Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dogz droolz

EDIT: the shameful page starter this thread deserves

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hey! No badmouthing dogs! Take that poo poo to /r/Dogfree!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What if we don't like Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

As long as your criticism of Cats & Dogs 2: The Revenge of Kitty Galore does not involve any version of "dogs suck", then it's fine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Dogs are cool and good, but Cats (2019) loving RULES.

Also, I imagine that Selonians should probably look something like this:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's maybe got a similar thing going where seemingly everything is at odds with everything else, but it becomes an entertaining car crash rather than a tedious and frustrating watch, like someone trying for half an hour to push a door marked 'PULL'.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://the-swsc.com/2020/09/18/jedi-finn-in-the-leaked-the-force-awakens-shot-list/

Food for thought

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I read it and most of what I take away is Poe was a terrible inclusion in the movie from start to finish.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Stormtrooper who becomes a Jedi is like, peak Star Wars and should have been an incredibly easy sell. I blame racism.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I appreciate Boyega having the balls to not pull punches in criticizing the mouse. I hope it doesn't impact his career. I mean I guess he's never going to hurt for money but he deserves to be in good movies.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure if him becoming a jedi would've made the movies better, but having any sort of consistent idea for where they wanted the story to go probably would've helped. Sidelining Finn is just part of how the movies don't really stick with anything.

I do think that a lot of Star Wars works get too hung up on Jedi when characters can still be cool without the force or laser swords, just running around shooting guns and flying spaceships. It's a big setting, and the Jedi are just one little facet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean they could have had him been a leader of other Troopers and built an insurgency inside the First Order but no gently caress that, we need to burn 2+hours of screen time across the trilogy on gently caress all.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I will never understand why kylo ren's stupid loving lightsaber design didn't just make everyone go "hang on, wait, we're fuckin this all up"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CainFortea posted:

I will never understand why kylo ren's stupid loving lightsaber design didn't just make everyone go "hang on, wait, we're fuckin this all up"

Have your company spend $4 billion on something and we'll see who has the balls to speak up.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Kylo's lightsaber looks kind of hosed up and wrong. It's perfect for him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's just a really funky looking lightsaber in a way that doesn't affect the way it's used in any way, so it all feels kinda pointless. Stephen Colbert came out with a big theory that it's supposed to be a crossguard, but it's never used like that. Maybe if he used like a medieval longsword fighting style with it, but then you can't really halfsword a lightsaber.

I did see an anime once where the hero character had just a single line lightsaber and then the villain comes up and he's got a beefy lightsaber that's thicker and has a more complicated design, and it was a nice little visual metaphor for the hero being an under-equipped underdog compared to the villain, but Kyle's lightsaber doesn't really create that impression all that well, and he's not even really depicted throughout the rest of the movie as being menacingly overpowering, because the movie prefers to show him being emotionally vulnerable.

Just a weird choice with no real purpose.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean it's violent, barely controlled, spitting sparks everywhere, and obviously not as refined and sensible as other lightsabers. it's an insanely obvious metaphor for his character

also they put it in the first trailer for the exact same reason they put darth maul revealing his double sided lightsaber in tpm's first trailer so it needed to be unique in some fashion or another

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ungulateman posted:

i mean it's violent, barely controlled, spitting sparks everywhere, and obviously not as refined and sensible as other lightsabers. it's an insanely obvious metaphor for his character

also they put it in the first trailer for the exact same reason they put darth maul revealing his double sided lightsaber in tpm's first trailer so it needed to be unique in some fashion or another

This plus, light claymore.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ungulateman posted:

I dunno about the bolded part, op. To my untrained eye, Kylo's lightsaber works exactly like a regular one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

I dunno about the bolded part, op. To my untrained eye, Kylo's lightsaber works exactly like a regular one.

it visibly wavers and has a ragged edge

you can see it really well in his fight with rey at the end of TFA, contrasting with the much cleaner look of her lightsaber's arcs

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

it visibly wavers and has a ragged edge

you can see it really well in his fight with rey at the end of TFA, contrasting with the much cleaner look of her lightsaber's arcs

Agreed that it looks different, but that doesn't seem to affect its function in any way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Luke wears a tight, long sleeve black outfit and black leather gloves in the desert in RotJ? What gives? He doesn’t seem to use any of the special features of this ill advised outfit?

It’s Star Wars, form is everything. The differences between tie fighters and x-wings is pure EU. Stormtrooper armour doesn’t do poo poo. Kylo’s lightsaber looks a certain way to fit his character, and nobody would nitpick it if the movies were good.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 20, 2020

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Kylo's sword is clearly modeled after European swords, unlike the noble japanese katana. Something-something little white cuckball.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Incelshok Na posted:

Kylo's sword is clearly modeled after European swords, unlike the noble japanese katana. Something-something little white cuckball.

yeah, it's meant to be a cross to imply that kylo prays to his lord and savior, jesus christ, off screen

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
While Rose had a crescent necklace! Wake up sheeple!

Luke wore Italian clothes in RotJ and look at how much more accepted Italians are now than in the '80s. It's blatant social programming.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth Tyranus had a curved handle for his blade so Christopher Lee could use his fencing training

If you want some ridiculous lightsaber designs look up No More Heroes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think theres anything wrong with Kylo Ren's lightsaber in the first two films. Im iffy on the third but Im also iffy about the entire narrative arc for his character in the trilogy and its hard to separate "everything about the writing sucks" from "this prop design is weak"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Barudak posted:

I don't think theres anything wrong with Kylo Ren's lightsaber in the first two films. Im iffy on the third but Im also iffy about the entire narrative arc for his character in the trilogy and its hard to separate "everything about the writing sucks" from "this prop design is weak"

Never before has someone better summarized kylo ren.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

Never before has someone better summarized kylo ren.

"what if ben shapiro had force powers and a chest"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"what if ben shapiro had force powers and a chest"

Nah, shapiro's thing is literally being calm hitler, and kylo ren's whole thing is having zero chill

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Darth Tyranus had a curved handle for his blade so Christopher Lee could use his fencing training

If you want some ridiculous lightsaber designs look up No More Heroes

I love this thing though.

Travis Touchdown swings it around like a baseball bat because it's powerful, but also large and slow. That's good design work. I don't think the others get that weird. I like the concept that a lot of them have where the blade is projected by an extendable fixture that has a feel kinda like a fluorescent tube.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, shapiro's thing is literally being calm hitler, and kylo ren's whole thing is having zero chill

So more of a Baked Alaska?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

now imagine Ben but he wakes up as a wizard and a bear of a man. you think he's gonna be calm?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Fifteen minutes into watching Rise of Skywalker right now, and I already want to slap anyone who's ever said Last Jedi is the worst movie in the trilogy. This is cringey fanfiction.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

El Generico posted:

Fifteen minutes into watching Rise of Skywalker right now, and I already want to slap anyone who's ever said Last Jedi is the worst movie in the trilogy. This is cringey fanfiction.

Friend, friend friend. Save you strength, you will need them for the slappings to follow

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Done watching it now. Movie picked up with the Rey/Kylo fight on the Death Star wreckage, but faltered by the time Palpatine was doing his usual "tell the Jedi I'm trying to corrupt exactly what my plan is" shenanigans, and the lines "I am all the Sith" and "I am all the Jedi" are total cringe. The whole ending was baby food. There was a good twenty minutes to half an hour in the start of the latter half where I was emotionally invested and immersed, and that all came down to Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley being able to project believable emotion through their performances. Whatever they got paid for all this, it was too little. The Rey/Kylo dynamic is the saving grace of the entire sequel trilogy, and the fact that this movie had one emotionally weighty and evocative lightsaber fight in it is the only thing keeping it from being prequel level trash. Congratulations, Rise of Skywalker, you're slightly better than loving Revenge of the Sith. Blech.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

El Generico posted:

Congratulations, Rise of Skywalker, you're slightly better than loving Revenge of the Sith. Blech.

Nope.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
That is an amazingly hot take on RoS/RotS

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I agree that RoS is better than RotS, only because if I actually saw RotS then it exists in my world view and it shouldn't. I saw RoS and I wish I hadn't it was terrible.

Edited for clarity.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Your life is actually better for not seeing RoS.

Literally a healthier, better life.