Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There was some discussion in the Woodworking thread recently about this guy's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JXZSzSm8AlZyD3nQdBA
(Turn on captions and he does a little explaining)

This guy's channel is more colonial/early america but also really great:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr2d4As312LulcajAkKJYw

I thought it was interesting discussion and something I am interested in so chat about it here I guess. I can't be bothered to write a mega-OP about something I don't know much about so, I guess the rule is no electricity and no internal combustion engines? (Steam engines are rad and always allowed). Survivalism/homesteading/living off-grid, all that stuff is welcome here.

I do some hand tool woodworking and have always been very interested in early industrial/pre-industrial crafts and would love to learn more about that stuff. I could spend weeks at colonial williamsburg kind of places.

Anyway, I really want to go dig a hole in the ground and dig some clay and make some little pots and build a kiln and stuff. Some of my favorite woodworking times have been out in the woods with a sharp axe or hatchet making walking sticks and mauls and dumb little lean-to's and now I think I'm gonna add 'mud' to my list of materials.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Check out my kick rear end bit brace! I donno how old it is, I assume pretty old. I found it in a pawn shop for $5. I never use a power drill when this will do that job. It just so fun, I don't know why we invented power drills (I do know, its because the bit brace is hard work :v:)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Townsends is extremely my jam, although I do tend to follow the cooking videos more than the crafting videos.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Check out my kick rear end bit brace! I donno how old it is, I assume pretty old. I found it in a pawn shop for $5. I never use a power drill when this will do that job. It just so fun, I don't know why we invented power drills (I do know, its because the bit brace is hard work :v:)

I have an enormous one of those, I think it's hanging on the back wall of the shed next to the 7 foot 2-person tree saw. I forget what I drilled with it, but I distinctly remember my biceps feeling like I 'd gotten 15 tetanus shots in each the next day and then went to Home Depot and bought a Dewalt corded drill.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This guy is the ultimate in off-grid wood working, Dick Proenneke. The man backpacked into the Alaskan wilderness with nothing but hand tools and a rifle and built himself a log cabin from scratch.

Here he is carving the handles for all of his hand tools (why carry heavy handles? :v:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG3fUIoXQ5A&t=333s

Dick Proennekes bush sawmill. Making flat boards from a tree with hand tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTHLpA4267Q&t=36s

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi thread! I don't really do a lot of primitive stuff yet, but I got the bug and watch a lot of Alone in the Wilderness.

I know Dick Pronneke and raise you 42 years away from civilization: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lykov_family, though the Lykovs were a lot less crafty.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Stone Age to Iron Age, bootstraping yourself to iron tools using a stick and a rock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmknPnU5QNs&t=562s

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Prepping a log by hand, medieval swedish method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DD5NQ1L7c

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Prepping a log by hand, medieval swedish method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DD5NQ1L7c

Wow now I feel like a sucker for buying a draw knife. Just do it all with your axe! :doh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I do viking markets, and I gotta say everyone uses their hand ax for about 80% of tasks, more if they're drunk.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like how the resonant pitch ofthe log creeps up through the video

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I've recently started putting together an intentionally minimalist set of greenwood tools, primarily focused on Sloyd (mostly bowls and spoons), and ideally portable so I can easily take it along on trips to see relatives in the mountains during the summer.

I'm using Country Woodcraft (Langster) and Slöjd in Wood (Sundqvist) as my primary sources for tool lists. Unfortunately unlike furniture making, I don't have any real experience in this realm so it is less clear which tools are truly critical for a minimalist set.

Anyone have any experience in Sloyd or Greenwood? Right now I'm at:

Robin Wood Carving Axe
Robin Wood Woodland Axe
Ray Isles Whittling Knife
Ray Isles Traditional Spoon Knife (right and left)
Ray Isles Small Froe
Pfiel Gouges (5L-35, 5L-16, 8L-25, 8L-13, 9-10, 12-6)
Veritas Apron Plane (Small Block Plane)
Stanley 28 (Transitional Fore Plane)
Silky Woodboy Folding Kataba
Silky Pocketboy Folding Pruning Saw

I still need to add a brace and bits, along with a mallet and/or my crucible lump hammer.

I've also already likely blown past "minimal"

Anything I'm obviously missing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got zero experience in Sloyd or Greenwood. But: Something to sharpen with? I think the primitive approach was just hand stones of various natural grits. Might bring something for finishes, too, some kinda wax?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ahh yeah, fair, I left those out. Folks in that world seem to largely be sandpaper based with sharpening (this fits how I do my current woodworking sharpening as well). Finishes will probably be drier-free BLO and wax, good call.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking this week about buying a froe.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CommonShore posted:

I've been thinking this week about buying a froe.

I'm pretty sure the small one I got is not going to have been a good purchase, based on what I've read and seen since then. The Langster froe from Lie Nielsen (or a similarly sized antique) is likely what you'll need.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

I'm pretty sure the small one I got is not going to have been a good purchase, based on what I've read and seen since then. The Langster froe from Lie Nielsen (or a similarly sized antique) is likely what you'll need.

I've been eyeing up the one from Lee Valley, which is about the same size as the Langster from what I see

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/log-building-tools/67231-shingle-and-riving-froe?item=09A0905

I want to use mine for making planks. How small is your "too small" froe?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 27, 2021

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CommonShore posted:

I've been eyeing up the one from Lee Valley, which is about the same size as the Langster from what I see

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/log-building-tools/67231-shingle-and-riving-froe?item=09A0905

I want to use mine for making planks. How small is your "too small" froe?

The blade on mine is only about 6" or so, so it'll only be useful for things like thin spindles and maybe spoon blanks based on what I've seen in videos. It's what TFWW had in stock when I ordered my spoon knives so I bought it thinking it might be useful, and because I'm putting effort into making a "small portable toolkit" for greenwood. However as I've ingested more info, I think everything I can do with this froe could likely also just be accomplished with my axe.

The Lee Valley one looks appropriately sized for doing all sorts of riving work. Fwiw I've seen folks splitting the tiny stuff with big froes, but never the reverse.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

The blade on mine is only about 6" or so, so it'll only be useful for things like thin spindles and maybe spoon blanks based on what I've seen in videos. It's what TFWW had in stock when I ordered my spoon knives so I bought it thinking it might be useful, and because I'm putting effort into making a "small portable toolkit" for greenwood. However as I've ingested more info, I think everything I can do with this froe could likely also just be accomplished with my axe.

The Lee Valley one looks appropriately sized for doing all sorts of riving work. Fwiw I've seen folks splitting the tiny stuff with big froes, but never the reverse.

Yeah from what I'm seeing about froe use it's p.much the length of the blade is your limiting factor. I think I saw one dude rive 32 shakes out of one log once with a froe that was shorter than the log's diameter, but maybe only by an inch or two, and that was when I was just starting to get into this stuff so I can't remember for sure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I'm going to actually order a froe from this company

http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/specialized_access.html

Mostly for the sake of ordering from a smaller/independent and Canadian company

Also because the Lee Valley froes are out of stock for at least another month and I want to froe as soon as I can.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

I think I'm going to actually order a froe from this company

http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/specialized_access.html

Mostly for the sake of ordering from a smaller/independent and Canadian company

Also because the Lee Valley froes are out of stock for at least another month and I want to froe as soon as I can.

I have a Lee Valley froe and I don't really like it. Made in China and it has a sort of rounded taper to it like an axe or kitchen knife, and I think it supposed to be a straight taper like a wedge.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have a Lee Valley froe and I don't really like it. Made in China and it has a sort of rounded taper to it like an axe or kitchen knife, and I think it supposed to be a straight taper like a wedge.

good to know!

Primitive/Off-grid DIY: Know your froe

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Straight or very slight rounded taper (convex) is what you want for a woodworking axe or hewing axe, heavily convex profiles are for splitting axes. I grind my axes for woodworking either with a very slight hollow ground bevel (50cm grinding wheel) which is then honed. Or I use the belt grinder which gives a slightly convex profile. Could also give a straight profile but I tend to use the portion without any backing plate for the final polish,

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 2, 2021

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is this our catchall thread for rustic/antique hand tool woodwork too? If yes, what is everyone's thoughts on building a workbench? I'm pretty attracted to the English Joiners style bench but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll post some pics of my axe/axe heads and some of my other tools later too. Can't wait to restore them all :v: got a phantom bevelled 3.5lbs Jersey head I'm really looking forward to hanging.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Mederlock posted:

Is this our catchall thread for rustic/antique hand tool woodwork too? If yes, what is everyone's thoughts on building a workbench? I'm pretty attracted to the English Joiners style bench but I'm open to other suggestions. I'll post some pics of my axe/axe heads and some of my other tools later too. Can't wait to restore them all :v: got a phantom bevelled 3.5lbs Jersey head I'm really looking forward to hanging.

Hand tool cabinet/furniture making is covered heavily in the woodworking thread, but that also spans hybrid and power tools.

I was sorta trying to drive this thread to a greenwood/sloyd focus personally, but I would imagine everything from coopering to log-structures to solar kilns would be valid here.

As for your workbench question, I'm a big proponent of the Roubo style for cabinetmaking, but acknowledge the Nicholson/English style is easier to build and move on to making furniture.

For greenwood you are usually looking at a low-bench, and/or a shavehorse (check out Tim Manney's work there, very adaptable platform). If you get into Windsor chairs the folks in that world also tend to make a taller bench for working on seats specifically, usually with a lot shorter in length than a cabinetmaker's bench.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mederlock posted:

Yeah you might get more responses on a lot of that stuff in the woodworking thread, but feel free to talk about it here too if you prefer. ColdPie has a thread going where he is building stuff with hand tools only that may also be of interest.

I didn’t really have a goal for this thread but if there’s a rule (there isn’t) it’s ‘no electricity that comes from power lines’ or something. If you want to talk about your homemade steam engine dynamo or solar powered well or whatever that’s cool and awesome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I post in this thread when I'm wondering about stuff that could be done out in the woods. I post in the other thread when I'm wondering about stuff that pretty much has to be done in a workshop, regardless of electricity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Solar is just wireless nuclear power.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been watching 'Victorian Farm' on prime and the narration is a little overdramatic but there are some really cool old farm machines and watching a babby sheep get born was neat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok my froe arrived (went with Lee Valley -it's fine though the handle isn't seating very well so I have to keep pounding it back in and I might make a new one before too long) and I've rived some stuff - including using it to make a new head for my Paul Sellers mallet out of an elm log that someone gave me. I also made a mortised aspen bench by splitting a log and making the legs out of the opposite face.

And it's warm enough to hang around outside and watch b-league MMA on my laptop while wood working. So this means it's primitive DIY season.

My new tool that I'm seeking obsessively on used lists is an adze (I'd really like a bowl adze tbh), but those fuckers are a bit pricey. I have a ton of old junky tools around, including the broken heads of several axes and hatchets for which I haven't gotten around to making new heads. Are there any good ways to DIY an adze by somehow seating a blade differnetly onto a home-made handle? Everything I see just looks like it would instantly split.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CommonShore posted:

My new tool that I'm seeking obsessively on used lists is an adze (I'd really like a bowl adze tbh), but those fuckers are a bit pricey. I have a ton of old junky tools around, including the broken heads of several axes and hatchets for which I haven't gotten around to making new heads. Are there any good ways to DIY an adze by somehow seating a blade differnetly onto a home-made handle? Everything I see just looks like it would instantly split.

I'm on multiple blacksmith waitlists because I too need an adze, as for making your own without forging, Tim Manney no longer makes his, but it was highly regarded and sought after when he did, and would be the direction I would start off in.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've got a local Twin Cities blacksmith who has made two things for me in a very timely manner (planing stop and a pair of door pulls). He mostly does decorative work, but might do tools. If you want, PM me and I'll point you to his website.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Post in the blacksmithing thread, too; there's maybe goons in there who would take the job.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

GEMorris posted:

I'm on multiple blacksmith waitlists because I too need an adze, as for making your own without forging, Tim Manney no longer makes his, but it was highly regarded and sought after when he did, and would be the direction I would start off in.

well THAT is super cool. I might try something like that to take an orphaned hatchet head (of which I have 2 or 3) and seat it on a handle.

e. what I'm thinking about doing is (re)grinding one of these cheap hatchet heads to be single bevel on a curved face, drilling through the side, countersinking it, and then using something similar to that design to mount it to a handle. What is wrong with this plan?

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 3, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

A mattock would work, you can just sharpen the blade.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Mine is very soft steel that won't really hold a good edge. I think you'd want something with good high carbon steel welded on the edge.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Mine is very soft steel that won't really hold a good edge. I think you'd want something with good high carbon steel welded on the edge.

True, true. I don't know what the fuckin poo poo a bowl adze is, but if they don't *need* that, then a broad axe would work too. Assuming they're trying to square off some logs or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

True, true. I don't know what the fuckin poo poo a bowl adze is, but if they don't *need* that, then a broad axe would work too. Assuming they're trying to square off some logs or something.

A bowl adze has a curved cutting edge for hollowing things out

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got no mattock wisdom, I just want to compliment your Wesley Willis av :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tias posted:

I got no mattock wisdom, I just want to compliment your Wesley Willis av :getin:

Thanks! :hf: that was my screen name for most of my time here but decided to change for a bit.

Planning on changing back in a few months.