Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

Is a private screening actually safe, or would the HVAC systems of movie theaters still make it a dangerous proposition?

No more dangerous than the office buildings a lot of us are still forced to go into every day. I wouldn't do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pirate Jet posted:

Is a private screening actually safe, or would the HVAC systems of movie theaters still make it a dangerous proposition?

Given what very little experience I have with how movie theaters are maintained fuuuuuuuck no

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

Given what very little experience I have with how movie theaters are maintained fuuuuuuuck no

:lmao:

My first job was in a theater.

There was a week where we had a sensor on the roof by some vent that set the fire alarm off several times a day, that was fun, kinda reminded me of the end of Alien when Ripley is preparing the ship for self destruction.

There was also some kind of vent in the room behind the concession stand, and one day the grille fell off, never to be seen again. That fucker had a ton of suction, and we spent a lot of time throwing things at it to see if it would suck it in. The answer was always yes, we did contemplate throwing the smallest employee at it often. No one knows where that vortex went to, but it sure pissed the GM off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

My first job was in a theater.

There was a week where we had a sensor on the roof by some vent that set the fire alarm off several times a day, that was fun, kinda reminded me of the end of Alien when Ripley is preparing the ship for self destruction.

There was also some kind of vent in the room behind the concession stand, and one day the grille fell off, never to be seen again. That fucker had a ton of suction, and we spent a lot of time throwing things at it to see if it would suck it in. The answer was always yes, we did contemplate throwing the smallest employee at it often. No one knows where that vortex went to, but it sure pissed the GM off.

Ahahaha yesssss :hfive:

The best was when Broad Street Cinema in Red Bank NJ still existed, the oil for their popcorn, it was just in drawer. Like a wooden set of drawers you would put clothing in in your bedroom. That type of drawers. One of the draws just filled to the brim with oil you would pull it out and close it, sloshing oil everywhere whenever it was needed.

It's the second Nitehawk Cinema location in Brooklyn now, but when it was the Pavillion, wooooo lmao. So like this was a pretty cool theater built in the 20s, but it was left in such disrepair that like there'd be like crap from above ceiling tiles falling on you as you watched a movie. In some screens you could literally see daylight/get rained on while seated. Just like, movietheater.txt every day

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 15, 2020

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Iron Crowned posted:

Did it ever go from suck to blow? :v:

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/TheRue/status/1317571150524735488

99.9% chance this is a commercial for something and not a movie or TV series, but i'll post it anyway

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
https://twitter.com/DaeSefasWhite/status/1317571084414185472
:iiam:

EDIT:

FoneBone posted:

99.9% chance this is a commercial for something and not a movie or TV series
Place your bets.
https://twitter.com/bcarter5465/status/1317869791529603080/
:iiaca:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 18, 2020

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Honestly the commercial will probably be better than the last two Die Hard movies

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Speaking of commercials, I've started seeing ads for Tenet in theatres on Youtube. Which isn't strange in and of itself, but I'm surprised they bothered to record voice lines for specific cities; this ad was like, "SEATTLE, the wait is over."

The wait will be longer if y'all don't quit with this nonsense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kFGGFI9Xo

:rolleyes:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, I'll give them some credit. Not too many companies would sign off on an ad showing someone assault a person with their product.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Thanks to who posted about how cheap a private showing is.

Going to see Beetlejuice on Halloween!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

i feel like there's a good movie about the destruction of bruce willis' career to be made.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Thanks to who posted about how cheap a private showing is.

Going to see Beetlejuice on Halloween!

You could just buy the fantastic 4k UHD for $24.99 and not put anyone at risk.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Plus you'd get collectable chalk!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

You could just buy the fantastic 4k UHD for $24.99 and not put anyone at risk.

Alternatively, you could just buy the fantastic 4k UHD for $24.99 and throw a massive Halloween party, throwing even more people at risk.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Snowman_McK posted:

i feel like there's a good movie about the destruction of bruce willis' career to be made.

Its not really a huge mystery. The guy is apparently a gigantic rear end in a top hat to work with.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its not really a huge mystery. The guy is apparently a gigantic rear end in a top hat to work with.

Not in the sense that it's a mystery, it's just an interesting, ongoing process. There isn't a clear demarcation between 'he has a career' and 'he does not' he continues to get good roles in good movies here and there, and then makes 8 lovely movies the next year opposite 50 cent or something.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll never get tired of hearing about him laying into Kevin Smith for not knowing basics about lenses.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Has he always been an rear end in a top hat? I know nowadays any movie he’s in, he’ll only be in shots where you need his face, anything else is body doubles. But was he a dick on, like Die Hard? The Sixth Sense? Unbreakable? I legit don’t know.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Enos Cabell posted:

I'll never get tired of hearing about him laying into Kevin Smith for not knowing basics about lenses.

Please tell me more about this, I haven't heard this and it sounds amazing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Here's a brief summation from http://moviemezzanine.com/kevin-smith-a-conversation/2/ I've heard Kevin Smith bring this up a few different times on various podcasts and he always comes across as the rear end in a top hat

quote:

There’s a story Smith tells on one of those DVDs where he talks for four hours—I kid, he’s a funny motherfucker who can spin a yarn—but this particular tale sent me through the roof. He’s talking about day on Cop Out when he was explaining the setup of a shot to Willis, who quite reasonably asked his director which millimeter lens was on the camera, so he could modulate his performance accordingly. Smith had no idea what lens he was using, and Willis blew up on him in front of everybody on the set.

Of course it was all framed as yet another story about how Bruce Willis is a huge rear end in a top hat (a topic Kevin Smith still brings up at the drop of a hat, and one that will probably come as an enormous surprise to anyone who has never, ever read a single thing about Bruce Willis going all the way back to Moonlighting in the 1980s), but in this case, I think the rear end in a top hat was right. You are directing a $40 million picture for a major studio with a huge movie star—you’re captain of an enormous ship, in other words—and you don’t even know your lenses? This was Smith’s ninth feature film; at what point does the aw-shucks, I’m-just-like-you-guys, know-nothing persona just stink of laziness?

tbf Bruce Willis is also undeniably an rear end in a top hat, but Smith deserved that one

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Has he always been an rear end in a top hat? I know nowadays any movie he’s in, he’ll only be in shots where you need his face, anything else is body doubles. But was he a dick on, like Die Hard? The Sixth Sense? Unbreakable? I legit don’t know.

Speaking of that, I was watching a video about that Seagal movie where he "fights" Mike Tyson (fight is in quotes because it was Tyson vs Seagal body double and vice versa) and they pointed out how in one shot you could actually see Seagal's body double, wearing the exact same outfit as him, just hanging out in the background.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

As the quote above mentions, there's stories all the way back to Moonlighting about him.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I mean, does the director really and truly need to know what lens is being used at all times, or should he be trusting his DP and cinematographer to choose the tools to achieve the look he (however lazily) wants? Not every director needs to have obsessive control over every aspect of a shoot, I think

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why doesn't a new Die Hard simply star Rumer?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ALFbrot posted:

I mean, does the director really and truly need to know what lens is being used at all times, or should he be trusting his DP and cinematographer to choose the tools to achieve the look he (however lazily) wants? Not every director needs to have obsessive control over every aspect of a shoot, I think

Kind of.

Maybe you don’t need to know the MM but at least be able to know if it’s going to be a wide lens or a close lens. Because that does kind of matter. The closer the shot, the more the actor needs to emote.

Be kinda dumb if they gave the performance of their career and it’s all down from a wide.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Kind of.

Maybe you don’t need to know the MM but at least be able to know if it’s going to be a wide lens or a close lens. Because that does kind of matter. The closer the shot, the more the actor needs to emote.

Be kinda dumb if they gave the performance of their career and it’s all down from a wide.

I, admittedly, have only ever heard the story paraphrased, and never heard it directly, but I was under the impression that he specifically was incensed about not knowing the actual mm length of the lens. I'm pretty confident Smith would've at least known if it was a long or medium lens, as he knew how he wanted it framed and could see where the camera was setting up. I may be wrong and don't feel it extremely necessary to go to bat for Kevin Smith any further.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It could’ve been that too. Idk. I wasn’t there. It’s also possible smith just hands over all visual duties to his DP and just focuses on the actors.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

wow, I knew those dicks down at AutoZone were devious but I never expected Advance Auto to hire Bruce Willis to try and get me to stop throwing car batteries into the ocean.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It wasn’t until Dogma that Smith even figured out how to move the camera.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This is floating around as the supposed Space Jam 2 plot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That sounds like Ralph Breaks The Internet.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So what I'm reading is, is that Warner Brothers wanted their own version of Ready Player One.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tars Tarkas posted:

This is floating around as the supposed Space Jam 2 plot

Space Jam 2: They Never Go To Space

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

From what I heard, he started to become an rear end in a top hat after Die Hard made it big while he was still on Moonlighting. He immediately started thinking the show was beneath him and treated Cybill Shepherd like crap for her "laziness"

Enos Cabell posted:

Here's a brief summation from http://moviemezzanine.com/kevin-smith-a-conversation/2/ I've heard Kevin Smith bring this up a few different times on various podcasts and he always comes across as the rear end in a top hat

tbf Bruce Willis is also undeniably an rear end in a top hat, but Smith deserved that one

Yeah, I love that story because Smith accuses Willis of being an rear end in a top hat diva while Willis accuses Smith of being an incompetent lazy stoner. Usually you'd doubt both of them but in this case, both are 100% right.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Space Jam 2: They Never Go To Space

Cyberspace Jam

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vandar posted:

So what I'm reading is, is that Warner Brothers wanted their own version of Ready Player One.

Sounds like the NBA wants that.

Boy, China is going to love this movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That synopsis sounds loving terrible and also like it has very little to do with basketball.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action was always the better movie anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wait until the ending which set up the sequel, as Lebron is forced to use the Chaos Dunk.