Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I feel like The Gibbering Horse is going to turn up as a character at some point. Or a pub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey, has anyone played Through the Breach 2nd edition? I just bought it on a whim because I still love Malifaux's lore and the character creation and the whole fate thing seemed really cool.

I haven't had a chance to read it but one of the Character classes has an ability that's an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference, so the game's automatically a 10/10 for me.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Hey, has anyone played Through the Breach 2nd edition? I just bought it on a whim because I still love Malifaux's lore and the character creation and the whole fate thing seemed really cool.

I haven't had a chance to read it but one of the Character classes has an ability that's an It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia reference, so the game's automatically a 10/10 for me.

I didn't even know there was a 2nd edition. I thought it was dead to be honest.

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

They released a one-shot adventure via DriveThru on the 23rd, plus there's usually a TtB mini-adventure in the Wryd Newsletters, so it's not dead yet.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Technically there's supposed to be the Neverborn faction book as well, but... We'll see. TTB2e is pretty fun IMO. Some of the target numbers on the upper end of the game get a little wild though (higher station enemies having defenses that are nearly untouchable without a good amount of investment, and even still hard to reach when you do that).

The character creation is great though. Each expansion also has a different version of the tarot to make the PC's with as well. My character for a Guild campaign that didn't get off the ground was a Witch Hunter who's tarot was very much putting her on the path to facing down/encountering Rasputina or someone like her and that was pretty cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah I just randomly did tarot generation to see what kind of fates it came up with and it was pretty cool. A lot of potential with the right group and the understanding that it's going to be very narrative driven and not "Kill mans, get loot, level up". I actually think my current L5R group might take to it pretty well.

EDIT: I *might* house rule it that you do a tarot for character gen and the a second tarot for the actual fate cuz I don't know how I feel about all, say, accountants or Neverborn stolen or artists having the same line for their Station fate

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 27, 2019

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

FrostyPox posted:

Hey, has anyone played Through the Breach 2nd edition?

Yeah I've played/run a boat load of it, used to have a bi-weekly group down at the LGS. I think it's very nicely streamlined from the 1st ed one. As a Fatemaster I usually have trouble shoe-horning reasons to complete fate steps in with characters is my only real gripe.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

I think the tarot/fate system is really cool but my first couple of characters had absolute nonsense. That's probably the toughest part.

Stuff like:

quote:

If you refuse the hero's call,
You will not heed the mentor,
And you will leave her hanging.
Frozen hearths crawl along the stone
The ends will come to all

Or

quote:

When hope drowns but in three tears
Your relic will rush & gleam
And you will remember the mirror and shatter the stream
Then in the middle of none, there is one
And the motion stutters and shutters

The second one didn't go where I thought it might - RELIC HAMMERS!

For final comparison's sake, here's my Witch Hunter:

quote:

Beyond the city walls,
you will stumble between worlds,
and find tears on the mountain's side.
Her last words are a frozen river,
and you will disappear beneath the swirling waters.

If Raspy isn't drowning him with her bare hands I don't know what I've done wrong. My FM also ran the game much more like a D&D campaign than anything anyway - the fates were pretty meaningless by the end IMO, but I think that's just his style of running the game.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I was thinking while flipping through it that it might be difficult to tie some of the fate lines together, but holy moley that last one is fantastic. I really wanna give this game a shot. My main problem is every time I look into a new game, that means I'll probably have to end up running it (hasn't actually happened yet, I've only ever GM'ed a very simple DnD one shot for new players, and tried to GM Promethean: The Created first edition which is.... not an easy game to run and it fizzled out real fast), but I always really want to be a player, not a GM.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hola goons. My friend picked us both up starters to try out Malifaux for my birthday! How can we best go about learning this? Starter box vs starter box, is there a sort of recommended learning scenario or points format? Any advice or tips?

I've got the Misaki starter and the models are great but I've no idea where to start.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
I haven't played this version myself, but I've been told that Henchman Hardcore is a good way to learn. If you find the Gaining Grounds Season 1 PDF, it should be in there. It does start you without your master (I believe it's a Henchman and like, 3 other models with a fixed pool of objectives), but it seems like a good way to learn the basics without overwhelming you with models. After that, I would try to get up to 50 stone games, which you'll probably need a few more models for. Ten thunders have a lot of great versatile models, but there are a lot of great Last Blossom models you could look at too. Good luck!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Ototo would definitely make a good Henchman for Henchman Hardcore. Who did your friend pick up?

I'd definitely start with that or a 35-ish stone game (that's usually about what you'll get in a Core box alone), then go from there. Last Blossom is rad, I recommend the Wokou Raiders if you can find them! The Crime Syndicate is also a must-have for them, imo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My buddy picked up Kaeris, we can definitely look into the options, 35pts might he an idea it just depends on buying more before we start you know?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Quick rules question goons.

With the triggers that enable additional damage depending on suits in the duel total. Do you count the initial card that was used to enable the trigger?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Quick rules question goons.

With the triggers that enable additional damage depending on suits in the duel total. Do you count the initial card that was used to enable the trigger?

Yes. It's the minimum requirement, not a cost.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Awesome. Thanks!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

For anyone interested in getting the paint-flex side of the hobby on during these trying times.

Wyrd is doing one of their painting competitions for webstore credit. Even if you don't' win anything you can stand to get a free $10 from leaving some :nice: comments.

Link Below:
https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/151463-rotten-harvest-2020-announcement/

Full disclosure: I do not have any business dealings with Wyrd miniatures but have been an unpaid tester for them in the past (unless pizza counts).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I might enter my Ototo once he's done. Really enjoying 'faux atm, a shame the lockdown is limiting my game time!

E: odd question but would you ever run a second Tanuki in TT? I've got two left but gave the third to a friend. I'm contemplating selling the second if he's never going to see table time.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Extra post on a very quiet thread, but has anyone here built the Katashiro? The crouching one seems a bit of a bugger when it comes to the rear of the model, I'm a bit confused on how it goes together.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Flipswitch posted:

Extra post on a very quiet thread, but has anyone here built the Katashiro? The crouching one seems a bit of a bugger when it comes to the rear of the model, I'm a bit confused on how it goes together.

I haven't built those ones myself, but Wyrd has an online instruction database you can search. Here's the Katashiro:

https://www.wyrd-games.net/plastic-build-instructions/2018/8/13/the-undying?rq=katashiro

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, i'm referencing that as I'm building their models, but it isn't very helpful. :(

Thanks though. :)

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah, even with the build instructions some of them definitely still come with question marks xD

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah, i'm referencing that as I'm building their models, but it isn't very helpful. :(

Thanks though. :)

gently caress ME that dude comes in a lot of parts.
I built multiple copies of their new kits for GenCon but that model wasn't in there. Sorry. :(

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I figured it out eventually but there's some gap fill to be done (my least favourite part of the hobby!). Fair play the models are lovely but proper bastards to put together.

I treated myself to my second Master today too which should arrive tomorrow or Wed: I picked up Youko.

How come this thread is so quiet? Are people still playing on SA?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Flipswitch posted:

I figured it out eventually but there's some gap fill to be done (my least favourite part of the hobby!). Fair play the models are lovely but proper bastards to put together.

I treated myself to my second Master today too which should arrive tomorrow or Wed: I picked up Youko.

How come this thread is so quiet? Are people still playing on SA?

Just not really a lot of opportunities to play with the pandemic plus general pandemic malaise in getting projects done. I've bought a bunch of new stuff but I've had the 2e starter / Marcus 3e / Euripedes sets sitting in various stages of completion on my paint desk for...a while. I think I didn't appreciate just how much my play-it-painted philosophy for Malifaux would bite me in the rear end when I don't have opportunities to play :smith:

I'm looking forward to the new Explorers stuff though, probably going to grab Lord Cooper and his supplemental box set in December.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why this thread is so quiet. Game had a tough transition from 2e to 3e, lost a lot of players in a quiet like 10+ months. I think the thread was pretty quiet before then too, though. Shame cause the game is a lot of fun and seems like it has a pretty good following (some good podcasts and other content out there). Just quiet on SA :shrug:

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

The first tournament in Atlanta since Quarantine is planned for November, so we'll see how it goes. It's been very hard on the new edition I imagine, not even 12 months in and having all communal spaces for people to enjoy your thing evaporate. At least they cyberpunk set did well I believe.

Edit: I mean I've played 2 games of Malifaux in the last 18 months partly because I moved 800 miles away to a new city and don't know nobody here.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

For a newbie the keyword system is really nice. But we're about to go into another heavy lockdown so the only gaming for me is via vassal which feels ancient to use. :(

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Annoyingly I finally found a local player at a local club I didn't know existed just before the plague swept through the UK. Now he's moved further away so is only in the area for monthly all day meets, but due to restrictions the club capacity is way down. It's a matter now of booking a morning or afternoon slot so I don't see him coming back until he's able to get full days in.

So still I lurk here without really knowing how the game works in practice....

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just not really a lot of opportunities to play with the pandemic plus general pandemic malaise in getting projects done. I've bought a bunch of new stuff but I've had the 2e starter / Marcus 3e / Euripedes sets sitting in various stages of completion on my paint desk for...a while. I think I didn't appreciate just how much my play-it-painted philosophy for Malifaux would bite me in the rear end when I don't have opportunities to play :smith:

I'm looking forward to the new Explorers stuff though, probably going to grab Lord Cooper and his supplemental box set in December.
I'm quite keen on Basse and McCabe which is a financially dangerous mix with Explorers.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I got to play a bunch of 3e, and I liked it. It's main problem is that movement is literally king - a few masters with high maneuverability destroy any force with less movement abilities. Misaki and Mei Feng trounced anyone else in our scene unless you specifically set yourself up to counter them AND your opponent was dumb. Being able to teleport all over meant they could assassinate weak models to reduce the number of actions available to you, and there wasn't much you could do to stop them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I take back what I said about Katashiro. Minako Rei is even worse to build oh my god.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

For a newbie the keyword system is really nice. But we're about to go into another heavy lockdown so the only gaming for me is via vassal which feels ancient to use. :(

There's lots of M3E stuff on TableTop Simulator (but I don't know my way around TTS enough to tell you if it's any good)

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

I take back what I said about Katashiro. Minako Rei is even worse to build oh my god.

*laughs in Lampads*

Though it is nice to see posts here. I played a pretty good amount of games during release/GG0, but the pandemic has really hosed that up. I've played one game with the GG1 scheme pools since it came out. I don't think the TTS stuff has anything up to date or even complete, from what I've looked at. Vassal's the main thing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Got a game coming up this weekend, playing vs Guild?:

Standard Deployment
Public Enemies
Claim Jump, Catch & Release, Let Them Bleed, Leave Your Mark & Research Mission

Thinking of taking Claim Jump and Let Them Bleed.

Misaki Katanaka Crew (Ten Thunders)
Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
Misaki Katanaka
Totem(s):
Shang
Hires:
Ototo
Minako Rei
Katanaka Sniper
Torakage
Dawn Serpent
Tanuki
References:
Katashiro
Karmic Fate
Wanyudo

Have some mobility pieces to help with Claim Jump and some nice avenues of attack between the Sniper, Serpent and Minako/Katashiro. Plus Ototo can just bludgeon someone to death if need be?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
This is just preference/dummyproofing for me but I would take out the dawn serpent and take a full 10 stones plus a couple upgrades. With two henches, i usually burn a lot of stones and I find masked agent or trained ninja to be pretty good, even when they give redundant abilities to minions.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

jodai posted:

This is just preference/dummyproofing for me but I would take out the dawn serpent and take a full 10 stones plus a couple upgrades. With two henches, i usually burn a lot of stones and I find masked agent or trained ninja to be pretty good, even when they give redundant abilities to minions.
Ah I ended up playing before your post! I did burn through some stones but I haven't really experimented with upgrades just yet. There's a ton of interesting options in this game. :)

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Got introduced to some henchman hardcore last night, fun stuff.
Now I'm deciding between the Parker and Captain Zipp boxes...

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

As far as Captain Zipp goes, he has more cross-faction potential, which is both good and bad since there's probably some weird one-off model in a box you won't otherwise need.

Flipswitch, what master did your opponent play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

midwifecrisis posted:

As far as Captain Zipp goes, he has more cross-faction potential, which is both good and bad since there's probably some weird one-off model in a box you won't otherwise need.

Flipswitch, what master did your opponent play?
Lady J. I'm still not sure how to approach dealing with her.