Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Turning on any level of Mayhem scales everything to your level.

I hate bullet sponges as a stand-in for difficulty, so I like to run Mayhem at several levels below that of my gear.

One of my biggest complaints about BL2 was that the Slag mechanic basically mandated running certain gear (Magic Missile grenades, if nothing else) or every enemy was a terrible bullet sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Once you have a good build and gear nothing but bosses with invulnerability phases will live longer then a few seconds even at mayhem 10. Depending on who you're playing as you won't even see half the people you kill because they'll be vaporized immediately.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I got my first Ghast Call, it dropped out of literally the last Loot Ghost I killed for literally the last achievement for the event!

And it seems that if you want all the event unlocks (eh) you have to do all the achievements for each character? I had assumed they'd change that from last year as they made the Cartel ones global.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I literally cannot play this game on Xbone X anymore because it crashes constantly - often going so far as to power down the system. It’s not an actual heating issue because no other game does it, the box isn’t actually hot, and it appears to be widely reported.

Is Gearbox just such a lovely developer at this point that they’re going to continue to charge people for content while apparently just ignoring huge, game breaking issues like this?

loving mind blowing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Yes.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Does the ghast call drop with normal anointments? I’m wonder if it’s worth the effort to farm for a On grenade throw boost various damages buff

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How well does a good Ghast Call compare with a Cloning Maddening Tracker on Moze?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

lazerwolf posted:

Does the ghast call drop with normal anointments? I’m wonder if it’s worth the effort to farm for a On grenade throw boost various damages buff

Ghast call is not dropping with any anointments at all.

How do you get the achievement for killing Capt Haunt with a Blood Harvest gun- does it have to be one of the specific legendaries- Fearmonger or Stalker- or just any gun with a Bloody Harvest anointment?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Listerine posted:

Ghast call is not dropping with any anointments at all.

How do you get the achievement for killing Capt Haunt with a Blood Harvest gun- does it have to be one of the specific legendaries- Fearmonger or Stalker- or just any gun with a Bloody Harvest anointment?

I'm not quite clear on that, I just happened to have a Fearmonger and killed him with it it (via my clone) but I think it has to be those two, because I don't think Terror anoint pickups count towards the "Collect Bloody Harvest Loot" achievement.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just finished the main campaign after forgetting I owned this for about six months and holy poo poo what a po-faced ending that throws out any kind of comedy for a bunch of maudlin poo poo. At least Zer0 gets to pal around with his CEO friend on Business Planet.

I'm only lvl36 because I skipped most of the sidequests. If I want to hit the level cap which is more worth my while; cranking up Mayhem Mode and going back for them all, or starting a new game plus run on True Vault Hunter.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Pierson posted:

I just finished the main campaign after forgetting I owned this for about six months and holy poo poo what a po-faced ending that throws out any kind of comedy for a bunch of maudlin poo poo. At least Zer0 gets to pal around with his CEO friend on Business Planet.

I'm only lvl36 because I skipped most of the sidequests. If I want to hit the level cap which is more worth my while; cranking up Mayhem Mode and going back for them all, or starting a new game plus run on True Vault Hunter.

I don't think there's a compelling reason to start over on TVHM, I'd suggest putting Mayhem mode up. If you can go the distance on Slaughter Shaft you can probably level up pretty quick. The DLC is pretty good if you're open to spending money, but it might go on sale when season 2 launches.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Pierson posted:

If I want to hit the level cap which is more worth my while; cranking up Mayhem Mode and going back for them all, or starting a new game plus run on True Vault Hunter.

Avoid replaying the story again at all costs unless you have some kind of mental deficiency.

Play the circle of slaughter missions on the highest mayhem level you can handle without taking too long to kill stuff. You can hit the cap pretty quick and it's all combat with none of the awful story and writing and unskippable voiceover horse poo poo. This game really nailed the combat part of Borderlands. The rest of the formula is poo poo you want to avoid at all costs if you value your time.

And try to forget that you'll need to play through the story for any other character you ever want to level. That will depress you to no end.

The true vault hunter mode only exists in this game because Gearbox are bad at making games. It's just a holdover of the old games' format and doesn't serve any other purpose as long as mayhem exists. They should have removes it in one of their first patches but see my previous comment about Gearbox not being a good developer for an explanation on why they haven't.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 17, 2020

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Doesn't TVHM increase XP for combat?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Go back and do sidequests, they will level you well and I think most of the gear you get isn’t great in endgame. Fire up the DLCs and go through them on whatever Mayhem level you are comfortable playing.

There’s literally no reason to play TVHM

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I just finished the main story and got mayhem mode, seems to be exactly what I would have wanted out of the end-game. It's dropping legendary weapons like candy, that's pretty awesome. Did nearly every sidequest I could find during the game and finished up around level 45. Now I can do the 4x DLC and not be over-levelled for them which is great.

Sanctuary III ended up unlocking some missions, like the Maliwan Darksite and Claptraps rock hunter one. I don't care what the goonsensus in the thread is, everything in this game is low-brow middle school humour with good gunplay, which is what I expected and wanted out of it.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
TVHM is only good for resetting/replaying DLC. I've restarted the Hammerlock DLC a couple times trying to roll a better pearl, but outside of limited uses like that it's pretty pointless

Vimto
Sep 11, 2001
Manchester City F.C
I use TVHM as a save point in Sanctuary so if I'm farming and need to stash something its easier to switch to TVHM than re-run to the farm.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is matchmaking on PC like Diablo 3 where everybody still playing is pushing high mayhem levels? I'm trying to get groups for basic stuff like the circle of slaughter and the little dungeons at M2-M3 and you would think the game is totally unpopulated.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

well, unlike diablo where you can get good gear at any torment level, every piece of gear has stats based on the mayhem level you get it. So there's no point to playing anything but the highest level you can. Also it's not that hard to get to mayhem level 10 so that's where 99% of all the players are.

But yeah, the game is also a total ghost town.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Hopefully arms race adds a compelling reason to do multiplayer. As it is it's generally more of a hassle to play with someone else if you're doing anything other than story content.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Playing some 2 and TPS and then returning to 3 highlights just how awful this game runs. Think I won't be playing much till/ if I get a PS5.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1318598186898911233?s=19

Do we want this? Might be nice not having the nonsense.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, M10 honestly drops a crap ton of loot. Even a 50% reduction would still result in a bunch of legendaries. Plus it would be way less annoying to farm stuff.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The modifiers are often an active impediment to fun, in my opinion. Get rid of them forever.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
That's a pretty nice change as long as it doesn't effect dedicated drops too much.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

They've do e the stream for Amara and FL4K's new trees. Not watched yet but Amara gets Cryo element and more melee stuff so it's exactly what I wanted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1318598186898911233?s=19

Do we want this? Might be nice not having the nonsense.

Make them toggles instead of mandatory. The whole having to reroll them to get least-bad combo is an annoying mechanic. Having an option to get rid of them entirely is okay, too.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
It's hilarious that Mayhem 2.0 was the hot new feature to revitalize the endgame, and now they're hyping up the ability to turn it off.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Ideally, they'll consult their backend stats in a few months and see that most people capable of playing at M11 are doing so and gut Mayhem (or at least the modifiers) from the game completely.

I'd say that they could take another shot at getting it right, but that already happened. They should just cut their losses, get rid of it, then focus on adding a new system or two to the game. Some form of gear customization is a no-brainer which is how I know it will never happen.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 21, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

Ideally, they'll consult their backend stats in a few months and see that most people capable of playing at M11 are doing so and gut Mayhem (or at least the modifiers) from the game completely.

I'd say that they could take another shot at getting it right, but that already happened. They should just cut their losses, get rid of it, then focus on adding a new system or two to the game. Some form of gear customization is a no-brainer which is how I know it will never happen.

Just let us collect the parts and assemble our own guns from them.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just let us collect the parts and assemble our own guns from them.

I legit thought this was a feature when they were showing off how you could look at each part of a gun. I was so bummed when I learned that it wasn't.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You can look at individual parts and be confused as to what any of the modifiers mean! Wow!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Amara's Grasp Terror skull anointment is bananas, I now have it on a grenade and a good Plus Ultra shield that gives me Terror after AS and it's just bonkers, whilst still letting me use any gun instead of just the one the skull anoint is on.

Has anyone made much use of the Fearmonger? I've been trying it on the terror build but not sure it's outperforming stuff like the Light Show. I think just those equipment anoints make for a very powerful build with any weapon, but would be good to have something that works well under Terror.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is it true the rest of the non-Heist DLC is mediocre? Because I'm really enjoying that DLC. I'm also really enjoying the Haunting stuff dungeon.

Also if this is Mayhem chat I've crawled up to Mayhem 4 and yeah I can already see the cracks in this feature. I spend a lot of time re-rolling the modifiers to get the 'easiest' ones before I so much as step a foot out of sanctuary.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Pierson posted:

Is it true the rest of the non-Heist DLC is mediocre? Because I'm really enjoying that DLC. I'm also really enjoying the Haunting stuff dungeon.

Who on earth said that, the rest of the DLC's are great, only Kreig's is disappointing, and that again depends on how much you like Kreig.

Bounty of Blood is the best Borderlands DLC bar none imo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Who on earth said that, the rest of the DLC's are great, only Kreig's is disappointing, and that again depends on how much you like Kreig.

Bounty of Blood is the best Borderlands DLC bar none imo.

Not seen it said before, but it might be true. Handsome Jackpot may be second as well. The first three definitely tell stories better than the main game (although Typhon's arc in isolation might be up there)

I've just seen a vid on Zane's new tree, looks good! He gets to sprint and shoot, which is great with existing Hitman skills, and something similar to B0re (before you get too excited, it's only on crits) Capstone boosts damage whilst aiming down the sight and automatically applies status effects on crits whilst doing so, which sounds really good! Generally focuses on crits, and almost as many kill skills as Hitman, so Seein' Dead isn't going away.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not seen it said before, but it might be true. Handsome Jackpot may be second as well. The first three definitely tell stories better than the main game (although Typhon's arc in isolation might be up there)

Ugh, I would rather have more Claptrap content than Typhon content.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I kind of think all of the new skills (particularly Amara's) are kind of underwhelming except for Zane's. It seems like it could be absolutely amazing if used correctly and the fact that his new tree allows for enhancement of crits as well as a B0re-like skill makes me think he's going to be the most potentially OP character, as well as bringing him closer to a Zer0 kind of character, since I was kind of underwhelmed by Fl4k.

Edit: I like the idea of a grappling hook, but not to move NPC's closer to you. Not my style, but I do wonder how it could be used with the clone's teleport/swap. Seems like there could be something to it.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 28, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zane's new tree does look the best, not just in power but also the playstyle it promotes. Reserve the right to change my mind when I actually try them out, but Flak's and Moze's don't look appealing and are too focused on one thing. Did Flak really need that many survivability skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't seen anything about raising the level cap or adding another way to get more skill points, so it seems like adding a fourth skill tree is just kind of inflationary.

I haven't checked to see if editing a save to have more skill points than should be allowed causes the save be viewed as corrupted, but the idea of another skill tree just makes me want to try it more.