Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Null of Undefined posted:

I just watched Jennifer's Body and I totally loved it. Perfectly good vampire type story and it's such a time capsule of the mid 2000s (right when I was in highschool) that I actually turned into dust and blew away in the wind. It reminded me of trends that I had completely forgot about. Holds up remarkably well with only a few lines that aged like milk.

Why did people not like this movie? Was it just because Megan Fox was in it? Also, why did people not like Megan Fox in general?

All time bad marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

graventy posted:

Boy you guys talked up Crawl or Die but I kind of feel like I'm watching someone's fetish movie here.

Well, every horror movie is somebody’s fetish. The series has planned out as a trilogy, and the filmmakers reportedly kept getting skeevy offers from studios to make part 2 really horny in exchange for funding.

But they turned them down, because Crawl Or Die is actually kinda sweet. The director and star have a Sheri Moon / Rob Zombie kind of relationship where it’s like “look at how badass my girlfriend is”.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

[...] Was it just because Megan Fox was in it? Also, why did people not like Megan Fox in general?

The Transformers movies I think

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched Jennifer's Body and I totally loved it. Perfectly good vampire type story and it's such a time capsule of the mid 2000s (right when I was in highschool) that I actually turned into dust and blew away in the wind. It reminded me of trends that I had completely forgot about. Holds up remarkably well with only a few lines that aged like milk.

Why did people not like this movie? Was it just because Megan Fox was in it? Also, why did people not like Megan Fox in general?

Fox is a limited actress and like people and fans kind of typecast her as the vapid sexpot and didn't really give her credit for being self aware of it and playing with it for laughs. And apparently someone like blackballed her from the industry or something?

I think Jennifer's Body is a really weird joint that either works for you or it doesn't. Its super dated in a lot of ways, kind of exists in a hyper reality where nothing quite makes sense, and is bizarrely non-linear. For some people that all really clicks and for some its just super annoying.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 19, 2020

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, every horror movie is somebody’s fetish. The series has planned out as a trilogy, and the filmmakers reportedly kept getting skeevy offers from studios to make part 2 really horny in exchange for funding.
While I will defend Flanagan, I feel like it feels true that nobody has ever been horny over his movies. Even the one about the lady cuffed to a bed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Flannagan's horny for his movies. He always casts a lead who looks strinkingly like his wife who he also met by casting.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

STAC Goat posted:

Fox is a limited actress and like people and fans kind of typecast her as the vapid sexpot and didn't really give her credit for being self aware of it and playing with it for laughs. And apparently someone like blackballed her from the industry or something?

She called Michael Bay a Nazi, just in reference to how bad he was to work with, which he didn't take kindly and Spielberg got personally mad about her using the term loosely, so she got big enemies

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I will always appreciate Ghost of Mars for inspiring this all-purpose reaction image.

This image is older than the Iraq war and I've had it saved on every PC and laptop I've owned since I first found it. :corsair:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The only thing I remember from Ghosts of Mars:

Bad guy looks like he’s in Mudvayne
Fart rock score
Extremely funny CGI decapitation

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hosted a vampire double feature tonight and it was awesome. For some reason this years crop of horror movies have been quite the bangers:

The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (YouTube): Kick rear end Kung fu and Peter Kushing being awesome around China. Shaw Bros and Hammer horror what’s not to love.

Planet of the Vampires (Amazon): another genre-bender with sci-fi this time. You can absolutely see the influence this had on Ridley Scott’s sci-fi films, especially Prometheus. A twisted (and cheap) Forbidden Planet.

Highly recommend both.

Since I scroll here for movie ideas, I’ll post what I’ve seen so far this month for others.

Carnival of Souls: only watch this after midnight or the magic is ruined.
The Exorcist: GF’s first time. Amazon has the original cut if you care about that (I do).
The Incredible Shrinking Man: incredibly maudlin and well done.
The Curse of Frankenstein: so far has stuck out as the most ‘Halloween’ feeling.
The Fly 1958: The final scare is surprisingly creepy.
The Descent
Cemetery Man: total insanity.
Fiend Without a Face: the exact 50’s b-movie I wanted.
Brain Damage: hilarious and awesome. Big rec.
House of Frankenstein: second place for ‘Most Halloween’.
The Invisible Man 1933: classic.
Halloween: Also GF’s first time. Which got me to see this with fresh eyes again, which is always nice.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1978
Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires
Planet of the Vampires

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 19, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Anyone have a favorite Hershell Gordon Lewis picture?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Y’all better not be bad mouthing Ghosts of Mars.....

Alright alright it’s poo poo but it’s fun poo poo

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm on board for multiple anthologies with Clancy Brown as the mortician. great character for a pretty fun, solid anthology

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Carnival of Souls: only watch this after midnight or the magic is ruined.

Only watch it in black and white or the film is ruined.

Also if you're watching a bunch of horror movies, feel free to join us in the October Challenge thread (if you aren't already).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

JordanKai posted:

I will always appreciate Ghost of Mars for inspiring this all-purpose reaction image.

This image is older than the Iraq war and I've had it saved on every PC and laptop I've owned since I first found it. :corsair:

I'm saving this image, it's genuine art

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

weekly font posted:

All time bad marketing.

Yes, yes, and yes. She spoke a bit about it coincidentally several days ago:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2556473/why-megan-fox-says-she-was-vilified-when-making-cult-hit-jennifers-body

But also it seems like the flick is more respected now which is good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that besides everyone conveniently forgetting why they were so mad at Diablo Cody and Megan Fox back then (misogyny) it's aged particularly well as the rare palatable microcosm of its era. It captures the 2000s so perfectly with so much self awareness—but not self hatred—that it's become a film that taps hard into nostalgia.

Scott Pilgrim also captures the era well in a similar way, focusing on a different subculture, but has not aged nearly so gracefully. Thanks in large part to its fanbase, but also because it's not as self-aware as it tries to be nor as self-critical as it should be.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Blood Feast is incredible.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ignore me if this involves ~files~ but where is everybody watching Alligator? I have a hankering to watch it this week and I can't find it streaming anywhere.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Let’s post our favorite lines from Jennifer’s Body, cause there are so many good ones. For me it’s a tie between

“Know what this is for? It’s for cutting boxes.”

And

“I forgot to read Hamlet. Is he gonna gently caress his mom?”

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Question: I have never seen The Fog, and I was thinking about doing it for the shameful blindspot for the challenge.

Looking at reviews, it looks like it has a pretty uneven support. I want to make sure I'm doing something that feels essential because it's good, but also feels like a zeitgeisty movie that is surprising I've never seen. Does The Fog fit the bill?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Two Thousand Maniacs is great, just avoid Monster-a-Go-Go

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Fog is great. Good spooky atmosphere. It's also got a doofy jumpscare that makes me laugh every time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You know what always bugged me about the movie Opera?

The centerpiece image of the film, the way the needles are taped to the eyelid... she could close her upper eyelids without hidding the needles! That's not how geometry works! Like... it's a cool looking design, but it's not doing anything to actually keep her eyes open.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Question: I have never seen The Fog, and I was thinking about doing it for the shameful blindspot for the challenge.

Looking at reviews, it looks like it has a pretty uneven support. I want to make sure I'm doing something that feels essential because it's good, but also feels like a zeitgeisty movie that is surprising I've never seen. Does The Fog fit the bill?

I love The Fog. LOVE it. It's probably in my top 3 Carpenter films. I consider it essential because I consider every Carpenter film to be essential.

That being said, I'm not sure it fits the bill for the second part of your criteria. If anything, the reason I love it so much is because it feels like a throwback, it's a spooky atmospheric ghost story that begins with a story being told around a campfire. And it often gets overlooked in Carpenter's filmography just because of the other iconic stuff he was cranking out during those years.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

it owns, top 5 Carpenter imo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

You know what always bugged me about the movie Opera?

The centerpiece image of the film, the way the needles are taped to the eyelid... she could close her upper eyelids without hidding the needles! That's not how geometry works! Like... it's a cool looking design, but it's not doing anything to actually keep her eyes open.

Ha, I literally brought this exact thing up in the other thread earlier today. Agreed, a cool as hell image but one that I couldn't get scared by because it made such little sense.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Also it's not like she can actually see that, so they'd still have the same effect.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Reminds me a little of in Suspiria how the girl falls into the pit of wire. It doesn't appear to be "razor wire" like most people remember, but rather piano wire. All she has to do is stop flailing around and it probably wouldn't even cut her.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Fog has my favorite Carpenter musical title piece, and that’s saying a lot. It’s definitely one of my favorites of his, even though I don’t necessarily consider it his best. When compared to something like The Thing I just find it so much easier to watch so I end up putting it on way more frequently. It still has a serious tone, but much lower stakes and a thorough genre feel. It also has enough highlights that individually would make it worth watching:

- A rare Tom Atkins mustachless appearance
- Deborah Hill slow burn script
- bitchin minimalist score
- Carpenter himself in a Hitchcockian cameo with just as terrible acting as you are imagining
- Dean Cundey on DP doing his long, low establishing shots and the mortuary scene after JLC gets left alone is one of the best shots in horror omg I love it
- Hal Holbrook chewing scenery and diving in for cheap jump scares
- Adrienne Barbeau being a neglectful mother in order to jazz radio DJ her sultry voice for a city of like 200 people
- tons of clever budget mandated effects that have aged like a cask of Oloroso sherry

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I watched F13 Part 3 in 3-D from the boxed set last night. It was fun but oh my god were some of those 3-D effects overdone (which is something they talk about in the bonus features: it was a new type of 3-D in 1983 that the crew was literally still figuring out how to do as they were making the movie, and the actors mention that they were clearly spending more time looking for "cool things to shoot in 3-D" than on the actual onscreen performances). Some stuff, like kid with the baseball bat near the beginning, they go so close to the camera that my eyeballs couldn't even deal with it. A couple of times I had to pause the movie and :crossarms: to refocus my eyes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Fog legit owns, I never appreciated it much as a kid but it's really really good.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

"Movie dudes" with a hateboner for Diablo Cody.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I know it's not a mindblowing opinion, but gently caress me is the score for Psycho incredible.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

My Twitter Account posted:

I watched F13 Part 3 in 3-D from the boxed set last night. It was fun but oh my god were some of those 3-D effects overdone (which is something they talk about in the bonus features: it was a new type of 3-D in 1983 that the crew was literally still figuring out how to do as they were making the movie, and the actors mention that they were clearly spending more time looking for "cool things to shoot in 3-D" than on the actual onscreen performances). Some stuff, like kid with the baseball bat near the beginning, they go so close to the camera that my eyeballs couldn't even deal with it. A couple of times I had to pause the movie and :crossarms: to refocus my eyes.

How did it look in 3D, I don’t have my 3D TV set up at the moment so I haven’t been able to enjoy it, it’s something I’ve wanted for a while

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I love The Fog. LOVE it. It's probably in my top 3 Carpenter films. I consider it essential because I consider every Carpenter film to be essential.

That being said, I'm not sure it fits the bill for the second part of your criteria. If anything, the reason I love it so much is because it feels like a throwback, it's a spooky atmospheric ghost story that begins with a story being told around a campfire. And it often gets overlooked in Carpenter's filmography just because of the other iconic stuff he was cranking out during those years.
I think I'm going to roll with it just because it's a movie I've always been aware of and because I'm otherwise a big Carpenter fan. It was one of the rare horror movies my mom was fond of that she didn't just make me watch and I know I balked at it a couple of times on cable.

Thanks to everyone's input.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

The October Challenge thread has given me so many movie recommendations, a lot of which I don't know if I'd ever have found otherwise. I just watched 964 Pinocchio after seeing someone post it there and it was about as weird as I hoped and expected. I'm clicking around now for some similar movies, but a lot of them aren't quite as easy to find due to being out of print. I'm obviously going to finally watch Tetsuo: The Iron Man, and I've been able to get a copy of Rubber's Love, but if anyone has any similar recommendations that I can stream online or find a not-insanely-priced DVD of I'd be grateful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

I think that besides everyone conveniently forgetting why they were so mad at Diablo Cody and Megan Fox back then (misogyny)

I feel like this is reductive as gently caress regarding Cody and kind of ignores that, when you have a writing style as distinct and idiosyncratic as hers, there's inevitably going to be people who just don't vibe with it and don't want to see it. Like, I remember when Juno came out there was a pretty large number of people who went in with an open mind and gave it a chance and loving loathed it because of her dialogue.

And Fox is also more complicated than that, as already established; she was a very limited actress who was primarily known for very bad movies in which she existed almost solely as an object of sexualization, and a lot of people just assumed that was pretty much the extent of her acting range and that anything she was in would either use her like that or be atrocious. And because she called Michael Bay a Nazi in front of the absolute worst person she could have ever possibly said that in front of, she never really got any kind of chance to actually prove herself outside of arguably Jennifer's Body (which, as we're discussing, everyone slept on), so she just went down in history as "that girl from Transformers who was a terrible actress."

e: like, you're not necessarily wrong, I remember a lot of misogynist bullshit being thrown at Fox too (though I really don't remember Cody catching much of that, the two camps with her seemed to be "love her" or very specifically "jesus christ her dialogue is horrendous" to my memory). but that's not the whole of the situation and there were valid reasons to, at least, not trust anything they were involved with until you hear good word of mouth, even if you're the type of person to actively seek out stuff made by and starring women.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2020

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megan Fox is also great in New Girl :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I remember a lot of misogynist bullshit being thrown at Fox too (though I really don't remember Cody catching much of that, the two camps with her seemed to be "love her" or very specifically "jesus christ her dialogue is horrendous" to my memory). but that's not the whole of the situation and there were valid reasons to, at least, not trust anything they were involved with until you hear good word of mouth, even if you're the type of person to actively seek out stuff made by and starring women.

Sure, her style plays a big part. But amongst people I knew and what I read online at the time in articles and on message boards, people couldn't wait to bring up the idea that she was a former sex worker. I remember it being mentioned in every breath around Juno and around Jennifer's Body. It's worth noting that the larger horror community isn't exactly known for its acceptance of girls into their clubhouse.