident Evil 2
Hades
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fire Emblem: The Four Kings
Shadow the Hedgehog
Super Mario World Central's Halloween Level Design Contest 2019

granted a lot of these are on the shorter side!

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 18, 2020

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
https://youtu.be/oY9m2sHQwLs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

(h/t Republic of Gamers discord)

https://twitter.com/MidniteLibrary/status/1317705352239042561

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mango sentinel posted:

Don't listen to this coward. You fight guardians by parrying their lasers.

I'll admit it, I am not good enough to parry their laser with any consistent success. My great gaming shame.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Spelunky??

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spelunker.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hardly know her

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Get ready for the effort post that no one asked for,
Your User Experience is bad, and you* should feel bad.
*Here, 'you' is the product team, as in my experience, User Experience engineers often know exactly what they are doing and yet are consistently saddled with comically idiotic requirements.

Boot: Boots to the press PS button, goes through to the login user to controller. Just like the PS4. Rating: fine.

News: So, news is an advertising feature. It's a well targeted advertising feature, because who is more likely to care about games for your console then people who already are using your console. But still, you have to be careful presenting it so you don't waste your user's time. Fortunately, there is a sublime solution to this in the Switch UX, sidebar it and offer it as an equal option to the game presentation. Surely, Sony who have expressed that the intent of this User Experience is to get the player right into their games will choose a similar setup. Oh. Cool. Cool cool cool. They instead chose to put it as a mandatory boot selection, wasting every single user's time, every single time they softboot their device. Rating: Suck my entire rear end, :capitialism:.

Cards: Using cards for the primary menu now. That's an element that works like tiles but presents textual information to the user, which seems unnecessary unless for some reason they have information to present. Which they do, because Activities. Rating: Technically correct

Background: Oh, wait. The cards are bright and colorful, they are flat, unselected cards are borderless, and they are placed against a colorful background, causing them to get lost. Rating: Terrible

Activities: This seems weird. They're parallelizing multiple threads of the same application. An impressive show of the power of the console to be sure, but what games does this even work for? Sackboy apparently. I think this might work for a game like Hitman, right? But what about Uncharted, a game that tells a linear story, doesn't seem to make sense there. Or worse, demon souls, a game where you have one save and it's autosave only, Activities wouldn't work for a game like that at all. Rating: Cool, but what's your use case?

(Also, I'm not going to mention this explicitly again, but a lot of these features seem like a real stab in the back to third party developers who, on this console, and this console only, have to develop a bunch of new interface hooks in order to work with the full function of the basic menus.)

Now, there's one other thing about Activities that I want to mention, and that is there is an obvious ingenious use case for Activities that I would love, which is instead of parallelizing a single app, parallelize multiple apps instead, so I can quick boot my current save in any game I've been playing in the last week. It's such an obvious use case to me that it makes me think the fact that they didn't showcase this suggests that they can't do it due to some sort of technical limitation. (Or maybe I'm an unusual user, and no one would actually want that.)

Time Remaining: The moment they revealed this, my eyes bugged out. This is awesome, an absolutely amazing piece of information. To me, the number one piece of useful information about Activities. And they put it, on the back of the card, beneath the fold, instead of on the front of the card where it belongs. Rating: What were you thinking hiding this?

Official Game Help: Seems like a smart feature, but I'm not sure what the user persona is for this. It's someone who would need help, so not (usually) a power user, but also someone that subscribes to playstation plus?!? Also they would have to prefer the in game help to youtube, which I can never imagine myself doing. I guess the user persona is probably children of the power user that bought the console? Is that a big audience, I'm sure at least, it is a growing audience. Rating: Who is the target user?

Wait a minute,
Menuing doesn't pause the game: This is a stupid idea. I'm sure it's fine for sackboy, and required for multiplayer games, but it always detrimental to the user in a single player game. Rating: Terrible

Partying: This seems like a natural evolution of what I've seen from the XBox/Windows 10 partying system. I like it a lot. Rating: Cool
Although, studies have shown that splitting your attention can be detrimental to focus and brain function, but I'm sure if it's only audio it'll be okay.

Screen Sharing: gently caress. Again, another feature you've invented that is only really safe if the user playing a supercasual game like Sackboy. I mean if I'm watching a stream, ideally I want to be in a chat room, like Discord, or Twitch, and watching this on background. Oh, poo poo, there's an obvious killer app here, and it's a Sony homebrew version of OBS that one button connects to your Twitch account to start streaming. That doesn't exist and it probably never will, but now every time you party on your PS5 you'll remember how obvious this use case is and get depressed. (I know I will.) Rating: A huge disappointment.

Multiplayer: I consider this to to be a fundamental function of 'partying', and as far as I can tell it works exactly as I expect. Again, Rating: Cool

Photos:Users are obviously bonkers excited for photo sharing. I've never understood this, but it's clearly an extremely desirable feature for people. It looks like photo taking is integrated directly with the internal storage, which is, as I expected. Rating: Cool

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,
Card Sorting: They just jumped out of the game immediately after taking a photo but the photo card never sorted left, it's below the fold. What the gently caress? Rating: How can you be this bad at User Experience? (They later show that it is literally all the way to the right having never sorted at all, wasting a lot of user time.)

Lower Menu, Game Hubs, Game Store: Looks a lot like PS4, but with Tiles that I personally think look stupider. I presume the visual design update is to make them look prettier for 4k? The game store is no longer an app, and is instead directly integrated which is neat. Rating: fine

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Personally I am pretty psyched about the opportunity to watch someone play a game while I play a different game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

Get ready for the effort post that no one asked for,

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yo dawg I heard you like games

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

wuggles posted:

Personally I am pretty psyched about the opportunity to watch someone play a game while I play a different game

Definitely one of the categories where I did not ask “Who’s the audience?”, it’s like photos, a lot of people are really going to enjoy this as a feature. Hell, I do it right now, I just use two different devices when I do it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thats a fine effort post but demons souls will totally have activities its a launch sony game. Its going to have all the gimmicks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats a fine effort post but demons souls will totally have activities its a launch sony game. Its going to have all the gimmicks

Yeah but how does that fit into the game design? One of the core principles of the Souls games is that your character's situation is persistent and doesn't magically transform for non-diegetic reasons, you access virtually all its content through effortful and time-consuming game mechanics. If you saved the game in the middle of a level, literally your only option is to zone in right where you were and start walking; anything else would be a radical change from the original when the lack of that is supposed to be its main selling point.

They should definitely have every game help card just say "git gud" though

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Instead of bloody ghosts it will auto launch pic in pic video of the deaths.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bluepoint will do something fun they are very smart

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Instant screen sharing is incredibly useful, I can finally show my dumb friends what I'm yelling about and vice versa

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
in the demon souls remake instead of invading your game people will invade your controller and run you off a cliff

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

World of Final Fantasy has been much more enjoyable this time around than when I originally played it near launch. The biggest difference is this time I've skipped every cutscene so now all my time is spent leveling up chocobos and staring at the sphere grid

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
WoFF is a game I will probably like quite a bit once it's emulation-friendly and I can play it at 10x

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

WoFF is a game I will probably like quite a bit once it's emulation-friendly and I can play it at 10x

I misremembered that you could turn encounters off - I think someone tried to tell me in the RPG thread to just turn them off like three years ago and I said "there's no option for that" and so I assumed that added into the PC version or in the DLC but yeah, there is no disabling them. There's apparently a way to reduce the encounter rate via a skill, which I want very badly. Otherwise, I've got one monster that increases my attack for the first two turns of battle so I end up oneshotting most enemies and ending encounters fast enough that they aren't bothering me yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I rarely play a game without watching another game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

al-azad posted:

I rarely play a game without watching another game.

Same. Even now when I'm using my PC to render, I'm gonna use my phone to watch youtube/twitch poo poo for the next six hours while I do PS4 stuff. Otherwise, I've got a video going on my second monitor at all times. Including when I sleep. Sometimes two videos when I sleep.