Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Dark Project posted:

I'd love to find a good/great condition Technics SL-1200, and pair it with some kind of amp that matches well with it. Unfortunately, I have no idea whatsoever where to start when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Technics amps and receivers from the late 70s were sweet, and aren’t usually as expensive/collectible as some other Japanese brands. Or at least Sansui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Holy poo poo, today was an expensive but great day at the record shop for me:

Lots of great stuff including a beautiful copy of McCartney II and a remaindered but sealed copy of Bee Gees First. But perhaps I am most excited for that Aries record. Can you guess why from the album credits?

The big hint here is do you have your preorders in for November 6th?

Next in line for my personal hype are those two Chinese pop records from the 80s. Why they're in the easy listening section of a record store in Upstate New York I have no idea, but they're mine now. I don't think the blue cover one is as valuable as the two for sale on discogs make it out to be but poking around on eBay makes it clear it's not super common to run across Chinese pop records on the English speaking part of the internet. At least I get to be the sole listed owner of it on Discogs for a bit?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Turbinosamente posted:

But perhaps I am most excited for that Aries record. Can you guess why from the album credits?

The big hint here is do you have your preorders in for November 6th?

I only recognize Mort Garson, Moog Master. Do I win?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

I only recognize Mort Garson, Moog Master. Do I win?

Yes, yes, you do! What you win I don't know. Sure was stoked to find stealth Mort Garson music even if I'll probably have to put up with some sort of spoken prose on man's place in the universe or what ever as it relates to the zodiac over it.

edit: Here's the full jacket description of whatever this is supposed to be:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Maybe this thread can help.

Denon AVR-S650H
Pioneer SP-FS52 x2
Monoprice SSW-10 Subwoofer
U-Turn Orbit Plus (no pre-amp)

I have a pre-amp that I was using before I purchased the receiver, but this receiver has a phono input so I don't need it anymore. It's disconnected. Everything sounds amazing through the front left and front right pioneers, but I don't believe the sub is adding anything at all. How do I make the turntable play 2.1? Is it possible?

Subwoofer is definitely confirmed to work on TV/Movies/Spotify when played through the receiver. I know I don't want surround sound obviously with a turntable (I have rear speakers as well), but the bass boost from the sub would be nice if I can figure out how to make it work through the phono inputs. Help, I am audio stupid!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Denon AVR-S650H
Pioneer SP-FS52 x2

I have a pre-amp that I was using before I purchased the receiver, but this receiver has a phono input so I don't need it anymore. It's disconnected. Everything sounds amazing through the front left and front right pioneers, but I don't believe the sub is adding anything at all. How do I make the turntable play 2.1? Is it possible?

Subwoofer is definitely confirmed to work on TV/Movies/Spotify when played through the receiver. I know I don't want surround sound obviously with a turntable (I have rear speakers as well), but the bass boost from the sub would be nice if I can figure out how to make it work through the phono inputs. Help, I am audio stupid!

Does each input have its own settings in the menu?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Yeah my guess would be that the phono input is setup to output to the L/R channels only.

that avr is not exactly, dripping in terms of I/O. if you're not able to set 2.1 out for the phono input you may have to run the turntable > separate pre > subwoofer in> denon aux in

Banano fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Denon AVR-S650H
Pioneer SP-FS52 x2

The stereo receiver will have a 2.0 setting you can use for when you select "phono". If it's some convoluted interface then most likely you can find a PDF file with the manual floating around online. I have a Denon receiver too but I set all that up like 12 years ago so I can't remember how the gently caress it works. There might also be a setting called analog which is what mine is on.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Hmmmm. I'm not at home, but last night just quickly trying to make it work, I did hit the settings button while on the phono input, but it just gave me adjustments for the left and right speaker levels. Maybe there is a deeper settings menu somewhere.

Edit: It looks like I can go into my TV HDMI input and access a smart menu. It looks like I may be able to change the settings of the input there.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2020

marjorie
May 4, 2014

This part of the online manual may help (scroll to "no sound is produced from subwoofer"). Specifically this tip: "You can make the subwoofer always output sound by setting the 'Subwoofer Mode' to 'LFE+Main'"might be useful.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I've gone full bore vinyl wanker idiot, help me goons

here's what's in the bottom after 4 batches of 6 records (all previously spincleaned(spuncloned?) or gone over with near mint fluid):

also, some actual records from yesterday's shop:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
That legit looks like a vinyl toaster haha.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I believe that's the one the record shop in SF has that offers cleaning services. it's a cool device and if I had my own place I'd definitely have a room dedicated to enough space for it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That legit looks like a vinyl toaster haha.

They sure come out sounding warmer, the Discogs forums told me so

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Heath posted:

They sure come out sounding warmer, the Discogs forums told me so

Would you say they come out... white hot?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Banano posted:

I've gone full bore vinyl wanker idiot, help me goons

here's what's in the bottom after 4 batches of 6 records (all previously spincleaned(spuncloned?) or gone over with near mint fluid):

How much did that cost?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Wildflowers is really nice.

I didn't need the 3rd disc though, I already have She's The One from RSD a few years ago (which has tripled in price recently btw).

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

BigFactory posted:

How much did that cost?

£250 for the ultrasonic cleaner and $500 for the cleaning motor gubbins etc. which were from cleanervinyl.com. what i actually meant to buy was this which is half the price but i had researched this all a while ago, never saved the link for it and when i came back to thinking about buying only remembered the cleaner vinyl one. the rationale behind getting it was collecting african disco records which can be fiendishly expensive, don't come up for sale often and are usually in less than great condition when they do. i figured i could perhaps rescue discs that were borderline unplayable and if they still weren't good enough for me then at worst i could punt them on for a little bit more in good conscience. so far it has worked miracles on one and done almost nothing to improve another (the more expensive of the two naturally). mantelpiece crystals arrive next week and the wooden cable risers the week after that. have no fear, i'll do a thorough review of how they all interface to affect the soundstage

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Banano posted:

£250 for the ultrasonic cleaner and $500 for the cleaning motor gubbins etc. which were from cleanervinyl.com. what i actually meant to buy was this which is half the price but i had researched this all a while ago, never saved the link for it and when i came back to thinking about buying only remembered the cleaner vinyl one. the rationale behind getting it was collecting african disco records which can be fiendishly expensive, don't come up for sale often and are usually in less than great condition when they do. i figured i could perhaps rescue discs that were borderline unplayable and if they still weren't good enough for me then at worst i could punt them on for a little bit more in good conscience. so far it has worked miracles on one and done almost nothing to improve another (the more expensive of the two naturally). mantelpiece crystals arrive next week and the wooden cable risers the week after that. have no fear, i'll do a thorough review of how they all interface to affect the soundstage

What the hell is a mantlepiece crystal?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

marjorie posted:

This part of the online manual may help (scroll to "no sound is produced from subwoofer"). Specifically this tip: "You can make the subwoofer always output sound by setting the 'Subwoofer Mode' to 'LFE+Main'"might be useful.

This actually worked so thank you!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My latest impulse buy came today:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

What the hell is a mantlepiece crystal?

If you have to ask...

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Boinks posted:

I didn't need the 3rd disc though, I already have She's The One from RSD a few years ago (which has tripled in price recently btw).

Ah yes the "restrained" 3 disk version.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

incoherent posted:

Ah yes the "restrained" 3 disk version.

I know right? This is a great album and all but what could they possibly put on 6 or 9 discs?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Boinks posted:

Was going to post about this, it really does sound great. So happy to finally have this one.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Y'all are making me impatient for my Wildflowers album. I got the shipping notification today, but it'll take a couple days to arrive it looks like.

E:

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This actually worked so thank you!

Glad it worked! :hfive:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I also got the Wildflowers 3 lp. Sounds great, the extra songs range from good to great. And I wish I had some of the extra material from the 7lp version. The home recordings are good, and the live stuff sounds good. Don’t think the price difference is there, but I would have paid $100 to get that extra stuff as well.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mail call:

This album makes me want to put on a trench coat and chain smoke outside behind my high school cafeteria.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Another one for the ATLP-120 crew.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have they repressed Dreams? I have an original 60s copy that I found a few years ago.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Heath posted:

Have they repressed Dreams? I have an original 60s copy that I found a few years ago.

Yeah, it's this month's Classics release from Vinyl Me, Please. Everyone is gushing over the quality of it in the user reviews on discogs .

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Dark Project posted:

I'd love to find a good/great condition Technics SL-1200, and pair it with some kind of amp that matches well with it. Unfortunately, I have no idea whatsoever where to start when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I think it depends entirely on how much you want to spend. If you want a bargain, check Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist constantly and pray for something decently priced. Caveat emptor: there's obviously no guarantees there to condition/functionality though and you will likely see all sorts of poo poo before you find a decent one. If you want to pony up more cash for a decent used unit then Reverb.com is your best bet, and honestly the route I would go given the ridiculous prices I've seen locally. Is there a particular model that you're looking for or do you just want an SL-1200 regardless of which revision?

New revisions of the SL-1200 exist but they are ridiculously expensive ($1000+) and there's even an audiophile version labeled the Panasonic SL-1200G.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

VMP is having their Black Friday sale right now I guess. Some of the prices are pretty laughable but there are a couple records that I am eyeing where the sale puts them at normal market prices. Just worried about getting a messed up record and then receiving store credit if it is sold out.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

sporklift posted:

VMP is having their Black Friday sale right now I guess. Some of the prices are pretty laughable but there are a couple records that I am eyeing where the sale puts them at normal market prices. Just worried about getting a messed up record and then receiving store credit if it is sold out.

I dont know much about VMP but are their exclusives worth the mark up?

I'd love to pick up their TVOTRs "Return to Cookie Mountain" LP but Im seeing it cheaper elsewhere.

It is one of my favorite albums of all time so Im more than happy to pay what theyre selling it for if their pressings are worth it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont know much about VMP but are their exclusives worth the mark up?

I'd love to pick up their TVOTRs "Return to Cookie Mountain" LP but Im seeing it cheaper elsewhere.

It is one of my favorite albums of all time so Im more than happy to pay what theyre selling it for if their pressings are worth it.

VMP recently jacked up prices on just about everything a few months ago, so this new "sale" for the most part is just bringing prices back to what they used to normally be. The non-member $39 sale price ($32 for members) of Return to Cookie Mountain is a complete joke and you can find the same edition for much cheaper elsewhere.

Having said that, there are a handful of titles in the sale that are decently priced. There aren't any super amazing steals but something like Jorge Ben for $20 or Moses Sumney for $17 are worth a pickup.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Good to know, thanks!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
My table's (Pioneer PL-L800) automatic arm has started to drift. It starts in the middle of the first song now even after adjusting the little positioning screw - I have it turned as far as it will go in the direction the manual told me to go, and when I move the arm it won't stay in position, just keeps sliding slowly inward. It plays fine once I start the record, and it sounds good, but it's a little annoying. I guess it's a common problem with this model, so I'll have to do some more research on it. On the one hand I'm afraid of accidentally breaking anything on it, but also I think it's a testament to how good the thing is that it can have components wear out decades later and still sound this good. It works totally fine aside from this.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Even though I hosed up the address, the postal service was able to figure it out. I'm so stoked for this album on vinyl. They also tossed in the CD and a demo comp from their label, which is kinda quaint and I'm a little excited to listen to it on my way to work tomorrow.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Anyone remember that brief moment in history when LPs came with a CD copy of the album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CPL593H posted:

Anyone remember that brief moment in history when LPs came with a CD copy of the album?

Shellac still does this