Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So do you essentially need either a Geo user other than Traveler or a claymore for Geo Hypostasis? If so I may be locked in to needing to invest in Noelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

AweStriker posted:

So do you essentially need either a Geo user other than Traveler or a claymore for Geo Hypostasis? If so I may be locked in to needing to invest in Noelle.

No. You don't have to break the thingies but any claymore user works fine.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Tabletops posted:

No. You don't have to break the thingies but any claymore user works fine.

Oh. How do you deal with it without breaking the things, then?

(I say I'd be locked into investing in Noelle on account of not having any other claymore users.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah you kinda need a claymore user to beat the rock cube. Ningguang might work too? Haven't levelled mine so I can't test.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can slowly chip him down without destroying the rocks. Thats how I did the first time since I didn't have any claymore users at the time and I thought the fight was just loving designed to be a tedious slog until I co-op'd with a friend and saw the error of my ways.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like the character specific recipes. Even fischls dish is chuuni as gently caress

They can be pretty good.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah you kinda need a claymore user to beat the rock cube. Ningguang might work too? Haven't levelled mine so I can't test.

Ningguang was able to blow up the pillars at a safe distance. I have a feeling I need to upgrade her artifacts so that she can down the pillars in time though.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

AweStriker posted:

You only need (an underleveled) Noelle at the end with her ultimate ready to destroy the pillars before it heals itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UICfg9XJnk&t=375s. Otherwise, use long range to attack the naked cube energy and/or bait out an attack by walking away from the pillars and then proceed to melee when it whiffs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hearing all these anecdotes I feel really thankful that I got Razor from the start. Never had to think about all these things that require claymores.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
All elemental attacks do some damage to the pillar so you just have to hold your elemental skills for the final burst phase if you don't have a claymore user in your team when fighting the earth cube. But bow/sword/spear will do nearly no damage to the pillars so if you used your skills right before that phase you're probably going to have to repeat it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I uh... I did the story crane domain with Xiangling as my only fire.

That was some pretty silly poo poo.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

kater posted:

I said gently caress it when I got to that part and quit out and grabbed amber to do that part specifically. I usually have amber on party 4 to solve torches and fire puzzles, particularly timed ones. Wasn't able to solve the timed frost ones until I got chongyun though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

How do you unlock character specific recipes anyway?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

They're just regular recipes, but if you cook them with a certain character the recipe becomes their signature dish instead.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Squiddycat posted:

How do you unlock character specific recipes anyway?

The little character swap icon by the current cook will glow whenever anybody in your party has a special effect associated with the recipe. Some characters' support skill is a chance to double the cooking output of certain types of dishes, but each character can occasionally produce their signature variant when cooking a dish. It's only got one effect level, so even if you screw up the timing you'll get the signature dish, which is always better than the delicious version of whatever it was replacing. (even if the description doesn't sound that way)

The Pyro-blooded rookies both burn a basic rez item, Fischl occasionally becomes possessed by dark spirits of storm and nightmare while laying out cold cuts, and if you can wrest the ancient secret of pizza from Stormterror's Lair, Jean will restore order.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

The little character swap icon by the current cook will glow whenever anybody in your party has a special effect associated with the recipe. Some characters' support skill is a chance to double the cooking output of certain types of dishes, but each character can occasionally produce their signature variant when cooking a dish. It's only got one effect level, so even if you screw up the timing you'll get the signature dish, which is always better than the delicious version of whatever it was replacing. (even if the description doesn't sound that way)

The Pyro-blooded rookies both burn a basic rez item, Fischl occasionally becomes possessed by dark spirits of storm and nightmare while laying out cold cuts, and if you can wrest the ancient secret of pizza from Stormterror's Lair, Jean will restore order.

Is it a chance or 100%?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

100%? In this game?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

Is it a chance or 100%?

It's a chance, independent of the chance for double output. Maybe about 30%?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

ThePineapple posted:

Ok I'll give that a shot. Sadly I literally only have one-star beginner polearms so I don't think Xiangling will be doing much damage yet.
It's weird to invest in so few characters when it seems like I'll be switching out party members frequently(?) to get the right roles and elements. Already it sounds like I'll want to pick up Barbara and switch out one of my lineup with her?

You'll get Barbara for free once you hit AR20. She's a healer, so you'll need her in the Spiral Abyss (endgame dungeon that opens up at AR20) but rarely or never in the over world.

You can level characters up to level 20 if you want, it doesn't take that much resources, it's when you start ascending them that you'll run into resource issues quick.

The best spear for DPS Xiangling (Crescent Pike) is craftable at the blacksmith and you'll get access to it fairly early on, so don't worry about that. Use the MC in the meantime, you'll get a free 4-star sword called Prototype Rancour that's great for her very soon if you haven't already gotten it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Glazius posted:

Jean's is noticeable because she has a chance of getting the special food and doubling it iirc. Go grab those regular mushrooms lying on the ground you're going to need it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finished the current main story chapters and reached AR31. The characters and dialogue in this game are pretty enjoyable (Paimon has actually grown on me as a pretty effective comic relief character; the protagonist and him are sort of like a manzai duo or something). A lot of this story segment was just doing random stuff, but it was still fun walking around and telling women they smell nice and trying to get coco goat juice for Qiqi.

I noticed that there are these dungeons that aren't domains in Mondstadt; are those just things you do once and get a key from (to unlock those shrine thingies)?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

the 5k mora expedition is still a complete joke but if that info in that 1.1 reddit post is accurate about not locking characters out of your party for being sent out itd at least be worth doing I guess.

Now that I have more expedition slots I generally split them between mining and meat, since I find that I'm often running low on meat since my best recipes all use it.

kater posted:

It was a pain trying to angle her bear so that it wouldn't light the wrong things on fire. I managed to figure it out by positioning it in places where it couldn't reach any other torches (which it would otherwise autotarget).

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The one-off domains are there for keys and one time boost of loot and adventure XP yeah.

Warning: the Luhua Pool ones are pretty dangerous and require the best gear and team.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm not sure who here plays multiplayer but there seems to be a certain bug in that mode

where those balloon plants will spawn and move at increasingly high speeds, in a slightly orbital pattern around one player or the other, forever. after a while they're moving so fast that they just flicker in and out of existence all around the screen constantly like some kind of hosed up dust particle effect

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You can slowly chip him down without destroying the rocks. Thats how I did the first time since I didn't have any claymore users at the time and I thought the fight was just loving designed to be a tedious slog until I co-op'd with a friend and saw the error of my ways.

The pillars are geo objects which means they count as having geo-type shields when it comes to taking damage. Geo shields are weak to three things: claymores, geo attacks (i.e. Ningguang, geo MC's skill and burst), and overload. You can beat the geo cube without bringing a claymore user, but honestly it's the easiest way to deal with the thing.

Note that ore rocks and breakable rock piles are also geo objects.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Wave posted:

I think debate club vs aminus is only even worth comparing on Diluc specifically because of his triple E. For everyone else I don't think it's as close. Debate Club is one of the better 3* weapons, but Aminus is also probably the second best craftable behind the OP spear.

Which spear is this that's OP?

I'm sitting on enough ores/crystals to craft three 4* weapons, but I'm not sure what to invest in. I have three 4* claymores already (though I'm using the fully refined Debate Club on my Chongyun) - Rainslasher, The Bell, and Favonius Greatsword (this is R2). The Bell seems kind of lovely if I'm understanding it correctly; being able to proc only every 45 seconds for a shield that lasts only 10 seconds seems kinda bad.

For spears, I'm using White Tassel on my Xiangling. Only 4* I have is Favonius Lance.

Danann posted:

The one-off domains are there for keys and one time boost of loot and adventure XP yeah.

Warning: the Luhua Pool ones are pretty dangerous and require the best gear and team.

Ah, I should get around to those then. For a while I thought they were just some sort of repeat of the those domains you do early into the Prologue quests, but today I noticed that they give keys.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ytlaya posted:

Crescent Spear. It's not "do another hit for X% of the damage done" it's "do another hit for X% of attack" and the spear attack style is a lot of small hits. You can seriously almost double her damage with that buff up at max rank.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ytlaya posted:

I'm sitting on enough ores/crystals to craft three 4* weapons, but I'm not sure what to invest in. I have three 4* claymores already (though I'm using the fully refined Debate Club on my Chongyun) - Rainslasher, The Bell, and Favonius Greatsword (this is R2). The Bell seems kind of lovely if I'm understanding it correctly; being able to proc only every 45 seconds for a shield that lasts only 10 seconds seems kinda bad.

For spears, I'm using White Tassel on my Xiangling. Only 4* I have is Favonius Lance.

Ah, I should get around to those then. For a while I thought they were just some sort of repeat of the those domains you do early into the Prologue quests, but today I noticed that they give keys.

The craftable Crescent Pike is arguably best in slot for DPS Xiangling (but useless if you're not autoattacking with her). At least until you're kitted out in super high end artifacts at which point the 5-star Skyward Spine may be better.

Both of the craftable claymores are very good, Prototype Aminus is just an excellent weapon all around and while Whiteblind might seem bad in comparison, it's just custom tailored for Noelle. None of the 4-star ones you have are particularly good though. Favonius Greatsword is okay on a claymore user with a spammable short CD ult, so Chongyun sorta fits there, but I'm not sure if I'd take it over Aminus.

As for swords Prototype Rancour is excellent. Catalysts are both sorta eh. Mappa Mare is okay. The bows are both pretty terrible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
And I've gotten all the geoculus. That was kind of exhausting. I look forward to the hunt for whatever electroculus will be.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Reckon I got lucky on the starter wish. Sucrose, Xiangling, Noelle and two Beidous with twenty rolls

I'm getting a lot of three-star weapons, do I generally want to combine duplicates to increase the bonus, or turn them into EXP for four-star weapons? Aside from the weekly supply bundles, are cash shop crystals only used for buying Primogems to turn into wishes? Do I need to use ten wishes at once to get the guaranteed four-star character, or can I do wishes one at a time?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

bandaid.friend posted:

Reckon I got lucky on the starter wish. Sucrose, Xiangling, Noelle and two Beidous with twenty rolls

You sure did. Holy hell

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm getting a lot of three-star weapons, do I generally want to combine duplicates to increase the bonus, or turn them into EXP for four-star weapons? Aside from the weekly supply bundles, are cash shop crystals only used for buying Primogems to turn into wishes? Do I need to use ten wishes at once to get the guaranteed four-star character, or can I do wishes one at a time?

You'll get enough 2* and 1* early on that you shouldn't have to touch 3*s for EXP. I still don't much, because later on you'll plenty of crystals as well.

Right now, crystals are pretty much for converting 1:1 into primo.

The pity timer runs regardless of doing single or 10 pulls. It's technically more efficient to single pull because you can stop when you want.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 20, 2020

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Thankyou!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Come to think of it, is there any other use for excess 3* weapons besides XP? Selling/discarding them just seems to give enhancement crystals that give less total points than just using the weapon directly. :thunk:

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Klee reminds me of ziggs in LoL so I have to have her

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
On the topic of food items:

Checking all the available recipes and your current characters is a fantastic idea. Some of the recipes are extremely powerful or useful for not just boss fights and the Spiral Abyss but also for day to day gameplay. Keep in mind that the wiki isn't seemingly up to date too when I last checked. So personal exploration is a must.

Take this dish as an example.

1500s seconds of sprint time (And it seems to be linked to when you're sprinting. Or it's a bit longer than that?) is nothing to sneeze at. That is hands down the best food available in the game for exploring.

Stack Kaeya and Mona together in a party and between Kaeya's something like 25-30 percent stamina off of sprinting talent buff and Mona's increased speed and reduced stamina costs to sprint and you can sprint for like 2-3 minutes straight and cross entire provinces without stopping.

Likewise, Fischl can produce a cold cuts platter that gives you 50-55% more physical damage. The highest "common" food in the game only gives around like 32%. Meaning that any given character can just wreck face if they're DPS based. If she has Crescent Pike and some damage boosting supports Xiangliang can essentially become AOE in the Spiral Abyss by dint of just ripping through non-shielded enemies so fast that she retargets to the nearest enemy after three or five shotting her first target.

Also, every character has at least one special food. It's worth it to buy all the recipes in shops and then use the "use this character to produce this" option in crafting to check who can produce special dishes for what food. And as a side note, when the Geo Archon is released in 1.1 as a playable character he'll almost certainly get the Adeptus's Temptation epic tier food as a special rare craftable. It's like Jade Parcels in that every delicious version of the food item improves both attack by around 320 and crit by 15-20% (?) but only marginally better. However with a character boosting it if it follows the current trend then it'll most likely get an insane boost that lets you just curb stomp stuff.

Also, also, I just discovered that a constellation'd Barbara turns Mona from a dumpster truck of gently caress you into an engine of destruction capable of one shotting entire groups of enemies even at AR 30 (IE: Before Mona gets her 20% of all of her energy recharge stat adds onto her hydro damage talent. Which lets her do potentially tens of thousands of damage.). With a Thrilling Tales of the Dragon Slayer and her talent that makes Let the Show Begin skill give any active character 15% extra hydro damage for the duration of the ability there's no reason not to have it up whenever you can on Mona.

This also adds a second damage stat on top of Thrilling Tales that may multiply off of it. It gets to the point that an unconstellation'd Mona outpaces Xiangliang by doing anywhere from 500-800 damage on basic attacks with a level 60 Favonius Codex and no domain artifacts and only like two epics. Meaning you can sub her in as a burst dpser and just wreck poo poo and then switch back to Xiangliang when the buffs go down. Her crit alone does 1500-200 damage and can be spammed. Her ultimate just straight up one shots almost anything in the game world without a shield by doing 10-20k damage. And since she should build off of ER (and attack with a minor in crit if going for the Favonius Codex so you can spam ults so fast that there's like a 5 second cooldown between them wearing off)

To give an idea of how powerful Mona is when you understand how damage buff stacking works, when I was doing Elemental Crucible right before it shut down I was partied with another level 70 Mona. Meaning she had reliable access to epics and legendaries due to the world level she was in. I noticed that at certain points during the fight things were dying faster than usual. Why were they dying? Because she cast her ultimate and it did 300k damage with a mostly completed artifact set focused around attack, energy regen, and a 22% crit chance as a minor. Suffice to say that between the two of us we speed ran that thing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 20, 2020

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Archonex posted:

Likewise, Fischl can produce a cold cuts platter that gives you 50-55% more physical damage. The highest "common" food in the game only gives around like 32%. Meaning that any given character can just wreck face if they're DPS based. If she has Crescent Pike and some damage boosting supports Xiangliang can essentially become AOE in the Spiral Abyss by dint of just ripping through non-shielded enemies so fast that she retargets to the nearest enemy after three or five shotting her first target.

I assumed that food buffs weren't active in spiral abyss, since you can't eat food while you're in there

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

inthesto posted:

I assumed that food buffs weren't active in spiral abyss, since you can't eat food while you're in there

I definitely had the damage and defense buff active one time when I went in. Though maybe it was a bug.

Obviously, unless you're using character food that has a long timer it's not enough time to get through all three chambers of a floor. But yeah, it does seem like it unless they changed it?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Archonex posted:

On the topic of food items:

Checking all the available recipes and your current characters is a fantastic idea. Some of the recipes are extremely powerful or useful for not just boss fights and the Spiral Abyss but also for day to day gameplay. Keep in mind that the wiki isn't seemingly up to date too when I last checked. So personal exploration is a must.

Take this dish as an example.

1500s seconds of sprint time (And it seems to be linked to when you're sprinting. Or it's a bit longer than that?) is nothing to sneeze at. That is hands down the best food available in the game for exploring.

Stack Kaeya and Mona together in a party and between Kaeya's something like 25-30 percent stamina off of sprinting talent buff and Mona's increased speed and reduced stamina costs to sprint and you can sprint for like 2-3 minutes straight and cross entire provinces without stopping.

Also, every character has at least one special food. It's worth it to buy all the recipes in shops and then use the "use this character to produce this" option in crafting to check who can produce special dishes for what food. And as a side note, when the Geo Archon is released in 1.1 as a playable character he'll almost certainly get the Adeptus's Temptation epic tier food as a special rare craftable. It's like Jade Parcels in that every delicious version of the food item improves both attack by around 320 and crit by 15-20% (?) but only marginally better. However with a character boosting it if it follows the current trend then it'll most likely get an insane boost that lets you just curb stomp stuff.

Also, also, I just discovered that a constellation'd Barbara turns Mona from a dumpster truck of gently caress you into an engine of destruction capable of one shotting entire groups of enemies even at AR 30 (IE: Before Mona gets her 20% of all of her energy recharge stat adds onto her hydro damage talent. Which lets her do potentially tens of thousands of damage.). With a Thrilling Tales of the Dragon Slayer and her talent that makes Let the Show Begin skill give any active character 15% extra hydro damage for the duration of the ability there's no reason not to have it up whenever you can on Mona.

This also adds a second damage stat on top of Thrilling Tales that may multiply off of it. It gets to the point that an unconstellation'd Mona outpaces Xiangliang by doing anywhere from 500-800 damage on basic attacks with a level 60 Favonius Codex and no domain artifacts and only like two epics. Meaning you can sub her in as a burst dpser and just wreck poo poo and then switch back to Xiangliang when the buffs go down. Her crit alone does 1500-200 damage and can be spammed. Her ultimate just straight up one shots almost anything in the game world without a shield by doing 10-20k damage. And since she should build off of ER (and attack with a minor in crit if going for the Favonius Codex so you can spam ults so fast that there's like a 5 second cooldown between them wearing off)

To give an idea of how powerful Mona is when you understand how damage buff stacking works, when I was doing Elemental Crucible right before it shut down I was partied with another level 70 Mona. Meaning she had reliable access to epics and legendaries due to the world level she was in. I noticed that at certain points during the fight things were dying faster than usual. Why were they dying? Because she cast her ultimate and it did 300k damage with a mostly completed artifact set focused around attack, energy regen, and a 22% crit chance as a minor. Suffice to say that between the two of us we speed ran that thing.

Wow, I'll remember all this once I pull Mona. Only a matter of time, right? :v:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Venti's special dish is even better than Barbara's. It decreases both sprinting and gliding stamina consumption for 30(!) minutes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Wow, I'll remember all this once I pull Mona. Only a matter of time, right? :v:

Yeah, the meta lists are kind of bullshit in saying that Mona is only slightly above average. Diluc doesn't even begin to compare to that sort of damage.

His main advantage is that he's the only Greatsword user that is offensively oriented (Noele is a DEF oriented healer/shield generator, Beidou is literally a swap in Royal Guard spammer from DMC with all the hilarious overpowered potential that implies, etc, etc) that is offensive. Once we get another Greatsword user with a combo skill his use is probably going to drop quickly.

They're mostly based off of surface level stuff where they only look at the character in question and not the insane synergies it potentially has with others. Lisa for instance is kinda lovely on her own. But if you get a party centered around energy regen buffs (Artifacts do this. Barbara is good for this since with her c1 she regens energy every 10 seconds even if not on the field and there's a set that gives energy when a burst is used.) and pair her with Mona she does absurd damage by combining their two ults.

This is probably intentional given that when you put the two names together it creates Mona Lisa.

Ditto for the Geo aligned Traveler. By doing the story quests you'll unlock her/his constellation. One of which puts a permanent 10%+ crit bonus on anyone inside the range of their ult. Which under certain circumstances can be spammed. Pair that with certain weapons and characters and they go from mediocre to just annihilating anything every time the Geo field goes up. They're doubly useful in certain Spiral Abyss floors too, since after a certain point the damage enemies do gets absurd. You want those damage shields for one. And on top of that the skill lets you block the homing attacks that bubble Abyss Order mages produce. If you make the mistake of killing everyone except the last mage it's going to save your run.

gandlethorpe posted:

Venti's special dish is even better than Barbara's. It decreases both sprinting and gliding stamina consumption for 30(!) minutes.

Yeah, unfortunately it requires getting Venti. Which...Well, good luck. Also, you need to know how to unlock Barbatos Ratatouille so he can unlock the "true" variant of it.

Also the naming of it is kind of hilarious. Made me realize that this game has done what some other gacha games has done before and had "upgraded" better by default variants of existing characters. Only in this case it's food items that anyone can cook. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Archonex posted:

His main advantage is that he's the only Greatsword user that is offensively oriented (Noele is a DEF oriented healer/shield generator, Beidou is literally a swap in Royal Guard spammer from DMC with all the hilarious overpowered potential that implies, etc, etc) that is offensive. Once we get another Greatsword user with a combo skill his use is probably going to drop quickly.

What about Razor tho.