Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tommy the Newt posted:

I view open encounters in elite a lot like the multiplayer in dark souls, most of the time it's just useless text on the floor, sometimes someone will try to kill you, sometimes you can get help... and if at any point you aren't in the mood you just opt out. Nothing wrong with opting out, but the insistence that there's no conceivable value in interaction is kinda weird to me.

Totally agree, though I still don't see how I could ever actually beat a PVP ship without months of solid grind and even then the fight would last an hour.

I just like occasionally seeing other players going about their business. I have owned the game since beta and have been interdicted by players like twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tommy the Newt posted:

I view open encounters in elite a lot like the multiplayer in dark souls, most of the time it's just useless text on the floor, sometimes someone will try to kill you, sometimes you can get help... and if at any point you aren't in the mood you just opt out. Nothing wrong with opting out, but the insistence that there's no conceivable value in interaction is kinda weird to me.

Demon's Souls is probably a good example. Die, receive health penalty, kill another player (while at a disadvantage) to remove it and continue your journey. The theory behind it is sound and fits into the lore. What actually happens is you have people just playing through the game normally and people who have intentionally suicided in order to invade. If they win they'll suicide again and pop another invasion. This is just assuming people who want to murder you - I'm leaving out the people who just want to be complete assholes (in DeS context, the gear-degrading spear) because it's the internet.

The messages system being equal opportunity help and trolling doesn't really have an E:D equivalent. Here my interaction with other players, at least in the sense that open provides, is done exclusively via deployed hardpoints. Opting out is the only logical option to take unless you're somehow flying around an engineered death machine AND someone is dumb enough to interdict you while doing that.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Seams posted:

Tried painite laser mining for the first time and made just over 80 mil in about an hour. Not bad and the only real annoyance was when my collector limpers suicided.

It's pretty much what I'm doing. I can afford a Conda now, but the Krait mkii is a nice ship. Might eventually upgrade to go exploring, or maybe do some combat.

Credits just gives you comfort to actually enjoy the parts of the game that don't pay out well.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Krait phantom is best medium-sized explorer. Asp X is similar but can't fit as many niceties, like a full sensor suite and supercruise and docking assist and two go-carts, or as many limpet collectors.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Docking computers would remove like 20% of the fun in the game for me.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Strategic Tea posted:

Totally agree, though I still don't see how I could ever actually beat a PVP ship without months of solid grind and even then the fight would last an hour.

I just like occasionally seeing other players going about their business. I have owned the game since beta and have been interdicted by players like twice

Engineering is a blemish on the game and makes it seem like it'll be impossible to compete, but I think at the root of it is the modular system itself.

When I was writing the engineer guides I ran through it all with a second account so I could be sure I knew what I was talking about, and I managed to go from the starter sidewinder to having unlocked all the useful engineers and modded 3 PvP capable medium ships in around ~25 hours. It's a long time, but not insurmountable. The issue is more that unless you fill every single slot on your ship, literally every single slot, with combat modules you are at a nigh-insurmountable disadvantage before you even start. A C1 HRP alone is a universal 13% resistance buff and about 200 hp to go with it. I think it's sad that encounters are decided in the outfitting screen when the game has such a great flight model and high skill ceiling.

Like I said earlier, a lot of gankers are actually pretty bad, but you won't beat them unless you sacrifice all your utility and pve modules, which is where the hard dividing line comes in down the middle of the playerbase. It's sad for both people who want to develop their skills and people who want to muck around in open without minmaxing. It would be feasible to solve this from a design pov by limiting stacking and compartmentalizing ships more, but they never will.

(This is for fighting back - you can build ships suitable for escape with relatively few sacrifices)

Edit: as someone who enjoys PvP, I actually really hate that my ship is 3000% better than the average pubbie and wish that I could convince more goons to join me without asking them to give up all their QoL and versatility.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 18, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dumb question but is there somewhere I can see where all my poo poo is? I'm at long sight base and would like to... go back to where I was stationed / centered at to get back to mining / doing missions / flying around but I genuinely don't remember anything. I'm on a python outfitted for deep-core mining so I feel... inadequate. I have like 600M to my name and want to get back to messing about in the game but it feels as overwhelming as the first day I played it because I forgot everything.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In the starmap, there'll be an icon over any system where you have a ship stored. Or you can go into any shipyard, look at the ship transfer window, and see the name of each system there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jabor posted:

In the starmap, there'll be an icon over any system where you have a ship stored. Or you can go into any shipyard, look at the ship transfer window, and see the name of each system there.

Ah! Shipyard is how I remember tracking poo poo. There isn’t one where I’m currently at so it was throwing me off. Thanks!

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

Mailer posted:

The messages system being equal opportunity help and trolling doesn't really have an E:D equivalent. Here my interaction with other players, at least in the sense that open provides, is done exclusively via deployed hardpoints. Opting out is the only logical option to take unless you're somehow flying around an engineered death machine AND someone is dumb enough to interdict you while doing that.

It does have an E:D equivalent, have you never read system chat? Pubbies sharing advice, often inadvertently terrible advice, is one of the main things that goes on when they aren't arguing over who loves Anime Space Princess the most.

Also if someone interdicts you there is a 100% chance they also have an engineered death machine, and that's where it can get the most fun, as what follows is a fair competition.

I still basically disagree that there's no enjoyment to be had in running away though, if by 'logical' you just mean in terms of maximising your tangible in-game rewards then yes, you're right, but there are more reasons to play the game, and if those are your only reasons for playing then it's an absolutely poo poo game for it in the first place.

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 18, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Black Griffon posted:

Are there any cool new exploration ships, or is my good old diamondback still the star whilst saving up for an anaconda and related upgrades?

The Orca makes a surprisingly kickass explorer, don't overlook it

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
A missed opportunity with Squadrons was being able to share your unused modules in storage with anyone in your squad. Of course you should be able to designate which ones you’re sharing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

FBS posted:

The Orca makes a surprisingly kickass explorer, don't overlook it

Might have to check out that as well. I've got enough cash to outfit a Krait and an Orca if I want to. Not anaconda cash yet, but that's always gonna be a long term goal for the way I play the game.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
My deep space fc adventure lasted 3.5 months. I mined up 4000 t of tritium and going to see how close that gets me to the bubble (around 15,000 LY). Then I'm going to try to bait some miners with some high trit payouts to come get me the rest of the 3000-4000 t to get all the way back.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My last deep space adventure lasted for thirty minutes. I got into no man's land, misjudged the momentum of an Asp on a high gee planet, lost 50% of my armor and headed back to my Diamondback because its more fun for valley runs on planets thousands of years from the bubble.

Edit: Is the Krait a quicker or more nimble explorer planetside or does the DBX win out there?

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 18, 2020

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I love Anime Space Princess the most!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone know a good system for Sirius missions before you get access to Sirius? Procyon is the first I found, but it has a several minute trip to the closest station.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know a good system for Sirius missions before you get access to Sirius? Procyon is the first I found, but it has a several minute trip to the closest station.

That's the best one, which incidentally is why you really should level up Sirius Corporation by dumping a few millions of exploration data on them.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Jan posted:

That's the best one, which incidentally is why you really should level up Sirius Corporation by dumping a few millions of exploration data on them.

Yeah, might just do that. I do need to get back into combat after ending my 2017 run and starting my 2020 run with exploration, but there are better ways to do that I guess.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You don't even need to go very far! Just use road to riches to do a quick loop of some Earth-Like Worlds in the bubble.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've been buying one of every ship because I have no interest in buying a carrier and have a shitload of void opal money to blow.

Just bought a Diamondback Explorer last night and was really surprised at how nicely it handles. Is it just me or is this thing about a thousand times snappier than an Asp??? Wish I'd done all of my FSD engineer grinding for this thing instead of the Asp, which feels like a whale in comparison.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sothis/Ceos courier runs were how I did Sirius back in the day. No idea if those are still good faction-wise.

Tommy the Newt posted:

I still basically disagree that there's no enjoyment to be had in running away though

It's more that if I'm not going to fight, then it's just gambling many hours of cargo/data and rebuy against a player's ability to gun me down before I high wake. So yes, there is that interaction and if it's fun for someone I'm not going to say they're wrong. If I'm in my combat ship with nothing but a rebuy, and a (if I didn't suck) 50/50 shot at winning any given fight, then it's great that PvP happened because that's what I'm looking for. That's the split.

Also I've never seen chat because "You should join global chat!" anywhere on the internet sounds a lot like Try Jumping. :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Just bought a Diamondback Explorer last night and was really surprised at how nicely it handles. Is it just me or is this thing about a thousand times snappier than an Asp??? Wish I'd done all of my FSD engineer grinding for this thing instead of the Asp, which feels like a whale in comparison.

It's genuinely one of my favorite ships in media. Looks cool as hell, handles nicely, just a rad little rascal. I've spent so many hours in that cockpit.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Made it back to my previous stations and turns out I didn't have a bunch of parts for my python but rather an actual 2nd python outfitted for combat. So that was a fun surprise. I found some flight bindings for the HOTAS4 that I'm going to try to bind/copy then make an effort to see what's new with the game.

Fun part was landing on a carrier (turns out there's plenty of those around) to use a shipyard to find where my previous home base was then getting locked in it as it went on a jump.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Black Griffon posted:

My last deep space adventure lasted for thirty minutes. I got into no man's land, misjudged the momentum of an Asp on a high gee planet, lost 50% of my armor and headed back to my Diamondback because its more fun for valley runs on planets thousands of years from the bubble.

Edit: Is the Krait a quicker or more nimble explorer planetside or does the DBX win out there?

Engineering will make the biggest difference. The Phantom has a much faster top speed (probably 80-100 higher) and similar maneuverability. I think the DBX may pitch faster but the Phantom can certainly roll faster if you care about that sort of thing.

The DBX has a better cockpit view, especially in VR, as there are no external obstructions. The interior has the standard Lakon Budget Space Box feel. It's basically a tiny Type X.

The Phantom has a much nicer looking interior, but you have external obstructions as the cockpit is on the lower side of the ship. I prefer the ship noise of the Phantom. You can also fit a much larger fuel scoop on the phantom without any tonnage difference.

I think they're both good but the Phantom has an extra slot to play with. Currently I use a DBX as my quick short-range (2500LY or so) jumper, and the Phantom as my bubble errand runner for extra cargo capacity.

I'm not so sure the Asp really has a use anymore. It may just be a bias from me though because I used it for years and I'm so sick of it. It's just not that fun to fly.

AbsoluteLlama fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Engineering will make the biggest difference. The Phantom has a much faster top speed (probably 80-100 higher) and similar maneuverability. I think the DBX may pitch faster but the Phantom can certainly roll faster if you care about that sort of thing.

The DBX has a better cockpit view, especially in VR, as there are no external obstructions. The interior has the standard Lakon Budget Space Box feel. It's basically a tiny Type X.

The Phantom has a much nicer looking interior, but you have external obstructions as the cockpit is on the lower side of the ship. I prefer the ship noise of the Phantom. You can also fit a much larger fuel scoop on the phantom without any tonnage difference.

I think they're both good but the Phantom has an extra slot to play with. Currently I use a DBX as my quick short-range (2500LY or so) jumper, and the Phantom as my bubble errand runner for extra cargo capacity.

I'm not so sure the Asp really has a use anymore. It may just be a bias from me though because I used it for years and I'm so sick of it. It's just not that fun to fly.

That's a good writeup, thanks. My goal with exploration is to either have a cool small star-skipper or a bigass ship I can imagine is an exploration frigate with labs and crew quarters and stuff, the Phantom definitely fits the former.

The Asp I'll probably fit for combat. I've dragged my Vulture out of mothballing, but I need to deal with the intensely narrow power margin before I can have fun with it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

That's a good writeup, thanks. My goal with exploration is to either have a cool small star-skipper or a bigass ship I can imagine is an exploration frigate with labs and crew quarters and stuff, the Phantom definitely fits the former.

The Asp I'll probably fit for combat. I've dragged my Vulture out of mothballing, but I need to deal with the intensely narrow power margin before I can have fun with it.

the asp is not very fast, and it's not very tough, even with engineering. but you can put rails in all the hardpoints for big damage

power plant engineering is relatively easy to unlock, and it can solve all of the vultures power issues

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
BananaBoat still BestBoat. :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Polo-Rican posted:

I've been buying one of every ship because I have no interest in buying a carrier and have a shitload of void opal money to blow.

It’s snappier because it’s a smaller ship. The best exploration ship, outside of an Exploraconda, is the Krait Phantom IMO.

Also, if you want to see the Diamondback kicking some rear end, Isinona has a few where he’s piloting one on YouTube.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

It’s snappier because it’s a smaller ship. The best exploration ship, outside of an Exploraconda, is the Krait Phantom IMO.

Also, if you want to see the Diamondback kicking some rear end, Isinona has a few where he’s piloting one on YouTube.

I actually prefer the DBX for endurance exploration, because the small frame is much easier to park and, when in an SRV, get picked up. Also easier to farm mats, and can out-jump everything except a bare-bones Conda, which :laffo: if you're going to spend 6+ months waiting four minutes every time you want to turn.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
The only real problem I have using DBX for long exploration is the fuel scoop, the Phantom you just don't have to stop to refuel. I get frustrated having to sit and fill up in the dbx.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's been quite a while since I last played, and I see that there are some big changes coming so it's time to jump back in and find out how much I have forgotten.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
If anyone here is still into exploring, pretty much the entire route between Beagle Point and Colonia is uncharted, I've discovered quite a few ammonia worlds and Earth-like planets

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i assume going to an anaconda from a type 9 wont leave me feeling like i'm super slow and lovely?

it would just feel, uh, normal?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

i assume going to an anaconda from a type 9 wont leave me feeling like i'm super slow and lovely?

it would just feel, uh, normal?

If you want something that handles well, you don't want a big ship. You eventually get used to it and learn to anticipate the motion. Then you get back into a zippy fighter and slam yourself into the opposite side of the station just trying to get off the pad.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mailer posted:

If you want something that handles well, you don't want a big ship. You eventually get used to it and learn to anticipate the motion. Then you get back into a zippy fighter and slam yourself into the opposite side of the station just trying to get off the pad.

this is not an answer to the question and at no point in time did i imply i couldnt fly my type 9 lol

and no, ive never crashed into the station when switching back into a more maneuverable ship. i just dont speed. it helps if you just dont try to over adjust and understand that your mass is much lower on the small ships.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If you're travelling to a known place, even Colonia, moving a few dozen lightyears above or below the galactic plane is usually enough to put you in uncharted territory. Most people just use the route-plotter and beeline.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, theoretically you'll only need a fractional difference in jump range and angle to access a literal myriad of systems completely different from threaded ground.

Also I'm heading back from my Sirius-rep discovery fling in my DBX and that Phantom fuel scoop y'all are talking about is mighty, mighty tempting.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 19, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Huge-rear end fuel scoops are fantastic and long hauls across the black would be intolerable without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I've said this before in this thread but it's hilarious how many evil npcs have ships that are just named "Hell"

"Hell" is the funniest thing for a bad guy to name his ship - and it's funnier to imagine a ton of pirates independently, without each other's knowledge, all naming their ships "Hell," until "Hell" is the most popular ship name in the galaxy

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 19, 2020