Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shame Boy posted:

it died? i check it every like year or so just because it's a weird anthropologically interesting record of the old internet and i never noticed

Sorry for just lazydumping Wikipedia...

quote:

On August 29, 2016, Max Goldberg announced that YTMND would likely soon be shutting down, citing ill health and the site's inability to fund its own hosting fees from ad revenue. Goldberg stated "Besides being a time capsule I don't really see a reason for it to continue to exist... It seems like the internet has moved on...And I've moved on too. I don't have much interest in the site beyond it being good memories."[11]

In August 2018, Archive Team revealed that it had archived the entirety of the site's content up to that point.[12] On May 12, 2018, the site stopped accepting new user signups as a result of Google shutting down version 1 of its ReCAPTCHA anti-spam mechanism.[citation needed]

In May 2019, the site experienced major downtime, which led media outlets to report that the site had been shut down permanently.[12][13] The site itself partially came back online, with a page stating that there had been a "catastrophic failure" in its database, and stating that whether the site will be restored was undecided.

Modernization

On May 17, 2019, Max Goldberg wrote to supporters on his Patreon that an "outpouring of support" had convinced him to work to save the site, opening a community discord and soliciting input on modernizing the site. Suggestions included abandoning Adobe Flash Player in favor of HTML5, as well as implementing Transport Layer Security and "other modern necessities."[14] On May 21, 2019, the main page was updated to reflect that YTMND subdomains and search functionality should be functional. He announced the launch of the HTML5 player using Ogg Vorbis on June 5, 2019.[15] The restoration of search functionality on a repaired database was completed in December 2019.[16]

On March 31, 2020, YTMND re-launched in earnest, including all of the previously hosted YTMND sites and the ability to log in, create accounts, recover passwords, and post new sites. It has also been updated to work using HTML5 media playable, HTTPS communications, and includes a mobile-friendly interface.[17]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the real man was the dogs we met along the way:unsmith:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

EorayMel posted:

gently caress I can't remember if it was in YOSPOS or a gray forum but I suddenly remembered bitcoin also being explained as "imagine a person with a very poor understanding of economics buying slim jims, forever."

i think that was me making fun of a bitcoiner complaining about how difficult it is to buy stuff with cash. paraphrased:

* walk into the store
* go to the snack aisle
* take a slim jim
* walk to the register
* wait for the cashier to tell me the price
* get my wallet
* open my wallet
* take a fiat bill from the wallet
* give the bill to the cashier
* wait for my change
* put the change in my wallet
* close my wallet
* put the wallet back in my pocket
* walk to the door
* step on the sidewalk
* gently caress, i forgot my slim jim
* continue to break common everday processes into increasingly smaller components until i'm literally incapable of motion

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DaTroof posted:

i think that was me making fun of a bitcoiner complaining about how difficult it is to buy stuff with cash. paraphrased:

* walk into the store
* go to the snack aisle
* take a slim jim
* walk to the register
* wait for the cashier to tell me the price
* get my wallet
* open my wallet
* take a fiat bill from the wallet
* give the bill to the cashier
* wait for my change
* put the change in my wallet
* close my wallet
* put the wallet back in my pocket
* walk to the door
* step on the sidewalk
* gently caress, i forgot my slim jim
* continue to break common everday processes into increasingly smaller components until i'm literally incapable of motion

zeno's paradox, but with bitcoin!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

KnifeWrench posted:

zeno's paradox, but with bitcoin!

finally! a reason for inflation to happen on the right side of the decimal point

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Erenthal posted:

oh boy, seasteaders

so i went looking for my collation pdf "In Golden Waters", but the external drive i stored it and the original txt files i used is dead as a door nail and my old mediafire link seems to be deceased

I put it and a few other SA things on Google drive. inc. "Fatlantis" and the Malador or whatever cyborg 6-dick dragon people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Syd Midnight posted:

I put it and a few other SA things on Google drive. inc. "Fatlantis" and the Malador or whatever cyborg 6-dick dragon people

malatora

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

has the giant price jump as the plague forces people to use cash less and therefore bitcoin happened yet?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Syd Midnight posted:

Yes! Fatlantis was the other one I had.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Filecoin went live at block 148,888 because it means “prosperity for life” in Chinese, and that it's Fourteen Eighty-eight with another Eighty-eight on the end is just a coincidence, ok

these crypto guys, so coy and so clever!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

divabot posted:

Filecoin went live at block 148,888 because it means “prosperity for life” in Chinese, and that it's Fourteen Eighty-eight with another Eighty-eight on the end is just a coincidence, ok

It does mean that though? so sure they’re probably nazis too but the possibility exists that they’re just ignorant, plenty of people don’t actually know much about neo-nazi symbols.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Soricidus posted:

It does mean that though? so sure they’re probably nazis too but the possibility exists that they’re just ignorant, plenty of people don’t actually know much about neo-nazi symbols.

on the one hand, maybe the numerics are a coincidence

on the other hand, they're bitcoiners, so gently caress em in the neck regardless

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

if it was you'd think googling it might turn up more than pens and the filecoin announcement itself

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

plus you've got the whole 4 meaning death thing.

looking it up:
48: Any 3 digit numbers that ends with 48 sounds like "wealthy for X lifetimes", for example, 748 (pinyin: qī sì bā) sounds like "七世發" (pinyin: qī shì fā) meaning "wealthy for 7 lifetimes".
448 (pinyin: sì sì bā) sounds like "死先發" (pinyin: sǐ xiān fā) meaning "wealthy on death".

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

divabot posted:

wikipedia seems to say 14 is a very unlucky number (along with other numbers with a 4) in many east asian nations so perhaps these coiners made a mistake.*

database run by vampires posted:

14 (十四, pinyin: shí sì) sounds like "is dead" (是死, pinyin: shì sǐ) and because in some forms of the language, 1 is pronounced (yao) which sounds like (yào 要), which means will be, when combined, it sounds like will be dead. 74 (七十四, pinyin: qī shí sì) sounds like "is already dead" (其实死, pinyin: qī shí sǐ) or "will die in anger"
this seems good for filecoin

*or are nazis but what are the odds of that?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lonely death prosperity prosperity prosperity prosperity

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
"wealthy on death" is the Quadriga guy

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
I checked with an authoritative source (my girlfriend) who likes to point out particularly unlucky car license plates

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

if applied to the suckers' bank balance who "invest" in this then it makes perfect sense

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
they could have stopped at 888888, but nooooo

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/NicoDeva_/status/1317689811046522880

butt-touchers spent $240m of actualmoney on hardware to mine filecoin but they can't because of <incomprehensible cryptocurrency mumbling>

must die bye bye bye bye

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Qwertycoatl posted:

butt-touchers spent $240m of actualmoney on hardware to mine filecoin but they can't because of <incomprehensible cryptocurrency mumbling>

must die bye bye bye bye

I comprehended about 60% of that, but what I don't understand is why all of this napkin math wasn't doable earlier. were the policies not laid out in the test period?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Qwertycoatl posted:

must die bye bye bye bye

If I'm reading this nonsense correctly, it seems the proof of stake system in Filecoin means that it's impossible to use the computing hardware to generate enough coins to maintain proof of stake at certain levels, so you have to buy coins to be allowed to mine more of them. So, it just adds cost.

Also maybe an exit scam right on the end :lol:

KnifeWrench posted:

I comprehended about 60% of that, but what I don't understand is why all of this napkin math wasn't doable earlier. were the policies not laid out in the test period?

The testnet that was rewarding people for investing in hardware worked differently, did not require proof of stake.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 19, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Qwertycoatl posted:

must die bye bye bye bye

Mods new thread title pls

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A preview of the glorious bitcoin future

https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/september-october-2020/libertarians-took-control-of-this-small-town-it-didnt-end-well/

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

The Little Death posted:

If I'm reading this nonsense correctly, it seems the proof of stake system in Filecoin means that it's impossible to use the computing hardware to generate enough coins to maintain proof of stake at certain levels, so you have to buy coins to be allowed to mine more of them. So, it just adds cost.

Also maybe an exit scam right on the end :lol:

The testnet that was rewarding people for investing in hardware worked differently, did not require proof of stake.

it sounds like *eventually* they will be able to maintain stake, after they hit some kind of vesting threshold

I understand that the test net worked differently. my question is whether it was stated or merely implied that the system would be copied over. why would anyone invest in hardware without a plan -- in writing -- for the long term reward structure? why go all in for the test rewards? even bitcoiners are usually paranoid and distrusting enough by now to avoid that, right?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

KnifeWrench posted:

it sounds like *eventually* they will be able to maintain stake, after they hit some kind of vesting threshold

I understand that the test net worked differently. my question is whether it was stated or merely implied that the system would be copied over. why would anyone invest in hardware without a plan -- in writing -- for the long term reward structure? why go all in for the test rewards? even bitcoiners are usually paranoid and distrusting enough by now to avoid that, right?

The bitcoin simulator this is good for bitcoin roulette gif that stops on "it's just the free market at work"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely know what a fork is in the context of bitcoin, but I guess a failed wedding has to be literally that ?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Qwertycoatl posted:

must die bye bye bye bye

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

same

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin is dying bye byE BYE

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin is dying bye byE BYE

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I never thought it would actually happen to me

haven't been following the thread much recently, but I made a submission to a little hackathon competition sort of thing in a virtual tabletop modding community, and wound up winning a $100 cryptocurrency prize (there were also other non-crypto prizes). The person who sponsored that prize informed me very earnestly that they wanted to give the prize in crypto so that whoever won it would get to use it as a learning opportunity, and went on to tell me about the wonders of Dapps

I didn't have the heart to tell them I've been a paid statist shill for the better part of a decade, so I'm now the embarrassed owner of $100 worth of bitcoins I have no idea what to do with

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE could use your donation

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

seiken posted:

I never thought it would actually happen to me

haven't been following the thread much recently, but I made a submission to a little hackathon competition sort of thing in a virtual tabletop modding community, and wound up winning a $100 cryptocurrency prize (there were also other non-crypto prizes). The person who sponsored that prize informed me very earnestly that they wanted to give the prize in crypto so that whoever won it would get to use it as a learning opportunity, and went on to tell me about the wonders of Dapps

I didn't have the heart to tell them I've been a paid statist shill for the better part of a decade, so I'm now the embarrassed owner of $100 worth of bitcoins I have no idea what to do with

It is too late OP. Yoru body has turned into bitcoin. You are the bitcoin. You are doomed to go out forever and get in front of every person you see, preaching for the free market and the currency of the future.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
to truly use this as a learning experience as it was intended, I feel that the irrevocable loss of my coins should at least be accidental in some way

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

seiken posted:

to truly use this as a learning experience as it was intended, I feel that the irrevocable loss of my coins should at least be accidental in some way

put them on an exchange, you're nearly guaranteed to lose them then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

seiken posted:

buy the forums