Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Policenaut posted:

Out of curiosity, if I really did want to go head first back into D2 in December what exactly do I need to buy? I have D2 base game and the first season pass. Is there an option to buy all the expansions? Do they work like FF14 where you just gotta buy the most recent one?

Looks like there's a bundle of Forsaken, Shadowkeep, and the current (almost over) season, with Beyond Light being a separate purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

My friend asked if I wanted to summon with him on BB and it certainly didn’t take much convincing to get me to start a new game so I did it when I got home and I just defeated Gascoigne on my first try this time around, loving hell

We are hoonters, and we are not. loving. aroond.

Bust Rodd posted:

Try to beat it without putting all your points into health this time.

Yeah, I rarely go above 30 vit in FROM games anymore. Love my glass cannons :swoon:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just finished the Mafia Remake, and that is one odd game. The story is good, the performances are generally solid, and the graphics are great. The driving is terrible, and there's a lot of it, but the gunplay is fun and the mission design is varied enough that I didn't ever feel bored.

What's odd about the game is the structure. I mean, on its face it's just a linear story-driven game, where each chapter is another mission. But the whole thing is set in a giant open world that you can (mostly) explore freely in each chapter, like GTA. Except the only thing to do in the huge open world is...go to the mission marker for whatever point of the story you're at. There's no side content, no minigames, no in-game stores or currency, you can't even really interact with any NPCs. After finishing the story I fired up the postgame Free Roam mode, and there's just nothing there. And the open world is beautiful - it's got urban environments, a race track, woods and swamps, a little bit of everything. But when you go to these places, there's nothing to do.

It's a baffling usage of resources. I just decided to drive out to a lighthouse that the story never took me to, and when I got there all I could do was pick up a collectable, get in my car, and drive back to where I started.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ShakeZula posted:

Just finished the Mafia Remake, and that is one odd game. The story is good, the performances are generally solid, and the graphics are great. The driving is terrible, and there's a lot of it, but the gunplay is fun and the mission design is varied enough that I didn't ever feel bored.

What's odd about the game is the structure. I mean, on its face it's just a linear story-driven game, where each chapter is another mission. But the whole thing is set in a giant open world that you can (mostly) explore freely in each chapter, like GTA. Except the only thing to do in the huge open world is...go to the mission marker for whatever point of the story you're at. There's no side content, no minigames, no in-game stores or currency, you can't even really interact with any NPCs. After finishing the story I fired up the postgame Free Roam mode, and there's just nothing there. And the open world is beautiful - it's got urban environments, a race track, woods and swamps, a little bit of everything. But when you go to these places, there's nothing to do.

It's a baffling usage of resources. I just decided to drive out to a lighthouse that the story never took me to, and when I got there all I could do was pick up a collectable, get in my car, and drive back to where I started.
So this is a holdover from the original. There wasn't a ton to do in the open world. There were Free Ride/Free Ride Extreme modes that played more with the open world, but in the base game I think the only side thing you really do is the car stealing missions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do you still have to obey traffic laws

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do you still have to obey traffic laws

"Classic" difficulty is the one where you have to obey traffic laws, manually reloading your gun sacrifices any remaining ammo in the old clip, you're much more vulnerable, that kind of stuff. I played on Normal throughout, except for the race which forced me to turn it down to Easy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah they did let you turn off some of the things that people disliked in the original.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I always said the same about the original Mafia, and I always wondered if it actually was just a third person shooter game that later on in development had an open world tacked on after GTA3 blew up the way it did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not sure about the original, but Mafia 2 had a bunch of stuff that was cut from the game to sell as DLC, and much of that involved open world stuff

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

morestuff posted:

Is Gascogne a big pain point for people?

Yes. I “quit” BB three times before finally deciding to push through and get good enough to beat him. It was frustrating and I couldn’t understand how anyone could even like the game at all. Once I beat him, I went on a tear and beat the rest of the game, the DLC, and all three Souls games over the next few months. Father G was the hardest fight in all four games for me (given my lack of From experience at the point, as it was my first).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s not the PS4, but it randomly picked up a copy of Asura’s Wrath on the PS3 and holy poo poo the frame rate is awful at least in chapter 2. Does it ever get better?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gascoigne def represents an aggressive vertical slice of most of the things one needs to know to get through BB jammed into one fight, and it's alway been a 'by the skin of my teeth' fight for me. Thematically it's one of the high points of the game (and the series) because it gates the other 80% of the game off until you are stubborn enough to advance, and its extremely exciting and stressful because his transformation never quite seems to come at the same time on multiple retries.

O&S, Gascoigne, and Genichiro all feel like they were designed from a similar mindset, like a perfect acknowledgment of the particular game's systems in mind to test a player.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never beaten Gas Coin in singleplayer but I've also never had the camera not decouple from the player character and jam itself into a tree branch either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat Gasgoine first time through sheer luck lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

It seems to me like a lot of adaptions like this shove in some US army dudes to function as viewpoint characters for the audience, which is pretty hosed up in it’s own right and also really patronising. And boring.

The US military will fund movies that portray them favorably

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I finished 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and it was really good straight through goddamn :suspense:.

My only real complaints were (Big spoilers, obviously) Ryoko's storyline was a complete waste of time, as it didn't bring anything new to the table that other characters didn't also witness, and all that's really new is "she was hot for teacher". There's also what looks like a retcon or a change somewhere in the writing mid-development, because Ryota Gouto is clearly meant to be a younger Tetsuya Ida (Or at the very least it's not a very good fakeout), and it feels like Shu got arbitrarily shuffled into the mix. Tamoe was also a bit of a wasted character all things considered, and the "grandmother in 1988" aspect made no sense when she's wandering around as a student in that time period.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I just finished SOMA and I don't get the hype. I'm gonna need to read the wiki I guess.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

Out of curiosity, if I really did want to go head first back into D2 in December what exactly do I need to buy? I have D2 base game and the first season pass. Is there an option to buy all the expansions? Do they work like FF14 where you just gotta buy the most recent one?
The base game and the content from the first season pass is all free to play now (and basically all of that content is being vaulted in November so that doesn't matter anyway...)

If you want access to all the content you can't just buy the latest expansion, you need them all. There's also season passes now (lasting three months each I think?)

So it ain't gonna be cheap. If I were you I'd just fire up the free to play base game after Beyond Light comes out and see what's what, what you need/want to buy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Don't know if anyone can reasonably be expected to get into D2 without following a guide.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The US military will fund movies that portray them favorably

Games, too! Though fewer books have been written about it thus far.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

screaden posted:

I always said the same about the original Mafia, and I always wondered if it actually was just a third person shooter game that later on in development had an open world tacked on after GTA3 blew up the way it did.

GTA3 basically invented the open world with activities and Mafia, despite technically releasing a bit later (the two are within a year of each other), was probably just a product of the time before GTA3.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Games, too! Though fewer books have been written about it thus far.

This one is pretty good:
Playing War: Military Video Games After 9/11
https://nyupress.org/9781479805228/playing-war/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Don't know if anyone can reasonably be expected to get into D2 without following a guide.
The "new light" experience is all being redone in November, that's why they're bringing the first zone from D1 back. As of a while ago when you start the game you start the beginning of D1 but after one mission it throws you in the deep end, but they're changing it to be a full starting zone with a new NPC that guides you through things.

My daughter tried to start D2 a few weeks ago and the current onboarding is pretty lame, one mission then basically start doing bounties and poo poo to progress through the planets quite aimlessly. Looking forward to the new thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This one is pretty good:
Playing War: Military Video Games After 9/11
https://nyupress.org/9781479805228/playing-war/

Nice. Thanks.

This is an introduction from one of the better books I've read on the film variety.

https://www.rienner.com/uploads/568fec794a245.pdf

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Akuma posted:

The "new light" experience is all being redone in November, that's why they're bringing the first zone from D1 back. As of a while ago when you start the game you start the beginning of D1 but after one mission it throws you in the deep end, but they're changing it to be a full starting zone with a new NPC that guides you through things.

My daughter tried to start D2 a few weeks ago and the current onboarding is pretty lame, one mission then basically start doing bounties and poo poo to progress through the planets quite aimlessly. Looking forward to the new thing.

When Destiny 1 first came out it was great. It was fun and unlike most fps games around, set in a beautiful world with a great engine and greater feel of gunplay.

It really was more fun just dicking around with friends and trying to not take it too seriously, I must have dumped like 1500 hours into it at the time.

D2 has been a shadow of a game from day one. It seems that they forgot everything that they improved on and it just couldn't capture the same feeling as the first one. The grind was terrible once you got to the end game and there was so many different currencies and things to trade in, if you didn't play it full time it was just too overwhelming to get back into it.

If they're completely redoing it for the new season or expansion or whatever they call it I may give it a try again just to see what it's like. I really want to like it but I just can't bring myself to play it in its current state.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

GTA3 basically invented the open world with activities and Mafia, despite technically releasing a bit later (the two are within a year of each other), was probably just a product of the time before GTA3.
I guess it can happen with any kind of media or art, but there’s always gonna be times when you’ve been working on something for years and then suddenly the exact thing you were trying to make but better suddenly appears.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It was a bizarre experience trying to return the original campaign a few months ago when I gave D2 another try. I lost all my original progress, and just finding the mission start was a challenge. I stopped when I realized they took out all the exotic rewards. loving weird game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It’s not the PS4, but it randomly picked up a copy of Asura’s Wrath on the PS3 and holy poo poo the frame rate is awful at least in chapter 2. Does it ever get better?

It does, though there's still the occasional choppy scene throughout.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rinkles posted:

It was a bizarre experience trying to return the original campaign a few months ago when I gave D2 another try. I lost all my original progress, and just finding the mission start was a challenge. I stopped when I realized they took out all the exotic rewards. loving weird game.

I played through all the campaigns I owned in Destiny 2 (so, to the end of the one where Cayde dies) earlier this year and I did it at the right time because I guess the game got so big they're just straight up deleting planets now? Seems like they should just make a Destiny 3 now since they reset progress every few months and don't even really do levels anymore? I have no idea how a new player would understand or enjoy it without following a guide.

Maybe its like GTAO where it made too much money to fully reboot and now all the designers are in some kind of purgatory of trying to slap another new plot event onto the same five maps, and also every player hates you when you change anything but also hates you when you don't change something.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 19, 2020

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I just did a mini-marathon of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice from beginning to end, and while I thought the story and visual presentation were wonderful I couldn't figure out if I am dumb or if the game seemed to badly communicate the controls/contextual prompts from beginning to end. I was so stressed out by the end because the creep on your arm that threatens to end the game had gotten so far up my arm from cheap but otherwise avoidable deaths and there seemed to be no chapter select. I didn't even know I could do charged attacks until the final chapter because I guess the game assumed I was going to pause and look it up instead of learning through playing.

Regardless, it's a shame the sequel is looking to be a Microsoft exclusive. Maybe it's because I was mentally and emotionally drained by the end from playing for almost 9 hours straight, but I walked away from it feeling pretty sold on the characters and world. I really enjoyed the stories from the lorestones too. I don't know much about Norse mythology but the voice actor telling them did a great job.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 19, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not that the game badly communicates contextual button prompts, it deliberately chooses to not provide that information to the player whatsoever. Senua has about half a dozen unique combos when using her melee as an extender on the last input of any string and different contextual attacks following a run or parry, but if you looked at the menu all you'd see is Light Attack, Heavy Attack, etc. You only get charged attacks in the second half of the game, which one of Senua's voices does mention when the combat starts up again, but it's easy enough to miss with everything else going on. A risky decision but one that I think ultimately paid off in stripping away as much video gameyness from the presentation as possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think someone in here was recently asking if FO76 is worth getting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLU-eFC2Tw

(no)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this video is terrible i'm sorry for posting it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Bob The Sun posted:

I just did a mini-marathon of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice from beginning to end, and while I thought the story and visual presentation were wonderful I couldn't figure out if I am dumb or if the game seemed to badly communicate the controls/contextual prompts from beginning to end. I was so stressed out by the end because the creep on your arm that threatens to end the game had gotten so far up my arm from cheap but otherwise avoidable deaths and there seemed to be no chapter select. I didn't even know I could do charged attacks until the final chapter because I guess the game assumed I was going to pause and look it up instead of learning through playing.

Regardless, it's a shame the sequel is looking to be a Microsoft exclusive. Maybe it's because I was mentally and emotionally drained by the end from playing for almost 9 hours straight, but I walked away from it feeling pretty sold on the characters and world. I really enjoyed the stories from the lorestones too. I don't know much about Norse mythology but the voice actor telling them did a great job.

Regarding the arm creep The developers are straight up lying to you to make you more cautious and anxious. It never deletes your save. It's in there to up the sense of dread and hostility

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also it just runs like poo poo (still). Tried returning a few weeks ago, but I couldn't play it for long because it made me sick.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

this video is terrible i'm sorry for posting it

:justpost:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Denis right after God of War so hearing about the gods in a positive light was weird.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think someone in here was recently asking if FO76 is worth getting now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLU-eFC2Tw

(no)

lol why does this use the Outer Wilds soundtrack, it's funny tho

edit; oh, i thought it was just gonna be bad/buggy footage, then the dude showed up and started talking and the Outer Wilds theme stopped booooo gently caress that poo poo

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 19, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll play Bethesda's janky rear end games for six hours straight, and the thing that put me off FO76 within a few hours was not the fact that the first 10 or so enemies I ran into were just frozen in time like statues in a museum. It was when things started to work normally and I had a bunch of people running around in my Fallout game that I could not get rid of. Shooting at the poo poo I was shooting at, blasting me with invites and messages. I want to play my Bethesda RPGs alone and in shame. I don't actually care if they are bad I just don't want them to be multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Speaking of, today is the 10yr anniversary of Fallout: New Vegas.
I bought it on PS3 and it was the buggiest console game I've ever played!