Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

We did it. We got the resort to reconsider and they agreed to host the race team under our proposed COVID-modified plan. Our ski race team is back in business although there won't be any normal post season this year. I'm psyched to get back on snow.

That's awesome, congrats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

Came home to a 2021 Capita Stevens Pro & some Union Flite bindings to give away at some point this winter. Trying to come up with ideas for social media based contests and it's nice to have something enticing to give to kids. Now I need to track down similar women's gear because the ladies are killing it too and I don't to only give away poo poo for dudes.

speaking of ladies killing it, here's the teaser for The Uninvited II

https://vimeo.com/469774891

Kids LOVE making short little video edits, get them to do say, a Tik-tok style video or something.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

speaking of ladies killing it, here's the teaser for The Uninvited II

https://vimeo.com/469774891

For some reason this video is giving off strong 90's vibes. Looks good and fun.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

Philly is definitely more aggro than NJ but there is no ski resort that close to Philly to draw a huge Philly crowd. Maybe Blue, JFBB or Shawnee?

As a Philly area skier, are any Philly area resorts worth making it out to? I was thinking of trying blue mountain last year, but I don’t think they ever really got snow.

Bought an epic pass this year. :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Our season just ended but gently caress do I wanna ride some snow :(

I had such grand plans for 2020 northern hemisphere. Epic aus pass and then 5 days in japan followed by 5 days in Vancouver then another 5 at whitewater.

I'm just being greedy though. Here's to 2021 I guess.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

As a Philly area skier, are any Philly area resorts worth making it out to? I was thinking of trying blue mountain last year, but I don’t think they ever really got snow.

Roundtop is about 2 hours from you and on Epic. It’s small but the Snowtime (Roundtop/Whitetail/Liberty) resorts are pretty well run and as long as you don’t go expecting a western resort they’re fun.

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/#Pennsylvania has a list of PA resorts, can click through and see which ones are where and get basic stats. (They used to have a map but that appears to have died.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 20, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Residency Evil posted:

Sorry I don't ride PA. I stick to NJ/NY/VT/NH and Quebec mostly. My friends who do ride in PA are mostly snowboarders who mostly care about terrain parks and ride at Blue and JFBB so not sure that would be the best fit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kalman posted:

Roundtop is about 2 hours from you and on Epic. It’s small but the Snowtime (Roundtop/Whitetail/Liberty) resorts are pretty well run and as long as you don’t go expecting a western resort they’re fun.

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/#Pennsylvania has a list of PA resorts, can click through and see which ones are where and get basic stats. (They used to have a map but that appears to have died.)

Thanks for the Roundtop suggestion. I wasn't sure how the southern PA resorts were since they're...south. Good to hear they're run well.

Yuns posted:

Sorry I don't ride PA. I stick to NJ/NY/VT/NH and Quebec mostly. My friends who do ride in PA are mostly snowboarders who mostly care about terrain parks and ride at Blue and JFBB so not sure that would be the best fit.

FWIW, I've heard Blue Mountain is "okay." Maybe we'll get snow out east this year? Maybe we'll try to head out west this year, but who knows what the situation's going to be like. I'm not super hopeful.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the Roundtop suggestion. I wasn't sure how the southern PA resorts were since they're...south. Good to hear they're run well.

They make a lot of snow, basically. Yearly snowfall average is like 40-45”, but they’re usually open with a 12-24” base by mid-December depending on temps.

But honestly - especially given warming/climate change - everyone in the area has to make snow these days, relying on natural snowfall means you won’t be able to stay open.

(Also, if you want *south*, check out the two areas in NC, Beech and Sugar.)

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Residency Evil posted:

FWIW, I've heard Blue Mountain is "okay." Maybe we'll get snow out east this year? Maybe we'll try to head out west this year, but who knows what the situation's going to be like. I'm not super hopeful.

Blue doesn't even care about building a real park anymore, they figured out it's not worth pumping out all the snow for it when the weather allows the season to last for maybe 3 months, and all the best park riders just go to Big Boulder. Blue and Camelback are the biggest though, so those should be your first choices. Elk Mountain is also one to check out if you want to drive further north and prob make it a 2-day trip, but it's worth it since it gets a way smaller crowd than the others mentioned.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-51KAp0eM

That is pretty good stuff right there.

We also went and saw Huck Yeah at the Red Rocks drive in. Fun but not the same as normal ski movie nights in a crowded theater. I did get to bring my dog though.

This is also bad rear end. Glad to se Level 1 still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wOm_OUVxvs&t=13s

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/self-styled-rapscallion-david-lesh-maroon-lake-is-my-toilet/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know who he is, but he seems like a real rear end in a top hat.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Every loving time with this guy.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Seems like a great way to let people know they should not buy poo poo from you.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I swear if that rear end in a top hat was a snowboarder we would never hear the loving end of it.

Unfortunately the more time I spend meeting new people thanks to snowboarding/snow sports the more aware I am that even people who have a passion for something entirely dependent on nature often do not care about nature at all. Leave no trace types are an extremely small subset of the scene.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Go Wild Mountain.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2020/10/21/first-ski-area-open/

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Alright ‘18/‘19 ski season! Let’s gooooooo!

Unrelated:

https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/10/21/telluride-gondola-cars-dining-cabins/247253/

Points for creativity I guess. As far as I know the Town of Telluride still has no cohesive plan for outdoor dining this winter.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I saw that Mt Norquay outside of Banff is opening this weekend too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why is this guy's name vaguely familiar to me?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

why is this guy's name vaguely familiar to me?

He is the guy who snowmobiled in the mud on Indy Pass damaging fragile about tree line vegetation, He is the guy who snowmobiled off the Area 51 jumps at keystone when they had to close from the pandemic, he is the guy who got in the water at hanging lake (illegal) when it was also closed from the pandemic. Basically he is a poo poo bag.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

After a lifetime of second-hand skis I finally own my first brand new pair of skis and bindings.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

After a lifetime of second-hand skis I finally own my first brand new pair of skis and bindings.

I love the way they look!

I really lucked out last season, I went up to the mountain and they had a deal where you could rent skis and if you liked em they would sell em to you for a discount price and minus what you spent on rentals. I managed to get a pair that had never been ridden before so I ended up with a brand new pair of Rossignol Smash 7s for a great price. I like the looks of the graphics on that more than the smash 7s though. Hope you got a good deal on it!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
been a minute since I checked this thread so I'm a little confused by the 18/19 but :shrug:

I bought a new board/bindings/goggles late last season and only got to use them once before covid hit. This year I'm looking to pick up a new helmet and boots.

I'd love to find a helmet that fits my anon M4 goggles well but I really really would like some kind of in-helmet audio this time around. Are there any good solutions worth looking at besides the Outdoor Tech chips/pucks? from what I can tell they seem to be somewhat standard for decent helmet audio but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I definitely want easy glove-friendly controls for pausing so I can have conversations and be aware of my surroundings when I'm crossing trails and such.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MMD3 posted:

been a minute since I checked this thread so I'm a little confused by the 18/19 but :shrug:

I bought a new board/bindings/goggles late last season and only got to use them once before covid hit. This year I'm looking to pick up a new helmet and boots.

I'd love to find a helmet that fits my anon M4 goggles well but I really really would like some kind of in-helmet audio this time around. Are there any good solutions worth looking at besides the Outdoor Tech chips/pucks? from what I can tell they seem to be somewhat standard for decent helmet audio but I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I definitely want easy glove-friendly controls for pausing so I can have conversations and be aware of my surroundings when I'm crossing trails and such.

Have you tried in helmet audio before? I thought it would be really neat and have the pucks from Smith. They work pretty well, although there seems to be a bit of a learning curve with operating them. They also seem to suffer from interference a bit too, but I was keeping my phone in my jacket pocket instead of pants pocket, so it was probably close to lift ticket RFID and that was causing problems. I ended up only using them once though, because I found that skiing without being able to hear what was around me was disconcerting and made me nervous, and I didn't like it. (Now I use the chips when I take the bus up there and have a found a good use for them).

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

MMD3 posted:

The Outdoor Tech speakers are pure garbage, I bought them last year thinking they should be an upgrade to the Giro/Skullcandy helmet speakers I've had for a long time... but the audio quality is just terrible. It seems like the Skullcandy's have long since been discontinued.. the last version of them were made for Anon helmets, this site says they still have it in stock: https://skipro.com/accessories/audio/asfx1-audio-kit-45wasfx1-audio-kit-45w-asfx1-audio-kit-45wasfx1-audio-kit-45w.html

I did find this list though of helmet speakers for 2020 so something here might work: https://www.toptenselect.com/top-10-best-ski-helmet-headphones/

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Both Cardo and Sena which make excellent motorcycle helmet communications systems also make them for ski helmets. They can be used as intercoms as well as bluetooth connected to your phone for music and calls. I haven't used the ski version but the motorcycle models are solid.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm always amazed by people wearing headphones when skiing or snowboarding. I want to hear everything going on around me.

To each their own, I guess.

(Now wearing them on the lift I get)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm always amazed by people wearing headphones when skiing or snowboarding. I want to hear everything going on around me.

To each their own, I guess.

(Now wearing them on the lift I get)

on the lift and on groomers primarily... I understand this, but it's also why I don't want to wear earbuds and would prefer some kind of helmet audio.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
You can take my headphones from my cold, split open head

But seriously, I've been skiing with music for 15 years and it just feels weird to not have it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

If it saves me from having to hear another portable bluetooth speaker in someone's backpack, I'm all for headphones.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I used to never ski with earphones in but now if I'm just ripping around the mountain on my own I'll definitely put my headphones in.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Headphone chat:

The Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0 are the best solution I have used. they are sometimes branded (mine are Smith) but they are all identical, they just change the colourways. I have previously had the ODT bluetooth receiver that plugs into to regular headphones (i used mine with wired helmet-phones) and that is also good value, but not as seamless.

they work with Siri/google so you can make without taking your gloves off, likewise you can answer calls easily with the buttons. huge benefit when you are trying to regroup. never had any complaints about voice quality.

The sound quality is good *if* you take 5 minutes to fit them properly. i cut a little C shape out of foam to help hold them perfectly over my ears and take up the empty space in the ear-pad. ultimately they are 40mm over-ear headphone drivers that are in a plastic/metal case that is tucked into a fleece-lined pocket sitting slightly-off from your ear - There is a lot of factors working against sound quality. they get loud enough to feel the bass around 75% volume, but dont get hearing-damage loud.

the buttons are big and clicky so you can tell when you have pressed them - even through the ear-pad - although like the other guy said you kind of have to memorise the functions. theres a business card in the box with controls printed on it, i keep that in my season pass pocket as a reminder at the start of the season.

the battery lasts me 2 full days at medium-high volume on the hill before they need a charge, mostly just streaming spotify with the occasional call to find friends. I have music on pretty much the entire time Im on snow and just turn it down real low when im on the chair with friends or riding on busy runs. Off piste or solo lifts i have the music up loud.

I dont get dropouts but I keep my phone in my thigh pocket with nothing else around it.

They do muffle sound even when they are switched off, but no more than a regular helmet with ear-pads does. obviously listening to loud music will block out more noise but there is no passive sound isolation and they perform similarly to on-ear headphones.

only minor negative I have is that they charge using the 3.5mm headphone jack (which lets you use them old-skool plugged in if they are dead) so need a special cable or a micro-USB adapter (both are supplied in the box). I keep the adapter tucked into the ear-pads so its always with the helmet and thus never forgotten on a trip.

theres another negative that is widely shared. the walkie-talkie app loving sucks, kills your phone battery and never works. no one has reviewed that feature well, so do not buy it with any intention of using it.

The latest iteration of the chips are pointlessly chasing the 'true wireless' feature and as a result have severely compromised the product. they turn off after 10min of no playback, shorter battery life and have to be put back in the case to charge. and they cost way more too.

I have tried various wired sets too and they all sucked. cable gets snagged on your clothes, yanks on your phone when you forget to unplug before taking off your helmet etc. Skull Candy was the worst for this (tried two different kinds, both were complete poo poo but sounded decent)

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Anyone got experience with the thirtytwo elite fit liner? Leaning towards the TM3 as my new boots.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Guess which idiot just spent one thousand, six hundred and forty-nine dollars on a ski pass

Thanks SkiCo, it's not like the pandemic already kinda hosed my finances this year!

HookShot posted:

I used to never ski with earphones in but now if I'm just ripping around the mountain on my own I'll definitely put my headphones in.

I'm probably 50/50 on headphones or not. Some days are music days, some days aren't.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Laserface posted:

Headphone chat:

The Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0 are the best solution I have used. they are sometimes branded (mine are Smith) but they are all identical, they just change the colourways. I have previously had the ODT bluetooth receiver that plugs into to regular headphones (i used mine with wired helmet-phones) and that is also good value, but not as seamless.

they work with Siri/google so you can make without taking your gloves off, likewise you can answer calls easily with the buttons. huge benefit when you are trying to regroup. never had any complaints about voice quality.

The sound quality is good *if* you take 5 minutes to fit them properly. i cut a little C shape out of foam to help hold them perfectly over my ears and take up the empty space in the ear-pad. ultimately they are 40mm over-ear headphone drivers that are in a plastic/metal case that is tucked into a fleece-lined pocket sitting slightly-off from your ear - There is a lot of factors working against sound quality. they get loud enough to feel the bass around 75% volume, but dont get hearing-damage loud.

the buttons are big and clicky so you can tell when you have pressed them - even through the ear-pad - although like the other guy said you kind of have to memorise the functions. theres a business card in the box with controls printed on it, i keep that in my season pass pocket as a reminder at the start of the season.

the battery lasts me 2 full days at medium-high volume on the hill before they need a charge, mostly just streaming spotify with the occasional call to find friends. I have music on pretty much the entire time Im on snow and just turn it down real low when im on the chair with friends or riding on busy runs. Off piste or solo lifts i have the music up loud.

I dont get dropouts but I keep my phone in my thigh pocket with nothing else around it.

They do muffle sound even when they are switched off, but no more than a regular helmet with ear-pads does. obviously listening to loud music will block out more noise but there is no passive sound isolation and they perform similarly to on-ear headphones.

only minor negative I have is that they charge using the 3.5mm headphone jack (which lets you use them old-skool plugged in if they are dead) so need a special cable or a micro-USB adapter (both are supplied in the box). I keep the adapter tucked into the ear-pads so its always with the helmet and thus never forgotten on a trip.

theres another negative that is widely shared. the walkie-talkie app loving sucks, kills your phone battery and never works. no one has reviewed that feature well, so do not buy it with any intention of using it.

The latest iteration of the chips are pointlessly chasing the 'true wireless' feature and as a result have severely compromised the product. they turn off after 10min of no playback, shorter battery life and have to be put back in the case to charge. and they cost way more too.

I have tried various wired sets too and they all sucked. cable gets snagged on your clothes, yanks on your phone when you forget to unplug before taking off your helmet etc. Skull Candy was the worst for this (tried two different kinds, both were complete poo poo but sounded decent)

thanks for the detailed write-up... might still check out the bluetooth/non true-wireless ones, will see what helmet I land on and if they're compatible.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

our DC rep stopped by and hooked me up with this years Ply for the low. i’m super stoked to finally have another board i can thrash without any care in the park again

i’m driving up to Big Snow in New Jersey in a few days to link up with him. has anyone been? i don’t think i’d make a regular trip out of it, but i am interested as to what an indoor park is going to be like

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MMD3 posted:

thanks for the detailed write-up... might still check out the bluetooth/non true-wireless ones, will see what helmet I land on and if they're compatible.

I’ve got a pair of the Chips you can try out. I grabbed them on proform from Smith with my helmet, but since I don’t use the ear flaps on the helmet the headphones don’t really have a place to go.

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
Welp I finally replaced my 70$ baby bindings with a pair of Nitro Team Pros, super excited to try them out this season. Once I stepped up from my beginner board the difference was insane, so I can only guess it's gonna be equally mind-blowing with a pair of good bindings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

highme posted:

I’ve got a pair of the Chips you can try out. I grabbed them on proform from Smith with my helmet, but since I don’t use the ear flaps on the helmet the headphones don’t really have a place to go.

thanks dude, that'd be awesome, will definitely take you up on that.