Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Ceci has damaged Micah

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1317862449522135040?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I remember that being a cool part of the John Scott story, where he was like "I've busted my rear end to play in the NHL for 10 years and I'm proud of it. I'm going to the All Star game."

Turns out, trying to get someone not to do an event by saying “why would your kids think?” Isn’t a great way to change their mind.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

Cody Ceci and Jack Johnson have both led the league in on-ice goals against in the last decade. What other seven players have led the league, since the 2010-11 season? Two did it twice, one was part of a two-way tie with his teammate.

Sbisa? Del Zotto?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Turns out, trying to get someone not to do an event by saying “why would your kids think?” Isn’t a great way to change their mind.

There’s a bunch of events where that would probably work. Most of them would involve shady and criminal activity though and not one where the kids are 100% thinking “Awesome! Can I come too?”

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Zodijackylite posted:

Cody Ceci and Jack Johnson have both led the league in on-ice goals against in the last decade. What other seven players have led the league, since the 2010-11 season? Two did it twice, one was part of a two-way tie with his teammate.

Show me Dion Phaneuf.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So I did my best to follow along, and I think the gist of it is that Micah's trying to defend his isolated impact model after having lots of (presumably Pens and Leafs fans) point out that Ceci's charts look very different from his Sens years to his Leafs year. Which kind of defeats the purpose of those charts.

So basically Ceci's tenure in Ottawa is characterized by some positive offensive seasons and bad to incredibly awful defensive numbers. With the Leafs Ceci's numbers flip, all of a sudden he has very negative offensive impact but the defensive zone is now a positive.

Micah breaks this down as: Ceci absolutely sucks with the puck on his stick, but has an ok shot (historically anyway lol) and generally looks ok off the puck. On Ottawa he had a rough cast of linemates, on Toronto he played mostly with Morgan Rielly. He explains the discrepancy as the result of the Leafs regroup system allowing Rielly to basically always be the guy making plays, taking away Ceci's biggest weakness and allowing him to only do what he does best which is skate around and be big. In Ottawa Ceci had to try to create offense, and while he got some the result was a lot of turnovers and getting caved.

So the argument is that Ceci as a player didn't change, but the coaching staff changed his on-ice role in such a way that totally flip his impact. Micah's model is faithfully showing the results of that change in role, so there's nothing wrong with it.

I take issue with that conclusion, because if the point of player isolation charts is to tell us who somebody is outside of linemates this fails because it's Ceci's linemate that allowed for his change in role and the difference in numbers. I know there's nothing his model can really do about that, but it validates my suspicion that isolation models don't actually do what people think they do, especially with defensemen.

Also his defensive impact being positive on the Leafs in the first place is questionable IMO, because even though overall threat is down the threat is still above average on his side, particularly near the crease, but that's another discussion.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I lost the thread early, I just thought it was funny how many brains Ceci breaks

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Twin Cinema posted:

Lebda has to be on there.

Brett Lebda retired in 2012, but was never on the ice for more than 36 goals against in a year.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Sbisa? Del Zotto?

Sbisa topped out at 77 goals against in 2014-15 with Vancouver, when he played 18:47 in 76 games, for a total of 1427 minutes. The leader that year was Jack Johnson, at 109 goals against.

Del Zotto peaked at 98 against in 2017-18, also for Vancouver, when he played 20:48 per night for all 82 games, 1706 minutes total. Cody Ceci was tied for the lead that year with 121.

Hand Knit posted:

Show me Dion Phaneuf.

He led the league in 2008-09 with 122 total goals against, and eclipsed 100 twice in the last decade, so he's a good pick, but falls outside of the last decade.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Brooks Orpik?

Dennis Wideman?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/hlundqvist30/status/1317872465469755392?s=21

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Are Ceci and Karlsson the teammates?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
In general I assume big minute defensemen are going to lead in Goals Against in any given season.

I would throw guesses for Doughty and Ristolainen

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Zodijackylite posted:

Brett Lebda retired in 2012, but was never on the ice for more than 36 goals against in a year.

The legacy of Lebda in my brain has him playing a lot more than he actually did. I can't believe he's been out of the league for 8 years.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

This is so weirrrrdddddd

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not that weird, MSG changed locations 3 times and Hank is old enough to have played in all of them.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewRaycroft/status/1317957057627279361

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
gonna guess the pair is a colorado pair. Barrie?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Zodijackylite posted:

The Senators had a really bad defense forever, I'm gonna guess Karlsson and Methot.

Also, uh, Brent Seabrook and uh, Yandle maybe?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

:smith:

Hey I bought NHL21 for ps4 after 7 years away from the EA franchise. Is there a thread on here for it? Does anyone want to play Be A Pro with me?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ripped-knee jeans are still a thing?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
This year's guy has got to be on Detroit. So like Green or Hronek probably.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

FBS posted:

If it's good enough for The King, it's good enough for anyone

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

FBS posted:

If anyone can pull it off it's Hank.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

sportsgenius86 posted:

Are Ceci and Karlsson the teammates?

Correct.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

This year's guy has got to be on Detroit. So like Green or Hronek probably.

Hronek was this year's worst.

There's still six seasons to guess!

2010-11: ???, EDM (117)
2011-12: ???, TBL (119)
2012-13: ???, CGY (70)
2013-14: Erik Karlsson, OTT (117)
2014-15: Jack Johnson, CBJ (109)
2015-16: ???, CGY (117)
2016-17: ???, ARI (113)
2017-18: Cody Ceci and Erik Karlsson, OTT (121)
2018-19: ???, PHI (129)
2019-20: Filip Hronek, DET (117)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

2016-17: ???, ARI (113)
2017-18: Cody Ceci and Erik Karlsson, OTT (121)
2018-19: ???, PHI (129)

OEL and Ghost bear?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

2012-13: ???, CGY (70)

Bouwmeester?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bregor posted:

Bouwmeester?

I’m guessing the two Calgary’s are the same person based on the clue so I’m thinking it’s Giordano.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

what do you guys think giordano's favourite craft beer is?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Only defenseman I can remember from that 11/12 Tampa team is Eric Brewer but I doubt it was him. Was Hedman drafted that year or the year after?

e: Edmonton might be Smid? When did he get traded to Calgary?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 19, 2020

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportswatch/status/1318147615612149760

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Always liked Doc, cant blame him in this Covid environment. He probably felt obligated to finish out last season or he would’ve left when Covid hit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

There is nothing Emrick hasn’t done on behalf of hockey, including becoming the founder of the NHL’s increasingly valued NHL [players’] Pronunciation Guide, and never turning down an interview request including — and especially — from high school kids who aspire to careers in broadcasting.

On a personal, off-air basis, Emrick is the ultimate mensch. A deacon in the Methodist Church, his gentle sense of humor and unyielding patience and respect for all creates envy for a life well-lived, with plenty left to give.

Mushnick's a whole drat lot of things, few of them good, but he is absolutely correct on everything here. Doc is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. He came back to Bowling Green a few years ago for the hockey team's 50th Anniversary game, calling it on the student radio station just like he'd done in his very first broadcast. He got there hours early and was happy to chat to anybody in the press box, most of which were students just getting their feet wet in the broadcast world. He was happy to answer any of the questions, gave advice, was super encouraging to the kids.

I was there on play-by-play for local television and got a few minutes to catch up with him, and everything about the guy was incredibly genuine. Very humble and nice guy who clearly loves what he does, and clearly had a soft spot for his early days of college college and minor league sports. Guy just radiates happiness.

This is where I also mention that yes, I could probably fit him in my pocket. He's standing 2 steps higher than me in that photo. He is not a large man.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ah man that sucks, Doc is great. I had no idea he was as old as 74. Whoever replaces him will have big shoes to fill.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
is gary thorne still alive?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Thats a bummer, I like Doc.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Doc Emerick Waffleboards away from hockey and makes a fire wagon change to clinch his retirement !

Yeah, I was always a fan. Good timing, he both deserves it, and with Corona he should be staying home (safety wise).

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Always liked Doc, cant blame him in this Covid environment. He probably felt obligated to finish out last season or he would’ve left when Covid hit.

Same. Doc had his faults but I always enjoyed the knowledge and enthusiasm he brought to the sport. Gonna miss him :smith:

bewbies posted:

is gary thorne still alive?

He does Orioles games I think, which is why no one's seen or heard from him in years. :v:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
My takeaway from the Micah diatribe is that Cody Ceci sucks outside of a very limited set of circumstances where he needs his partner to massively make up for his deficiencies and because of the lack of puck skills he is the type of player that has been and will continue to be phased out from the NHL. This is where I get annoyed that Stetcher received only slightly more money and an extra year, but is a significantly less limited player. Thanks GM JR. Great job.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Thorne's on O's broadcasts now and seems pretty happy to just stay to baseball. Gary's 72 himself and I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to deal with a national hockey broadcast schedule and travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Kris Russell has to be one of those "worst defencemen in the league" guys.