Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sedisp posted:

Haven't seen a list that isn't running four of the fetch karns minimum

The event deck does not have Karns in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Insurrectionist posted:

I just finished some premier draft game and got a weird black card thing with 4 set symbols at the bottom as a reward together with my gold and xp, sadly didn't think to screenshot it. What is that thing? Hovering over it didn't tell me anything.

That's the card sleeve you earn from level 31 of the Zendikar set mastery even if you didn't buy the pass.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing standard Gruul right now watch out.

Turn on full control if you intend to crack a fetch in combat with Brushfire Elementa. I just lost a game because the game didn't give me a chance to crack an Evolving Wilds before damage. File it away in the same mental space as holding priority with Skirk Prospector with nothing castable in hand.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m not sure if they adjusted it in the last patch but I’ve lost three games of brawl in the last 24 hours because of the auto tapper going as far out of its way as possible to gently caress me over. it’s like it’s actively calculating the playable spells in my hand and how to keep me from casting them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not sure if they adjusted it in the last patch but I’ve lost three games of brawl in the last 24 hours because of the auto tapper going as far out of its way as possible to gently caress me over. it’s like it’s actively calculating the playable spells in my hand and how to keep me from casting them.
I have taken to manually tapping for mana if there is any way that the auto-tapper could gently caress me up at all. I have had so many games where it taps phyrexian tower for colorless for no other reason than to gently caress up my ability to sac poo poo, or taps all of my red despite having a claim the firstborn in hand, or a dozen other "no one would ever do this or want to do this, why are you?" fuckups. Why can't they just code in "tap basics instead of nonbasics all the time" for the auto-tapper?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They updated it a bit back to try to keep as many colors as possible open on top of the other stuff it tries to do so it probably just needs another whack of the hammer to consider phyrexian tower as a last resort

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bust Rodd posted:

The most beautiful deck I have seen in like 3 years

Is this... a fun standard deck that is good?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
G/W tap-out control has been my favorite archetype since I was like a 9 year old opening up Portal boosters. It’s a really cool deck but I am obviously struggling against Embercleave. I feel like any red deck I play against either draws their cleave and beats me or they don’t and they never have a chance in hell.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 18, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like any red deck I play against either draws their cleave and beats me or they don’t and they never have a chance in hell.

yeah that sounds like embercleave

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flatluigi posted:

They updated it a bit back to try to keep as many colors as possible open on top of the other stuff it tries to do so it probably just needs another whack of the hammer to consider phyrexian tower as a last resort

This makes sense given that I've had 3 or 4 games in the past few days where the autotapper would use GG to play a Scooze, leaving me with red mana open despite having no red spells in hand, when I was expecting it to use RG so that I could use the activation twice.

Definitely feels like a step backwards from how reliable it was up until recently.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

guys

i hosed up
i hosed up so bad

I got p1p1 and p1p2 Roil Eruption, so I assumed Red was open (it was) and was eyeing R/G landfall stuff.... then warriors was open super super late so I figured I'd pivot into R/G party/warriors. But now my deck is torn in two pieces. Which do I go with?
Right now I'm running 7 mountain, 7 Forest, 1 plains (between the green Lay of the Land and the red 2-mana stone rain, I figure I'll be able to tutor it up when I draw one of the lords)

Also cinderclasm seems good since most everything in my deck is big butts?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mat Cauthon posted:

This makes sense given that I've had 3 or 4 games in the past few days where the autotapper would use GG to play a Scooze, leaving me with red mana open despite having no red spells in hand, when I was expecting it to use RG so that I could use the activation twice.

Definitely feels like a step backwards from how reliable it was up until recently.

I think it stemmed from the complaints people were having about it tapping the only color you had available and then you drawing into a card you would've been able to play if it hadn't

obviously the game didn't know you were *going* to have that card (it could but that'd be leaky knowledge that people could probably hack out of the game), but there's nothing it can really do otherwise than try to preserve as many colors you have as possible

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Usually it feels like I have two sets of standard decks - real decks and the goofy decks I use in Play queue. Now it feels like it's just one pile. Like, my mono-green deck looks a lot more "real" than the thread-inspired Ageless Insight pile, or the GB Foodventures I'm messing with... but I think they all have similar win rates.

I'm sure some more solid tiers will crop up over time, but standard feels more open than any standard I remember.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

witchy posted:

Put battle of wits in Jumpstart 2 cowards

"Why is one of these booster packs eight times the size of the others?"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My poor loving opponent just now attacked with an unblocked Windrobber but then accidentally played Zareth San normally :lol: Then they kept hovering over the Elspeth I had in my graveyard while spamming "Oops" before exploding.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Insurrectionist posted:

I just finished some premier draft game and got a weird black card thing with 4 set symbols at the bottom as a reward together with my gold and xp, sadly didn't think to screenshot it. What is that thing? Hovering over it didn't tell me anything.

It's a sleeve.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

My poor loving opponent just now attacked with an unblocked Windrobber but then accidentally played Zareth San normally :lol: Then they kept hovering over the Elspeth I had in my graveyard while spamming "Oops" before exploding.

Can I just say how demoralizing those UB standard decks are though? They usually have a Drown in the Loch online by turn 2 from knocking a couple cards into your grave turn 1, then a couple turns later they're drawing 4 from Into the Story. It feels like a more bonkers mono-u except it's in standard. I even did an ultimate with Liliana to animate one of their creatures on each of my turns but they still decked me with that loving crab.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The deck variety in that tournament the selesnya yorion deck is from is great:
https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/cfb-pro-showdown-october-channelfireball-tournament-67471

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Insurrectionist posted:

Other people have answered this already but I just want to throw in that I was similarly confused when I got it. You are not alone.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Could someone explain to me how my opponent has more than 4 dualcaster mages? Tutored for them with neoform. In a previous game they pulled 8 from their deck.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TipTow posted:

Could someone explain to me how my opponent has more than 4 dualcaster mages? Tutored for them with neoform. In a previous game they pulled 8 from their deck.

Neostorm runs 4 glasspool mimics.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TipTow posted:

Some of them are glasspool mimics. If you right click on the card, and then click underneath it when it pops up - the thing that says "show original card" or something similar, you'd see them as the glasspool mimics.

You're playing against Neoform.
https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/deck-highlight-stiggys-historic-neoform-combo/

Weird how you didn't see the mimic come into play as the mimic, but maybe it does that to re-enforce that the mimic gets to copy etb triggers too. (also the card says it enters the battlefield as a copy of a card, so that's that. RTCETC.)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Some of them are glasspool mimics. If you right click on the card, and then click underneath it when it pops up - the thing that says "show original card" or something similar, you'd see them as the glasspool mimics.

You're playing against Neoform.
https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/mtg/channelmagic-articles/deck-highlight-stiggys-historic-neoform-combo/

Weird how you didn't see the mimic come into play as the mimic, but maybe it does that to re-enforce that the mimic gets to copy etb triggers too. (also the card says it enters the battlefield as a copy of a card, so that's that. RTCETC.)

Thanks, that makes sense. I know my opponent wasn't cheating, one of the virtues of Arena, but yeah, it never showed them as mimics, and was wondering "what the gently caress!?" as I rage conceded.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This might have not been the best deck (6-3) but man it just went crazy sometimes.

Highlight was picking off four Scute Swarms in one turn, leaving my opponent with one in hand and I have two charged amulets left in case that one comes back. They scooped.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Welp after climbing as high as #28 a few days ago I am now back in the 1400s. Basically haven't won since I lost to Nassif on his stream. Cool while it lasted, guess it's time to go back to loving around with jank in the percentages

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
God I hate the mana base in standard. It's incredibly frustrating to play a two color aggressive deck when your odds of curving out 1-2-3 with untapped lands are so low. Plus getting two pips of both colors before 4 is impossible without cipt lands, defeating the purpose, and if your colors even have access to the dfc lands you still have so much less flexibility than when we had even one of checks and shocks. Can we get fast lands or something next set?

Every time I have a horrible curve due to cipt lands I feel I'm being pushed into playing boring monocolor aggro or boring three color control.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

God I hate the mana base in standard. It's incredibly frustrating to play a two color aggressive deck when your odds of curving out 1-2-3 with untapped lands are so low. Plus getting two pips of both colors before 4 is impossible without cipt lands, defeating the purpose, and if your colors even have access to the dfc lands you still have so much less flexibility than when we had even one of checks and shocks. Can we get fast lands or something next set?

Every time I have a horrible curve due to cipt lands I feel I'm being pushed into playing boring monocolor aggro or boring three color control.

You can play two colour aggro, you just have to be very careful about double pip cards, because the pathways are really good at single pip colour spells, but they are horrible for double pip cards.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Feels like everybody is pre-boarding against Rakdos right now. Wish I had another deck to play that felt strong. I'd move to bo3 but I feel like other people can hate out Rakdos easier than it can hate out the world.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I kinda want to see a list I saw earlier on in that tournament, it didn't make top 16 but it was doing some really interesting things with Vivien, like down-ticking to cast beanstalk giant and searching for terror of the peaks to immediately dome the opponent for 8-10 damage

Its a pretty great to see a top 8 with 7 different decks in it though

edit: 1 rogue deck in the top 32, 2 rakdos midrange. Some really out-there deck choices. Also single elimination and open registration to CFB customers, so it might not be the most competitive tournament. Weirdly enough a guy in the top 64 somehow had an Omnath deck, and there were 267 people in the tournament to start with, so he made it a couple rounds.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 19, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Magic Underwear posted:

Be nice if the full cycle of painlands was in every core set but I'm sure they have some contrived reason for not reprinting those into Standard.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sounds like ya'll should play Historic

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got two separate shame concedes from two different opponents who both made the same exact play... mutating a Gemrazer onto one of their creatures that I hit with Heliod's Punishment, trying to remove the Heliod's Punishment:

Heliod's Punishment removes all abilities so there's no mutate to mutate with

Eej posted:

Sounds like ya'll should play Historic

Yes, yes I should. Also "Play" is real good for getting Turn 3 daily wins wins with Kiln Fiend.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Is there a decent humans deck in historic?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
I'm probably just done with Rakdos for now. I'm not sure if it's possible to improve its matchup vs Yorion decks any further, it's just so lopsided when W have so much efficient answers vs Rakdos with Glass Casket/Skyclave Apparition exiling almost everything in your deck if you try to go under, and Elspeth Conquers Death for everything else if you try to go over.

And that doesn't count the Bant Variant in which they run 4x Trail of Crumbs as well. Hell I don't think U is even needed for these Yorion piles, they hardly run counters & maybe only really need Omen of the Sea. Dream Trawlers too I guess.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

srulz posted:

I'm probably just done with Rakdos for now. I'm not sure if it's possible to improve its matchup vs Yorion decks any further, it's just so lopsided when W have so much efficient answers vs Rakdos with Glass Casket/Skyclave Apparition exiling almost everything in your deck if you try to go under, and Elspeth Conquers Death for everything else if you try to go over.

And that doesn't count the Bant Variant in which they run 4x Trail of Crumbs as well. Hell I don't think U is even needed for these Yorion piles, they hardly run counters & maybe only really need Omen of the Sea. Dream Trawlers too I guess.

Been having the same problem. I'm trying to see if I can get Doom Foretold and Mazemind Tome to merge with the shell but man the mana is baaaaad

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Been having the same problem. I'm trying to see if I can get Doom Foretold and Mazemind Tome to merge with the shell but man the mana is baaaaad

https://mtgdecks.net/Standard/mardu-yorion-decklist-by-akio-matsuzaki-1048038

This Mardu yorion pile runs both, had a couple of games with it this morning and its a lot of fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Where's the 'no, opponent, please don't break my 9-win streak' emoji?

Especially not with rogue-mill :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yorion and Kroxa def. seem like the strongest build-arounds atm, but the format keeps changing.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The strongest build around in standard is extinction event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I wish the strongest build around was mountain