Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zesty posted:

Why don’t you just learn how to find a cave? Or use your scanner to find blueprints? Or get past the early early game where you’ll have plenty of money for buying all the elements you need instead of cheating money?

I don’t think you like what this game is about.

Because I spent at least an hour and a half looking for solarium by
First going to new solar systems and finding nothing
Then going to read a wiki about it where it told me how to actually find solarium
Then finding that at least one of the planets I vaguely recalled fitting that description was one I'd scanned but hadn't visited
Then manually going through each of my previous solar systems by hitting the space station to teleport and save hyperspace fuel
Then jumping around trying to get all of the planets in view to manually scan them and then finally travel to the place before scraping it up a couple of pieces at a time from whatever plants were there that had it near where i landed.

I get what this game is about. I've played stuff like Terraria to death, but the gameplay components of this are so wank that it gets in the way of fun. I have other poo poo to do in life other than potentially losing hours of time and walking away unsuccessful because what should be a 5-minute task is stretched out due to a lack of information and competent design.

edit: I'm also not cheating money. I'm abusing the system to turn oxygen into chlorine and then offloading that for millions. My problem is that finding "new element" is an unfun ballache.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kin posted:

So, kinda getting into the groove with this now, but there's still some stuff that feels really clunky.

I'm plugging through the base building missions (and now have a solar-powered base backed up by a lone battery which isn't actually enough), but after being told to hunt for solarium on a 'scorched' planet I came away with a poo poo taste in my mouth for the space exploration because unless I've missed it, your discovery map doesn't keep track of stuff you've scanned in space right? You've gotta land on every planet to keep a note of it and it's contents?

The other thing I learned is that collecting common stuff (like oxygen) is a really offputting part of the game. So far i've been using my infinite wealth to just hoover up thousands of each resource on space stations because mining rocks is just so tedious.

Is there a mod or something that just makes all resources available from a store? Being told to go find something like stuff that only grows in caves, only to then realise I've no idea how to find a bloody cave on this random planet I'm on is just tedious.

Also, the buried tech or whatever used for unlocking base parts and blueprints, is there a way to quickly farm those, or is it really just scouring a planet?

The problem is your given exocraft way too loving late in the game, it's actually really fun rolling around in a shielded vehicle gathering stuff instead of walking on foot for hours refilling every 3 minutes. The games definitely a mishmash of thoughts and goals that are changing constantly which is why poo poo doesn't make sense.

So the blue prints for base building at least are easily achieved via the tutorial quest but you'll really only need like 100 total to get everything else. Unless you want to make really fancy bases all you really need is that circular prefab then just use those for everything because you won't need wires due to them being a giant self contained system. This is a case of poo poo not making sense and being unfinished because the prefabs are brilliant but they don't really mesh well with everything else. If you want blue prints for crafting you gotta raid manufacturing facilities which are really easy if you set your mind to it. Once you get an exocraft you can use their scanners to find everything without the bother of buying maps.

Here's what i see in the nexus menu https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2261699415

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Kin posted:

So, kinda getting into the groove with this now, but there's still some stuff that feels really clunky.

I'm plugging through the base building missions (and now have a solar-powered base backed up by a lone battery which isn't actually enough),

In general you need two solar panels per battery to guarantee that battery gets a full charge per daylight cycle. If you're running out of power during the night, build another battery and two more solar panels. You don't need a web of wires cross-connecting everything individually. Just one wire going from solar panel to solar panel to battery to battery is fine. Interact with any battery during the day to see how long it will take to charge. Anything more than 12 minutes won't cut it. Interact with any solar panel during the day to see how much power is being generated in total and how much is being used. You need to generate more than you're using. Your solar panels will only be working at 50% efficiency for the first couple minutes around sunset and sunrise.

quote:

but after being told to hunt for solarium on a 'scorched' planet I came away with a poo poo taste in my mouth for the space exploration because unless I've missed it, your discovery map doesn't keep track of stuff you've scanned in space right? You've gotta land on every planet to keep a note of it and it's contents?
That's right, you discover a system as soon as you enter it. But you don't discover a planet until you land on it. I'm not a fan! But that's how it goes. Also you need to upload your discoveries for them to really and truly count. I learned this when I "discovered" a planet but never uploaded the discovery and one day later someone else got the discovery and renamed the planet (it's a nice name, so dodged a bullet there). You get nanites for every uploaded discovery, so while it's a dumb extra step at least you do get something out of it. I just hit the "upload all discoveries" every couple of days. Renaming planets, species, rocks etc. will auto-upload those as discoveries.

quote:

The other thing I learned is that collecting common stuff (like oxygen) is a really offputting part of the game. So far i've been using my infinite wealth to just hoover up thousands of each resource on space stations because mining rocks is just so tedious.
Correct. The only things I mine are di-hydrogen and tritium and even that's just occasionally blind firing in the general direction of the resource while on my way to somewhere else.

quote:

Is there a mod or something that just makes all resources available from a store? Being told to go find something like stuff that only grows in caves, only to then realise I've no idea how to find a bloody cave on this random planet I'm on is just tedious.
No idea about mods but caves are almost absurdly common. On most planets you are almost guaranteed to see (or fall into) one if you walk in any direction for a minute or two.

quote:

Also, the buried tech or whatever used for unlocking base parts and blueprints, is there a way to quickly farm those, or is it really just scouring a planet?
Pretty sure that's the only way. On the bright side some planets will be absolutely littered with the stuff, so if you happen to see a ton of them on your scanner just spend a few minutes hoovering up a stack or two.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Like everything should use the prefab system for scaling, extractors should be inside them, silos should be inside them so if you wanted more of said things you just slap more of said thing onto the existing prefab building. Extractors and silos are so ugly, even the landing pads just make you go what. It just blows my mind that there's no solar power prefab or battery prefab that you can plop down, why is there no giant hangar with multiple landing pads that's under a protective force shield?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Kin posted:

Because I spent at least an hour and a half looking for solarium by
First going to new solar systems and finding nothing
Then going to read a wiki about it where it told me how to actually find solarium
Then finding that at least one of the planets I vaguely recalled fitting that description was one I'd scanned but hadn't visited
Then manually going through each of my previous solar systems by hitting the space station to teleport and save hyperspace fuel
Then jumping around trying to get all of the planets in view to manually scan them and then finally travel to the place before scraping it up a couple of pieces at a time from whatever plants were there that had it near where i landed.

I get what this game is about. I've played stuff like Terraria to death, but the gameplay components of this are so wank that it gets in the way of fun. I have other poo poo to do in life other than potentially losing hours of time and walking away unsuccessful because what should be a 5-minute task is stretched out due to a lack of information and competent design.

You try and cheat past game mechanics and then wonder why you don’t understand how the game mechanics work. You really need to figure out the fundamentals. Using your scanner will lead you to thousands of Solarium within 10 minutes of landing.

You are right, though, that there are better things for you to do than getting upset at being unable to figure out an exploration game.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2020

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Hakarne posted:

Man I wish they let you recolor starships. I've found a bunch I like but they're always in rear end-ugly colors.

If you're on PC and willing to use the save editor to rejig some RGB values, you can! Here's a guide from Reddit - I only bother changing the first two values. I've used this method to get a consistent green/white colour scheme across all my ships:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If the mining laser bores you to tears and you don't feel like buying thousands of things at a time on a station (even if you can afford it), consider upgrading the poo poo out of a Colossus exocraft. Then just plop down on a planet with heavy vegetation / rocks, pick a direction, and zoom off with the laser blazing. It's technically less efficient per object destroyed but way, way more fun. I recommend the Colossus for this mostly since it has a big inventory even after upgrades, but a Roamer can work too.

You can also do this with a ship but you'll get less ground cover popping in so there will be fewer things to destroy for their mats. And underwater works less will because for whatever reason you can't upgrade the Nautilon mining laser at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find caves either by cruising along at low altitude until I see a hole, or by looking with the scanner for hummming sacs or underground artifacts and mining a hole directly toward it until I break out into the cave.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i forget whats exclusively inside caves

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Marrow Bulbs. There’s no other place you can find them, don’t think you can even farm them?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kin posted:

You have to give HG a hell of a lot of credit for the amount of work they've put in to take NMS from the state it was in at launch to where it is now, but the core issues of the game being ten miles wide and one inch deep are still there, and the core gameplay mechanics are all still terrible and mostly about wasting as much of your time as possible. The universe is still incredibly repetitive and uniform, none of the procgen systems interact with each other or make any sort of sense, and the fact that everything that happens to you is just a timer triggering an event, rather than something that emerges naturally from any sort of simulation, is painfully obvious.

That's not to say you the game isn't fun - I've dumped a few tens of hours into it - but it's definitely a game you have to play 'in the right way'.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Marrow Bulbs. There’s no other place you can find them, don’t think you can even farm them?

oh yeah! i always just got them from the mouth of a cave i'm usually too lazy to go any further

for some reason when im in a multiplayer party with my friend, my freighter turns red but at any other time my freighter is black with red highlights whats the deal

Poniard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 18, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

To be honest I think you need Marrow Bulbs 2 or 3 times ever, they're not used in anything important.

What's the deal with farming Freighter Salvage? I found a system that gave me an S class upgrade, and I built a base, do I just activate a new beacon in that system each time? I'm guessing there's no way or reason to go back to the exact same wreck.

It's in a cool triple-star system

So I went to knock up a quick base and ended up making something a bit cooler

Might expand on that base a bit, though I did build it nowhere near a power source.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

AirRaid posted:

To be honest I think you need Marrow Bulbs 2 or 3 times ever, they're not used in anything important.

What's the deal with farming Freighter Salvage? I found a system that gave me an S class upgrade, and I built a base, do I just activate a new beacon in that system each time? I'm guessing there's no way or reason to go back to the exact same wreck.

It's in a cool triple-star system

So I went to knock up a quick base and ended up making something a bit cooler

Might expand on that base a bit, though I did build it nowhere near a power source.

You will actually want to go back to that systems freighter as it gives S class upgrades. It will be the exact same freighter each time too. If you don't want to buy a new beacon each time put your beacon into your backpacks refiner after activating it and before opening the freighter door and it won't get used up then.
Each systems freighter is fixed in what class upgrades it gives so that system is a good one to farm as that freighter will always give you S class upgrades of varying types.

Helith fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 19, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Honestly, always buy everything.

I point my laser at things from time to time, but you can very quickly move past ever having to harvest resources again unless you want to do cooking because all of those resources suck balls to get and the rewards are a cake that sells for as much nanites as an average tech module.
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Refining#Recipes is a very good bookmark to have because armed with a medium refiner and a modicum of bought resources backed by an atmospheric gas (Sulphurine/Nitrogen/Radon) and an Activated metal mine you can very easily double those bought resources using transformation chains.

gently caress caves, you can refine Marrow Bulbs out of Cobalt and Nitrogen.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Am I reading the wiki right and any size hauler can max out at 48 slots, not just the largest size ones?

Edit: reading back in the thread it looks like it's based off class these days, not ship size. Cool. Cuz I really like some of the designs of the small/medium haulers and want to fly a clunky box with wings around.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 19, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Helith posted:

You will actually want to go back to that systems freighter as it gives S class upgrades. It will be the exact same freighter each time too. If you don't want to buy a new beacon each time put your beacon into your backpacks refiner after activating it and before opening the freighter door and it won't get used up then.
Each systems freighter is fixed in what class upgrades it gives so that system is a good one to farm as that freighter will always give you S class upgrades of varying types.

Nice trick with the refiner, thanks. I knew I'd want to mark the system, wasn't sure how it went from there out. Guess I'll be speedrunning that wreck a few times in the near future.

Ghostlight posted:

https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Refining#Recipes is a very good bookmark to have because armed with a medium refiner and a modicum of bought resources backed by an atmospheric gas (Sulphurine/Nitrogen/Radon) and an Activated metal mine you can very easily double those bought resources using transformation chains.

I was using this page - https://www.nmsdepot.com/Raw-Materials - set up slightly differently but same result.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, this living ship quest is going to drive me to suicide, I swear. After several horrible sessions of "find the right coordinates", now the game has topped itself with more bullshit then I can stomach. Essentially, I'll need another extra day because I couldn't finish the next step because the game broke again.

I'm now on the part where I'm supposed to interact with a boundary failure (by the way, nice of the game to never tell me that I could interact with them, I had to go and google that poo poo) and stuff just broke.

The boundary failure structure which spawned right on top of the egg coordinates just does nothing. The tiny glowing rectangle thing that spouts out lore messages on normal structures simply does nothing. Closing the game and reloading didn't help, either. According to what I found on the internet, this is not supposed to happen. But apparently all similar bugs happen later in the story line, so I may be just hosed forever.

I'm now kind of mad that I wasted all this time just to get nothing in the end.

Welp, I guess tomorrow I'll file a bug report and move on with my life. :mad:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The living ship quest chain was honestly the worst quest line I've done in the entire game, and that's inclusive of my Artemis quest which bugged out for several months and was actually killing me during the part where it's supposed to pretend to kill you.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thundarr posted:

Is there a rough estimate for how complex a base can be before the game forces you to stop building?

There's a limit on being able to upload said base, which is 2000 "points". It's a bit janky and weird like everything else in this game. It's probably been tweaked since that was written as well. You can edit an xml file to bump the base limit if you want but no one will be able to see it. I cranked mine to 10k.

There's also a global per-save build limit of 20k and surpassing that breaks the poo poo out of the game, so don't do that.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I had success harvesting cytophosphate by firing missiles into an ocean.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Is it possible to move a base computer? I put mine down for my first base in a kinda awkward spot, and I've already built up a concrete shack staffed with researchers so I'd rather not have to tear it all down and start again.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Cheap Trick posted:

Is it possible to move a base computer? I put mine down for my first base in a kinda awkward spot, and I've already built up a concrete shack staffed with researchers so I'd rather not have to tear it all down and start again.

Nope.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

drat, I'm going to have to leave it basically under my house then. Lesson learned :v:

I only dabbled in the game before, made a fresh start several days ago and it's been a blast! Absolutely loving the aesthetics of the Anomaly's interior.

Working on finishing quests so that I can go make money to get a better ship and multi-tool.

Thanks to this thread, I did not make the mistake of accepting the first free freighter that was offered to me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mailer posted:

There's a limit on being able to upload said base, which is 2000 "points". It's a bit janky and weird like everything else in this game. It's probably been tweaked since that was written as well. You can edit an xml file to bump the base limit if you want but no one will be able to see it. I cranked mine to 10k.

There's also a global per-save build limit of 20k and surpassing that breaks the poo poo out of the game, so don't do that.

Now that my plan to bridge two floating moon islands together has been thwarted, I have another idea but looking at this values I may possibly be pushing it. :v:

E: actually it would be way over the cap just from the structural parts, let alone the main thrust of the base. Let's see if I can compromise enough to get under the limit without a complete rethink.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 19, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sir, might I interest you in some Glitch-built teleporters?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oo, that's neat. I guess I'll have to look up the adjacency glitch too.

I'm fairly certain that I've seen pictures of farming bases with 50+ biodomes and that alone would reach the building cap of 2000 points, not to mention the corridors connecting them and the power infrastructure needed. I assume that had to have been done with save file hacks?

E: I just built a bunch of rooms that, by themselves, should have been enough to hit the cap and I did it at a base that was already decently large. It still let me save it no problem, so I think the numbers in that article must be out of date.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 19, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Whats your global base cap? I had parts disappear then reappear so my biodomes had double plants and all my walkways where doubled too haha. I'm worried i'll hit my global base cap and my old bases will start to disappear because i heard that's what happens. Apparently farming sent fighters is a great way to get consumables for your frigate fleets though at 5 stars a capital ship warps in and it becomes impossible to lose the sents without entering the anomaly. I've yet to test if my own capital ship will join in and shoot the sentinel capital ship but if it does hell yeah. It just blows my mind that all of your quests aren't automatically queued up when you go to the correct system. I got those stupid missing person quests that are scattered through out the galaxy and unless you cycle through them in every system you'll never know if ones in the current system or not.

This game desperately needs more enemies, why am i given a massive capital ship bristling with turrets when they're never used? You should have always built your capital ship up from a skeleton customizing everything then be able to take it into combat missions if you wanted too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Thundarr posted:

E: I just built a bunch of rooms that, by themselves, should have been enough to hit the cap and I did it at a base that was already decently large. It still let me save it no problem, so I think the numbers in that article must be out of date.

I've had mine set to 10k forever (I think the default, with Ultra base settings, is 5k) so I don't really know. I'm in the low double digits of bits I can craft globally and will have to slash and burn all my bases for every single non-essential part just to build a basalt mine, so the per-base limit hasn't really bothered me. :v:

Anecdotally, I can say that different parts are worth different values.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

What is basalt even used for to justify mining it?

I'm on PS4 so I can't edit my build limits. If the game says I can go way past 2000 points with no problems, then it's gotta be a default that was increased at some point in the last few years.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Look if we're gonna start only farming stuff that's justified I might as well delete my whole save. :v:

Never ask if you should build the thing. Only ask if you can build the thing to an insane degree!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well in that case, I'll charge right ahead with making my incredibly inefficient but probably pretty garden base with 84-120 glass cubes and 32+ biodomes. Despite not even having all the crafting recipes yet on this save! (fuckin scans for manufacturing facilities insist on giving me the wrong types of buildings. I've had to start accepting charity blueprints from crashed ships, had no idea before that they could give you arronium / grantine / etc)

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Jesus loving christ so i never landed with the cops on me because of course there would be a recourse and it was a bad idea. Well actually no you can land or enter your freighter with 5 stars and the sentinels will just gently caress right off. So literally feel free to blow up every single freighter loving module without fear then farm the sentinel fighters for frigate mission consumables and when they warp a capital ship in just enter your freighter and do something else for 40 seconds. Your fleet will not shoot sentinels so beyond combat frigates helping you shoot pirates i don't think the turrets ever do anything on your capital ship.

Who the hell balanced this--NPC freighters are just giant loot pinatas though granted half of the modules they carry are worthless.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Is there any way to delete/scrap/get rid of frigates in your fleet?
Ive got one which is permanently marked "Awaiting Debrief" after a mission so i cant do anything with it (it doesnt appear at any of my frigate mission terminals)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Middle mouse will remove frigates. I had to scour google to find that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

oh wow I was just doing the normal system hopping to get somewhere and stumbled across a system that's already been discovered by someone else.

Feels like a small thing and maybe I'm being daft, but is this common - what are the odds of that even? I know it doesn't mean anything but I genuinely felt a bit breathtaken.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I think I’ve come across about 5 or 6 systems discovered by someone else out of the hundreds I’ve probably discovered by now, so yeah, it does happen but it’s a small chance.
I’m pretty sure all the ones found by someone else were in Euclid which is where the bulk of players are. I don’t think I’ve run into anyone’s else’s discoveries in Eissantam yet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I chanced across a system yesterday that was discovered four years prior. It was on the Outskirts of Euclid in a system with an Atlas Station. I was surprised at first but I suppose it isn’t that shocking considering the Atlas stations draw people in.

Once you get closer to the center of the galaxy, you’ll have a hard time systems that haven’t been discovered.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So, living ships.

I tried again today and what do you know? The quest line unfucked itself as if by magic.

The two boundary failure structures that haunted my nightmares yesterday changed position, with the one that didn't work but was on the right coordinates switching places with the one that did work but was on the wrong coordinates (and therefore just gave out a lore message and nothing else).

The now working structure also teleported a bit downwards so I had to dig the communication terminal out of the ground, but after that the next mission finally triggered.

Now I'm proud owner of super soul sucker and have to go around shoot poor beasties with a soul-sucking energy beam to collect their qualia. This game. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kin posted:

redirect some of your infinite wealth into buying hazard and life-support suit upgrades. i feel like i have to refill my life support, like, twice an hour tops, and the s-rank hazard protections are extremely convenient on low-hazard planets (and essentially mandatory on high-hazard planets)