Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Mox Hombre posted:

Man the Beowulf shield aspect is fun as hell. in the middle of my run I learned that you can put three casts into it at once, ho boy. what's your favorite cast to put on it? I did poseidon and it was great, just bullrush in and make a big splash. if any jive turkeys are left standing, just throw the shield (with ares on special) to finish them off.

I also tried the final blade aspect and it's also fun as heck, although it takes more getting used to. I didn't like the hidden spear aspect though, felt very fragile and clunky

Artemis or aphrodite are great on beowulf cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxxidation posted:

FO1 is negligible, i barely notice it except when EM3 asterius tries to bull-rush me

any higher than that and you will very often find yourself in situations where enemy attacks/movement outpace you without hermes' assistance

IMO, FO1 turns flame chariots from annoyances into threats; FO2 turns them from threats into :gonk:

(e) especially at one dash

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 20, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't tried Forced Overtime, but I have had Benefits Package give speed to a room of witches, and I did not like it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Speed elites on FO2 is probably the dumbest thing in the game. Ok armor gen witches is the dumbest but I havent personally seen that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My experiences with Forced Overtime made it feel like anything but negligible, specifically on the final boss :negative:

It's not so bad on the rest of the game, but it turned the final boss from a fight I can pretty confidently handle into me just getting bodied hard. I did eventually beat him on FO1 just for the prophecy but I dread turning it on again.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Harrow posted:

My experiences with Forced Overtime made it feel like anything but negligible, specifically on the final boss :negative:

It's not so bad on the rest of the game, but it turned the final boss from a fight I can pretty confidently handle into me just getting bodied hard. I did eventually beat him on FO1 just for the prophecy but I dread turning it on again.

I've definitely fumbled the final boss on gimme runs with FO more than I feel like I should since I've started to use it regularly

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

Tried out EM4 for the first time, while fishing for duo boons to fill out prophesies.

I'm uh... going to need to come back with a full no, gently caress you dad build for this I think. Chiron bow with Artemis special and Aphrodite normal to rack up damage boosts is probably my best bet, plus a cast to trigger Privileged Status.

Update: gently caress me that was hard. I didn't get an ideal build but it was still pretty good, and even then I won with only double digits health left. I'll be turning that down to EM3 for the foreseeable future I think.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

No Wave posted:

Speed elites on FO2 is probably the dumbest thing in the game. Ok armor gen witches is the dumbest but I havent personally seen that.

With Benefits Package 2 I once had a Tartarus room of speed + armor numbskulls that straight up ended my run. I didn't have any boons on my Rail yet so they were actually unkillable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Update: gently caress me that was hard. I didn't get an ideal build but it was still pretty good, and even then I won with only double digits health left. I'll be turning that down to EM3 for the foreseeable future I think.

i think he's a lot less intimidating on subsequent tries because you go in there just expecting to deal with a souped-up third phase and get blindsided by all the crazy new poo poo he pulls out in phases 1 and 2

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Have the praises of the Rocket + Cluster bomb combo been sung in here yet?
I got it by accident last night.

I was filling out hammer boons for the prophecy list, so I picked up Spread Fire and Explosive Fire, fully expecting to die sometime around the end of Elysium. I added Aphrodite to Special and waited for the run to fail.

Somehow I got to Styx, and I saw the hammer reroll option in the shop. Sure, why not? Gonna die to to the endboss anyway, right?

It took away Explosive Fire and gave me Rocket Bomb and Cluster Bomb.

I've never wrecked the endboss' face quite so hard. I'm not sure if he even hit me. I definitely still had all of my DD's at the end of the fight.

For those of you who played in Early Access, was there ever a version where you could reroll hammer boons? It seems like it would be way too powerful for regular runs, but I'd really like to be able to experiment with some of the potential combinations.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 20, 2020

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I just figured out that the hidden aspect for the Sword has an unlisted effect: the defensive/slow-projectiles aura from the special also disables traps/hazards. Spike traps grey out, lava doesn't hurt, elysium&styx statues touched by the aura don't fire. It makes a few fights/maps significantly easier to handle.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I tried hidden sword aspect for the second time ever after limping to the surface with it once and deciding I hated it. Figured I have a lot more experience now, I understand builds, I understand it's very tanky and considered an extremely strong aspect...

I lost two DDs fighting Alecto and promptly quit out of the run because absolutely gently caress that aspect, it's the worst and I can't play it at all, I am never touching it again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm at the point now where I feel I usually have a good chance of beating dad with a ranged build, but it's always harder with a melee build, even really strong melee builds. I like the gameplay of mittens and secret sword most of the game, I just can't win with them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

I tried hidden sword aspect for the second time ever after limping to the surface with it once and deciding I hated it. Figured I have a lot more experience now, I understand builds, I understand it's very tanky and considered an extremely strong aspect...

I lost two DDs fighting Alecto and promptly quit out of the run because absolutely gently caress that aspect, it's the worst and I can't play it at all, I am never touching it again.

Yeah it's really different. The slow attack speed means you can't chain together as many combos as you can with the quicker weapons, but when you do manage to, you get huge numbers from the second and third swings. I really like the slow weapons because they're such a different way to play the game. They let your prioritize different boons too.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It hits so loving hard, though.

Get a feel for how to keep your combo going while dashing and aim for backstabs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One thing that really helps out the secret sword is that you can dash while winding up the super 200 damage swing and it doesn’t interrupt it, sort of like how you can dash while releasing the spear spin. Meanwhile the basic stab that gets you to that attack has a lot of range. You want to use it as a longer range weapon than the standard sword. so far it’s the only secret aspect that feels really good to me.

If you can get attack speed from hermes, take it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm at the point now where I feel I usually have a good chance of beating dad with a ranged build, but it's always harder with a melee build, even really strong melee builds. I like the gameplay of mittens and secret sword most of the game, I just can't win with them.

Pretty much slow down and don't feel like you need to be constantly attacking. Go in when he's recovering, hit him several times, get out.

90% of the problems people have with melee fighting is that they're constantly jamming on Attack and aren't able to react to windups and get pummeled.

Feel free to supplement your melee with casting so you can keep applying damage while you wait for windows.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I'm on course for my first escape with the bow. Chiron Aspect, with the weapon upgrades that add +3 arrows to the special and the consecutive damage bonus, with Doom Boons on both attack and special, alongside the Doom enhancements that let it do more damage as it stacks and do more damage after another half-second. The single-target damage is absolutely ludicrous and I'm so here for it.

e: jfc this was the quickest run I've had yet, by a very, very wide margin. i love the bow now

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 20, 2020

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I love the Sword hidden aspect, it's the only one I really like on the sword so far. Knowing when to cut and when to run is really important, and having some sort of fast cast or dash boon for emergency immediate damage is a huge help especially against Chariots and Styx rooms. But the biggest thing I've found with it is that the Special zone can just shut down projectile threats with proper placement- put it where you think the most enemy shots are coming, and don't thrown it down until you're ready to start dodging.

I had my first 8 heat run last night using it, and wasn't sure I could pull it off when it looked like I was going to be stuck in a +5% per Obol build without Athena reflections, but I got up to something like +120 coin damage per hit and double-pulse lightning +10% speed specials for clearing out Styx.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

use Heartbreak Flourish

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Organza Quiz posted:

That aspect rules, I've probably done a half dozen complete runs with it. Get Aphrodite attack on it and watch things melt.

Also the whole "tanky" aspect of it is a trap imo. You're not supposed to be standing in the aura taking hits, and I found that once I stopped focusing on always being in and around the aura in case I got hit and just focused on not getting hit period, the weapon became much better to play.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aphrodite in general is fantastic with the hidden sword aspect. Heartbreak Strike and Heartbreak Flourish give huge percentile damage increases and when you have base damage as high as the hidden sword aspect, it really adds up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Archenteron posted:

So I just figured out that the hidden aspect for the Sword has an unlisted effect: the defensive/slow-projectiles aura from the special also disables traps/hazards. Spike traps grey out, lava doesn't hurt, elysium&styx statues touched by the aura don't fire. It makes a few fights/maps significantly easier to handle.

I wish I'd read this post 15 minutes ago.

Does it work with poison too?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Argue posted:

I wish I'd read this post 15 minutes ago.

Does it work with poison too?

Can definitely confirm you can still get poisoned in the field, after that run.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Makes sense, poison being tagged as a trap would be a nightmare with heightened security.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There is nothing more satisfying than absolutely tearing through all those little rooms in Styx with at least 3/4 of Tidal Dash, Typhoon's Fury, Razor Shoals, and Breaking Wave. Don't even have to swing my weapon, just dash in circles and slam those loving rats and satyrs into walls over and over until they explode.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sydin posted:

There is nothing more satisfying than absolutely tearing through all those little rooms in Styx with at least 3/4 of Tidal Dash, Typhoon's Fury, Razor Shoals, and Breaking Wave. Don't even have to swing my weapon, just dash in circles and slam those loving rats and satyrs into walls over and over until they explode.

*over grisly splashing noises* THIS is WHAT i THINK about your POISON

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Same except poseidon’s call with the vacuum upgrade and you start with your gage full enough to use it instantly

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sydin posted:

Yes! My favorite build, especially if you can get Second Wave and/or the Hermes +2 dash boon. And it works with any weapon!

The only thing that can slow it down is those stupid green crystal laser things in the final Styx chamber with the big pit in the middle. The dash can't hit them when they hover over the pit, so you need something with range, or a lot of patience for them to drift over to one of the edges.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Speaking of Poseidon, I tried his special on the chaos shield last and god drat. The multi shield throw just sends everything flying in all directions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can never decide if I like the shield better with or without Dread Flight. It's nice that it can hit a lot of extra dudes, but it often flies off toward nowhere for no particular reason.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hades spear is rapidly becoming my favorite weapon, the combination of damage, aoe, and range just feels so comfy to use.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah secret sword aspect rules. I run it with artemis a lot, gotta try it with aphrodite too. only secret aspect I dislike so far is really the spear one. aspect of hades rules though, and with poseidon attack just wrecks

drat, how is this game so good? Just so fun playing it. Lately I don't really dig a lot of games unless they're from FromSoft, but drat Hades is up there with them. I'm sort of OK with being in anoter lockdown because I can just play Hades all day. if you're quarantined, you can try doing pushpus or something in between chambers, lol

Does Hades remind anyone else of a board game? It's kind of similar to deckbuilding games where you build your deck as you progress through the game from a random pool, kind of like boons.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
So... what's up with the Acorn? Seen lots of folks mention it, but haven't tried it myself. Seems like it wouldn't be that great, but some people swear by it? Thoughts?

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Had a hilarious Beowulf shield run where I used Dionysius' cast, got an extra cast from Chaos, then duo boons from Demeter and Zeus, so I could drop 4 Trippy Blasts that put Chill and constant lightning bolts on anything inside (with Jolted and Dual Strike). Basically every cast was a death cloud that dealt 3.5k damage on delivery and another 1k in lightning and jolted hits.
It was pretty fun.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Shouldn’t be taking much damage to begin with so missing the first 5 hits is almost like being invincible.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

minya posted:

So... what's up with the Acorn? Seen lots of folks mention it, but haven't tried it myself. Seems like it wouldn't be that great, but some people swear by it? Thoughts?

i used it a lot at the beginning and i still kind of have a habit to, but now i'm beating hades with 2-3 death defiances in the bank, so I sould probably stop using it. Maybe later when I get to EM4

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

minya posted:

Well in the chamber before Styx you should pick whichever trinket will help you most against the last boss. That's pretty much tooth, collar, or acorn, because they all give extra health in one way or another. Boss attacks do a shitload of damage, so blocking 5 of them can be equal to a lot more health than what you'd get from the collar's straight HP buff or the tooth's small DD bump.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I pick the pierced butterfly to get extra damage from all those short small-room encounters, which is definitely how it works ha ha ha. ha ha. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SKULL.GIF posted:

90% of the problems people have with melee fighting is that they're constantly jamming on Attack and aren't able to react to windups and get pummeled.

Meanwhile 90% of my problems with ranged weapons is that I can't constantly jam on attack while instinct dodging the windups.