Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The new Taskmaster is amazing and it was nice to notice covid didn't change the studio segment a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm pretty sure Daisy May is going to have her baby on stage at some point, laughing so hard

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
They posted an outtake from the new Taskmaster and hoo boy. Definitely a great start for a season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERLvefF8jlA

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Man, TV ads these days all feel like environmental storytelling in an immersive sim set after a disaster.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Man, TV ads these days all feel like environmental storytelling in an immersive sim set after a disaster.

FILMED BEFORE COVID is always the strangest bit to me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I can't wait to see this year's Christmas ads.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Now, more than ever, it's Christmas

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It’s like in Japan post-quake when all the ads were weird

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The aftershave ads are as silly as ever imo

It's very funny to me that the wallies in those adverts are what's meant by aspirational :newlol:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

stev posted:

I can't wait to see this year's Christmas ads.

Breathy cover versions for everyone!

crispix posted:

The aftershave ads are as silly as ever imo

It's very funny to me that the wallies in those adverts are what's meant by aspirational :newlol:

You know it's Christmas when these appear. I guess it's difficult to advertise a smell.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's 2020,so here's Lee Mack interviewing someone with a few...interesting tattoos.

https://twitter.com/HISTORYUK/status/1318073947515199489?s=19

To be fair, I don't think anyone can accuse Mack of knowing about this but it's not a great look, particularly for something that pretends to be The History Channel.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

DrVenkman posted:

It's 2020,so here's Lee Mack interviewing someone with a few...interesting tattoos.

https://twitter.com/HISTORYUK/status/1318073947515199489?s=19

To be fair, I don't think anyone can accuse Mack of knowing about this but it's not a great look, particularly for something that pretends to be The History Channel.

https://twitter.com/schittstweet/status/1318500866522042368?s=20

Also, it's probably just because he's a Nazi - but was he making mjolnir in that clip?

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 20, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/historyuk/status/1318537129656520705?s=21

I mean sure, but I’d like to think any tattoo shop worth their salt would’ve told him that he’s essentially getting a swastika tattooed on his face with that choice. Good job Sky.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Not Goering Out.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/historyuk/status/1318537129656520705?s=21

I mean sure, but I’d like to think any tattoo shop worth their salt would’ve told him that he’s essentially getting a swastika tattooed on his face with that choice. Good job Sky.

He also has "23" and "16" either side of his forehead and "Homegrown" across his top lip. Which according to tweets are also Nazi symbolism.

Granted I wasn't aware of 23/16 and Homegrown, but 88 is a pretty well-known right? Even if he isn't a nazi, surely get 1988? If a sheltered nerd like me knew the significance of 88 then I refuse to believe he had no idea why it might look bad.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tea Bone posted:

Granted I wasn't aware of 23/16 and Homegrown, but 88 is a pretty well-known right? Even if he isn't a nazi, surely get 1988? If a sheltered nerd like me knew the significance of 88 then I refuse to believe he had no idea why it might look bad.

It's only been "pretty well known" for a couple years. Not saying this guy isn't a huge nazi but I certainly hadn't heard of the 88 thing before approximately the Trump campaign.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

showbiz_liz posted:

It's only been "pretty well known" for a couple years. Not saying this guy isn't a huge nazi but I certainly hadn't heard of the 88 thing before approximately the Trump campaign.

Fair enough. I've been aware of it for at least the last 10 years (I think it might have shown up in an episode of Monk?) and perhaps guilty of assuming myself boring and innocent so if I know about it then the guy with tattoos all over his face definitely knows about it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably depends on how much of your local politics involves Nazis.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I imagine a history channel's research department should be able to figure it out pretty easily though. I imagine it's incompetence rather than malice though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I'm sure it's 100% incompetence - but what do you expect from the History Channel nowadays, really?

edit: All hail the algorithm. No, not heil, hail

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They show a lot of documentaries about Nazis. Maybe they're playing to their target demographic.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
:lol: Fraktur font on the 88 and 23/16 and now Lee Mack has a controversy section on his Wikipedia

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Thinking back to growing up in rural Idaho, and all the 88 tattoos I saw. It seems like it was a really significant year for a ton of people. I suspect there was a big event that everyone got them around the same time because it seems like there was a font that was really popular when they went in.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

His dad was alive and on the electoral roll in Bristol well after 1988, apparently.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Thinking back to growing up in rural Idaho, and all the 88 tattoos I saw. It seems like it was a really significant year for a ton of people. I suspect there was a big event that everyone got them around the same time because it seems like there was a font that was really popular when they went in.

Could just be plenty of cross over between fans of 70s metal and back to the future getting the famous 88 (mph) needed for time travel tattooed in the font of their favourite band?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tea Bone posted:

Could just be plenty of cross over between fans of 70s metal and back to the future getting the famous 88 (mph) needed for time travel tattooed in the font of their favourite band?

Checks out

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/HISTORYUK/status/1318602183428968448

It's ok, they've decided to look into it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The weird thing is, you'd think there'd be *some* internet presence/history of a guy with a face covered in tattoos who is also noted as a tattoo artist by the previous reality show he was on (not necessarily active now). But no, the only hits for him are this story and the wiki entry for the old show.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
How are they so bad at this?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's probably being run by recent graduates and interns.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I thought it was mandatory for any program on any channel named History to feature Nazis?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Now that the tweets have all been deleted can somebody summarise?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Captain Mediocre posted:

Now that the tweets have all been deleted can somebody summarise?

Sky History put up a promo clip of their new wood carpentry competition show 'Chop' which featured Lee Mack interviewing a jolly contestant whose face is covered in tattoos. It took the internet 2 seconds to pick up on the prominent '88' on the dudes face, which in most cases stands for Heil Hitler (H=8th letter) or a refence to the 88 precepts which is just as bad. Sky History originally said he went through rigorous background checks and didn't have any dirt on him and the 88 is a reference to the year his father died. The fact this is a really weird comemorative tattoo to get for many reasons, it doesn't ring true when people found out his father was still alive for many years following this. Apparently he also has other tattoos alleging to white supremacy etc

So yeah.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 20, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

not a bot posted:

How are they so bad at this?

It's all about the numbers, which makes this very ironic.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Total Meatlove posted:

:lol: Fraktur font on the 88 and 23/16 and now Lee Mack has a controversy section on his Wikipedia

CC: Tim Key on last week's episode of No More Jockeys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvGb50Qz_5c

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I feel you gotta use a time-stamped URL for that, no one's going to be happy to sit through twenty minutes to find out Tim Key excluded the category of "people with a"controversy" tab on Wikipedia. I've watched it and thought for a moment he revealed a death's head tattoo or something.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
You should sit through the whole thing anyway because No More Jockeys is great!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It’s definitely a show that - when you think about it - is very good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
My guess is someone said 88 was nazis, it was brought up to someone high up who scoffed and thought that was ridiculous and got them to ask him.
They immediately accepted his answer and carried on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
"Stath Lets Flats" has been confirmed for a third series which is a welcome surprise considering I had assumed it dead.
It might not be everyone's cup of tea but if you can get along with the sense of humour it's one of the funniest shows out there. Everyone should definitely check it out.