Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I liked atlantis and Jason momoa continues to be cool

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

New TOR ebook freebie is up til the 23rd

quote:

The Haunting of Tram Car 015

Cairo, 1912: The case started as a simple one for the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities — handling a possessed tram car.

Soon, however, Agent Hamed Nasr and his new partner Agent Onsi Youssef are exposed to a new side of Cairo stirring with suffragettes, secret societies, and sentient automatons in a race against time to protect the city from an encroaching danger that crosses the line between the magical and the mundane.

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NoneMoreNegative posted:

New TOR ebook freebie is up til the 23rd

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

On a forward-going basis please consider the use of the word "Suffragist" rather than "Suffragette" as this was an intentionally diminutive/pejorative term coined by the opponents of universal enfranchisement?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

On a forward-going basis please consider the use of the word "Suffragist" rather than "Suffragette" as this was an intentionally diminutive/pejorative term coined by the opponents of universal enfranchisement?
p. rich coming from you lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uptime Sinclair posted:

p. rich coming from you lol

I have literally no idea what you're on about but I'll nevertheless suggest that you BVGFY?

:shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why do you end every single one of your posts with a question mark

you know we don't even use punctuation in here right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to intimate that insufferable upwards inflection at the end of every sentence

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Fool posted:

I liked atlantis and Jason momoa continues to be cool

atlantis is great fun

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

I have literally no idea what you're on about but I'll nevertheless suggest that you BVGFY?

:shrug:
relax hoss, the joke was you “diminish” by constantly using your acronyms, regardless of what anyone would prefer you do, like you did here for example

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uptime Sinclair posted:

relax hoss, the joke was you “diminish” by constantly using your acronyms, regardless of what anyone would prefer you do, like you did here for example

The use of inclusive language and referring to marginalized persons and groups by the name they wish to be known by costs nothing, though?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

The use of inclusive language and referring to marginalized persons and groups by the name they wish to be known by costs nothing, though?
A JOKE?!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
That story sounds like Harry Potter fanfic with an (un-)healthy scoop of orientalist othering ladled on top and probably would not be an enjoyable read?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i mean on that we can agree but it’s not like nmn wrote the book or summary either

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

why do you end every single one of your posts with a question mark

you know we don't even use punctuation in here right

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If you're going to Tor, Alex Acks wrote a couple of articles that were v.deece: https://www.tor.com/2017/05/22/arrakis-tatooine-and-the-science-of-desert-planets/ and wrote Hunger Makes The Wolf (under the name Alex Wells) which was a great listen (it's in the Audible member library if you have a subscription there)?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jesus gently caress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

suffragette was the adopted term in britain (they liked to write it suffraGETte, for getting the vote), and this being about egypt in 1912 it is presumably a british perspective.

the primary reason the us movement avoided the term was that the self-proclaimed suffragettes were pretty militant, setting bombs, doing petty vandalism, and spitting at the police. the us suffragists meanwhile went the honest-debate route and tried to not associate themselves with the rowdier side.

in short the suffragettes were cooler.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
a simpler time, when a woman could spit at police and not have her eye put out with a giant rubber bullet

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

suffragette was the adopted term in britain (they liked to write it suffraGETte, for getting the vote), and this being about egypt in 1912 it is presumably a british perspective.

the primary reason the us movement avoided the term was that the self-proclaimed suffragettes were pretty militant, setting bombs, doing petty vandalism, and spitting at the police. the us suffragists meanwhile went the honest-debate route and tried to not associate themselves with the rowdier side.

in short the suffragettes were cooler.

Oh, word: I thought it was like Trotskyist/Trotskyite?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Schadenboner posted:

That story sounds like Harry Potter fanfic with an (un-)healthy scoop of orientalist othering ladled on top and probably would not be an enjoyable read?

Would you like to know what else is not an enjoyable loving read..?

Ready Player One

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Would you like to know what else is not an enjoyable loving read..?

The Silmarillion?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Schadenboner posted:

The Silmarillion?

gently caress you. this is going too far

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Oh, word: I thought it was like Trotskyist/Trotskyite?
you told me to gently caress off and you weren’t even sure of what you were saying lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Uptime Sinclair posted:

you told me to gently caress off and you weren’t even sure of what you were saying lol

Well, you got weird and aggro at me and I told you to gently caress yourself?

How's that going, by the way?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

finished sopranos s1. best ep is the college one. worst is the one with the obviously god awful terrible 90s alt rock band that christopher is too stupid to know is bad lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Well, you got weird and aggro at me and I told you to gently caress yourself?

i said it’s p. rich coming from you, sorry if that’s weird and aggro

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Uptime Sinclair posted:

finished sopranos s1.

Yikes OP, I didn't mean to suggest you should go and do this?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Yikes OP, I didn't mean to suggest you should go and do this?
lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is going on in here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Uptime Sinclair posted:

finished sopranos s1. best ep is the college one. worst is the one with the obviously god awful terrible 90s alt rock band that christopher is too stupid to know is bad lol

lol I'm rewatching it, and I'm on season 3. everyone is such a loving piece of poo poo all the time, it's so draining

best is furio and tony at the golf course intimidating the cancer doctor, and out of loving nowhere furio says "theresabeeinyouhat!" and loving slaps the doctor upside the head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvuP_OjWlU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the new dorohedoro OVA is good and hopefully we'll get another season but my hopes aren't up because it's super niche and isn't fanservice or isekai

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol I'm rewatching it, and I'm on season 3. everyone is such a loving piece of poo poo all the time, it's so draining

best is furio and tony at the golf course intimidating the cancer doctor, and out of loving nowhere furio says "theresabeeinyouhat!" and loving slaps the doctor upside the head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exvuP_OjWlU
i am reminded of one of the final eps of s1 where paulie and christopher are chasing someone through the woods. paulie says he has touched poison ivy but the way it’s shot/acted it’s kind of impossible to tell in the moment if he’s bullshitting or if he’s just being hysterical

i mean a few scenes later it’s clear he has touched it and his natural reaction was slapstick tommy boy poo poo. again, hilarious character, one of the greats

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the new dorohedoro OVA is good and hopefully we'll get another season but my hopes aren't up because it's super niche and isn't fanservice or isekai
i’m a couple eps in and i’m not sure i “get” it but it’s nice for just being on the netflix. smokes let’s go

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i am reminded of one of the final eps of s1 where paulie and christopher are chasing someone through the woods. paulie says he has touched poison ivy but the way it’s shot/acted it’s kind of impossible to tell in the moment if he’s bullshitting or if he’s just being hysterical

i mean a few scenes later it’s clear he has touched it and his natural reaction was slapstick tommy boy poo poo. again, hilarious character, one of the greats

he's def my fav. he's got the best hair, it's like jersey dracula punk rock. the wings keep getting bigger through the show lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Uptime Sinclair posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

SmokaDustbowl posted:

he's def my fav. he's got the best hair, it's like jersey dracula punk rock. the wings keep getting bigger through the show lol
at this point he’s solidly number one but silvio is a fairly close second for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Uptime Sinclair posted:

at this point he’s solidly number one but silvio is a fairly close second for me

silvio has intense goblin energy

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 20, 2020