Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I ran across that one, too, obviously. But it's pretty much non-saying jibberjabber.

quote:

Add new physical memory to the computer.
I suppose 32GB isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Winmerge?

Back in the day I used to use Arraxis merge and it was awesome, but pricy

Maybe install Git and use Diff?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

biznatchio posted:

Not for Windows Update services, no, because that's one of the ways malware used to turn Windows Update off to keep compromised systems compromised. So now Windows will re-enable them when it discovers the services are disabled -- which is probably why that tool has a separate "Protect Services settings" checkbox, to try to prevent that from happening.

The only supported ways of disabling Windows Update (i.e., ways that are guaranteed to not be 'fixed' by Windows if it notices the broken config) are through the Settings app and through Group Policy. You might be able to break enough stuff to keep Windows Update disabled long-term through other means, but you're kinda doing so at your own risk and should have the expectation Windows might undo your machinations.

Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just had a bugcheck code 0x59. Looking it up, it says PINBALL_FILE_SYSTEM. When I look up what that is, it tells me it's regarding the old HPFS driver, that's long gone from the Windows NT line of operating systems. That's sure nice and not helping.

Bride of NTFS was a really great table

namlosh posted:

Hey, what's SMBDirect anyway? looks like it was a server tech that's made it's way into Win10? should I be trying to use it? I can't keep up with these things... lol

I think it's still only on Server 20xx on the server side, but win10 has client support? Anyways, very fast, low latency file access using DMA over the network. But you need a RoCE network adapter to use it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ihmemies posted:

How do I compare a couple of TB of files? I am copying them from disk to disk. I would like to know what files are identical and what not. The files have same names but they are in different places.

I tried powershell's FileCatalog thing but "ValidationFailed" result after like 24h of calculations does not help at all.

Which files are good? Which files are bad? The gently caress I know. I'd like some tool to compare them 1 by 1 and so that it saves the sha1/md5/whatever hash so it has to calculate it only once for one file...
Supposing the folder structure on both disks is identical, this lists a number of ways and tools. A starting point, at least. There's some more powershell in there. If the folder structure isn't identical, you need something like a duplicate file finder. This Nirsoft search tool can find files with the same name with differing contents. Won't show or save lists of hashes though, or even tell you what method is used to compare files.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I'm trying to install "Windows subsystem for Linux" using these instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

At step 4 it tells me to download wsl_update_x64.msi, which I did, but when I run it, this comes up:

What the heck? How can I fix this?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

School of How posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

At step 4 it tells me to download wsl_update_x64.msi, which I did, but when I run it, this comes up:

What the heck? How can I fix this?

Have you tried right-clicking the install file and running as Administrator?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can skip this step if you're content with using WSL1 (the one that doesn't use virtualization). But also, WSL2 totally works for me having never installed the Kernel package, so not sure it's even required? Or did it somehow get installed automatically.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Have you tried right-clicking the install file and running as Administrator?

There is no option to "run as administrator"

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Fame Douglas posted:

You can skip this step if you're content with using WSL1 (the one that doesn't use virtualization). But also, WSL2 totally works for me having never installed the Kernel package, so not sure it's even required? Or did it somehow get installed automatically.

When I go to the power shell to start up wsl, I get this

so its definitely not already installed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's weird, I've never seen an .exe without the option. See if you can set it to run as admin under Properties > Compatibility?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's weird, I've never seen an .exe without the option. See if you can set it to run as admin under Properties > Compatibility?

Its not an exe, its an msi. Also there is no "run as administrator" anywhere in the properties -> compatibility menu.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

it's an msi, not an exe

school of how, did you reboot after step 3?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

Weedle posted:

it's an msi, not an exe

school of how, did you reboot after step 3?

That's what it was. I just restarted and now it works.

Restart should be its own step. Each step should include doing only one thing. Also, the installer should say "you need to restart before running this installer", instead of some generic "an error occurred" message.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I have pretty annoying and regular problems with my wi-fi since I upgraded my system to win 10. My connection just repeatedly cuts out for like the first one or two hours after starting my PC pretty often since the upgrade. It's not a problem with my router I think since my phone uses the same wi-fi at home and doesn't have any problems at the same time. Whenever the connection dies I go to my taskbar, tell windows to cut the connection to the wi-fi, re-connect and everything is fine within seconds. Until the next random cut, of course. Upgrading to win 10 was the only significant change I did to my system(doubt that my new GPU has any effect on the issue) so I'm fairly confident in it being the root of the problems. I guess another avenue could be that my USB receiver is maybe too old for win10? No idea but I'm gonna put it out there.

I'm aware that this sort of issue is rather tricky and might not be solved with some advice from here but I'm still going to give it a shot :wave:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

This is just unhelpful anecdotal reminiscing, but in the last five years I've personally had two instances where 'it can't be the wifi, every other device is connecting fine' turned out to be the most awful red herring and replacing the router was what solved it after weeks of trying everything else. The problems manifested themselves with devices new to the network though, so that's somewhat different to what you've got going on.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Tin Tim posted:

I have pretty annoying and regular problems with my wi-fi since I upgraded my system to win 10. My connection just repeatedly cuts out for like the first one or two hours after starting my PC pretty often since the upgrade. It's not a problem with my router I think since my phone uses the same wi-fi at home and doesn't have any problems at the same time. Whenever the connection dies I go to my taskbar, tell windows to cut the connection to the wi-fi, re-connect and everything is fine within seconds. Until the next random cut, of course. Upgrading to win 10 was the only significant change I did to my system(doubt that my new GPU has any effect on the issue) so I'm fairly confident in it being the root of the problems. I guess another avenue could be that my USB receiver is maybe too old for win10? No idea but I'm gonna put it out there.

I'm aware that this sort of issue is rather tricky and might not be solved with some advice from here but I'm still going to give it a shot :wave:
i had something pretty similar when I upgraded to 10, was able to fix with newer NIC drivers than Windows was pulling automatically (had to go to Intel's site in my case)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tin Tim posted:

Upgrading to win 10 was the only significant change I did to my system(doubt that my new GPU has any effect on the issue) so I'm fairly confident in it being the root of the problems. I guess another avenue could be that my USB receiver is maybe too old for win10? No idea but I'm gonna put it out there.

Does your model of USB wifi receiver have specific driver updates for Win10 from whoever made it? If it doesn't, it may be working on win10 using some generic driver package that kinda-mostly works. Or if you did an actual upgrade from 7 to 10 rather than format and reinstall, it could even still be using the 7 drivers.

(Also phones are really good at not showing wifi problems if you have a data plan, because they will instantly move traffic over to the cell network for the time it takes them to re-establish the wifi connection. But the rest of your symptoms sound very much like a software / driver problem.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Like others have said, drivers are a definite suspect.

If you can pin down the wireless chipset being used it could help you identify what drivers to try out. Is there any proprietary software involved with your wireless connection, like a brand-specific wireless manager? I know that used to be a thing, and could be a problem, too.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

School of How posted:

Do you have all your bios virtualization settings enabled? Linux doesn't work without them, I disabled it to run the new 1usmus ryzen auto overclocker and found I couldn't run linux anymore.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm using a N300 Micro Wireless USB Adapter from Belkin which is real old by now so that's why it was my first suspect. My device manager shows that it has recognized it as an N300 USB Network Adapter which should be right? However after going through the page of the manufacturer I have learned that their last update for the device was for the V2 version of it with win 8.1 support. And going by the sticker on the back mine is so old that I still got the first version of it lol. Probably best to just buy a new one instead of trying to make this one work perfectly again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks for the input, folks! I'm using a N300 Micro Wireless USB Adapter from Belkin which is real old by now so that's why it was my first suspect. My device manager shows that it has recognized it as an N300 USB Network Adapter which should be right? However after going through the page of the manufacturer I have learned that their last update for the device was for the V2 version of it with win 8.1 support. And going by the sticker on the back mine is so old that I still got the first version of it lol. Probably best to just buy a new one instead of trying to make this one work perfectly again.

If it's not already installed a quick search suggests you would want the second download from this page unless you are running a 32-bit version of Windows 10 for some reason (the first driver is x86, the second AMD64, but Microsoft apparently decided you need to click on the download link to find this out):

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=RTL8192CU

But yeah, getting a newer wireless adapter is not a bad idea, either.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

October update is out, went from starting download to logging back in post-update in about two minutes, so either it's seriously lightweight or they finally sorted out the update process like people were always talking about?

New start menu tiles are nice. No idea if anything else has changed.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

October update is out, went from starting download to logging back in post-update in about two minutes, so either it's seriously lightweight or they finally sorted out the update process like people were always talking about?

Like last years october update it essentially adds a marker that switches on already existing features. Like activating dlc that's already on disk.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's another minor update like 1909 last year that is basically a patch rollup + small changes. It isn't doing the semi-reinstall that major updates do (ie no windows.old directory of your pre-update install).

If you're on 2004 that is. For anyone that isn't on 2004 yet it will be a full update that takes longer.

(I'm 100% in favor of this on/off schedule of major and minor updates. They've been more consistent with fewer fuckups, and 1 of these update-reinstalls per year is good enough to keep 10 working ok.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

How's 2004 these days? Getting stable?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

astral posted:

I pushed it out to my org without any issues.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

astral posted:

It's been fine for me but I don't have any weird hardware, either.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

It's all about 20H2, which went live today.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

New start menu tiles are nice. No idea if anything else has changed.

Not available for me yet but I'll probably download the ISO and clean install over the weekend anyway. Here's hoping if this is the build that finally fixes the 'System Interrupts using 100% CPU' problem that's been around for years. Bizarrely enough, it's mitigated by just keeping task manager open all the time, but still a ridiculous problem to have.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you know what chipset your Bluetooth is? I know Intel had a driver update a while back that was dodgy, and there has been another recent driver update for it.

I don't, but where I can find more info on this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyril Sneer posted:

I don't, but where I can find more info on this?

You can try checking the hardware ID in Device Manager and searching on the result. This page kind of walks through that process:

https://superuser.com/questions/1251720/how-can-i-find-out-the-model-of-my-wifi-bluetooth-chip

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah I was wondering about that only yesterday, when I was a few minutes late to a zoom meeting because Windows wanted to finish installing an update on boot, that I thought was taken care of the day before when I clicked Update and /Shutdown.

It should complete the process, so a reboot first, and then shutdown.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm replacing a dying hard drive in a laptop, do I need to connect to a Microsoft Account beforehand to get the OEM license to transfer, or can I just extract the key or something?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 3, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm replacing a dying hard drive in a laptop, do I need to connect to a Microsoft Account beforehand to get the OEM license to transfer, or can I just extract the key or something?
If you're just replacing the hard drive you don't need to do anything. It will reactivate automatically when you reinstall windows.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, laptops keys are stored in the Bios anyways. And if you're replacing a hard drive, get an SSD, not a hard drive.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

If you're cloning the install from the old drive, no action needed.

If you're installing from scratch and the laptop came with windows 10 (or 8), it *should* be no action needed. The windows key is blown into the mobo so when you install it should pick it up from that.

If it's an old laptop that originally came with win 7 you need either the sticker key, or to connect to a MS account and start the license transfer before wiping the old install.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lambert posted:

Also, laptops keys are stored in the Bios anyways. And if you're replacing a hard drive, get an SSD, not a hard drive.

Yeah, that's my plan. So just put Win10 install on a stick, install on the new ssd and everything should just work right? Do I just skip activation during install?

Edit: ^Ah, okay, it's a Dell from like a year or two ago, so it should be a simple install then.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Yeah, that's my plan. So just put Wino10 install on a stick, install on the new ssd and everything should just work right? Do I just skip activation during install?

Yes, get the Media Creation Tool to create a setup stick. It should automatically install the correct edition for your key, pulling the key from the Bios. The "I don't have a key" option won't even appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been unable to update my windows for months now. Thought maybe the Feature update would push things through, but same issue there. Besides security, the repeated background downloads are annoying. I've followed a bunch of guides but nothing seems to work.

Should I just try a full windows reinstall? Can I do it in a way that keeps other programs intact (backups?)? Getting CS4 installed off old DVDs took hours, would rather avoid redoing all that.