Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mexican Coke is a lie.

Most bottlers there use HFCS now, including the ones that export to the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Using HFCS when the ingredients say cane sugar seems to be massively illegal and while the Coca Cola Company has literally started a war in the past I don't think they're lying about Mexican Coke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you can get a bottle that says “cane sugar”, great, but it’s largely coasting on its reputation.

If it says merely “sugar”, it’s totally HFCS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. I'll have to check out what it says at the bottles at my local grocery store next time I'm there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

have you... had either of them lately?

diet coke and coke zero are both sugar free coke but they taste pretty significantly different. for me diet coke isn't terrible but has kind of a weird artificial taste to it, whereas coke zero is almost indistinguishable from regular coke (if i had them side by side i could probably tell you the difference easily, but in practice it's close enough that i don't care).

Captain Hygiene posted:

But wasn't the flavor also a big chunk of it? Like, I can drink Coke Zero because it actually tastes reasonably like Coke, but Diet Coke has always tasted like harsh metallic garbage.

The Bloop posted:

same, but opposite

I like Diet Coke but not Zero literally because it tastes so much like regular coke, that's entirely the point of it

Looked it up, the difference is a single ingredient.

quote:

Responding to a consumer decline in fizzy drinks as people become more health conscious, the soft drink giant launched the first can of Diet Coke in 1983, followed by Coke Zero in 2006 and the launch this year of Coke with Stevia.

Diet Coke was marketed as having no sugar, as is Coke Zero - so what's the actual difference between them, bar the packaging?

As it turns out, there is one crucial difference between the two soft drinks.

It comes down to a single chemical

Zero Sugar is crafted to taste like 'Full Fat Coke', whereas Diet Coke is meant to have its own, distinctive flavour.

To achieve these different tastes, Zero Sugar uses sodium citrate and Diet Coke has citric acid.

And the difference between Coke Zero and the new Coke No Sugar is the new one will use Stevia as the sweetener.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

CommunityEdition posted:

I guess I’m still not quite clear why “women like our product” is a problem that must be solved by driving away women.

Fun reminder that Spike TV's founder and chief got fired when too many women started watching "The First Network for Men."
https://nypost.com/2005/01/31/spike-chief-pushed-out/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like Pepsi Max a little too much, but never assumed it wasn't basically industrial runoff.

Wasn't there a freaky Avatar themed nightclub in South Africa?

Also reminded of how Young Justice got cancelled because too many girls were watching it, and supposedly girls don't buy merchandise. (While I'm fairly sure the show barely had ANY available merchandise at all, it sure as hell wasn't like Transformers or My Little Pony) Marketing suits really, really hate when reality doesn't live up to their made up metrics and will try to force it to conform.

Still reminded of a video from an interview somewhere, with the host describing Coca-Cola's marketing issues, the guest says it sounds like Coke is having an identity crisis, and the host says that's pretty much exactly right.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
If you want to guarantee real sugar in your coke then buy the kosher stuff. Can't have HFCS when the C isn't kosher for Passover!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I didn't mean to imply Diet and Zero were the same, just that afaik it isn't a classic/new coke thing. Though I don't even know if those formulas are the same here as in the US.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are two reasons marketers want to protect men at all costs.

1) They're sexist pricks who are like 65 years old
2) Theyre is a general belief, born out in some data, that men are fragile so that once they perceive something as being sufficiently feminine they abandon it completely, and the % isn't super high. For an easy example most gender neutral names rapidly become girls only names. Women conversely don't really seem to care, if they're intrigued by content they go there regardless of how it is coded.

The thing is, men make a lot of money so of course you want to advertise to them and drive products to them. So a lot of media groups are in a constant battle to create new male spaces before they get overrun by the icky girls and the men abandon it for the next no girls allowed clubhouse.

But Ive got a huge audience, men and women! Well congrats, products that specifically target men aren't gonna be as interested in advertising on you, especially not in the really valuable big tie up kind of way so your back to general market and competing with all the other general market sites.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Oct 19, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yorkie bars in the UK looked like this for 10 years, between 2002 and 2012:

I have no idea if this was a successful branding - it put me off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given they retooled the brand and then sales immediately jumped like 40% for a few years in a row, yes it was successful, and yes, it was stupid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yorkie bars in the UK looked like this for 10 years, between 2002 and 2012:

I have no idea if this was a successful branding - it put me off.

Well it's Nestlé, they can go gently caress themselves on general principles.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

It's artifacted all to hell but you get the idea.

https://twitter.com/Soda_Poop/status/200028761381539842

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I'm apparently the only one in the world who prefers HFCS to cane sugar. I associate the taste of sugar with diet drinks because it tastes like aspartame.

Arizona tea switched over to sugar briefly, and it sucked so much.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hyperhazard posted:

... sugar ... tastes like aspartame.

What the gently caress is wrong with your tongue?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I mean, if I ate a pack of Equal and a pack of sugar, I'd be able to tell the difference, but in drinks they taste the same. :shrug:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I mean, if I ate a pack of Equal and a pack of sugar, I'd be able to tell the difference, but in drinks they taste the same. :shrug:

Some Goon posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with your tongue?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Barudak posted:

There are two reasons marketers want to protect men at all costs.

1) They're sexist pricks who are like 65 years old
2) Theyre is a general belief, born out in some data, that men are fragile so that once they perceive something as being sufficiently feminine they abandon it completely, and the % isn't super high. For an easy example most gender neutral names rapidly become girls only names. Women conversely don't really seem to care, if they're intrigued by content they go there regardless of how it is coded.

The thing is, men make a lot of money so of course you want to advertise to them and drive products to them. So a lot of media groups are in a constant battle to create new male spaces before they get overrun by the icky girls and the men abandon it for the next no girls allowed clubhouse.

But Ive got a huge audience, men and women! Well congrats, products that specifically target men aren't gonna be as interested in advertising on you, especially not in the really valuable big tie up kind of way so your back to general market and competing with all the other general market sites.

While that's true about how men react it isn't really why they tried to get it segmented that way. For diet sodas women already drink it so having that group split in half (or whatever) is more expensive. For something like Spike TV they would have sold all their advertising slots based on target demos, and when the actual demographic shifts then all of those advertisers will be pissed (and perhaps have grounds to sue) and leave and they'll have to find all new advertisers.

This isn't to say we should shed a single tear for them of course.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I like diet Dr Pepper.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maybe it's obvious but this all seems to make it pretty clear that advertising is dumb as poo poo

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe it's obvious but this all seems to make it pretty clear that advertising is dumb as poo poo

Ad guy: “Well, 50% of it is dumb as poo poo, you just don’t know which 50% :smug:

E. Also, to the guy who said Mexican cokes are a lie, I literally have several glass bottles in the fridge right now that all say “hecho en Mexico” and explicitly list “cane sugar” on the ingredients after carbonated water. I’m sure there are Mexican Coca Cola facilities that use HFCS, but you can pretty easily find the ones that use cane sugar if you read the ingredient labels they’re required to stick on em.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 17:50 on Oct 19, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Diet Coke chat reminded me that a sequel to the Forrest Gump novel (or was it a novel sequel to the movie?) had a section where Gump was left in a room with New Coke and a bunch of ingredients and accidentally made it taste really good. Some executive tasted it and immediately demanded he give the formula but since he's Gump he couldn't remember.

Should've made another movie.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also reminded of how Young Justice got cancelled because too many girls were watching it, and supposedly girls don't buy merchandise. (While I'm fairly sure the show barely had ANY available merchandise at all, it sure as hell wasn't like Transformers or My Little Pony) Marketing suits really, really hate when reality doesn't live up to their made up metrics and will try to force it to conform.

The same thing happened with Batman Beyond, from what I recall. As a girl who loved that show I was so mad when it just suddenly stopped and they blamed me for daring to enjoy it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

What’s your point? I already said I believed there were facilities that didn’t use cane sugar in Mexico and this would be evident from the labeling.

I’d upload a picture of my bottle but apparently imgur won’t let you do that on mobile without downloading their app and gently caress giving them an opportunity to harvest my personal info for no good reason

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

What’s your point? I already said I believed there were facilities that didn’t use cane sugar in Mexico and this would be evident from the labeling.

I’d upload a picture of my bottle but apparently imgur won’t let you do that on mobile without downloading their app and gently caress giving them an opportunity to harvest my personal info for no good reason

You can upload directly to Imgur from the Awful app (at least on Android anyway.)

Of course, you can't post new threads from the Awful app (again on Android.)

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Oh neat! How do you upload directly from awful? (I’m on iOS but assume they’d at least have similar mechanisms)

E. Here goes

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 17:11 on Oct 21, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does the ios Awful app have the bbcode dropdown menu when you're writing a post? For me it's in there as "Insert Imgur", right next to "Insert Image"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

1redflag posted:

Oh neat! How do you upload directly from awful? (I’m on iOS but assume they’d at least have similar mechanisms)
Just tap as if selecting something and pick img.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looked it up, the difference is a single ingredient.

And the difference between Coke Zero and the new Coke No Sugar is the new one will use Stevia as the sweetener.
It's an ingredients list, not a recipe. Unless it's on the reportable list of additives, natural and artificial flavorings can include any amount or mixture of beaver buttholes etc. Coke is basically caramel colored Sprite using this groundbreaking analysis.

Beverage marketing is weird, their job is basically take any number of things that people really want in a blind test and figuring out how to not completely fail taking it to a market where people have drank the same thing for 20 years and are not actually in the market to change. It's really funny Dr Pepper did the Coke zero thing exactly but said the quiet part out loud.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

1redflag posted:

You can also tick "Desktop Site" from your browser menu for a lot (all?) Mobile browsers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Advertising (and marketing with it) is a mixture of things which work and a bunch of idiotic stupid tummy feels. Even people who say their disrupting the whole industry, changing the relationship, using only data do unsupported things all the time, especially with their marketing where what is the most effective thing is typically embarrassingly not cool.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

Diet Coke is what new Coke was actually based off of- they had to mess with the formula because just replacing the sugar in Coca-Cola with artificial sweetener resulted in something that tasted off, so they gave it a different flavor to start with. And when sales of Diet Coke cut into regular Coke sales to the point that it was threatening market share (I forget if Pepsi ever pulled ahead in all this), they decided to try giving Coke the Diet Coke flavor, but with sugar. That didn't work out so much.

So presumably Coke Zero is something that they can do now with artificial sweeteners that taste more like sugar than Nutra-Sweet or whatever did.

Do you have a source on this? I've read a lot about the New Coke debacle and I don't remember ever seeing something about it being all about Diet Coke (other than colas in general losing market share to diet soda and non-cola soft drinks). A Coca-Cola executive even specifically said Diet Coke wouldn't be reformulated to match New Coke when asked.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1318358602000650241?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you have a source on this? I've read a lot about the New Coke debacle and I don't remember ever seeing something about it being all about Diet Coke (other than colas in general losing market share to diet soda and non-cola soft drinks). A Coca-Cola executive even specifically said Diet Coke wouldn't be reformulated to match New Coke when asked.

I thought Diet Coke came out after New Coke and was basically New Coke with a sugar substitute.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought Diet Coke came out after New Coke and was basically New Coke with a sugar substitute.

Diet Coke was introduced 3 years before the New Coke "experiment"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Proteus Jones posted:

Diet Coke was introduced 3 years before the New Coke "experiment"

by time travelers

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

by time travelers

That's some Man in the High Castle kinda poo poo. Soviets won the Cold War but sent back a case of Diet Coke. Soviets then lose the Cold War, ensuring that no one ever has to drink Diet Kvass again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
That thing stuff like 7-Up does where the default version has a bunch of artificial sweeteners just kills a drink for me. I'm an adult with a working sense of restraint on this one issue, I want a can of sugary carbonated water maybe once every three weeks, get the gently caress out of here with this hairspray tasting lab experiment, how dare you try and sell this as if it's the real thing and not the sad placebo version.