Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

End of Shoelace posted:

Also, he debated ultra-Marxist Slavoj Zizek about capitalism and communism, and he prepared by reading the Communist Manifesto lmao

Rutibex posted:

worse preparation than a freshman reading the textbook an hour before the exam. utter ownage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBMmcX-5INQ

one of the greatest moments of my life was watching this unfold in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsHJ3LvUWTs

its almost 3 hours long but it's absolutely worth watching because of how thoroughly the trash panda bodies jorp

e: going into it I knew it was going to be outlandishly outmatched but never in my wildest dreams would jorp prepare for the drat thing by reading only the manifesto the night before. the drat thing was commissioned by french communists.

Hardon Crime fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The hardest part about watching this was the flesh colored mic on Zizek that often looked like a large fleshy lipoma on his cheek

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Rutibex posted:

worse preparation than a freshman reading the textbook an hour before the exam. utter ownage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBMmcX-5INQ
I bet it'd be cool to see zizek debate somebody who's read a book

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

you dont need to bring him back if you dont want to

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
homeboy shouldve brushed his teeth

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

i still crack up at the video of him driving an RC car in his pajamas

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jordan’s back

Back again Jordan’s back

Tell a friend

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

hell astro course posted:

you dont need to bring him back if you dont want to

I'd rather confront his lovely ideas head on, personally.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
He's a weird dumbass with impressive breadth but zero depth of knowledge, who sounds intelligent and profound to idiots but doesn't communicate any useful insights. His entire career was built on even loonier online leftists trying to cancel him, and him appearing to be the more reasonable and less crazy one in comparison.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Peterson crying over the story of Pinnochio is pretty great and stupid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
He should hang out with Rush Limbaugh

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

As if 2020 didn’t have enough disasters already

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
a few months ago my friends and i wound up ejecting a dude who we used to be pals with years ago, who decided 2020 was a good year to kramer in and start unironically referencing jordan peterson as an insightful thinker and railing against black lives matter. i'm sure he'll be happy to hear peterson's back in the game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The_Continental posted:

The hardest part about watching this was the flesh colored mic on Zizek that often looked like a large fleshy lipoma on his cheek

oh thank god thought i was the only one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rutibex posted:

apparently jordan peterson is not brain dead

how could you tell :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Milo and POTUS posted:

oh thank god thought i was the only one

yeah same

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

extra row of teeth posted:

As if 2020 didn’t have enough disasters already

some incredible comments already:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

oldpainless posted:

Jordan’s back

Back again Jordan’s back

Tell a friend

oldrhymeless

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bet he'd be one of those university lecturers that would get into weird rambling tangents into unrelated stuff because he has a captive audience of gormless undergrads. Like I had a marketing lecturer that would always start talking poo poo about communism for 10-15 minutes at a time.

I took an Astronomy class because it somehow fit one of my General Ed requirements, and our professor loved to talk about the dangers of cellphones and microwave radiation.

But the textbook for that class was a really cheap printout packet, so he was a good guy in my book.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Who What Now posted:

How can anyone look at that melted statue of a man and hear his kermit the frog voice and think he's the least bit strong.
he regurgitates old delusions of rugged individualism for people who feel the sting of capitalist alienation but still want to cling to strongman fantasies so that they don't have to admit that the people who have it worse than them might need something other than to try harder

like ayn rand, it doesn't matter if they're demonstrably failures by their own metric, as long as they're telling you what you want to hear

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bet he'd be one of those university lecturers that would get into weird rambling tangents into unrelated stuff because he has a captive audience of gormless undergrads. Like I had a marketing lecturer that would always start talking poo poo about communism for 10-15 minutes at a time.

That makes sense, marketing is one of the biggest evils of capitalism so of course someone who made that their career would be mad

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

The_Continental posted:

O wow he had a Benzo addiction. WTF is with right-wing wackjobs and just being hopelessly addicted to pills?!

Because they're too square to smoke weed

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

feelix posted:

Because they're too square to smoke weed

I wish you were joking but it’s this

They think weed is a drug for minorities

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I was sidelined by Jordan Peterson becoming a goon household name. It turns out that as he became more well known, he started to puppet some alt right talking points. Which was really sad to discover.

I had previously listened to a fair amount of his older youtube classroom footage, where he presented some sound ideas. Fundamental concepts like like orienting yourself towards those that have characteristics that you admire, and learning to understand what it is about those characteristics that appeal to you. He had lots of good material on self actualization. He also wasn't afraid to guide you into topics that weren't easy to approach. He spent a lot of time parsing the work of Carl Yung -- which Peterson cautioned against taking lightly, as getting to know and recognize the parts of your self which you typically hide or deny existing is something that CAN help you move forward and grow as a person, but it can also break your self image if you're not experienced and prepared, or move too quickly. But it was the depth and risk of his work that made him stand out to me. Usually a self help book seller just offers platitudes and wouldn't risk exposing the reader to anything as advanced as Yung.

(granted, I think these lectures were for graduate level psychology students, not your average person seeking help on youtube, but it was helpful for me.)

I know SA hates the guy, but his older material was really the sort of thing you had to pay a lot of money to have access to via university. He put it all online for free, which is cool.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

feelix posted:

That makes sense, marketing is one of the biggest evils of capitalism so of course someone who made that their career would be mad

out of all the evils of capitalism that is one of the biggest? i don't think it makes the top ten.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you are going to apply bad philosophy to your broke brains at least pick a cool guy like Alan Watts and do a lot of drugs :hmmyes:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Usually a self help book seller just offers platitudes and wouldn't risk exposing the reader to anything as advanced as Yung.
dude carl jung is like the nikola tesla of psychiatry

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Caesar Saladin posted:

out of all the evils of capitalism that is one of the biggest? i don't think it makes the top ten.

All the evils of social media (basically everything about it beyond a piece of software to save media and communicate with friends) is a form of marketing and that alone puts it near the top

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Cubone posted:

Is that supposed to be a disparagement? Have you not heard the "in" opinion that Tesla was the real genius and Edison is a usurper?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nikola Tesla never scored

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cubone posted:

what's the analogy here? Is Jung good because AC beat DC for widespread adoption and made other important contributions to electrical engineering? Is Jung bad because Tesla was otherwise something of a crank who died poor?

efb

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

IIRC, there was a lengthy article from a few years back that went into why JP was bad and harmful, but also mentioned something about how he'd made a blog post about how easy it would be to become an alt-right grifter shortly before he reinvented himself as one. Can't find the article now, though. Anyone remember it?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I imagine this is like the motley crue rocketride to the top for brokebrained canadian psych professors. Instead of loose women and blow its uptight incels and all the benzos you can quaff

Also

Cowpocalypse posted:

benzo withdrawal is literally hell and like torture

I'm glad jordan peterson is struggling with it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cubone posted:

Jung wanted to gently caress pigeons?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
He was born and raised in Alberta that explains most of it, the rest of Canada apologizes for this dumbass

Cubone
May 26, 2011

feelix posted:

Is that supposed to be a disparagement? Have you not heard the "in" opinion that Tesla was the real genius and Edison is a usurper?

DickParasite posted:

what's the analogy here? Is Jung good because AC beat DC for widespread adoption and made other important contributions to electrical engineering? Is Jung bad because Tesla was otherwise something of a crank who died poor?

efb
I mean weird goons turn him into a cult figure for not being his slightly more famous mentor, thank you for demonstrating, and it's weird to refer to the second most famous and studied psychiatrist in history as somehing "advanced" that it's remarkable to "risk exposing" students to

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cubone posted:

I mean weird goons turn him into a cult figure for not being his slightly more famous mentor, thank you for demonstrating, and it's weird to refer to the second most famous and studied psychiatrist in history as somehing "advanced" that it's remarkable to "risk exposing" students to

It's actually quite risky to expose impressionable students to bad psychiatry. See also: Jordan Peterson

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

feelix posted:

All the evils of social media (basically everything about it beyond a piece of software to save media and communicate with friends) is a form of marketing and that alone puts it near the top

i agree, these forums are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cubone posted:

I still don't know how you feel about Jung or Tesla but we all agree Peterson sucks Lobster noodle.