Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm probably the one pissing help desk off but I keep getting new hires that don't have the correct access rights in our Oracle set up. I put in a ticket to global corporate help desk (mandatory) when I'm at work (3pm to 5am CDT) and the next day when I come in I always have two emails from help desk.

Email 1, 8am:

quote:

Restating what I said in the ticket. "Need to confirm that this is your issue."

Email 2, 10am:

quote:

Ticket closed, no feedback from user.

Aw hell no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Nothing pisses me off more when a ticketing system is used to track how many tickets are closed, rather than how many issues are resolved.

gently caress that support queue and any manager that supports that way of thinking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's easy to get a number for closed tickets. Natural language processing is still a ways off from being able to parse the notes to determine if the resolution was satisfactory.

But managers aren't paid to give a gently caress, if the weekly plots show them getting good numbers it's case closed, job done, where's my bonus.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Joe's boss tried to set up a user on the FTPS server out of hours. He couldn't figure out how to do it, but turned off the IP address check on the data channel in attempting to make it work.

I don't even give a gently caress any any more. I've told him in an email that it will risk leaking data until he turns it back on. He can log in and fix it.

E: This is the same guy who lost a ton of data by overriding my failsafe script last week after it tripped to prevent data loss. I need to come up with a fake name for him too.

Lum fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 17, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Speaking of machine learning, what pissed me off today is having to convert a machine learning python application into c++. Using the c++ API of the library (ONNX in this case) is easy enough. Preparing the data to be fed to the black magic that happens there is a loving nightmare. It's python, it's numpy, it's scipy, there're algorithms, complicated algorithms written in those libraries that may or may not have equivalent in c++. And then you have to deal with the python specific crap (or numpy, no idea who does what in there).
Have an array of 100x100 of floats, called dm (yes, all the variables are cryptically named, because gently caress you), send it to scipy like this: ndimage.measurements.center_of_mass(dm > 0) ends up in there as an array of 100x100 of bools that have true where dm had a value > 0 and false otherwise. loving hell. I just wanna scream into the void, but for now I'll just settle for some beer and hoping to forget that python, numpy and this entire crap exists by tomorrow. Monday it'll be another day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Numpy is a black hole where you irretrievably convert optimism into confusion.

Like it seems like the perfect solution to some number crunching you have to do.. and somehow you never get a working or maintainable script out of it. I think I've finally taught myself to never ever consider it again.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Lum posted:

E: This is the same guy who lost a ton of data by overriding my failsafe script last week after it tripped to prevent data loss. I need to come up with a fake name for him too.

How bout 'humpty dumpty'?
as in, you know, the cautionary children's tale of 'humpty dumpty logged into a firewall?'

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xzzy posted:

Numpy is a black hole where you irretrievably convert optimism into confusion.

Like it seems like the perfect solution to some number crunching you have to do.. and somehow you never get a working or maintainable script out of it. I think I've finally taught myself to never ever consider it again.

Maintainability is never a concern for these people. It has good and complicated algorithms in there that do poo poo, this is why they use it. Tomorrow ... the hell with tomorrow, let others deal with the junk.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

as in, you know, the cautionary children's tale of 'humpty dumpty logged into a firewall?'

Half tempted to call him Kyle, because he keeps punching holes in things

Weedle
May 31, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FeeVlNtO3Yg

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Hmmm.. decisions, decisions.

At a new store we are building, I have the ability to get fiber from a local outfit. But I have a conflict of interest.... The owners of this local fiber outfit also own and operate a small store of the same type we are building. In fact their fiber/ISP NOC is in the same building as their store. They are a "hole in the wall" type store, and we are a 25k sq.ft. "big box" style store, and building only 1 mile from them.

So... I can get fiber. But we will likely be putting the other half of their company out of business.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Today I found out my direct report

-Came in on the weekend to help with someone doing something particular - good work, didn't need to be asked, wonderful.
-Brought his dog with him, we are a secure site & have working dogs. He has been told not to do this, yet did it again.

why does this always happen :(

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

is this employee doing any of the weird "this dog is a service dog I swear" routine

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
nah, it's more "I have a great dog look at my dog give me attention"
and "I was in one of the peripheral buildings so I didn't think I was really 'on site' so I thought it would be ok"

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

angry armadillo posted:

-Came in on the weekend to help with someone doing something particular - good work, didn't need to be asked, wonderful.
-Brought his dog with him, we are a secure site & have working dogs. He has been told not to do this, yet did it again.

Of these two things I’d be more annoyed at the weekend one. Unless he was already scheduled to work that day (or gets OT), you shouldn’t be encouraging your direct reports to work above and beyond their standard working hours. Whatever it is he helped with, I’m sure it could wait until Monday.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

angry armadillo posted:

I get that this is somewhat annoying because you have already asked them not to do this but boy would this not make a blip on my give-o-poo poo-ometer. I probably would have told them why its important to not do this, ask them to not do it again, and move on with my life.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

“Hey mate, good job on the weekend. Just FYI, please don’t bring your dog in again. You did a great job though. Thanks very much.”

It’s not a hard message to communicate.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Steakandchips posted:

“Hey mate, good job on the weekend. Just FYI, please don’t bring your dog in again. You did a great job though. Thanks very much.”

Did you miss the part where he'd already been told not to bring the dog in?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nope.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Did you miss the part where he'd already been told not to bring the dog in?

I have also had to tell people not to cook fish in the breakroom and its never ruined my weekend.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah absent any sort of "if you keep bringing your dog this is going to bring poo poo down on me which is going to roll downhill" justification, that feels very "who gives a crap" to me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is there some kind of magical galaxy brain way to do SQL that I'm missing? I learned to do SQL a certain way and I'm at a loss as to why I got rejected after a technical take-home. The thing is that I know the answers are correct because I upload the tables into BigQuery and test all of my answers there.

I generally use table aliases in order to avoid using subqueries in my answers, and I avoid using self joins to filter data since they're generally harder aesthetically to read (unless there's a parent-child relationship in the same table). My syntax and methods are "highest ranked answer on Stack Overflow".

I'm in my final rounds with a job I am excited for but I want to cover my bases nonetheless.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Knot My President! posted:

Is there some kind of magical galaxy brain way to do SQL that I'm missing? I learned to do SQL a certain way and I'm at a loss as to why I got rejected after a technical take-home. The thing is that I know the answers are correct because I upload the tables into BigQuery and test all of my answers there.

I generally use table aliases in order to avoid using subqueries in my answers, and I avoid using self joins to filter data since they're generally harder aesthetically to read (unless there's a parent-child relationship in the same table). My syntax and methods are "highest ranked answer on Stack Overflow".

I'm in my final rounds with a job I am excited for but I want to cover my bases nonetheless.

Sounds like you ran into someone who only accepts "their way" for queries and anything but that way is wrong. If possible, can the interviewer tell you what they didn't like about your query?

I had an interview once where a company didn't like some of the functions that I was using because it wasn't available in their older version of SQL and they neglected to tell me that before I started writing out my statements :eng99:.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Knot My President! posted:

Might also be a good place to check in with - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2672629

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Am I having deja vu or did we discuss this here already like 3 weeks ago?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

That is the jist of how the conversation went.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Am I having deja vu or did we discuss this here already like 3 weeks ago?

We did. I don't have the effort in me to look who the previous poster was, but apparently twitch (I guessed it was twitch) rejected a candidate for the exact same reason.

It was twitch right Knot My President?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So my next scripting job modifies a config file which if hosed up will cause a P1 incident (like 500 sites will go down) even worse this is being done to automate a regular change request from Sales that's annoying and fiddly to do and takes us Infrastructure peeps away from real work. It also runs things as admin on remote servers, which one depends exactly what Sales asked for

What's the betting that tomorrow I'm going to have the same argument with Joe about complexity and validation, because this one has ended up even longer than previous ones because I need to make drat sure Sales can't enter garbage data, and that failures are handled cleanly to avoid collateral damage.

One of his anti-complexity arguments is maintenance given that most of the team don't know Powershell, but a) we're recruiting b) given the scope for fuckups, does really want someone who doesn't know Powershell maintaining thisand c) If it breaks, just revert back to manual until we can fix it.

Tomorrow will be fun.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lum posted:

So my next scripting job modifies a config file which if hosed up will cause a P1 incident (like 500 sites will go down) even worse this is being done to automate a regular change request from Sales that's annoying and fiddly to do and takes us Infrastructure peeps away from real work. It also runs things as admin on remote servers, which one depends exactly what Sales asked for

What's the betting that tomorrow I'm going to have the same argument with Joe about complexity and validation, because this one has ended up even longer than previous ones because I need to make drat sure Sales can't enter garbage data, and that failures are handled cleanly to avoid collateral damage.

One of his anti-complexity arguments is maintenance given that most of the team don't know Powershell, but a) we're recruiting b) given the scope for fuckups, does really want someone who doesn't know Powershell maintaining thisand c) If it breaks, just revert back to manual until we can fix it.

Tomorrow will be fun.

If one configuration file can bring down 500 sites, the issue isn’t if someone knows powershell or not.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

If one configuration file can bring down 500 sites, the issue isn’t if someone knows powershell or not.

ding ding ding we have a winner

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Oh wow, thank you! Reading now

duffmensch posted:

Sounds like you ran into someone who only accepts "their way" for queries and anything but that way is wrong. If possible, can the interviewer tell you what they didn't like about your query?

I had an interview once where a company didn't like some of the functions that I was using because it wasn't available in their older version of SQL and they neglected to tell me that before I started writing out my statements :eng99:.

Yeah, I use SQL Standard but most dialects use table expressions so I dunno :I

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heard back from a job I'm interviewing for. Already did two interviews with them. Now they want me to do an assessment before they make an offer. I hope I don't gently caress that up, because I really want to :yotj: out of my current job. No more user support, no more toxic work environment, reporting directly to management ...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do places still make you take those dumb personality tests?

I have never called in sick to work when I actually was not sick

"Strongly agree, agree, neither agree or disagree, disagree, strongly disagree"

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Do places still make you take those dumb personality tests?

I have never called in sick to work when I actually was not sick

"Strongly agree, agree, neither agree or disagree, disagree, strongly disagree"

Apparently I have to give a presentation, do a case-study and have an interview. Totally agree on the personality tests and the like. "Which identifies you the most? Which the least? Pick one: leader - follower - shy - dead". It depends on the situation, stop asking me these dumb questions (unfortunately not an option).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Sickening posted:

It's IIS, and it's a third party CMS. I can't control that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Personality tests are a huge huge red flag that the place isn't the most inclusive in the world since their primary purpose is to screen out people they don't want working there within the letter of the law.

Think about that sick day question from the perspective of a single mother who might have taken a sick day to care for a ill child. Then think about statistically who is likely to be a single mother.

There is zero scientific evidence backing any of the outcomes that the tests purport to give. Study after study has shown that a single person given the same test can often product overall different outcomes. The point is for gotcha questions to create FUD in the applicant and give the hiring body a not race/culture reason to not hire someone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 21, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bull3964 posted:

Then think about statistically who is likely to be a single mother.

Women?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Lum posted:

Half tempted to call him Kyle, because he keeps punching holes in things

Tory MP names - Boris, Jacob, Sajid, Priti etc etc

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't be obtuse. Single parent families are more prevalent in minority groups, due to other structural racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And lets all say it together, taking PTO for sick of is just as valid as for sick with.