Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Gearman posted:

Just got my GMMK White Ice and I love it. I have some Zealios and Glorious Panda switches on the way because the Gateron Browns that come with the board don't have quite enough bump for me. That said, I had some minor trouble with the software, but a reboot fixed it. Lot of RGB customization if that's your thing, though I just keep it off or at a low intensity white. Looks really nice with the rest of my build.

I bet that looks sick. I could only get a black one but been tempted to try and paint it white. The RGB is really good, but I’m tempted to go for a more subtle look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Still haven't received my durgod fusion. :/ Guess I'll do a chargeback soon.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 18, 2020

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

ihatepants posted:

This sold out really fast for the first drop, too. Managed to get a white and clear acrylic case this time. I still have yet to put together the black v1.

Edit: 2nd half of drop is at 6am Pacific Time tomorrow.

I got one as well, I'm super excited to learn how to solder so I can use it! I think they sold out of 250 in like 24 minutes as well which is crazy.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
The Durgod came today. I love it. I love keyboards. I get it. I totally get it now. I want more keyboards. This is amazing. I want more.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This is the exact opposite of what I wanted :cry:

Well, you asked for it. The Lumina was supposed to be a 60% keyboard with a Corian case. They promised several different styles and colors of case, plus choice of acrylic or brass base. The group buy started in 2018, and I placed an order in August of that year. Delivery was estimated for February 2019.

That never happened. The group buy runner was very vague with details and delayed with updates. From what little others could finally figure out, it sounds like he mismanaged the group buy and lost a lot of money trying to find a manufacturer to produce the orders. He then started other one-off projects to try to raise money for the original group buy, but surprise surprise he still couldn't manage the money and manufacturing. More money was lost, more projects never delivered, and finally in the middle of 2020 another person in the community got him to legally sign over the group buy. Now the plan is to find a new manufacturer and ask anyone who still wants something resembling the original product to chip in some more money to get a basic version of the keyboard. Refunds are completely out of the question by now, so there goes ~$300 with nothing to show for it.

And guess who's still following this dumb poo poo? :negative:

Holy crap that absolutely horrible... poo poo like this makes even Drop look great by comparison.

Hope it still works out in a way you get a keeb out of it.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Folks I have a problem with my Durgod Fusion. It worked fine at the beginning, but now it's constantly losing connection. If I want to type in a sentence, I'll have to press the first letter several times until it register. During these periods, the connection LED lights up, as though it was just reconnecting with the dongle. Sometimes a pressed key gets stuckkkkkkkkk, too. I've tried a bunch of different USB ports, hubs, and disabled power saving on all of them. The only thing that helps for a while is to cycle through all the connection modes. What do I do with this?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Failed to get a Duckboard. Fell asleep 30 mine before the first slot and it sold out before I could fill in my payment details (less then a minute). :negative:

I hope someone will run a GB on this that’s up for the demand in the future.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Alright, I think I've officially got the bug. I'm on the hunt for a Discipline or Mysterium. I'm not picky, and would be happy with either one. If anyone is sitting on one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a good price. Keys and switches not necessary.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Failed to get a Duckboard. Fell asleep 30 mine before the first slot and it sold out before I could fill in my payment details (less then a minute). :negative:

He said on r/mk that he'll keep doing runs of the board "until everyone who wants one has one" so you should get another chance at least.

Gearman posted:

Alright, I think I've officially got the bug. I'm on the hunt for a Discipline or Mysterium. I'm not picky, and would be happy with either one. If anyone is sitting on one, I'd be happy to take it off your hands for a good price. Keys and switches not necessary.

Switch Couture has Mysterium PCB's in stock still, and they sell custom acrylic cases for it.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

He said on r/mk that he'll keep doing runs of the board "until everyone who wants one has one" so you should get another chance at least.

Switch Couture has Mysterium PCB's in stock still, and they sell custom acrylic cases for it.

Awesome, thanks for the lead! I saw they were all sold out on cftkb.com and figured I'd have to scour mechmarket.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Lord Stimperor posted:

Folks I have a problem with my Durgod Fusion. It worked fine at the beginning, but now it's constantly losing connection. If I want to type in a sentence, I'll have to press the first letter several times until it register. During these periods, the connection LED lights up, as though it was just reconnecting with the dongle. Sometimes a pressed key gets stuckkkkkkkkk, too. I've tried a bunch of different USB ports, hubs, and disabled power saving on all of them. The only thing that helps for a while is to cycle through all the connection modes. What do I do with this?

This hasn't been a problem with my Fusion so these are just some troubleshooting things I would go through. I would start by updating the firmware with the Durgod Zeus Engine if you haven't done that yet. After that I would remove the device from your computer by unplugging and removing the device via your device manager or "bluetooth and other devices" menu, then plug everything in again. If it is still happening after all that I would try to eliminate anything that may be interfering with the signal from the room, stuff like wifi access points, printers, gamepad dongles, wireless headphones, etc. Other devices shouldn't be causing problems but it might be worth a try.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Welp, looks like I would have to solder it myself, and I do not in any way trust my ability to do it right. Appreciate the heads-up though.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

LochNessMonster posted:

I failed the first round, but I managed to get one this morning. poo poo went fast.

Gearman posted:

Welp, looks like I would have to solder it myself, and I do not in any way trust my ability to do it right. Appreciate the heads-up though.

You can do it no problem. Its like legos for adults.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
If you're getting into customs in this hobby, learning how to solder opens up your options a whole lot and is very satisfying, IMO. It's also really not that hard at all, just remember to practice on a cheapo or broken board.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Yeah I know. Just wish he’d do a sign up list like olkb so you can at least get your order on the list, even if it takes months before it’s being processed.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Yeah I know. Just wish he’d do a sign up list like olkb so you can at least get your order on the list, even if it takes months before it’s being processed.

Could shoot him an email and recommend it. I know during his interest check for this round he asked people if they'd prefer a lottery or FCFS for the sales so he seems open to alternatives.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Canna Happy posted:

You can do it no problem. Its like legos for adults.

You can't fool me, I know how goon DIY projects end up.

... Anyone have any recommendations for soldering irons?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CRAYON posted:

This hasn't been a problem with my Fusion so these are just some troubleshooting things I would go through. I would start by updating the firmware with the Durgod Zeus Engine if you haven't done that yet. After that I would remove the device from your computer by unplugging and removing the device via your device manager or "bluetooth and other devices" menu, then plug everything in again. If it is still happening after all that I would try to eliminate anything that may be interfering with the signal from the room, stuff like wifi access points, printers, gamepad dongles, wireless headphones, etc. Other devices shouldn't be causing problems but it might be worth a try.

Thanks, I think I've got it now. Didn't realize the board came with a software by the way, so I'll grab that soon.

I tried finding the offending device in the device manager but that wasn't trivial - with a full HOTAS and VR gaming setup, there's a bunch of things connected to the computer, so I couldn't find which USB device actually represented the dongle. But I did find a free USB 2.0 port at the back of my computer, and that one doesn't produce any problems. I had the dongle previous connected to USB 3.0 ports, powered and unpowered 3.0 hubs, and the front panel of my computer and none of them worked consistently. Here's hoping this did the trick! :)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Neat, Cannonkeys is going to be running a round 2 on the Satisfaction 75. Opens up Oct 31 at 11AM EST.
Less neat, this round the price is going to be $480.

More details: https://cannonkeys.com/blogs/news/satisfaction75-round-2

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Gearman posted:

I often see the Hakko FX-888D recommended. I myself didn't splash out for this nice soldering iron, but I ended up with a Tenma 21-10120, which I actually like a lot. This was over two years ago now, though, and it looks like it's discontinued :(

In addition to an iron, you'll also want:
  • Soldering tip cleaner. I used the Hakko 599B-02, and it works great.
  • Desoldering wick. Any brand you find should work.
  • Solder sucker. The Engineer SS-02 is a community favorite.
  • Solder wire, of course. Nothing thicker than 1mm diameter should work for keyboard stuff, as I've managed to succeed at soldering at that relatively thick size. People swear by 63/37 tin/lead solder, but I've found 60/40 to work better for me personally. Also, get the solder wire with a rosin core. The rosin acts as flux to help make cleaner joins.
Others (who are probably better and smarter at this than me) also recommend getting additional flux for better solder results. I've never used it (nor really learned how to use it) myself and haven't had any issues yet. Alcohol wipes for delicate electronics are also good to clean up dry flux from the PCB after you're done soldering. I'm a filthy boy, though, so I haven't used these for final cleanup.

Oh, also get a pair of flush cutters. You'll probably find yourself needing to snip off some excess diode wire or plastic legs, and these are the very best tools for the job. Scissors are not that great.

Finally, if you don't want to precariously balance your work on erasers/books/shampoo bottles and end up with askew keycaps like me, you can invest in a Helping Hands workbench kit to hold your PCB still while you solder.

Anyone else in the thread, please correct any inadvertent misinformation! I haven't actually soldered in a while and don't know if there are new favorites these days.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I bought the hakko back in like April, it's real nice, though I want to say it was cheaper then. Haven't used other soldering stations to vouch for them, but I think a Weller one gets brought up as good often. If you get the hakko you won't be disappointed.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Still haven’t received my Durgod Fusion from the Kickstarter, no updates since September when they said the team was on holiday til Oct 8, and then they released delivery info of a bunch of backers (luckily mine wasn’t in it). There’s been some people saying they’ve gotten theirs but it’s frustrating to go from seeing updates to zero, not even to acknowledge of apologize the delivery info leak.

I’m tempted to give it til a week into November before doing a chargeback.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

On one hand I do want 75 keyboard on the other hand lol $480 not including keyswitches. https://cannonkeys.com/blogs/news/satisfaction75-round-2 Also not as cool as the CYBERBOARD.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
God drat October continues to wreck my wallet. This is coming right off the heels of a very expensive September full of switches and stabs and films and trays and whatnot.

Started off strong with buying Adelie plus an extra pcb and plate.
Bought 2 Saturn 60's
Bought GMK Cafe at extras prices (that one hurt and I didn't even get the 40's kit)
A various assortment of switches, stems, lube, films, etc...
The Randomfrankp deskmat

But we still have a long way to go!

Polaris Extras (sometime in the next x hours)
Satisfaction 75
Zplit
Sunsetter
Possibly Cajal Extras
and big announcement about NightSakura Fuji65 in a couple days has me sweating

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm gonna live vicariously through you guys since I've pretty much slowed down my spending on this hobby. (only participated in 3 relatively cheap keycap group buys this year!)

I love rotary encoders and LEDs and 75% so the R2 on Satisfaction 75 is tempting. But at 480 USD and the only NA vendor being in the US, the final price bringing that over to Canada is just going to be way too much for me.

EDIT:

Oh, and speaking of soldering irons, you don't really have to splash for the super expensive ones. I use an old Aoyue 936, which has temperature control and it only cost me $50 CAD like 5 years ago. I'm sure there's even better cheaper alternatives now. If anything, I think the better investment would probably be a Hakko FR300 desoldering iron with the amount of money I spend on MillMax sockets for hotswap boards. Though it's good to only solder on a board once and never have to touch it again since it's hotswappable.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

Pace ADS-200. I love that iron so much.
Also good is the Hakko recommended previously.

Constellation I posted:

I'm gonna live vicariously through you guys since I've pretty much slowed down my spending on this hobby. (only participated in 3 relatively cheap keycap group buys this year!)

I love rotary encoders and LEDs and 75% so the R2 on Satisfaction 75 is tempting. But at 480 USD and the only NA vendor being in the US, the final price bringing that over to Canada is just going to be way too much for me.

EDIT:

Oh, and speaking of soldering irons, you don't really have to splash for the super expensive ones. I use an old Aoyue 936, which has temperature control and it only cost me $50 CAD like 5 years ago. I'm sure there's even better cheaper alternatives now. If anything, I think the better investment would probably be a Hakko FR300 desoldering iron with the amount of money I spend on MillMax sockets for hotswap boards. Though it's good to only solder on a board once and never have to touch it again since it's hotswappable.

KAT Refined is running with a CA proxy and it's relatively cheap if you're interested.
https://www.deskhero.ca/

But Constellation I is right. A desoldering iron is more than just a quality of life tool, it's a necessity in this hobby.
The PaceADS200 vs the Hakko is really just a quality of life upgrade. I love the removable cartridge tips and the unit is just SOLID. It comes up to temp and holds way better than cheaper units. Plus the iron feels better in the hand and is easier to manipulate.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 19, 2020

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I have a Hakko desoldering iron that I use for console mods and it is magic. I could not imagine ever trying to desolder something with a wick again.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

On one hand I do want 75 keyboard on the other hand lol $480 not including keyswitches. https://cannonkeys.com/blogs/news/satisfaction75-round-2 Also not as cool as the CYBERBOARD.

Yeah at $480 it's... a bit much. I had wanted to make it the final destination for my SA Laser set...

So opinion time, do you think the purple Bella compliments the Laser keycap set? Or too bright a purple?

https://kbdfans.com/collections/bella/products/bella?variant=34248579252363

Or maybe I'll get it in black and pray KBD restocks their numpad and make a faux southpaw keyboard.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

funkymonks posted:

I have a Hakko desoldering iron that I use for console mods and it is magic. I could not imagine ever trying to desolder something with a wick again.

I got a chinese one from amazon and to no ones surprise, sucks.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

.Z. posted:

Yeah at $480 it's... a bit much. I had wanted to make it the final destination for my SA Laser set...

So opinion time, do you think the purple Bella compliments the Laser keycap set? Or too bright a purple?

https://kbdfans.com/collections/bella/products/bella?variant=34248579252363

Or maybe I'll get it in black and pray KBD restocks their numpad and make a faux southpaw keyboard.

No matter how they try to justify the price it's still a metal box + pcb in my mind and so the price is nuts. My Whitefox cost $230 almost 5 years a go and that was a complete unassembled keyboard. I'm sure some of it is costs have gone up but I get the feeling a good chunk of it is people realized oh people will spend even more money if we charge it because it's geek jewelry.

Anyway I ordered a Wormier 66 because my life needs more rgb.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

KAT Refined is running with a CA proxy and it's relatively cheap if you're interested.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm all KAT'd out for this year with KAT Hyperfuse coming in. Pretty excited for that one to come in actually.

GMK Grand Prix is also tempting.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Constellation I posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'm all KAT'd out for this year with KAT Hyperfuse coming in. Pretty excited for that one to come in actually.
What kit(s) did you get??? I love that colorway

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Kat Hyperfuse Origins from zFrontier: https://en.zfrontier.com/products/kat-hyperfuse

Group buy is closed now unfortunately, but it seems like KAT sets come back more often than not.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Wow, thanks for all the great info! After some thought, and searching around, I found someone that will do the majority of the soldering for me on the Mysterium for $40.

Given that I have two kids under the age of three, it would likely take me months to solder the whole thing. I will probably also go down the custom acrylic case route, and I'm still going to have to buy some stabs, and put everything together. I feel like that's a good level of personal building for me, as a beginner to this whole thing, and very doable with my limited amount of free time.

However, the Mysterium is TKL, and I do use the numpad a lot, so I'm going to pick up the soldering supplies anyway and build a May Pad (https://keyhive.xyz/shop/may-pad). I think it would be a lot better for me as a first-time soldering project. I'd also be a lot less mad about ruining it than I would be if I screwed up the keyboard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gearman posted:

Wow, thanks for all the great info! After some thought, and searching around, I found someone that will do the majority of the soldering for me on the Mysterium for $40.

Given that I have two kids under the age of three, it would likely take me months to solder the whole thing. I will probably also go down the custom acrylic case route, and I'm still going to have to buy some stabs, and put everything together. I feel like that's a good level of personal building for me, as a beginner to this whole thing, and very doable with my limited amount of free time.

However, the Mysterium is TKL, and I do use the numpad a lot, so I'm going to pick up the soldering supplies anyway and build a May Pad (https://keyhive.xyz/shop/may-pad). I think it would be a lot better for me as a first-time soldering project. I'd also be a lot less mad about ruining it than I would be if I screwed up the keyboard.

You know there are twitch streamers that will build your keyboard for free.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know there are twitch streamers that will build your keyboard for free.

I did not! Gonna chalk this up as a learning experience.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm thinking of selling off some boards I don't use and/ or like. I doubt that I am going to turn them in some kind of museum, and presently they're being mothballed in a box. I can't really justify having 6 keyboards for two computers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm thinking of selling off some boards I don't use and/ or like. I doubt that I am going to turn them in some kind of museum, and presently they're being mothballed in a box. I can't really justify having 6 keyboards for two computers.

With so many recent wants going to group buy this month I'm kind of in the same boat.
But unfortunately the poo poo I want to get rid of is not really worth the hassle of selling on Mech Market, except maybe that Durgod Fusion which still hasn't showed up yet.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Nothing will feel as amazing as Topre.

For wrists: Make sure they are straight (in all directions). One of the biggest wrist pain producers imo is vertical tilt. A lot of people have wrists resting lower than the keyboard which bends them at an upwards angle.

For games do you WASD a lot? Personally I found my W key repetition and finger stretch to cause a lot of stress throughout my hand. Much more than switch weight.

For example, I use a macropad with a mix of Gateron reds and clears, but mostly it has a slight negative stagger on the WS row which lets my fingers rest/travel less.

YMMV as everyone is different. Try paying attention when you play games and finding what exact movements are causing issues.

Apologies for the slow reply, it's been one of those weeks. I do game a lot, and in fact I attribute what I'm experiencing to a long stint of Warframe with some hideously non-ergonomic keybinds for its very intense movement.

Thank you for bringing up a macropad! That never would have occurred to me, but it might be exactly what I'm looking for. I have a... problematic ergonomic situation with my desk and chair that I can't easily rectify, but a macropad wouldn't be subject to the same limitations. I'd like to look in to this while I take a while to feel out precisely what movements are giving me trouble. Any recommendations on pads to check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Someone mentioned bad group buy experiences and I'm just sitting here laughing at the fact that it's been 4 years and 2 address changes since I put money down for the Matias 65% keyboard that was promised "sometime in late 2016, September by the latest". I need to dig up a way to change my address for delivery, if I ever believed it would be delivered.