Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Millennium body was decent but that head was way too feline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

For me I'm torn- I love Nirasawa's designs. His S.I.C. reimagining of old Showa characters are some of my favorites and I love his drawings. But when he did them for Godzilla kaiju, it put them into an area more like a toku tv show. Instead of clumsy and lumbering beasts, they suddenly felt like modern day Kamen Rider action characters. It simply didn't feel right for me. But that was the oeuvre of Final Wars so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I am sorry, but I do not believe that the song that lady sang to wake up King Caesar is actually an ancient Japanese song passed down for generations in the Azumi clan.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

An ancient guardian who lives in a mountain and takes too loving long to wake up? King Caesar, more like doggy Daimajin!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It does seem pretty sus that they'd name their God "Caesar", come to think of it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It’s the name of the Okinawan lion gods that are all over there. Shesar.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Millennium body was decent but that head was way too feline.

Man, before my cat got sick he was a super huge fat chonk and his face looked exactly like certain Godzilla designs. The fatter and more feline designs always hold a place in my heart because of it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The original Millenium one with the purple fins is probably my second favorite design overall, after the Destroyah Burning Godzilla.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Does gigan have an origin? Is he just hired by other villains? What is he paid with?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Does gigan have an origin? Is he just hired by other villains? What is he paid with?

"Hey Gigan, we're gonna go gently caress with Godzilla. You in?"
"HELL YEAH"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think the GMK Godzilla is my favorite Godzilla, I like a Godzilla with a bigass dome on him and I like the wide face.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Watched Gamera: Guardian of the Universe for the first time in ages and it's a sick film. One thing I do miss though is the techno. The UK VHS in which I first experienced the film swapped out a lot of the score with techno for reasons that remain mysterious. Although that's not a good creative choice, it's certainly an interesting one and part of me will always find watching scenes of it not as cool without the techno.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-J8QSjHerA&t=187s

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Karloff posted:

Watched Gamera: Guardian of the Universe for the first time in ages and it's a sick film. One thing I do miss though is the techno. The UK VHS in which I first experienced the film swapped out a lot of the score with techno for reasons that remain mysterious. Although that's not a good creative choice, it's certainly an interesting one and part of me will always find watching scenes of it not as cool without the techno.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-J8QSjHerA&t=187s

what on earth :psyduck:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I rented that movie all the time as a kid. I thought it was badass.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sometimes I wish I hadn't gotten into Kaiju stuff, because then I wouldn't know about all the amazing merchandise that it would be prohibitively expensive or complicated to buy

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1318727322468458497?s=20

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

He's a WMD and/or totem spirit of some weirdo group of aliens. In Godzilla vs. Megalon, the Seatopians ring them up to ask if they can borrow their giant space monster to handle the combined threat of Godzilla and Jet Jaguar and they're like "sure okay."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He's also supposed to be a cyborg but I forget if this is ever explicitly stated

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

It looks like Godzilla is trying to gently caress that octopus.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Criterion Godzilla set completely reignited my childhood love of kaiju and now I'm watching all the Godzilla I have immediate access to. I know that the Netflix anime movies are supposed to be bad but is there at least some decent giant monster action? I hated KOTM but still really liked whenever a fight happened

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dangerous Person posted:

The Criterion Godzilla set completely reignited my childhood love of kaiju and now I'm watching all the Godzilla I have immediate access to. I know that the Netflix anime movies are supposed to be bad but is there at least some decent giant monster action? I hated KOTM but still really liked whenever a fight happened

I think a lot of the negative reaction to the anime trilogy was because people went in expecting monster action. There is almost no monster action.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yikes. Guess I'll pass

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Dangerous Person posted:

Yikes. Guess I'll pass

Yeah, it starts with some guy blowing his brains out after describing how bleak everything is thanks to Godzilla.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Godzilla's presented more as a massive, slow-moving disaster, like a walking mountain. It'd be okay if there were interesting characters or a good plot but alas.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'll watch it, and probably enjoy it, but I'm not going to be all "THIS WAS THE BEST/WORST THING EVER" about it like some fans

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Vinylshadow posted:

I'll watch it, and probably enjoy it, but I'm not going to be all "THIS WAS THE BEST/WORST THING EVER" about it like some fans

Good luck to you. It truly is v.bad.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Good luck to you. It truly is v.bad.

I've already seen the anime trilogy twice, funnily enough

It's yet another flavor/style of kaiju flicks, where the monsters are the backdrop for inter-personal drama, which obviously ain't for everyone

I do wish the novels had been animated though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

I've already seen the anime trilogy twice, funnily enough

It's yet another flavor/style of kaiju flicks, where the monsters are the backdrop for inter-personal drama, which obviously ain't for everyone

Im throughly okay with inter-personal drama, i just want it to be interesting

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Like looking back, hate is a bit too strong of a word for me, I can sorta see what they were going for? But there's just no emotional impact. And it really suffers from proximity to Shin Godzilla, which also really departs from formula and gives us this radical reinterpretation of Godzilla, and is scary and funny and sad and gripping.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the anime trilogy is frankly a lot of why I cut KotM so much slack because, like

both of them are way too heavy on really bullshit human stuff that I don't care about... but at least the KotM human bullshit has some funny lines and the movie has legit, no-bullshit, gorgeous monster action, whereas the anime movies had basically loving nothing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
and the weirdest part is, i ordinarily actually really like urobuchi, you'd think he'd have done really, really well with this

like, two of his biggest and most famous series (fate/zero and madoka magica) have loving amazing squishy-human vs. kaiju action sequences (Saber and Lancer vs. Caster's monster in FZ, Homura vs Walpurgisnacht in Madoka) despite neither of those series actually being kaiju poo poo. given he very clearly has a giant loving boner for humans beating the poo poo out of/shooting/sword-lasering 50-foot-tall abominations the most reasonable outcome for "Urobuchi does Godzilla" is "Shadow of the Colossus but insanely gory and with Toho monsters."

and instead we got that. and that really, really annoys me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The trilogy is the kind of boring sci-fi that just doesn't get made anymore, so I'd be fond of them just for that. But I also quite like that it's just about a guy who has one goal and how he deals with the string of events that suggest that goal is impossible.

Vinylshadow posted:

I really wish they'd at least translate the novels.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know how Anno said Toho wanted to basically just use Anno as a figurehead, they'll make the movie, and he was like 'No no, I'm making this loving movie how I want to make it?"

The anime Godzilla trilogy is basically what if Anno just let Toho make whatever and cashed a check.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My toy of the anime Godzilla is very cool and I will never watch the likely bad movies to avoid attaching bad memories of it. Best of all worlds.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The sad part of the anime trilogy is that they have some really good ideas. Unfortunately, it's like half an hour of good stuff over the 4.5 hour runtime.

I thought they were mostly fine, but was pissed that they teased Mechagodzilla and Mothra and completely failed to deliver.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fenix down posted:

I thought they were mostly fine, but was pissed that they teased Mechagodzilla and Mothra and completely failed to deliver.

I was kind of disappointed that they showed the egg. It worked better when "Mothra" was the whole culture and the adaptations that let people live in the Godzilla world. Showing the actual egg was just fanservice

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Looks like Arrow is releasing the Gamera films in separate “era” box sets so if you missed out on the big boxset you can still get the films

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:toot:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A bunch of listings for Godzilla vs Kong listings went up on Bigbadtoystore. There's three options. Either BBTS made a mistake and these toys aren't part of the Godzilla vs Kong line, the Godzilla vs Kong line will include monsters not in Godzilla vs Kong, or Godzilla vs Kong is going to be a very different movie from what I'm expecting

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140406
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140407
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/140405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Gaz2k21 posted:

Looks like Arrow is releasing the Gamera films in separate “era” box sets so if you missed out on the big boxset you can still get the films

Oh good. Here's hoping they release them in the States. Looks like they're just region 2 preorders on their website.